The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

And the cuts begin...

+7
CarsonChris
Degarmo
JEGnj
white1
DolFan 316
finskev
JMP
11 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

And the cuts begin... - Page 2 Empty Re: And the cuts begin...

Post by JMP Sun Sep 01, 2019 3:01 pm

Adolphus Washington and Zach Sterup cut. Sterup is a bit of a surprise, ad I expected him to be the starting LT while Davenport gets up to speed.

And:

Alain Poupart @apoupartFins

Now official, per NFL transaction wire: @MiamiDolphins claimed DE Trent Harris (NE), LB Deon Lacey (BUF), DE Avery Moss (NYG), DB Steven Parker (LAR) and DB Ken Webster (NE) off waivers. None of their waived players were claimed Sunday.

So there will be more cuts coming.

We signed former Cane Gerald Willis (DT) to our practice squad. He was my favorite UM player last season. If he gets his head on straight, he could be a beast!

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sun Sep 01, 2019 4:17 pm

JMP wrote:
white1 wrote:Watching the cuts pattern is clear: cut the Vets in favor of rookies and younger players. Even if vets are better.

Given where we are in rebuild, correct approach. Potential trumps performance right now.

Yep.  Case in point: the TE position.  We cut Dwayne Allen and kept Chris Myarick.  After watching the Saints game, I was praying we'd keep Myarick.  In just that one game, he showed me more as a receiver than Gesicki ever has.  I hope he gets a chance to play in the regular season, because I think he could be a real good player.  He knows how to get open, has good hands and can run after catch.  

Never mind...Myarick was waived.  Embarassed   Damn, I really liked what I saw from him.  Hope we can add him to the PS.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sun Sep 01, 2019 4:18 pm

To make room for all the players we added today, more cuts:
S Montre Hartage and LB Terrill Hanks

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Umix10 Sun Sep 01, 2019 4:48 pm

For years we have all been saying we need to go from the ground up. Gotta give it to Grier. He value bet during the preseason to set him self up on the river card!!!!!! What a bold move. 1 week before the season starts he goes all in and pretty much got rid of the old regimes awful contracts. He stole the draft picks from the texans for sure. The ONLY thing that I don't understand is JONES. He probably has maybe 2 maybe 3 solid seasons left. I don't know if its his shoulder but I would think that he would at least be worth a 4th or 5th.
Umix10
Umix10

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:41 pm

The ONLY thing that I don't understand is JONES. He probably has maybe 2 maybe 3 solid seasons left. I don't know if its his shoulder but I would think that he would at least be worth a 4th or 5th

Jones is obvious trade bait, what's been written - and I believe it - is his contract is so god-awful bad and player friendly he is un-tradeable.  Chalk that up to Tannenbaum and his ways.

No matter.  We carry him until it doesn't make sense and he'll contribute.  Next offseason or the one after, he's done.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:10 pm

white1 wrote:Jones is obvious trade bait, what's been written - and I believe it - is his contract is so god-awful bad and player friendly he is un-tradeable.  Chalk that up to Tannenbaum and his ways.

No matter.  We carry him until it doesn't make sense and he'll contribute.  Next offseason or the one after, he's done.

Jones is about to throw a major hissyfit. I'm amazed he hasn't done it already but I'm sure he's just waiting until the actual games start so he can do something like retire at halftime. It's happening. He tried it last season but nobody seemed to notice because of all the other dysfunction going on. Millennials gonna millennial.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:17 am

Rudock's agent is saying he is being signed to the practice squad.  We'll see tomorrow.  I hope this is true.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:06 am

DolFan 316 wrote:
JMP wrote:Phins cut long snapper Wes Farnsworth...meaning that John Motherfucking Denney is back for year 15 baby!!!!   cheers cheers

John Denney doesn't age...age John Denneys!

I maintain my stance that this team will not win a playoff game until he is gone. Maybe next year. He's about as old as Brady.
cat

Well, Denney was just cut, so...

This is a total housecleaning. Too bad we couldn't find a team willing to take that awful Jones contract.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:41 am

Cheers to John Denney, that was a hell of a run.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by Umix10 Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:08 pm

JMP wrote:
white1 wrote:Watching the cuts pattern is clear: cut the Vets in favor of rookies and younger players. Even if vets are better.

Given where we are in rebuild, correct approach. Potential trumps performance right now.

Yep.  Case in point: the TE position.  We cut Dwayne Allen and kept Chris Myarick.  After watching the Saints game, I was praying we'd keep Myarick.  In just that one game, he showed me more as a receiver than Gesicki ever has.  I hope he gets a chance to play in the regular season, because I think he could be a real good player.  He knows how to get open, has good hands and can run after catch.  

Hard to see this approach when it's so contradicting. Grier traded a 2nd round pick to get Rosen! Then he trades Veteran players, although we are including 3rd year players. for younger rookies. But Flores won't start Rosen to see what we have. I like that fact that we are building the right way finally. But either you are all in or all out.

The timing of all of this is really mind boggling. Tunsil could have certainly helped to figure out what we had in Rosen. IMHO, I would have held on to Tunsil and started Rosen. Maybe 2 or 3 games to start the season. If he doesnt show promise then trade Tunsil and then the future looks clearer. In the current situation we are setting up Rosen to be the next Tannehill. He's gonna be running and gonna be making bad decisions and IMHO we will never really see what he can do.
Umix10
Umix10

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:19 pm

Rosen will be starting at some point, but I wouldn't do it right away, even if Tunsil had stayed. This O-line needs time to gel, and Rosen can't be properly evaluated until it does. We would have had 3 new starters anyway, so what's a fourth?

I wouldn't write him off, hell, Drew Brees didn't become Drew Brees until his fourth year, by which time the Chargers had already drafted Rivers. And he was only 25 at the time, Rosen is 22.

The current regime will leave no stone unturned to find a QB, and it might well turn out to be Rosen, in a year or two.

The draft haul we were offered for Tunsil just simply couldn't be turned down. It was as close to a Herschel Walker trade as you're going to get in 2019.

I'm thinking we will have a Brees/Rivers scenario here as early as 2020, or 2021. We will find a QB.

As far as this draft haul, when's the last time we had two first round picks? 1992. (Worked out rather well that year, too.) Now we have that in back to back years coming up.

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:47 pm

I just read that the Phins had cut John Denney!!!

Is the curse finally over???

Very Happy

On the crawl at the bottom of the ND and Louisville game.

OOPS - Sorry missed it above.
finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:05 pm

Umix10 wrote:
JMP wrote:

Hard to see this approach when it's so contradicting.  Grier traded a 2nd round pick to get Rosen!  Then he trades Veteran players, although we are including 3rd year players. for younger rookies.  But Flores won't start Rosen to see what we have.  I like that fact that we are building the right way finally.  But either you are all in or all out.  

The timing of all of this is really mind boggling.  Tunsil could have certainly helped to figure out what we had in Rosen.  IMHO, I would have held on to Tunsil and started Rosen.  Maybe 2 or 3 games to start the season.  If he doesnt show promise then trade Tunsil and then the future looks clearer.  In the current situation we are setting up Rosen to be the next Tannehill.  He's gonna be running and gonna be making bad decisions and IMHO we will never really see what he can do.  

Nothing contradictory at all.  In fact, I'd say it's the first time in forever that we're making moves that actually make sense, and I can see the plan.  It's all about building a championship-caliber team from the ground up.

You have to take the long view.  It's not that Flores "won't start" Rosen...it's that Rosen just isn't ready yet.  We all saw in his last game that he was still having trouble calling protections and identifying the defensive coverage.  It would be a colossal mistake to throw him to the wolves against the Raven and Pats when he's not ready.  Dude is already shellshocked from Arizona - why destroy all the good things he's done this preseason?  Rosen will almost certainly start the majority of Miami's games this season - but it's not going to happen till he is ready.  I think that's the perfect approach.  If he's not starting by the time we play Washington, then there's a problem.  Till then, he needs to work his ass off to be ready.

As for Tunsil, if someone offers you two firsts and a second for a guy that's never made a Pro Bowl and who has a drug history, you absolutely have to take it.  It's a no brainer.  If any team is that stupid, you jump at it.  With Tunsil, we were going to be one of the worst teams in the league.  Without Tunsil, we are going to be one of the worst teams in the league.  The only difference: we now have a chance to build the foundation of this team in the next two drafts without having to overpay a good (not great) O lineman.  

Don't look at this season.  This season is a throwaway.  It's all about the future, and we now have the ability to basically do anything we want in the draft and free agency next offseason.

Last edited by JMP on Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:04 am; edited 1 time in total

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:03 am

and the cuts continue...

Dolphins released their best pass rusher in preseason, Nate Orchard, according to a source.

and subsequent roster replacement...

The Dolphins claimed former St. Thomas Aquinas High linebacker James Crawford off waivers from Green Bay. Undrafted out of Illinois, he appeared in 16 games as a rookie for the Packers last season and had nine tackles.

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article234548412.html

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:08 am

Crawford is good on STs, but I was really rooting for Orchard. I doubt he gets picked up, so I expect him to be a Phin again at some point.

Our DC Patrick Graham had Crawford in Green Bay, so he must have seen something in him.

I think moves like this will be made every week, trying to match up with the opponent. The Ravens run the ball about a thousand times a game, so it makes sense to stock up on LBs for this game.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:27 pm

Too much Ireland-style roster churn for my liking.

Also, I wanted Denney gone and made it no secret, but the way he was cut was just...wrong :evil:What happened to just bringing someone in to compete and having him lose out the old-fashioned way? It worked with Zach and Jack Del Rio...

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:22 am

these guys seem to be looking at the waiver wire and when someone gets cut they look at the player and ask, "is he better than the guy we already have on our roster?" and if the answer is "yes" then they go ahead make a cut and pick up the new guy. they don't seem to be worrying much about short term pain (gelling with the already existing team members, learning the playbook before the next game, etc.) but rather have any eye for the long term development of the new player and how he fits into the overall scheme of where this team is headed.

Two defensive linemen claimed off waivers from the New York Giants this week — Jenkins and Avery Moss — could get playing time on defense Sunday against Baltimore.

Jenkins, who has played six years in the league and has 1.5 career sacks, is “a big guy, physical interior d-lineman,” Flores said. “Has some athletic ability that I like, some quickness. The film we saw in preseason was good. Avery does a good job setting the edge, has some pass rush ability we felt would help us.”

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article234548317.html

these guys are studying film of everyone - which is what a good (or hopefully eventually good) team does.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:24 am

JMP wrote:We signed former Cane Gerald Willis (DT) to our practice squad.  He was my favorite UM player last season.  If he gets his head on straight, he could be a beast!

and then...

Former UM defensive tackle Gerald Willis was released from the Dolphins’ practice squad after three days because of an injury.

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article234548317.html

a PS release with injury.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:51 pm

Damn...hopefully Willis gets healthy and comes back.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:52 pm

HalCHorn wrote:Rosen will be starting at some point, but I wouldn't do it right away, even if Tunsil had stayed.  This O-line needs time to gel, and Rosen can't be properly evaluated until it does.  We would have had 3 new starters anyway, so what's a fourth?

I wouldn't write him off, hell, Drew Brees didn't become Drew Brees until his fourth year, by which time the Chargers had already drafted Rivers.  And he was only 25 at the time, Rosen is 22.

The current regime will leave no stone unturned to find a QB, and it might well turn out to be Rosen, in a year or two.  

The draft haul we were offered for Tunsil just simply couldn't be turned down.  It was as close to a Herschel Walker trade as you're going to get in 2019.  

I'm thinking we will have a Brees/Rivers scenario here as early as 2020, or 2021.  We will find a QB.  

As far as this draft haul, when's the last time we had two first round picks?  1992.  (Worked out rather well that year, too.)  Now we have that in back to back years coming up.

cheers cheers cheers cheers

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:52 pm

mercury22nathan wrote:these guys seem to be looking at the waiver wire and when someone gets cut they look at the player and ask, "is he better than the guy we already have on our roster?"  and if the answer is "yes" then they go ahead make a cut and pick up the new guy.  they don't seem to be worrying much about short term pain (gelling with the already existing team members, learning the playbook before the next game, etc.) but rather have any eye for the long term development of the new player and how he fits into the overall scheme of where this team is headed.

Two defensive linemen claimed off waivers from the New York Giants this week — Jenkins and Avery Moss — could get playing time on defense Sunday against Baltimore.

Jenkins, who has played six years in the league and has 1.5 career sacks, is “a big guy, physical interior d-lineman,” Flores said. “Has some athletic ability that I like, some quickness. The film we saw in preseason was good. Avery does a good job setting the edge, has some pass rush ability we felt would help us.”

these guys are studying film of everyone - which is what a good (or hopefully eventually good) team does.

Yep, I love it. Constantly looking to improve the roster.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2