The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Keep Tanny??

+5
Degarmo
JMP
white1
rightchea
mercury22nathan
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Keep Tanny?? Empty Keep Tanny??

Post by mercury22nathan Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:21 am

first argument i've seen to keep Tannehill...

As an example of Miami's shortsighted decision-making, it restructured Tannehill's deal before the 2018 season to create more than $11 million in cap space. If the team hadn't converted nearly $17 million of his salary into a bonus, it could cut Tannehill this offseason and owe just $2.3 million in dead money. Instead, it will owe $13.4 million in dead money for the quarterback, who missed five games in 2018 with a shoulder injury.

The Dolphins will likely look to the draft for a replacement, but that will also be difficult. Miami has the 13th overall pick, leaving the Dolphins behind teams like the Raiders, Giants, Jaguars and Broncos, all of whom could be in line to draft a quarterback. There's no guarantee they will end up with the quarterback they want, and while they could trade up to get the passer of their dreams, this roster is in tatters. They need to be amassing extra draft picks, not moving up to grab one player.

The Dolphins should be in no rush to dump Tannehill. If they don't find the passer of their dreams in the draft, they should keep the 30-year-old for another season, given that the only other passers they have in the organization are sixth-rounder Luke Falk and Jake Rudock, who's on a futures deal. (If Miami wants to tank, it can always bench Tannehill midseason.) If the Dolphins land on Kyler Murray or Dwayne Haskins without having to give away a future first-round pick, they can safely move on from Tannehill and save the $18.7 million in base salary they owe him for 2019.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/26020410/five-2019-offseason-moves-afc-team-make-bill-barnwell-predicts-trades-free-agency-cuts

okay guys, let 'er rip...

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Keep Tanny?? Empty Re: Keep Tanny??

Post by rightchea Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:01 am

Just read a article that Miami could get up to 70 million cap space if they got rid of him and several other players from the team. Keeping Tanny doesn't show fans that Miami is serious about winning anytime soon or they are just not confident at all in the QB in the draft.

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:56 am

No. No no no. Noooooo!!!!!!

How many regimes must he kill before we move on? He’s been here too long. Cap space and dead money is not the issue. We kill the rebuild day 1 if Tanny shows up to the first mini camp.

If he stays, we are doomed.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:18 am

There's no reason at all to keep Tannehill. Seriously, not one reason. It's not even a debate.

Dump all the high-priced vets and take the cap hit this season. Clear the books and prepare for the future.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:58 am

Yeah agree, in fact Omar writes we will easily have surplus cap space to carry over to next season. That’s way with some guys we will choose to keep them.

Performance and age are driving factors. Money is secondary because we have plenty. Because we don’t have any superstars on the roster.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:30 pm

white1 wrote:Yeah agree, in fact Omar writes we will easily have surplus cap space to carry over to next season. That’s way with some guys we will choose to keep them.

Performance and age are driving factors. Money is secondary because we have plenty. Because we don’t have any superstars on the roster.

Yep, exactly. I was just thinking about guys like Tannehill, Jones and McDonald that have horrific contracts with lots of dead money/cap hits if they are cut/traded. On paper, it seems like dumping them hurts the Phins' cap...but in reality, it really doesn't matter because we will have plenty of space to do whatever we need to do. It's a good time for the new regime to clean house...the cap isn't a concern.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:41 pm

I can't think of a legitimate reason to keep him.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:18 pm

Is it a sign of the times that I initially read the thread title as "Keep Tranny"?

Yes, yes it is.

The answer is no BTW.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:15 am

He needs a fresh start and so does the team.

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:44 pm

Pivoting to safety... I’d probably keep both Jones and McDonald one more year. Why? A few reasons:

- They are both due a good deal of guaranteed money this season. We’re spending it anyways, why not get a starter for it.
- they are both strong safeties. I don’t waste Minkah. I play him at his best position.
- Jones gets hurt. Having a good backup is a good idea. McDonald is expensive depth but we already spent the money and we have the cap space.
- strong safety isn’t a premium roster spot. Start Jones and focus on finding players at other, more critical roster spots.

Typically contracts are easier to get out of later in the deal. Play out 2019 with both Jones and McDonald. Move on from one or both next year.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:27 pm

white1 wrote:Pivoting to safety... I’d probably keep both Jones and McDonald one more year. Why? A few reasons:

- They are both due a good deal of guaranteed money this season. We’re spending it anyways, why not get a starter for it.
- they are both strong safeties. I don’t waste Minkah. I play him at his best position.
- Jones gets hurt. Having a good backup is a good idea. McDonald is expensive depth but we already spent the money and we have the cap space.
- strong safety isn’t a premium roster spot. Start Jones and focus on finding players at other, more critical roster spots.

Typically contracts are easier to get out of later in the deal. Play out 2019 with both Jones and McDonald. Move on from one or both next year.

I am completely, totally, and officially in favor of this cheers That is all Cool

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:12 am

I'd find a way to get rid of both safeties. Jones is declining and coming off an injury, and McDonald simply isn't very good - especially relative to his salary. I know we need a ton of DBs to run this defensive system, but I don't think either is part of the solution. Why wait? Dump 'em now and let's start shaping the roster for the long haul.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Umix10 Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:34 pm

I agree with JMP. Dump them both. The fix would be simple. Draft a corner. Move Minkah back to FS and move McCain back to the slot corner. Then take a chance on Mid level vet or even a rookie SS. Too many times where Jones and McDonald weren’t on the same page. Out with the old in with the new.
Umix10
Umix10

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:49 pm

the problem with Jones is he has to play FS if he not playing that he out of position. Fitz can play anywhere so they need someone else like Fitz

Sent from Topic'it App

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by Umix10 Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:48 pm

Not sure I agree. Jones’ best position is SS. He is a legit hitter coming downhill. Not so much in pass coverage. I think that is more attributed towards his play style. He just likes coming downhill. I think Minkah and Jones were the eventual tandem until we lost both corners and had to move Fitz to the boundary. Melifonwu was a guy I liked out of college. Don’t know what went on in Oakland but he’s in NE now. Maybe bring him in.
Umix10
Umix10

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:52 pm

Yeah, Jones is a natural SS, he's better closer to the LOS. We drafted a FS, but Crackie McCrackerson didn't want to play him there because of superior knowledge and other cocaine-fueled ideas.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:32 am

I see Miami trading down to get some draft picks so they can get a couple more DB

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:35 am

'd find a way to get rid of both safeties. Jones is declining and coming off an injury, and McDonald simply isn't very good - especially relative to his salary. I know we need a ton of DBs to run this defensive system, but I don't think either is part of the solution. Why wait? Dump 'em now and let's start shaping the roster for the long haul.

I see your point. Honestly, would not be disappointed if the team goes this way. I'd keep them a year, but I'm indifferent.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:42 pm

McDonald is technically a waste of space in my opinion. Jones would be the only one I keep but would trade if it means more money in my pocket

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:54 am

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/02/27/brian-flores-on-ryan-tannehill-we-havent-made-any-decisions/

I know he's just playing the game. No need to tip our hand and give other teams an idea what we're going to do.

But it makes me nervous.

I'll breathe a sigh of relief when the transaction to release Tanny is official.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:51 am

Here's an article from NJ.com comparing Tanny to 5 other options as potential 2019 starter for QB-needy teams. Wait for it....

https://www.nj.com/sports/2019/03/nick-foles-dwayne-haskins-josh-rosen-or-kyler-murray-ranking-6-top-available-qbs-against-each-other.html
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:19 am

white1 wrote:Here's an article from NJ.com comparing Tanny to 5 other options as potential 2019 starter for QB-needy teams.  Wait for it....

https://www.nj.com/sports/2019/03/nick-foles-dwayne-haskins-josh-rosen-or-kyler-murray-ranking-6-top-available-qbs-against-each-other.html

LOL Of course, Tannehill is the worst of the bunch. Rolling Eyes

Unfortunately, I think it's going to be nearly impossible to trade him at this point. He'll get cut and sign somewhere as a backup...maybe Philadelphia?

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:14 pm

I think they need to part ways, but who knows?

It all depends on what the plan is IMO.

Are they rebuilding for two years out, three years, or what?

If this is a full scale rebuild, I say get rid of him.

If the plan is two years, they might keep him to start until the new guy is ready? Or until the new guys is drafted?

He is very expensive for a fill-in QB.

I say try to trade him (near impossible IMO) and then part ways. Pick up a Josh McCown type and look to develop some young QBs if THE QB in not in this draft.

Still sorta waiting until we see the overall plan?
finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:05 pm

I say get rid of him as well he not as much of dead weight as people might think. IMO miami can find someone that less expensive and average like Tanny

Sent from Topic'it App

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:20 pm

There's absolutely no way you can keep Tannehill and tell the fans that things are going to be different. His time in Miami is over - move on.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next