The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Four weeks to go: First mock

+3
JMP
rightchea
HalCHorn
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Four weeks to go: First mock Empty Four weeks to go: First mock

Post by HalCHorn Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:26 am

I think a trade down from 13 is very likely, and trying to read the tea leaves, Philly, with two second round picks and needs at OT and LB is a clear match.  I'll project a trade of our # 13 pick to the Eagles for # 25 and # 52 overall.

1 (25) Dexter Lawrence, DT, Clemson
2 (48) Oshane Ximenes, DE/OLB, Old Dominion
2B (52) Chris Lindstrom, OG, Boston College
3: Amani Oruwariye, CB, Penn State
4: Germaine Pratt, LB, NC State
5: Bobby Evans, T, Oklahoma
7A: Jonathan Love, RB, Stanford
7B: Javon Patterson, C/G, Mississippi

Just don't think they'll find a QB who really knocks anyone out this year.  A bricks and mortar draft, and I would like to see another trade or two for more picks in the 2nd through the 4th rounds.  A good year to hit on the trenches and at CB with multiple shots.

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Four weeks to go: First mock Empty Re: Four weeks to go: First mock

Post by rightchea Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:56 pm

they expecting Miami to trade up for Haskins. Getting a QB would be nice I don't think it is pressing

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:27 pm

QB is the most pressing need on the team long-term, and I'd strongly consider Haskins at 13. But he'll be gone before then and I'm not trading up. His conditioning and lack of mobility are concerns, but at 13 it's low-risk and I think I'd toss the dice.

Hal, I like your mock a lot! That's a home run!!

I think we'll trade down in round one and several times more throughout the draft. It's all about getting more picks both this year and next. This looks like a deep draft to me, so that's a smart strategy to quickly build the roster.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:46 pm

without Quinn and Wake Miami will have to go after a DE. They can not think QB if they can't rush the passer and make plays on Defense.

I figure this would be a good draft:

Round 1 Pick 13: Ford, Cody, OG/OT, Oklahoma (B+)
Round 2 Pick 16: Jackson, Joe, DE, Miami (FL) (B+)
Round 3 Pick 14: Savage, Darnell, FS, Maryland (A)
Round 4 Pick 14: Grier, Will, QB, West Virginia (A+)
Round 5 Pick 13: Holyfield, Elijah, RB, Georgia (A+)
Round 7 Pick 19: Brown, Jordan, CB, South Dakota State (A+)
Round 7 Pick 20: Ferguson, Jazz, WR, Northwestern State (A+)

don't see Grier still in the fourth round but there is a possibility

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:00 pm

rightchea wrote:without Quinn and Wake Miami will have to go after a DE. They can not think QB if they can't rush the passer and make plays on Defense.

I figure this would be a good draft:

Round 1 Pick 13: Ford, Cody, OG/OT, Oklahoma (B+)
Round 2 Pick 16: Jackson, Joe, DE, Miami (FL) (B+)
Round 3 Pick 14: Savage, Darnell, FS, Maryland (A)
Round 4 Pick 14: Grier, Will, QB, West Virginia (A+)
Round 5 Pick 13: Holyfield, Elijah, RB, Georgia (A+)
Round 7 Pick 19: Brown, Jordan, CB, South Dakota State (A+)
Round 7 Pick 20: Ferguson, Jazz, WR, Northwestern State (A+)

don't see Grier still in the fourth round but there is a possibility

Yes, that would be a killer draft!

I disagree with you about QB, though. Nothing is more important than QB. I'm not saying it has to be done in round one - not unless Haskins falls to us - but when the "right" QB is there you HAVE to take him. Sure, pass rush is a huge need - but not more important than solving the QB problem.

In this draft, I think DL is the most likely pick if we stay at 13...again, assuming Haskins is gone. If we trade down, it's probably DL or OL.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:16 pm

JMP wrote:I disagree with you about QB, though.  Nothing is more important than QB.  I'm not saying it has to be done in round one - not unless Haskins falls to us - but when the "right" QB is there you HAVE to take him.  Sure, pass rush is a huge need - but not more important than solving the QB problem.

Drafting a QB just to draft one is NOT the answer, and there is no right QB in this draft--for any team. That's exactly what got them into this mess to begin with (Tannehill). The absolute worst thing this team could do is to trade up for a Suckeyes QB (when literally NO QB from that school has EVER done squat in the NFL) when there are so many other gaping holes, and then stick with the guy for 5-7 years because they don't want to "give up" on him even after he proves the pick was a mistake.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:43 pm

Agreed. Don't know if this will end up being as bad as the 2007 draft, but I don't see any sure things. I could see Grier or Lock potentially succeeding in the right situation, but my preference right now is to concentrate on building the trenches.

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:26 am

DolFan 316 wrote:
JMP wrote:I disagree with you about QB, though.  Nothing is more important than QB.  I'm not saying it has to be done in round one - not unless Haskins falls to us - but when the "right" QB is there you HAVE to take him.  Sure, pass rush is a huge need - but not more important than solving the QB problem.

Drafting a QB just to draft one is NOT the answer, and there is no right QB in this draft--for any team. That's exactly what got them into this mess to begin with (Tannehill). The absolute worst thing this team could do is to trade up for a Suckeyes QB (when literally NO QB from that school has EVER done squat in the NFL) when there are so many other gaping holes, and then stick with the guy for 5-7 years because they don't want to "give up" on him even after he proves the pick was a mistake.

That's my point...don't take a QB just to take one. This draft looks like a bad place to get a star QB. I'd take a flyer on Easton Stick late, maybe a couple others...but I don't see a future star available for the Phins.

I NEVER suggested the Phins should trade up for Haskins - I sure wouldn't. That said, again, if Haskins happens to get to 13 and the Phins still have that pick...I'd strongly consider it despite my reservations about him. The way rookie contracts are these days, it's very low-risk, and taking a QB this year doesn't mean you can't take one next year (see Cardinals, Arizona). You're right, Ohio State QBs haven't panned out...but how many had a season like Haskins had this year??? I don't particularly like him because he seems out of shape and he isn't mobile - but at 13? I'd gamble.

All moot anyway, since Haskins will go top 10 and the Phins will trade down from 13.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:33 am

HalCHorn wrote:Agreed.  Don't know if this will end up being as bad as the 2007 draft, but I don't see any sure things.  I could see Grier or Lock potentially succeeding in the right situation, but my preference right now is to concentrate on building the trenches.

Yep, and that's why trading down makes so much sense. The way this defense is run, we aren't necessarily looking for stars - we're looking for strong, physical players that can play multiple roles. Those guys can and will be found throughout the draft, and the back-end of round one, as well as rounds 2-4, will hold some gems for the Phins.

And OL - we can absolutely get strong interior linemen in rounds 2-5 this year.

DB and WR are also big needs, and again this draft seems deep at both positions.

Bottom line: get more picks!!!

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:56 am

there are at least 2 possible 3 team that could trade up with miami who need QB. Redskins and Raven would be teams in need especially in Baltimore where Jackson might not pan out so well.

Sent from Topic'it App

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:13 am

rightchea wrote:there are at least 2 possible 3 team that could trade up with miami who need QB. Redskins and Raven would be teams in need especially in Baltimore where Jackson might not pan out so well.

Sent from Topic'it App

There is absolutely zero chance the Ravens will use a high pick on a QB. They have designed their entire offense around Jackson, and he is absolutely their QB moving forward. They love him, and they signed a big-time RB (Marlk Ingram) to help take some of the pressure off him.

The Redskins could absolutely trade up to draft a QB. I'd also keep an eye on the Chargers.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:54 pm

DolFan 316 wrote:The absolute worst thing this team could do is to trade up for a Suckeyes QB (when literally NO QB from that school has EVER done squat in the NFL) .

Lest we forget the inimitable Mike Tomczak.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:55 pm

I would absolutely build up both lines. I said in another thread, I'd do everything I could to just draft Wisconsin's entire interior OL.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:14 pm

Degarmo wrote:I'd do everything I could to just draft Wisconsin's entire interior OL.

Add their FB, Alec Ingold, and count me in! santa

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:50 pm

JMP wrote:
Degarmo wrote:I'd do everything I could to just draft Wisconsin's entire interior OL.

Add their FB, Alec Ingold, and count me in!   santa

Draft right up the middle. The thing about the idea is, you've got a premade team on the OL with chemistry. That's huge.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:32 pm

Degarmo wrote:
DolFan 316 wrote:The absolute worst thing this team could do is to trade up for a Suckeyes QB (when literally NO QB from that school has EVER done squat in the NFL) .

Who wasn't even drafted, yet had a better career than every single Suckeye QB who was. By far.

And also proves my point nicely since he was the equivalent of Josh McCown in his day. You don't trade up in the first round to get Josh McCown.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:23 pm

I don't think anyone is suggesting that we trade up for a QB this year, at least not on this message board.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:45 am

DolFan 316 wrote:
Degarmo wrote:

Who wasn't even drafted, yet had a better career than every single Suckeye QB who was. By far.

And also proves my point nicely since he was the equivalent of Josh McCown in his day. You don't trade up in the first round to get Josh McCown.

I'm with you.

I just wanted to say Mike Tomczak. Maybe I should have went with Tom Tupa.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:00 am

Degarmo wrote:I'm with you.

I just wanted to say Mike Tomczak.  Maybe I should have went with Tom Tupa.

ERIC HIPPLE!!! cheers Razz Wink

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:24 am

If you add up the best seasons of all those OSU QBs you guys mentioned, I'm not sure they would even match Haskins' 4800+ yards and 50 TDs this past season! Very Happy

Again, not to say that I'm banging the table for Haskins...I'm not at all. But this isn't Tom Tupa we're talking about. Ohio State NEVER had a QB that put up numbers like Haskins did this season.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:09 pm

Haskins is not worth a high pick, even if he falls to #13. I would like to see Miami wait on the QB from Clemson Trevor Lawerance. But lets see what he has this coming CFB year.

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:03 pm

DolFan 316 wrote:
Degarmo wrote:I'm with you.

I just wanted to say Mike Tomczak.  Maybe I should have went with Tom Tupa.

ERIC HIPPLE!!! cheers Razz Wink

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:05 pm

For what it's worth, I don't think we're getting Haskins.  I think this year, and probably next year, are rebuild-without-franchise-guy-drafted years, and then if the kid from Clemson comes out as a Junior, then we package 20 picks for him.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:14 pm

rightchea wrote:Haskins is not worth a high pick, even if he falls to #13. I would like to see Miami wait on the QB from Clemson Trevor Lawerance. But lets see what he has this coming CFB year.

If the plan is to wait till 2021 to draft a #1 QB, then we're screwed and the Miami Dolphins should just give up and drop out of the league.

We're going to wait till 2021???  What if Lawrence gets a serious injury before then?  What if he decides he'd rather be a professional tiddlywinks player?  What if he gets killed by a falling piano???  Seriously...anything can happen in that period of time, and wasting two entire seasons on the almost non-existent chance that we'll somehow be able to get the #1 overall pick to draft a guy that no one knows anything about at this point is not the best way to run a team. And what if Lawrence stays his senior year? Do we wait till 2022????

I'm willing to throw away one season while Tannenbaum's mess gets cleaned up and we can be in position to draft a QB in what should be a much better QB class.  But throw away TWO or even THREE seasons???  Hell no.

As for Haskins, we haven't had a legitimate QB since Dan Marino.  I, for one, am not going to act like a guy that threw 50 TDs and 4800 yards in one season for a major college program is somehow not good enough for the Miami Dolphins.  Sure, he could bust...so could Tua or Lawrence.  But if I can get a guy at 13 with that pedigree?  I'm going to seriously consider it.  And if he flops, the rookie salary of a #13 pick is not an issue...I'll just draft another QB in 2020.

Again, IMO there's zero chance Haskins is falling to 13, and IMO there's zero chance that the Dolphins will keep the #13 pick...so none of this matters.  But for a team that hasn't had a QB in forever, we as a fanbase sure are picky!  LOL

Trade down and get more picks this year and next year.  Draft a QB on day 2 or 3 this year, then use a first round pick on another one next year.  That's the plan.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:37 pm

Just keep taking QB's at a good value until you hit on one.

We almost had this correct from 2007-2009 when we finally started putting value on the position after both Wanny AND Saban refused to. Unfortunately we chose poorly. Beck was 26 years old and Pat White was never intended to compete for the starting job (you take guys like that in the LATE rounds, not the 2nd). Henne was actually a fair shot worth taking late in the second, but it just happened to be a year that had two franchise guys in the first round and we passed on em....

Just keep taking values, one will hit. Even this year, one of these guys will fall further than you'd expect. Prescott and Cousins were fourth rounders, Wilson a third.

Patriots have taken 5 QB's since 2010, even with Brady. They get it. Hopefully we will now.

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next