The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RG III almost a Phin?

+3
rightchea
JMP
mercury22nathan
7 posters

Go down

RG III almost a Phin? Empty RG III almost a Phin?

Post by mercury22nathan Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:53 am

Robert Griffin III believed he had a chance to start for the Jacksonville Jaguars in 2019 if they hadn't signed Nick Foles.

Griffin said the Jaguars tried to trade for him last year at the end of the preseason and before the trade deadline in October. That's why Griffin signed a two-year, $4 million deal with the Ravens only after the Jaguars' quarterback situation was resolved.

Besides the possibility of going to the Jaguars this offseason, Griffin said he had talks with other teams, including the Miami Dolphins.

"I ultimately felt like those situations weren't good," Griffin said on the podcast. "I'm not looking to go somewhere and be a bridge or be there for a season and go somewhere else. I'm looking for stability and opportunity. For me right now, Baltimore is the best situation."

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/26438326/rg-iii-felt-had-shot-jaguars-starting-job

what the article doesn't make clear is whether the Phins interest was last year (when the Jags initially tried to trade for him) or this offseason (before he signed with Baltimore) - or maybe both. if it was last year, then obviously Gase was really desperate to replace Tanny (possible Stafford trade included) and if it was this offseaon, then it was interest in him being the bridge QB (Fitz got the job) - which he clearly wasn't interested in based on his comments.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

RG III almost a Phin? Empty Re: RG III almost a Phin?

Post by JMP Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:39 am

Interesting...if it was this offseason, that gives us a hint that this staff likes mobility in their QBs. RGIII can certainly move, and so can Fitzpatrick. Makes me think that the Phins would not be interested in Haskins, in the unlikely event that they'd even have a chance to take him.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:08 am

I feel the same way, Miami hasn't looked into Haskins from the reports. I believe Miami will go after a QB in a later round just in case Fitz get injured or he isn't performing well. My guess is Miami skips out on QB this year and full the wholes that need to be filled.

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:26 pm

this staff likes mobility in their QBs. RGIII can certainly move, and so can Fitzpatrick.

Agree. The team also pursued Tyrod Taylor and Bridgewater, with each deciding to serve as a backup elsewhere rather than our 'bridge" QB.

Which QBs in this draft would be considered mobile? Can Grier move?

white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:08 am

white1 wrote:

Which QBs in this draft would be considered mobile? Can Grier move?

My boy Easton Stick is an excellent runner and moves well in the pocket. He ran for over 660 yards in each of the past three seasons and has 41 career rushing TDs.

Grier is more of a pocket passer...doesn't run much and to me he doesn't look real comfortable outside the pocket.

Drew Lock is probably more mobile than people give him credit for, but he's not going to "wow" you with his legs.

Daniel Jones is pretty mobile, but I think he looks a little awkward when he runs.

Tyree Jackson can move...and he's tough to take down once he gets going.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:54 pm

Of all the QBs I've looked at for this draft, I am most interested in JMP's selection of Stick. I think he has something, and football intelligence is a huge plus for me.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:57 pm

Stick reminds me of Tim Tebow

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:06 am

rightchea wrote:Stick reminds me of Tim Tebow

He's a hardcore Christian who can't actually throw the ball and just relies on running over people and insane 4th quarter luck???

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:34 am

rightchea wrote:Stick reminds me of Tim Tebow

Completely different QBs. Stick is much more NFL-ready as a passer and a runner than Tebow ever was. Stick played in a pro-style offense, which is a huge advantage for him over many college QBs.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Umix10 Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:55 am

Stick would be ok but not going to pick him till the 5th or beyond. Wouldn’t want to reach with so much going on in the trenches. We I like Tyree. He’s got upside but he needs a solid QB coach. He could really improve by sitting for a year behind Fitz. Ideally I think Kaep would really be a win win for the fins especially if we drafted Tyree.
Umix10
Umix10

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:07 pm

Umix10 wrote:Stick would be ok but not going to pick him till the 5th or beyond.  Wouldn’t want to reach with so much going on in the trenches.  We I like Tyree.  He’s got upside but he needs a solid QB coach. He could really improve by sitting for a year behind Fitz.  Ideally I think Kaep would really be a win win for the fins especially if we drafted Tyree.

All depends on how many picks we end up with in this draft. If we can trade down a couple of times and get more picks, I'd take Stick in the 4th...possibly even in the 3rd depending on how many picks we do have. The more I watch him, the more I think he could end up being the best QB in this class - and his skillset seems to be an ideal fit for the Phins.

Tyree is interesting, but I just don't see the accuracy for this new Dolphins offense. Same with Kaep...the accuracy and quick decision-making just aren't there IMO. (Plus, Kaep is done - no way he's playing in the NFL again.)

Yes, the trenches are a colossal need - and there is no doubt we'll spend multiple picks on the DL, and at least one on the OL. But if Miami can get more picks, I definitely think they'll take a QB at some point in rounds 2-4.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:48 pm

Been hearing that the Browns want to trade back into the 1st round. This means that the Browns will have to give up a lot of picks especially if they want to get where the Fins are. what ya'll think

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by Umix10 Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:22 pm

Browns are stacked as it is and for a very long time. If they trade into the first round they will likely take Bush or White. LB would probably be their weakest link. Because they are stacked I really don’t see them having a high premium on draft picks. Not the way Miami views them. They could do a Mike Ditka and still would have enough talent to compete next year and compete at a high level. If they are Miami would be wise to trade with them.
Umix10
Umix10

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:43 pm

They could do a Mike Ditka and still would have enough talent to compete next year and compete at a high level. If they are Miami would be wise to trade with them.

Agree. In fact, since next year all the QBs come out I'd trade our first this year for the Browns first NEXT YEAR, plus later round picks this year (2nd or 3rd, don't care whatever the formula says).

Keep gathering ammo for the 2020 draft, in case we win enough games we are forced to trade up for a QB.

white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by Umix10 Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:52 pm

The caveat for me is the QB situation. As painful as it might be, no matter who or where we draft a QB, make him your day 1 starter unless he totally bombs, then go with Fitz. I wanna see a guy develop, fitz is only going to give you a couple of games. We all know that, so why not see if the QB this year is with something. If the intent is to get aggressive next year then let’s see what this years QB can do. I’d much rather eat shit with a rookie then go a whole season with Fitz.
Umix10
Umix10

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:09 pm

Umix10 wrote:The caveat for me is the QB situation.  As painful as it might be, no matter who or where we draft a QB,  make him your day 1 starter unless he totally bombs, then go with Fitz.  I wanna see a guy develop, fitz is only going to give you a couple of games.  We all know that, so why not see if the QB this year is with something. If the intent is to get aggressive next year then let’s see what this years QB can do. I’d much rather eat shit with a rookie then go a whole season with Fitz.

I don't see any QB in this class being ready to start from day one. If we draft a guy this year that could possibly develop into a starter, I'd still go with Fitz to start the season. Let the rookie learn for at least a few games - even half the season - before throwing him into the fire.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:10 pm

white1 wrote:since next year all the QBs come out I'd trade our first this year for the Browns first NEXT YEAR, plus later round picks this year (2nd or 3rd, don't care whatever the formula says).  

Keep gathering ammo for the 2020 draft, in case we win enough games we are forced to trade up for a QB.

I could be on board with that for sure.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Umix10 Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:48 pm

We all know what Fitz has to offer. I really believe that we had an opportunity to sign a QB this offseason specifically one with more upside than Fitz. The “we are rebuilding not tanking” theme isn’t different it’s the same. I’m guessing that the we put tooo much emphasis on “bridge QB” then a legit chance to start. While I do think that we need a QB, I don’t think you try and wait til next year. Regardless of who the QB we draft I’d like to see him start from day 1. Flight or fright mentality unless he totally bombs. I like JMP’s idea too. Maybe let him sit for a couple of games but let the QB plat
Umix10
Umix10

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:31 pm

Umix10 wrote:We all know what Fitz has to offer.  I really believe that we had an opportunity to sign a QB this offseason specifically one with more upside than Fitz.  The “we are rebuilding not tanking” theme isn’t different it’s the same. I’m guessing that the we put tooo much emphasis on “bridge QB” then a legit chance to start.  While I do think that we need a QB, I don’t think you try and wait til next year.  Regardless of who the QB we draft I’d like to see him start from day 1.  Flight or fright mentality unless he totally bombs.  I like JMP’s idea too. Maybe let him sit for a couple of games but let the QB plat

Just to be clear...if we had a shot at a QB like, say, Tua this year, I'd be all for starting him from day one - as I would with any potential franchise QB. But looking at this year's group, I don't see any QB that will be ready to start right away. I could be wrong - but that's how I view this class: no real franchise guy, but maybe a few that could develop into something in time.

I'm on board with the 'bridge QB' idea. Realistically, none of the available veteran QBs were worth starter's money with long-term deals. By signing Fitz, we'll have a low-risk, low-cost, cap-friendly veteran in place for when we draft the next starter - whether that is this year or next.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down