The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tua played at 60% last season

+4
mercury22nathan
Degarmo
JMP
finfanatic
8 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Tua played at 60% last season - Page 2 Empty Re: Tua played at 60% last season

Post by JMP Fri Jun 04, 2021 3:38 pm

finfanatic wrote:Am I right that the game where Fitz stunk so badly versus the Jets....the Phins won 24-0?

And Myles Gaskin had 91 yards rushing?

And Fitz had 191 yards passing? But Tua getting less than 100 a couple times was much better than 191??

And THAT was the performance that got Fitz benched?

My conspiracy theory post was full on sarcasm, but.... Someone EXPLAIN to me how being 3-1 after the first two putrid loss games is not being on a "roll"?

And am I actually seeing some posts that claim the Phins would NOT HAVE Gone 10-6 if Fitz had stayed the starter?  Is that coming from the Marty McFly Alternative History channel or something????

Seriously... I do not think Fitz's play had ANYTHING to do with the decision. The decision was based on the long term interests of the team, not the short-term, which would have been to keep the aging journeyman QB who had just gone 3-1 to get the team back to 3-3, remember.  Unless of course, that was just the defense, but 6-3 down the stretch was all Tua and no defense?

Shocked

Nope, Flores knew Fitz was not the long term QB of the future, and Tua was, and when the staff deemed Tua ready to go, he was going to be inserted as the starter. To get him and the team ready for the FUTURE. In the LONG TERM best interests of the team.

It was was for THAT REASON, Tua was made the starter IMHO.

And even though he didn't completely grasp the playbook, was only 60% on his legs and athleticism, playing behind a make-shift O-line, and with a depleted corp of WRs..... Tua had some "YIKES" performances. But just think about this...How much further BEHIND would Tua be if he had not gotten the playing time. Not seen first hand the speed of the game, not seen the importance of the calls, the audibles, the shifts, and knowing the playbook 100% backwards and forwards!

Let's all thank goodness we have a HC who makes moves in the best LONG TERM interests of the team.

I still remember that stupid-arse OL Coach who said not letting 1st rd pick Vernon Carey start at RT would not have been FAIR to journeyman RT free agent John ST Clair!!!

Evil or Very Mad     Even today, that level of asinine stupidity makes me angry.

Did you happen to watch that Jets game? If you did, you'll know why the QB change was made.

No need to make up strange conspiracy theories...Fitz was benched because he went 3-3 and struggled against a horrific Jets team (and two weeks before that, struggled against the worst defense in the league at the time - Seattle). Flores knew he probably wasn't making a playoff run with Fitz, so he made a move to try to spark the team. It worked.

And yes - Tua's future certainly played a role in the decision process...but the primary reason was because Fitz is not a Flores QB...too many mistakes for a coach that wants to play mistake-free football.

No one ever said that the 6-3 record was "all Tua and no defense"...no need to make stuff up!

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Fri Jun 04, 2021 4:12 pm

JMP wrote:
DolFan 316 wrote:To play devil's advocate Twisted Evil I can't help but wonder what the excuses will be if Tua struggles again in an offense and with a supporting cast specifically crafted for him. Will it be said that last season somehow doesn't count because injuries, the virus, etc. and this is actually his *real* rookie season so we need to give him at least one more season after this one to "get it"? We already lived through what seemed like 5 years' worth of excuses for why Tannehill wasn't crushing it in Miami. Remember those days? It was literally always something.

Just putting that out there. Cool Because at this point none of us know for certain how Tua will fare one way or the other.

To play devil's advocate: I can't help but wonder what the backtracking and crow-eating will look like when Tua lights up the league. Razz

And you're right - none of us know what the future holds for Tua. So why are so many Dolfans seemingly rooting for him to fail? scratch

Clearly Tua is no Dan Marino

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:17 pm

CarsonChris wrote:

Right now, Tua is no one in that tier.  He has a chance to prove it starting this season.  This is his chance, so he needs to do it.  I have seen very little that indicates he is that tier of a QB on the field YET, but his work ethic, attitude, and personality is excellent.  Hopefully his talent comes through this season.  If not, then he is what he is.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:36 pm

Degarmo wrote:
CarsonChris wrote:

Right now, Tua is no one in that tier.  He has a chance to prove it starting this season.  This is his chance, so he needs to do it.  I have seen very little that indicates he is that tier of a QB on the field YET, but his work ethic, attitude, and personality is excellent.  Hopefully his talent comes through this season.  If not, then he is what he is.

I agree. I hope he can put it together. We invested an entire team around him. The Waddle injury bothers me. Still limping isn't a good sign to me. Factor in Williams, Parker, and Fuller all have a hard time making it through a season and the one strength of the team could be its biggest weakness.

CarsonChris

Degarmo likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sat Jun 05, 2021 1:17 am

CarsonChris wrote:

No one in the history of the NFL was or ever will be Dan Marino...except Dan Marino.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sat Jun 05, 2021 1:20 am

Degarmo wrote:

Yep. Same is true of any player. Gotta develop and get better every year. That's what it's all about. No one's career is written in their rookie season.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Sat Jun 05, 2021 6:31 am

JMP wrote:No one's career is written in their rookie season.

Ryan Leaf, Demarcus Russell and Josh Rosen would disagree.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Sat Jun 05, 2021 12:29 pm

Tua has a lot of potential for an undersized QB with a major injury history and the inability to learn a playbook. Tons of potential!

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sun Jun 06, 2021 3:19 pm

DolFan 316 wrote:
JMP wrote:No one's career is written in their rookie season.

Ryan Leaf, Demarcus Russell and Josh Rosen would disagree.

And Troy Aikman, John Elway, Peyton Manning, Aaron Rodgers, Josh Allen, etc. would agree.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:14 am

More stats that show Tua was a bottom feeder last year.

https://mobile.twitter.com/SamHoppen/status/1400175115321720833/photo/1

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:34 am

CarsonChris wrote:More stats that show Tua was a bottom feeder last year.

https://mobile.twitter.com/SamHoppen/status/1400175115321720833/photo/1

cheers Tua is listed last in the chart you posted because the QBs are listed in alphabetical order by first name. If you compare the actual stats, Tua's stats are almost identical to Herbert's in almost every category. I guess that makes Herbert a bottom feeder too? scratch

Nice try, Carson - keep 'em coming! Laughing Laughing

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Umix10 Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:35 pm

Haven't seen so much hate in a QB then now. We haven't had a consistent team in years. The regime has made a lot of strides in the Front office, the coaching staff and the roster. We have, thus far, built through the draft and carefully crafted out some room for impactful veterans.

In spite all of the changes, there are still people who want to knock a 22 year old kid who had career ending hip surgery and out of football for a year. Not a legendary football coach but it seems to me that if you keep churning the bottom of the roster the top of the roster should be rather competitive. Essentially if we keep improving the line play, the running game gets better, the pass protection gets better, the play calling gets less predictable. In turn, the win column keeps increasing. In 2 years, although a small sample size, that's exactly what these Dolphins have done.

If everyone always gives a regime 3 years, then shouldn't the hate be given a moratorium until next year? If you're basis of knocking Tua is stats, then I'll give you some.......17 season, 29 pick sixes.....252 interceptions (1.66 TD:INT), 110 fumbles, 0-1 in the superbowl, 8-10 in the playoffs and this from arguably the most decorated QB in Dolphins History.
Umix10
Umix10

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:12 pm

Umix10 wrote:Haven't seen so much hate in a QB then now.

Have you forgotten about Jay Fiedler so quickly? I wouldn't blame you if you did but to say Tua's getting the same level of hate as Fiedler did is just revisionist history/recency bias.

Also, did you have a good birthday? Inquiring minds gotta know! cheers

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:27 pm

DolFan 316 wrote:

Have you forgotten about Jay Fiedler so quickly?

I try to forget him...but then people like you bring up his name! Evil or Very Mad

LOL just kidding. I've actually come to terms with my hatred for Fiedler. It is what it is. (shrugs)

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:00 am

I never hated Fiedler. He was a limited QB of course, but he played with a lot of heart.

I did end up hating Tannehill in the end. I was convinced he's a classic "coach killer". And he still might be...
white1
white1

DolFan 316 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Sat Jun 26, 2021 1:36 pm

I'm wondering if Tua roided up in the off season? I read his trainers evaluation saying how puny and weak he was with no workout schedule when he started. Then saying 2.5 hours of workouts 5 days a week and "supplements" changed that. I hate that term supplements.

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Sat Jun 26, 2021 2:44 pm

LOL!

In all seriousness, a man his age really doesn't NEED the supplements. Body still as plenty of growth hormone and energy, literally still growing.

Professional nutrition and training coupled with the work ethic and discipline to stick to the program is all that's required. Amazing that there are still players that won't do it until they are in jeopardy of losing their jobs.

white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Sat Jun 26, 2021 8:35 pm

Steroids are far better now than they ever were.  Let them use any supplements they want.  I mean, they (the NFL brass) are perfectly fine with them all dying young from head injuries, why not allow them to do whatever else they want to do to their bodies?

I mean, personally, I'd prefer they don't, but if they can do it safely, let them take whatever they want safely. All this shit that's banned by the NFL that doesn't do a lick of harm to these guys is ridiculous. The injecting of super-oxygenated blood back into the body for example. What the hell is wrong with doing that? Don't you want your stars recovered and on the field to pitch more beer and cars?

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Mon Jun 28, 2021 1:06 am

Degarmo wrote:Steroids are far better now than they ever were.  Let them use any supplements they want.  I mean, they (the NFL brass) are perfectly fine with them all dying young from head injuries, why not allow them to do whatever else they want to do to their bodies?

I mean, personally, I'd prefer they don't, but if they can do it safely, let them take whatever they want safely. All this shit that's banned by the NFL that doesn't do a lick of harm to these guys is ridiculous. The injecting of super-oxygenated blood back into the body for example. What the hell is wrong with doing that? Don't you want your stars recovered and on the field to pitch more beer and cars?

The NFL hasn't had its first Transgender yet. That switch is women taking male hormone. No different. With the woke NFL I'm surprised they haven't said it's for sexual orientation!

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:25 am

CarsonChris wrote:
Degarmo wrote:Steroids are far better now than they ever were.  Let them use any supplements they want.  I mean, they (the NFL brass) are perfectly fine with them all dying young from head injuries, why not allow them to do whatever else they want to do to their bodies?

I mean, personally, I'd prefer they don't, but if they can do it safely, let them take whatever they want safely.  All this shit that's banned by the NFL that doesn't do a lick of harm to these guys is ridiculous.  The injecting of super-oxygenated blood back into the body for example.  What the hell is wrong with doing that?  Don't you want your stars recovered and on the field to pitch more beer and cars?

The NFL hasn't had its first Transgender yet. That switch is women taking male hormone. No different. With the woke NFL I'm surprised they haven't said it's for sexual orientation!

A woman taking male hormones entering football at a high level will be killed, literally, dead on the field.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:46 am

Tua was smaller last season because in his first offseason he was basically doing nothing but rehabbing his hip. This offseason he is able to work his full body - and by all accounts, he's been working out like a man possessed. You can see the results in his body. And - every single NFL player takes some sort of supplements, so it's no surprise that Tua is too.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:51 am

I mean, personally, I'd prefer they don't, but if they can do it safely, let them take whatever they want safely.  All this shit that's banned by the NFL that doesn't do a lick of harm to these guys is ridiculous.  The injecting of super-oxygenated blood back into the body for example.  What the hell is wrong with doing that?  Don't you want your stars recovered and on the field to pitch more beer and cars?

Agree completely. There are many natural treatments - certain steroids and the blood injections for example - that can help players heal quicker and have no negative side effects. Why can't players use these treatments? It's absurd that the NFL still has these antiquated guidelines that ignore modern medical and holistic sciences.

JMP
Admin

HalCHorn likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2