The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dolphins' Head Coach search

+10
white1
HalCHorn
JMP
rightchea
DolFan 316
Umix10
mercury22nathan
Lacesout
JEGnj
finfanatic
14 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Dolphins' Head Coach search Empty Dolphins' Head Coach search

Post by mercury22nathan Mon Jan 04, 2016 3:18 pm

The Miami Dolphins are in talks with their first head coach search candidate as we speak, one day after concluding their season. The team is today meeting with former Atlanta Falcons head coach Mike Smith.

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins_in_depth/2016/01/i-promised-suprises-heres-a-surprise-the-miami-dolphins-have-completed-their-first-head-coach-search-one-day-after-conclud.html

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Dolphins' Head Coach search Empty Re: Dolphins' Head Coach search

Post by JMP Mon Jan 04, 2016 3:37 pm

Smith certainly had some success with Atlanta, before the wheels fell off. I don't know...he's not a guy that excites me, but he is more qualified than most of the names being thrown around.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Mon Jan 04, 2016 3:48 pm

It's going to be Shanahan, because he won a Super Bowl 18 years ago. And if he turns it down then Campbell will be re-hired because nobody else really wants the job.

Is Teryl Austin black BTW? I'm asking because I suspect he's only being interviewed to satisfy that Rooney Rule that every other team knows how to skirt except the Fins.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:01 pm

DolFan 316 wrote:It's going to be Shanahan, because he won a Super Bowl 18 years ago. And if he turns it down then Campbell will be re-hired because nobody else really wants the job.

Is Teryl Austin black BTW? I'm asking because I suspect he's only being interviewed to satisfy that Rooney Rule that every other team knows how to skirt except the Fins.

re: Austin. Yes. And that may well be, though he warrants an interview IMO.

I like Harold Goodwin's record in Arizona but haven't seen any indication he's going to be interviewed.

I really think Shanahan's time has passed. Hell, I'd much rather see Saban back here than him. At least Saban is a dick who still wins.

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:19 pm

I will be shocked, SHOCKED I SAY....if Dan Campbell gets anything more than a token interview.

Shanahan will be better than Philbin IMO.

Smith, not so much.

Really, none of the names excites me.

Hal makes a good point though.....Saban.

If he wins another title with Alabama, might his ego not want to come back to the place he FAILED, and prove all of us wrong about him?

I saw where he said if he had gotten Brees while in Miami, he would still be in the NFL??

And Saban is an arrogant terd, but I do think he knows what it takes to build a team, and this time, he knows that giving credence to the NFL "braintrust" might not be the best course of action, especially when it comes to personnel?

Not much chance I am thinking.

Probably gonna be another settle for some guy without the smarts to know this franchise is a nuclear dumpster fire and then have the Drunken Monkey Clan claim it was who they wanted all along!!!

I think I have seen this movie before.

finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:36 pm

HalCHorn wrote:re: Austin.  Yes.  And that may well be, though he warrants an interview IMO.

I never said he didn't warrant one on his own merits, I actually agree. But it sure is odd how pretty much every other name on that list is white scratch

finfanatic wrote:I will be shocked, SHOCKED I SAY....if Dan Campbell gets anything more than a token interview.

Prepare to be shocked. If anything he's the co-favorite right now because in Ross's mind winning a meaningless game against the Pats after looking like possibly the league's worst team for two months = the players giving their all for Campbell. Seriously, this is how Ross thinks.

Hal makes a good point though.....Saban.

If he wins another title with Alabama, might his ego not want to come back to the place he FAILED, and prove all of us wrong about him?

I saw where he said if he had gotten Brees while in Miami, he would still be in the NFL??

And Saban is an arrogant terd, but I do think he knows what it takes to build a team, and this time, he knows that giving credence to the NFL "braintrust" might not be the best course of action, especially when it comes to personnel?

Because of the whole blatant lying thing, people forget that Saban is responsible for one of only two winning Fins seasons in the last 13 years. Of course he flopped the season after and it was his horrible drafts that contributed to the roster being hot garbage, but still...

Before anybody freaks out I am NOT saying I want him back, I'm just saying leading the 21st century Fins to a winning season is an accomplishment on par with curing cancer. Not sure Saban could do it with the Ross Fins though, that sort of a challenge makes curing cancer look easy Laughing

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:45 pm

I can confidently say I would rather give Sparano another shot at being our head coach than Shanahan. And that's saying something.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:25 pm

I sure how comfortable with Miami going back and getting Sparano over Shanahan but both are bad. Miami going after Mike Smith is a surprise to me since he didn't coach last year.

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:46 pm

Fins are only interviewing Smith because someone woke Ross up from his afternoon drool-nap to tell him Smith was a playoff coach 5 years ago.

At least Al Davis had 30 great to mostly decent years as an owner before he went senile. Ross took over the Fins at roughly the same age Davis was when he started literally losing his mind.

(Sighs.)

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JEGnj Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:43 pm

I would be intrigued by McDaniels. Some of the great coaches fail their first time, go back to coordinator and then are successful 2nd time around and learn from some mistakes. Either guy from the Pats. Just someone that knows how to win.
JEGnj
JEGnj

Back to top Go down

Post by JEGnj Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:45 pm

On the local stations they said Shannahan has friends in media that like him so expect to hear a lot of pumped up info on him.
JEGnj
JEGnj

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:50 pm

There's nothing on Matt Patricia's resume that suggests he is head coach material at age 41. And the New England defense belongs to Bill Bellichick, so I'm not sure exactly what Patricia adds to the equation.

My problems with McDaniels are that he has a crap personality and he's failed at the two jobs he had outside of New England. Plus, I think having Tom Brady as his QB makes McDaniels look a lot better than he actually is. I don't view him as a head coach, at all.

So, yeah, having the Patriots on your resume is nice...but I'm not sure it translates to being a good head coach.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:07 pm

New England has yet to have an assistant (Weis, Crennel, etc) or even GM (Pioli, who has clearly been bested in KC by Dorsey) do well after leaving the organization.

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Lacesout Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:56 pm

JMP wrote:Smith certainly had some success with Atlanta, before the wheels fell off.  I don't know...he's not a guy that excites me, but he is more qualified than most of the names being thrown around.    

Actually I'm good with Smith. We can stop right there. Not that it makes much difference with the Dolphins promising more of the same.

Lacesout

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:24 am

Merc, hope you don't mind - I changed your thread title to make this the 'official' head coach thread.

Here's the latest from Armando:
http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins_in_depth/2016/01/the-miami-dolphins-will-continue-their-head-coach-search-at-team-headquarters-in-new-york-city-tuesday-the-club-is-schedule.html
Armando wrote:
The club is scheduled to interview former two-time Super Bowl winning coach Mike Shanahan, search point man Mike Tannenbaum said Monday. And Detroit Lions defensive coordinator Teryl Austin also is scheduled to interview.

The schedule the remainder of the week per multiple sources:

Buffalo Bills running back coach Anthony Lynn is scheduled to interview on Wednesday. Chicago Bears offensive coordinator Adam Gase is scheduled to interview on Thursday.

Dolphins interim coach Dan Campbell, who had a 5-7 record during his stint, is scheduled to interview on Friday.

That will round out a week that included former Atlanta Falcons head coach Mike Smith on Monday.

Chip Kelly was vacationing in Key West recently. The Dolphins have shown no interest best I can figure.

Sean Payton has signaled he's ready to jump from New Orleans and the asking price is a No. 2 draft pick. The Dolphins, you'll remember, talked to me about giving up two No. 3s instead. But either Payton isn't interested in them or they aren't interested in him or both, based on what has transpired so far.

And I simply find it hard to believe Stephen Ross is going to be fine without at least making a pitch for a big-name talent. By the way, Ross is in New York. The Dolphins search committee is now in New York. What just happened in New York on Monday? What important NFL coaching story just shook Gotham?

Thinking ....

Oh yeah, Tom Coughlin stepped down as the New York Giants head coach at age 69. He didn't want to, folks. This was Coughlin seeing the writing on the wall (Book of Daniel in the Bible for you heathens) and beating a graceful retreat instead of waiting to be fired. But he still wants to coach. And far-fetched as this sounds, why wouldn't the Dolphins talk to the guy?

He's in New York. They're in New York. The Dolphins are all about New York!!!!

This year's crop of coaching talent is "horrible," as one league source told me Sunday. Another called it, "weak." It is especially bad if Payton doesn't want to come to Miami (that's my guess of what this is about).

So here is a crazy, out-of-the-box idea: The Dolphins interview Coughlin. And they interview everyone else they are considering. And if Coughlin still has his fastball, I go with Coughlin.

As long as he lets Campbell be on his staff -- kind of as the coach in waiting. This will require Campbell to also nail his interview, by the way.

Anyway, you hire Coughlin, you know he's going to be able to put together a strong staff because he's Tom freakin' Coughlin. And putting together a strong staff is a major consideration for the Dolphins. And you know he's going to be able to give you that much-needed culture change Ross said Sunday was needed because you're letting him loose on a locker room that badly needs it for a couple of years. And Coughlin has worked all his Giants career with a strong GM so he's not going to moan about Tannenbaum having major say over personnel decisions.

And in a couple of years when Coughlin is ready to step away, the culture has been changed, and perhaps Campbell is ready ...

Voila!

Smooth transition.

Sound far-fetched? No more far-fetched than considering Anthony Lynn a serious candidate.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:28 am

Also hearing that the Phins have requested permission to interview Hue Jackson...

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:44 am

Good with smith Coughlin or Jackson. Coughlin is probably best of the bunch
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:15 am

My problem with Coughlin is his age. If the Phins were close to winning, I'd be all over Coughlin. But IMHO this team is at least 2-3 years away from competing, and that's only if they suddenly figure out how to draft well and stop throwing tons of cash at overrated free agents. Not sure a soon-to-be 70-year old head coach is the right fit.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:35 am

JMP wrote:My problem with Coughlin is his age.  If the Phins were close to winning, I'd be all over Coughlin.  But IMHO this team is at least 2-3 years away from competing, and that's only if they suddenly figure out how to draft well and stop throwing tons of cash at overrated free agents.  Not sure a soon-to-be 70-year old head coach is the right fit.

I have to agree. I not sure that he could handle the every day heat of just living in Miami.

Hue Jackson is not impressive to me. He only been a head coach for one year and the Raiders went 8-8, so the fact that he never really been a head coach longer than one year makes me question his able to make a bad team good

Smith is probably the only candidate that I would love to see in Miami at the moment but if Miami does go after Hue Jackson then that is fine as well.

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:41 am

I think Hue Jackson looks better to me because I really don't like anyone else! LOL I also think he'd fit well with Tannenbaum/Grier...as I've said, I think they want to build a "ground and pound" offense, and Jackson's teams have always had strong running games. I also think Jackson has been around long enough to build a strong staff.

I think I'd be OK with Mike Smith...his winning percentage in Atlanta is certainly attractive.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:00 am

Word here in NY is that the Giants want to keep Coughlin as some sort of consultant or something...we'll see.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:16 am

I'd favor Hue Jackson over the candidates mentioned. I have some reservations about Doug Marrone, but all indications are that the guy can coach and he could also fit into this structure.

Glad that Chip Kelly is nowhere to be found in this search. I think the league has caught up with his offense.

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:49 am

Yeah, Marrone is probably an ideal fit for what I think the Phins want to be. He's another candidate that has a crap personality and has trouble getting along with people...that seems to be the case with a lot of these guys.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:00 pm

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nfl/miami-dolphins/article53002960.html

The Dolphins asked permission to speak to three AFC East assistants (Patriots coordinators Josh McDaniels and Matt Patricia and Bills assistant head coach Anthony Lynn) and Tannenbaum said all coaches interviewed will be asked “theirs assessments on everything. We’re going to come out of this — and I have in the past — better for it. We’re going to learn a ton.

“We’re going to hear things we don’t want to hear. But that’s really, frankly, the only way we’re going to get better. That includes their assessment of our quarterback. And, you know, how do we win our division? What do you see as our perceived strengths? What are our weaknesses?”

is it me or does this sound like the Phins are interviewing the divisional opponents coaches because, well, they keep beating the Phins and the Phins have no idea why. its like the Phins hierarchy has no idea what's wrong with their team so they have to ask the opposition to tell them.

"Gee, we keep going out and spending all this money on free agents and hiring crappy coaches with terrible systems and we have no idea why we're still losing - can someone else tell us what is wrong?

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by Umix10 Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:11 pm

The most important thing that the next coach needs is how to motivate his team, how to coach the best out of his playrers and use those two to produce a scheme that fits.

I miss Don Shula because imho he is the only coach in history who adapted his style to his personnel.

The best coach for the Dolphins will need to be someone who can identify the weaknesses and how he communicates this to Grier and Tannebaum. If that relationship fails the nothing will change
Umix10
Umix10

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next