The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Phins begin talks with X. Howard's reps

2 posters

Go down

Phins begin talks with X. Howard's reps Empty Phins begin talks with X. Howard's reps

Post by JMP Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:59 am

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article226974649.html

The Dolphins met with representatives for cornerback Xavien Howard in Indianapolis this week and conveyed interest in signing him to a longterm contract, according to a team source.

Dolphins general manager Chris Grier said publicly this week that Howard is fully expected to be on the team in 2019. But the Dolphins went further in their meeting, making clear they view him as a key part of their longterm future.

Howard, who is eligible to become an unrestricted free agent after the 2019 season, is open to signing a longterm deal this offseason if the money is right.

The sides did not discuss money in their meeting, but the Dolphins are aware of what it takes to sign top corners – likely something in the range of $13 million to $15 million annually.

The Dolphins, during the meeting, said they have other issues to attend to in the coming weeks but would likely present a longterm offer to Howard this summer.

The thought of $13-15 million a year for Howard scares me a bit. I'm not convinced yet that he's elite, and that's a lot of coin. All things being equal, I'd love to see him remain a Dolphin, but man that contract will eat a ton of cap.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Phins begin talks with X. Howard's reps Empty Re: Phins begin talks with X. Howard's reps

Post by white1 Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:45 pm

True but we have cap space to burn.

With all the money we’re about to dump - plus no expensive QB or any other elite players - might as well lock him up.

I’d like to see a 4-5 year deal. Basically sign him until he’s out of his prime.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down