The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

So what do you guys think of Kyler Murray?

+6
rightchea
Degarmo
mercury22nathan
white1
HalCHorn
JMP
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

So what do you guys think of Kyler Murray? Empty So what do you guys think of Kyler Murray?

Post by JMP Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:47 pm

So, Murray officially declared for the NFL draft. Anyone think he's going to be good in the NFL?

My gut reaction:

He's only started one season. I definitely prefer a more experienced QB, especially if I'm taking him in round one. But ignoring the college inexperience for a moment:

The dude is 5'9" and under 200 lbs!!! How the hell is he going to play in the NFL? scratch

Sure, he had a great season...but the NFL is a different animal. I'm not convinced his passing game will translate to the NFL, not as that height. You'd have to really design a crazy offense to give him passing lanes...like rollouts on every play or something. I just don't see it.

Grier is a Parcells disciple, so that makes me think there's no chance in hell he'll be a Phin...but who knows???

What do you guys think?

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

So what do you guys think of Kyler Murray? Empty Re: So what do you guys think of Kyler Murray?

Post by HalCHorn Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:29 am

He did some amazing things, but I think I'd play baseball if I had his decision. I know this decision worked out for Russell Wilson, but I think Kyler Murray could be a star CF with a twenty year career in a sport that pays better overall. I don't see him lasting past his rookie contract on the football field.

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

So what do you guys think of Kyler Murray? Empty Re: So what do you guys think of Kyler Murray?

Post by white1 Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:00 am

I think I’d pass on Murray. Just too extreme of an exception from a measurable standpoint.

That said, still would be exciting and fun to watch if we were to draft him. Better be sold on all the intangibles, accuracy, arm - everything outside size.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:05 am

absolutely if you draft Murray you have to tailor your entire offense to fit his unconventional skills - and even then its a huge gamble.  but i know just the team that might try this.  the Arizona Cardinals will trade down with some team looking to draft Haskins picking up a boatload of picks.  they might even unload Rosen for a relatively high pick to a QB starved team.  and the Murray is the perfect fit to run Kingsbury's scheme.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:07 am

Rumors to that scenario are flying around. They might even just draft him then trade Rosen.

If that happens... would the Fins want Rosen?
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:55 am

No, too short for the NFL. Drew Brees has the "excellent short QB" thing sewed up at 6'0". Three inches shorter means he'll have to run a lot, and that means injuries, and that means short career, or shortened seasons, and as Mad Dog Mandich always used to say, it's about ability AND durability.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:56 am

white1 wrote:Rumors to that scenario are flying around. They might even just draft him then trade Rosen.

If that happens... would the Fins want Rosen?

If I were the guy in charge I would vote a hearty hell no.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:48 am

Rosen intrigued me last season. I didn't like him much in the draft, but I thought he played very well at times for the Cards - on a garbage team. I wouldn't give up a first for him, which is likely what it would take - but I think he's at least worth exploring.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:03 am

If the Cards misplay the trade and draft Murray while Rosen is still on the roster... possible to pry him away for a 2nd or 2nd plus.

That would be really interesting.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:16 pm

idk...Murray kinda reminds me of Russell wilson. I like Wilson but dont see him as a Superbowl winning QB.

Sent from Topic'it App

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:51 pm

I love Russell Wilson...but he's about 2 inches taller and 25 pounds heavier than Murray.

If you want an NFL comparison to Murray in terms of body type, it's not Brees or Wilson - it's Pat White! Murray is of course an excellent passer (or was for one season, anyway) but he's got a Pat White-style junior high school body. Who knows...the league is changing, so maybe he's got a shot...but I don't see it.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:21 pm

Degarmo wrote:No, too short for the NFL.  Drew Brees has the "excellent short QB" thing sewed up at 6'0".  Three inches shorter means he'll have to run a lot, and that means injuries, and that means short career, or shortened seasons, and as Mad Dog Mandich always used to say, it's about ability AND durability.

That whole thing is actually a myth. Even though we all saw Pat White literally almost get killed, decades of NFL history say that a QB is far more likely to get injured in the pocket than running, even running QBs. Guys like Elway and Cunningham had the worst injuries of their career happen in the pocket, and other guys like Vick never seemed to get seriously hurt at all that I remember. Tarkenton went about 15 years without serious injury at a time when it was perfectly fine for defenders to commit outright assault on QBs.

Then again...

JMP wrote:I love Russell Wilson...but he's about 2 inches taller and 25 pounds heavier than Murray.

If you want an NFL comparison to Murray in terms of body type, it's not Brees or Wilson - it's Pat White!  Murray is of course an excellent passer (or was for one season, anyway) but he's got a Pat White-style junior high school body.  Who knows...the league is changing, so maybe he's got a shot...but I don't see it.

There is a certain minimum size threshold required to play in the NFL (I'd say Grant is actually under it but has gotten lucky so far) and I'm REALLY not understanding this sudden infatuation with shrimpy QBs because Brees and Wilson. Forget the injuries, a small QB wouldn't make it for all the other reasons listed. White literally couldn't even complete a single pass the one season he played and now we're supposed to think Murray will dominate the league? Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Manziel was another shrimp who I guess everybody is now rationalizing didn't succeed because partying, but in reality he just wasn't good enough to begin with. Even if he'd been a monk he never would've gotten any better than he was, which was mediocre at best.

Last edited by DolFan 316 on Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:21 pm; edited 1 time in total

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:04 pm

Add Doug Flutie to that list as well.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:00 pm

Well, there is another precedent for a 5'9" QB to have a lengthy career, though it requires going a few years back... :-)

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/L/LeBaEd00.htm

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:12 am

Nice work, Hal! That's awesome! "The Little General"!!! Very Happy

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:44 pm

the difference too is that everyone is tall. WR, OL, TE, and most players on defense having to make those adjustments will be harder in the NFL now a days

Sent from Topic'it App

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:52 pm

Who could take Murray in the first round? Well, there's no dumber owner of a bad team in the NFL than Stephen Ross. I'm sure he's smart in real life, but when it comes to managing his football team, Ross has made countless blunders. Ross also loves hype. He constantly invites celebrities no one cares about to games to try to draw a crowd. This would be another instance of Ross trying to draw attention to the Dolphins. He may demand for his next regime to draft Murray because he thinks a 5-foot-9, 190-pound quarterback, who thrived in a conference where zero defense is played, won't get half of his passes batted at the line of scrimmage somehow.

http://walterfootball.com/draft2019.php

perhaps not the most flattering description of Ross, yet accurate nonetheless: "no dumber owner of a bad team."

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:56 pm

I think that's a bullshit, lazy take by a clear Dolphin hater.

Ross doesn't get involved in football decisions, he chose the wrong guy in Tannenbaum and paid the price for it.

That era is over. I don't see us taking Murray unless our front office feels he is a legit franchise QB. That's going to be on Grier and Allen.

With his height.... odds are he won't qualify based on measurables alone.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:05 pm

that person clearly doesnt read sports news miami stated they are not going after a QB in the draft until 2020 or if one looks very impressive during senior bowl

Sent from Topic'it App

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:23 pm

Murray is apparently just under 5'10"...so about an inch taller than I guessed. Still really, really short. Someone on the radio said they think he can bulk up to 210 pounds or so in an NFL weight program, but I'm not so sure...looks like a small frame to me.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:27 pm

The team that takes Murray better have a plan for him. If the Dolphins take him, I guess I'd be OK with it as long as they don't try to stick him in a conventional offense - and as long as they still consider other QBs in 2020 if he fails and they get a high pick.

Looking at this draft, it appears that we could get a high quality OL or DL at 13. I'd rather have a franchise QB than anything else - I'm just not convinced that Murray fits the bill. So unless they fall in love with Murray, I'd rather build the trenches with that pick.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:16 pm

Murray is the next Pat White. No thanks. I have no desire to see another shrimpy pseudo-QB wearing a Fins uniform almost die from getting clobbered again.

I hear this draft is stacked on D. Just sayin'.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:22 pm

DolFan 316 wrote:
I hear this draft is stacked on D. Just sayin'.

Seems like OL, DT and DE are very deep in this draft, which is great news for the Phins if they really want to focus on the lines.

Right now I like the idea at Clemson DL Christian Wilkins at 13. He has position flexibility if we use multiple fronts like New England does.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:51 pm

Miami also needs to look into a WR, CB and another FS as well. McDonald is not cutting it and Fitzpatrick needs to be back where he belongs.

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:47 pm

Face it, we need help just about everywhere. Any truly productive player we can find, I'm good with it.

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next