The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New GM and Head Coach

5 posters

Go down

New GM and Head Coach  Empty New GM and Head Coach

Post by white1 Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:29 am

Since I already have a bold prediction up... let me offer a few thoughts on this topic.

Don't have any ideas for GM. I don't know the young front office execs on the NFL radar. Ross just needs to interview three of them and hire one. Or Louis Riddick? I think Peter King said he really needs an opportunity because he's good.

Head coach. I want Dan Campbell back. Give him at least 3 years and let him learn on the job. That was probably the toughest squad I've seen, even with their warts and deficits. At least they played tough and physical, and the penalties they got were penalties of aggression.

I'm so sick of this finesse, dink and dunk, crappy scheme we are running on offense, and our toothless fucking "bend-then-break-then hemorrhage points" defense.

Let Campbell put his thumbprint on this team and at least transform back into a hard-nose, physical squad. If he can't get the job done, at least we'll have that ready for his successor.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

New GM and Head Coach  Empty Re: New GM and Head Coach

Post by DolFan 316 Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:42 pm

Wait...CAMPBELL?!?! The guy who hasn't been hard from since while other coaches younger than him were being hired left and right? The guy who had the Fins playing great for all of 6 quarters before relapsing back to the same old bums they were (and still are)? I was all fired up until you said his name Crying or Very sad

I just want someone with an offensive approach that's not bringing a butter knife to a gun fight where everyone else is using fully automatic weapons. And I'd like a new owner while we're at it.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:30 pm

And I'd like a new owner while we're at it.

Too much to hope for. Ross will own this team for quite some time.

Mark my words. Campbell will succeed as a head coach. He needs TRUE coordinators because he's not an Xs and Os guy. He was missing way too much in his stint here once Grandpa Joe was fired. I'd love to see him back in Miami.

Or we could hire the next Gase? A self-proclaimed offensive genius who will try (and fail) to implement a finesse system that works if you have Peyton Manning at QB?

I'm thinking Campbell...
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:49 pm

I'm thinking a third option Cool

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:22 pm

white1 wrote:

Mark my words.  Campbell will succeed as a head coach.  He needs TRUE coordinators because he's not an Xs and Os guy.  He was missing way too much in his stint here once Grandpa Joe was fired.  I'd love to see him back in Miami.

While I'd prefer an experienced head coach, I would be totally fine with Campbell - as you said, assuming he has good coordinators. Campbell is a leader of men, and he had the Dolphins fired up and ready to run through a wall for him....the exact opposite of the soft, uninspiring Gase.

The ideal situation is for Ross to hand the keys to a LEGIT football mind, and let him hire the GM, head coach, etc. - the way the Jags have done with Tom Coughlin. I haven't given enough thought to who the "legit football mind" should be, but there are certainly people smarter than Tannenbaum available for the job.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:26 pm

I haven't given enough thought to who the "legit football mind" should be, but there are certainly people smarter than Tannenbaum available for the job.

Totally agree on the approach and hear your point. Coughlin would have been an outstanding hire for us, I'm so jealous of that Coughlin-Marrone combo.

Hell, the NFL doesn't want weak teams so they keep a damn list of up and coming executives themselves! All you have to do is interview a few people and go with somebody you like.

Tannenbaum has had his shot. This is team two for him. Time for some fresh blood on this team.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:03 pm

Campbell screams "head coach" to me.  He's not a self-proclaimed genius, he's not a great college coach, he's not a hand-picked successor guy, he's a head coach.  All he has to do is be the chairman, get guys under him who know the game (of which there are tons of out there, but so few actually get the chance because it's a huge boys club), and then use the experience he has garnered since he left Miami for New Orleans and has been the assistant head coach.

As JMP and White said, he's a leader of men.  Mike Tomlin is like that.  No one is talking about Mike Tomlin's football guru status, but he's a damn good head coach that fields tough teams every season.  We don't need a genius, we need a leader.  Let the coordinators be the "geniuses" (which they rarely are).

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:24 pm

I really, truly cannot understand why we didn't pounce on John Dorsey when he became available last year after the power struggle with Reid. He already has Cleveland in better shape than we're in.

Having said that, we need to hire the GM first and let him hire the coach. That's the right way to do this IMO.

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:45 am

Having said that, we need to hire the GM first and let him hire the coach. That's the right way to do this IMO.

Not to nitpick, but given the power structure in place and the fact Ross is never in Miami, I think you need a Tannenbaum equivalent too.

So I think the move is, hire your VP of football operations (or whatever the title is), then that person hires the GM, and together they interview and hire the head coach.

This is all assuming Ross actually wants to win, and is smart enough to keep himself far away from any football decisions. He desperately needs a Coughlin/Dorsey in charge, and I hope he realizes that. He put the right structure in place with Tannenbaum-Grier-Gase, it looks to me like he hired the wrong guy to run it all.

white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:09 am

white1 wrote:

Not to nitpick, but given the power structure in place and the fact Ross is never in Miami, I think you need a Tannenbaum equivalent too.

So I think the move is, hire your VP of football operations (or whatever the title is), then that person hires the GM, and together they interview and hire the head coach.

This is all assuming Ross actually wants to win, and is smart enough to keep himself far away from any football decisions. He desperately needs a Coughlin/Dorsey in charge, and I hope he realizes that.  He put the right structure in place with Tannenbaum-Grier-Gase, it looks to me like he hired the wrong guy to run it all.

Perfect post.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down