The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

FWIW: Two building blocks in secondary, per PFF

5 posters

Go down

FWIW: Two building blocks in secondary, per PFF Empty FWIW: Two building blocks in secondary, per PFF

Post by HalCHorn Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:11 pm

Minkah Fitzpatrick was 7th, and Howard was 3rd, among all CB's last year in passer rating allowed:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-top-10-cornerbacks-by-passer-rating-in-2018

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

FWIW: Two building blocks in secondary, per PFF Empty Re: FWIW: Two building blocks in secondary, per PFF

Post by white1 Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:06 am

Agreed. I would not invest much more in the secondary in the near term. On defense, my focus would be the trenches. DT/DE and EDGE rushers.

I'm expecting both McDonald and Jones to stay in Miami, barring a contending team losing a key safety in camp. Then I think we trade one of them. However, if both are here, it will be very interesting to see how an adult coaching staff employs both of them. With their size and speed, there has to be a way to work them into a hybrid scheme and make them effective.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

FWIW: Two building blocks in secondary, per PFF Empty Re: FWIW: Two building blocks in secondary, per PFF

Post by mercury22nathan Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:31 am

i certainly agree the focus must be in the trenches on both sides of the ball - unless a franchise QB is to be had - but i don't believe DB can be ignored. Fitzpatrick's was most productive in the slot and was almost a liability on the edge. and even then, his most impactful position is still most likely at FS (and that's what Saban figured out too). Howard is awesome at the boundry, but its still based on one year production and he has yet to play a full season. while his extension money will scream franchise corner, who will play the opposite edge and who will start the couple of games he's most likely to miss with more wear and tear on his aging knees?

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:56 am

i certainly agree the focus must be in the trenches on both sides of the ball - unless a franchise QB is to be had - but i don't believe DB can be ignored. Fitzpatrick's was most productive in the slot and was almost a liability on the edge. and even then, his most impactful position is still most likely at FS (and that's what Saban figured out too). Howard is awesome at the boundry, but its still based on one year production and he has yet to play a full season. while his extension money will scream franchise corner, who will play the opposite edge and who will start the couple of games he's most likely to miss with more wear and tear on his aging knees?

I agree with you Merc, here is my thinking:

In 2019, recognizing the needs on this team, we need to approach the roster in somewhat of a "triage" mode. So, I'm going to look to address the most glaring needs at the most important positions first. The secondary will be addressed, but only with cheaper veterans, after the draft, and only after other needs are filled.

Let's focus on the secondary and what I would do.

Reshad Jones starts at strong safety. Fitzpatrick starts at free safety. McCain is my slot/nickel CB. Howard is on the boundary on one side. Eric Rowe plays the other side.

McDonald plays an important role. I would plan for packages where he's the 6th DB on the field, and plays up in the box. He could also swap with Jones to make that personnel grouping more unpredictable for the opposing offense. In other words, McDonald plays deep and Jones walks up into the box - this motion might even occur at the snap of the ball.

When he's not on the field, McDonald also serves as the second string strong safety, in case Jones suffers an injury.

So, we've got six defensive backs and probably need 9 or 10 on the roster going into the season.

I pulled this list from Ourlads 2019 depth chart. https://www.ourlads.com/nfldepthcharts/depthchart/MIA

Here's the remainder of the DBs currently on the team:

1 Davis, Jalen
23 Tankersley, Cordrea
35 Aikens, Walt
26 Smith, Maurice
30 Lammons, Chris
24 McTyer, Torry
31 Armstrong, Cornell
00 Delaney, Dee

Tank, Aikens, Smith, McTyer and Armstrong have seen snaps, and Aikens is a core special teamer. Assuming we retain Aikens for his work on teams, we're probably looking at 2 or 3 roster spots remaining in the secondary. Those spots are going to be fought over by this group, plus anyone we had either in the draft, or as an undrafted free agent.

For the 2019 year, I think that's a fine approach. Focus on starters and depth in the front 7, and treat the secondary as the last piece to address.

white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:02 pm

DB is actually a major area of need for the Phins. We are going to use a lot of multi-DB packages, and right now we simply don't have the horses.

McDonald and Jones will both be gone in 2020, if not sooner - so it's time to start looking for their replacements. And Jones at this stage of his career is a health risk.

CB is a huge gaping hole, with Howard and not much else. Sure, Fitzpatrick will get some looks as a nickle corner, but he's going to be the "rover" in this defense - playing mostly FS but shifting wherever he's needed according to the playcall. That leaves us with just one true boundary corner in Howard...who may or may not be in the team's long-range plans depending on $$$.

Eric Rowe will help if he can stay healthy, and can play every DB position. I think Dee Delaney and Jalen Davis have some potential, but both are completely unproven. Beyond that, we will be adding a lot of bodies at CB and S this offseason and beyond.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by scotgif Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:05 am

JMP wrote:  I think Dee Delaney and Jalen Davis have some potential, but both are completely unproven.  Beyond that, we will be adding a lot of bodies at CB and S this offseason and beyond.

I saw Dee Delaney play at UM and he was Turrible. I am shocked he is being given a tryout for the Fins. Jalen Davis actually looked decent in the little that he did play last year.
scotgif
scotgif

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down