The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tannehill at his worst on 3rd down

3 posters

Go down

Tannehill at his worst on 3rd down Empty Tannehill at his worst on 3rd down

Post by mercury22nathan Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:02 am

a statistic that must change if the Phins are to return to winning ways:

Anthony Frascone of 305sports.com did some research on how quarterbacks have fared on third down since 2012, and a couple of interesting things emerged about Ryan Tannehill:

During his career, only 37 percent of Tannehill’s third down passing attempts resulted in first downs, among the worst for quarterbacks who have been starters the last few years. Ben Roethlisberger, Matt Ryan, Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees and Tom Brady are at 46 percent.

Only Blake Bortles had a lower yards per attempt on third downs among 20-plus quarterbacks studied. Not only must Tannehill’s completion percentage improve on third down (from 58), but the Dolphins need to trust their blockers and allow Tannehill to throw past the first-down yard marker more often.

On 3rd and 11 to 15, Miami has gotten a first down only 12 percent of the time with Tannehill under center,worst among multiyear starting quarterbacks.

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article217877845.html

so what's the root cause... over reliance on dinks and dunks to Landry? Gase and his love for bubble screens? Tannehill's inaccuracy in going deep? lack of a real TE? the OL not allowing enough time? perhaps all of the above. the real question... can it be fixed?

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Tannehill at his worst on 3rd down Empty Re: Tannehill at his worst on 3rd down

Post by JMP Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:16 am

Tannehill to throw past the first-down yard marker more often.

That's the biggest issue...for some reason, it seems like we very rarely throw at or passed the sticks on third down. I suspect it is by design, but regardless of the reason I am sick of seeing a 2-yard pass on 3rd and 6. I tend to blame Gase, since it seems like that's his plan. We saw the same thing throughout the preseason, so I'm not sure how much things will change in the regular season.

My guess is that with Amendola, Wilson and Grant, we'll continue to throw short of the sticks and hope that speed or broken tackles will get the job done. Ideally, I think Gase wants to open the field with deeper decoy routes and then throw short, hoping there is space for one of the quick smurfs to run. Personally, I'd prefer to attack downfield or at least throw the ball far enough to get the first, but I guess we'll see what happens.

To me, that was one of the biggest mistakes with how Gase used Landry. Despite the new narrative they are trying to force on us, the fact is Landry was a good route runner, knew how to get open and was tough as nails. Using him on primarily very short passes was a waste of his skillset.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:55 am

I don't understand why if you're going to run Gase's style of offense that you don't accentuate Landry with Amendola.  It'd drive defenses nuts to have two legit threats in the slot.

Tannehill's deep ball supposedly has improved from year to year, but I don't care about statistics anymore.

He's got to kick ass this year or there's no reason to continue with him.

Even in a shit losing season, we will be able to see if Tannehill did well.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down