The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Joe Philbin and accountability

+7
DolFan 316
finskev
Triumph
CarsonChris
rightchea
Degarmo
JMP
11 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Joe Philbin and accountability - Page 2 Empty Re: Joe Philbin and accountability

Post by JMP Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:10 am

DolFan 316 wrote:The sad part is, I remember the local media actually calling for cam to be retained after the 1-15 season because "continuity". They may deny it now, but this was a real thing.

Yep, I remember that too. God, I hate when people throw that word around. I don't know why this is so difficult to understand, but continuity is only good if you have something that's working. If what you have is shit, then continuity only means that you will continue to have...shit. In football terms, if your team sucks and you continue to do the same things with the same people in charge, you will continue to suck. Change doesn't always work, but when something's broken you don't keep using it - you fix it or buy a new one.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Joe Philbin and accountability - Page 2 Empty Re: Joe Philbin and accountability

Post by rightchea Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:48 am

JMP wrote:It's scary reading all these comments from players and coaches.  They just don't get it.

Hey Lazor, maybe you can figure out how to score a TD in the 4th quarter with your perfect offense????

Yeah he is right, there isn't a law that says you have to throw it deep to win but can someone be creative out there. people start seeing that you keep throwing short they are going to play their safeties closers to the line and make it harder to make plays. Philbin and that whole coaching staff needs to be replaced.

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:57 am

"Philbin is a lot more, um, uh, let me see, I'm trying to think of how to say this," Clay said. "I can't think of a word to put it with. Pretty much they're the same in some ways, but I feel like with Rex, the atmosphere is a lot more, I don't want to say laid back, but I guess you could say it's a lot more laid back. But at the same time we put a lot of work in."

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-dolphins/fl-dolphins-main-0924-20150922-story.html

fuddy-duddy, Charles, i think the word you were looking for is fuddy-duddy.  Joe Philbin is a fuddy-duddy.

fuddy-duddy - a person who is fussy while old-fashioned, traditionalist, conformist, or conservative, sometimes almost to the point of eccentricity or geekiness. can also be used to describe someone with a zealous focus on order.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:23 am

Degarmo wrote:You want to know the call that most baffled me on offense?  That play Odrick ran past Traffic Cone Fox and sacked Tannehill.  Why wasn't that play a three-steps-and-throw play?  Tannehill was waiting for his guy to clear on the right, which is why he was nearly killed.  No slow developers in your own end zone, asshole.

That whole series featured some really odd play-calling from Miami. No runs from deep in their own end, and all the pass plays were designed to get minimal yardage. I understand that we couldn't run effectively at all, but at that point in the game the OL was completely useless and Tannehill was a sitting duck.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:24 am

mercury22nathan wrote:
"Philbin is a lot more, um, uh, let me see, I'm trying to think of how to say this," Clay said. "I can't think of a word to put it with. Pretty much they're the same in some ways, but I feel like with Rex, the atmosphere is a lot more, I don't want to say laid back, but I guess you could say it's a lot more laid back. But at the same time we put a lot of work in."

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-dolphins/fl-dolphins-main-0924-20150922-story.html

fuddy-duddy, Charles, i think the word you were looking for is fuddy-duddy.  Joe Philbin is a fuddy-duddy.

fuddy-duddy - a person who is fussy while old-fashioned, traditionalist, conformist, or conservative, sometimes almost to the point of eccentricity or geekiness. can also be used to describe someone with a zealous focus on order.

LOL It's difficult to imagine Philbin being able to get along with or having any common ground with today's players.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:20 am

First off, Omar is a useless loudmouthed moron.  He likes to pretend he's tough, but he's just another blowhard.  I respect him for the years that he's put in, and from time to time he really does some good work, but the rest of the time, he's an aggravating prick.

Continuity . . . this argument needs to be thrown away.  It's usage is nearly never pertinent due to the fact that most of the time it is used to describe keeping around a terrible situation, which JMP nicely described above.

If a guy has a hard time telling you what another person is like, they're stalling for time because they either, 1) really dislike the person but have enough grace not to throw them under the bus, 2) really have no idea what kind of person they are, or 3) know if they tell the truth about them it will make huge problems for both themselves and the person being described.  Clay responding like he did was paramount to saying, "He's kind of a moron."

As white1 stated earlier, how much time do you need to judge a guy?  Many folks have judged Tannehill and say that Philbin needs more time, or said that before this season.  Tannehill has actually shown marked improvement, but Philbin has stayed EXACTLY THE SAME.  What everyone that has a mind and uses it has noticed in these first two games were that nothing, and I mean nothing, has changed on this team.  They look unmotivated, unprepared and uninspired.

Oh, but then comes this nugget, which I loathe.  "Professional players shouldn't need coaches to get motivated."  Bullshit.  Ask Jimmy Johnson how motivation can change things.  Ask anyone who understands psychology and how feats can be accomplished with proper motivation.  It's not the end-all-be-all factor, but it's definitely there.  If it were true that no player needed motivation that is professional, then there would not be long-standing tales of coaches making great speeches that gave players something extra.  We're not talking about 30-40 percent better, but 5 percent better can make all the damn difference.  If you believe you can do something, you're more apt to succeed in doing it.  Fuck, if it were the case that a professional ANYTHING should be motivated strictly because they're getting paid, then NO ONE WOULD EVER NEED ANY KIND OF ENCOURAGEMENT, to which, as a long-time leader, is complete crap.  Most folks like and NEED a pat on the back, direction or motivation.  It's just how we are as humans.  

So, the last argument is bullshit, and psychological ministrations are part of the god damn job.  If Philbin were less of what he is and more of what Rex is, he'd be a better head coach.  Of course, his gameday decisions would still get him fired, but I think we'd win more games.

Why do they say guys would run through a wall for Rex Ryan?  Is it because he sits on his hands and lets the guys get prepared on their own because they're professionals?  Is it because of his superior knowledge of defense?  No, it's because they love Rex, feel that he's got their backs and feel that he gives a shit about them and the game.  Philbin's players say things that sound similar to that, but NO ONE outside of the organization feels that ANY PLAYERS on the Dolphins would run through a wall for Joe Philbin.  

This happens with coaches more than any other position in sports.  So many feel like continuity is the key, because some teams managed to win a Super Bowl after a decade of crap.  BUT, as has been stated by white1, there was some tangible movement towards the goal in all those situations, before they fell short and had to retool the roster.  

It's readily apparent when a guy isn't ready, and you don't need four years.  If you can't see MARKED improvement in 2 years, it's time to consider starting over.  JJ, in Dallas, had a one-win team, I think, and then won 7 the next season, but you could see real, tangible, marked improvement, and the roster after two years looked like a completely different team.  We all know how the next several seasons turned out.

Under Philbin, we have done the same thing each year.  No more, no less.  The only thing that is improving is Tannehill, and that would be light years better if they had an offensive line that could block for him.  He's never had that, and that's a sure-fire way to turn anyone into a player that checks down first, because they're tired of getting the shit kicked out of them by walls of muscle that are trying to take their heads off.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:45 am

Damn, Degarmo, that's one of the best posts I've ever read on a message board.  Absolutely brilliant and on point.  cheers

For once, I actually have nothing to add!   Laughing

Last edited by JMP on Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:12 am; edited 1 time in total

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:08 am

Good coffee inspired me, and thank you Smile

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:00 pm

Degarmo wrote:First off, Omar is a useless loudmouthed moron.  He likes to pretend he's tough, but he's just another blowhard.  I respect him for the years that he's put in, and from time to time he really does some good work, but the rest of the time, he's an aggravating prick.

LMAO!!! I would've put it less harshly, but then again I don't take Omar seriously enough to get that worked up about him.

Continuity . . . this argument needs to be thrown away.  It's usage is nearly never pertinent due to the fact that most of the time it is used to describe keeping around a terrible situation, which JMP nicely described above.

It never ceases to amaze me how one of the defining characteristics of the modern world is constant and superfluous change for the sake of change that never actually improves anything, while simultaneously refusing to change anything that desperately needs it. For example, constant smartphone upgrades while the internal combustion engine that's been around for a century is still in use.

It's readily apparent when a guy isn't ready, and you don't need four years.  If you can't see MARKED improvement in 2 years, it's time to consider starting over.  JJ, in Dallas, had a one-win team, I think, and then won 7 the next season, but you could see real, tangible, marked improvement, and the roster after two years looked like a completely different team.  We all know how the next several seasons turned out.

And 11 wins in year three. That's a ten win improvement in two seasons and unlike the '08 Fins, everyone could tell at the time it was legit and sustainable.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:01 pm

JMP wrote:Damn, Degarmo, that's one of the best posts I've ever read on a message board.  Absolutely brilliant and on point.  cheers

For once, I actually have nothing to add!   Laughing

Remember when I said White1 had possibly won the internet for the week?

Now he might have some stepping up to do Razz Smile

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:07 pm

Seriously, we're getting some A+ posts this week! At least the Phins playing like crap has resulted in something positive.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:21 pm

I think this sums up the general mood of the fanbase right now.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by Triumph Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:23 pm

Fuddy duddy is awesome. But then Degarmo crashed in like Godzilla and demolished the place. Damn. Don't fuck with the bruhs around here.
Triumph
Triumph

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:24 pm

L7 was a great band.  They recently got back together and have been doing some shows, but I wasn't able to see them when they played New York a couple of weeks ago.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:39 pm

JMP wrote:Seriously, we're getting some A+ posts this week!  At least the Phins playing like crap has resulted in something positive.

So the Fins winning make the forum boring I see. We as fans are horrible

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:49 pm

LMAO!!! It's not that, Rightchea. Everyone here would love it if they won. But that's not what's been happening lately, is it? Winning literally just enough to kinda sorta stay in the playoff race until December before predictably imploding isn't exactly the same thing. Doesn't quite make the toes tingle.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:53 pm

rightchea wrote:So the Fins winning make the forum boring I see. We as fans are horrible

LOL! I don't thinkthe fans are the problem...I think the team is horrible, and we just respond to that. If the Phins were winning, it might be more boring - but we'd all be happier!

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:58 pm

Week 3 gems from Philbin:

@OmarKelly
Joe Philbin said Jamil Douglas' development at right guard "is a process."Then he added Dallas Thomas "overall played better than last week"

@AdamHBeasley
Philbin said he's "not ready to pull the plug" on Douglas, and thought Dallas Thomas played better Sunday than in Week 2.

clown

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:02 pm

Serious question: do Thomas and Douglas look alike to the point that Philbin could have them mixed up?

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:08 pm

Thomas has long dreads and Douglas has short hair, so they really don't look alike, physically. But they both suck...that's the biggest similarity.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:12 pm

Hey Jmp, this'll give you even more reason to love PFF. According to them Philbin was actually right and Douglas WAS worse than Thomas yesterday Shocked

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2015/09/28/worst-players-at-every-position-for-week-3/

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:19 pm

Here's a good one, from Philbin's press conference yesterday. I bolded the best part.
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-dolphins/sfl-transcripts-dolphins-bills-20150928-story.html

Question: (Obviously you had to make a lot of improvement defensively the way last season ended. You sign DT Ndamukong Suh and yet it seems like your defense is either where it was last year or maybe even worse. What do you attribute this to?)
Philbin: “It’s the third game of the season. I wish we were playing better, but we are what we are right now. I’m going to take a look at the tape and look at everything we’re doing and make decisions that can help us become better quicker. There’s no magic potion. If there was a magic potion I would have brought it out earlier. Going into the game, we were fifth in the NFL in scoring defense. Obviously we’re not going to be that coming out of the game. We didn’t play very well on defense today whatsoever and we’re have to do better.”

So in Philbin's world, the Miami defense was just fine and dandy before the Buffalo Beatdown. Sleep

Even the most blind-ass homer can see through this bullshit.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:20 pm

DolFan 316 wrote:Hey Jmp, this'll give you even more reason to love PFF. According to them Philbin was actually right and Douglas WAS worse than Thomas yesterday Shocked

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2015/09/28/worst-players-at-every-position-for-week-3/

They were both so bad, it doesn't even matter who was worse. You could literally replace them with no one - just leave the two guard positions empty - and get better results.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:23 pm

speaking of PFF...

– Ryan Tannehill (-3.5) was thoroughly outplayed by a career backup, and he still hasn’t taken any sort of step forward from 2014. This was supposed to be his breakout year, but it’s been a dumpster-fire on offense to start the season for Miami. The Dolphins’ receivers did have five drops, but some of that was due to Tannehill’s inaccuracy.

– Cornerback is a big problem spot for the Dolphins, and it cost them any chance in this one. Brice McCain (-3.7), in particular, was picked on, allowing 6/10 targets for 100 yards. Buffalo skirted around Miami’s D-line and attacked straight at their secondary, using the quick passing game or play-action rollouts.

–  This is the Ndamukong Suh (+5.5) that the Dolphins paid for. He’s not—and never will be—a one man defense, but Suh created consistent havoc on his own while his line-mates struggled to make an impact. He had three stops and one hurry, but blew up linemen on a handful of stunts that couldn’t get home due to Tyrod Taylor’s quick release. Unfortunately for the Dolphins, only one other defensive lineman (Derrick Shelby, +1.6) graded positively for the game.

Top Performers:

DT Ndamukong Suh (+5.5)

WR Rishard Matthews (+2.6)

RT Ja’Wuan James (+1.8

DE Derrick Shelby (+1.6)

RB Lamar Miller (+1.3)

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2015/09/28/buf-mia-grades-richie-incognito-shines-against-former-team/

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:20 pm

Even other sites have noticed how utterly horrible the coaching for this team has been.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/extra-points/2015/miami-being-held-back-poor-coaching

Apparently Lazor loves yammering about how "there's no law" that says the offense has to do silly things like move the ball forward and score. Call me crazy (lord knows I've been called that and worse) but now I'm starting to suspect he or somebody else is now deliberately sabotaging Philbin, possibly so they can take over when he's fired.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next