The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tua to Grant, who is on the hot seat

+2
white1
finfanatic
6 posters

Go down

Tua to Grant, who is on the hot seat Empty Tua to Grant, who is on the hot seat

Post by finfanatic Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:02 am

https://dolphinswire.usatoday.com/2021/06/17/watch-tua-tagovailoa-dials-up-jakeem-grant-deep-at-minicamp/

Tua to Grant on a deep pass.

Does anyone think Grant might step it up now that the Phins have drafted Waddle?

This is a pairing that left some plays out on the field in 2020. Tagovailoa left a throw just before half against the Chargers short for what would have been a miraculous play, Grant misplayed a deep throw from Tagovailoa against Cincinnati that would have been a 90+ yard touchdown. Tagovailoa hung a throw short against Kansas City that turned into an interception and Grant bobbled a crosser against Las Vegas that went for 5 yards on 3rd and 8 but, if caught clean, could have been a 50+ yard score.

If some of those “almost” plays can become plays, Tagovailoa’s stat line and perhaps the perception about him as a player is a little different. But the perception about Grant would definitely be different — he’s entering this year’s camp on the hot seat. So the more plays like that he can make in July and August, the better his chances are of salvaging a roster spot.
finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Tua to Grant, who is on the hot seat Empty Re: Tua to Grant, who is on the hot seat

Post by white1 Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:04 am

I think Grant has shown what he is. Too inconsistent to be counted on. I'd be surprised if he beats out the competition... there are a LOT of receivers vying for 6 or 7 roster spots...
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Tua to Grant, who is on the hot seat Empty Re: Tua to Grant, who is on the hot seat

Post by JMP Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:07 am

white1 wrote:I think Grant has shown what he is.  Too inconsistent to be counted on.  I'd be surprised if he beats out the competition... there are a LOT of receivers vying for 6 or 7 roster spots...

Yep. "Too inconsistent to be counted on" is the key here.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:16 am

Yeah, I think his contract cap number is probably gonna do him in too.

But it will ultimately depend on who the Phins find to takeover the KR and PR duties.

finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:02 pm

If Grant were as useless as some of you think he'd have been cut already. Whoever replaces him had damn well better be a significant upgrade or else it's just a pure cost-saving move that didn't actually help the team be better.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:04 pm

Oh I agree with you there Df - speed kills snd he’s got plenty.

I’m just saying I hope he’s putting in the work on those hands - we’re starting to accumulate several receivers with excellent speed ….
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:25 am

It's only OTAs, we can't judge Grant on his past performance. This is his year to step up, and with his measurables as far as speed and moves, he may blossom into a great receiver. Wink

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:06 am

Speed kills the opposing team...bad hands and poor route running kill your own team. Yes, Grant is a dynamic speed demon with (theoretical) playmaking ability. But his hands and routes are inconsistent at best, and he becomes a drive-killer for his team. How many big plays has he made on offense in the NFL? We're talking about a guy who hasn't caught a pass over 30 yards the past two seasons, and who in his best year averaged well under 30 receiving yards a game. He has 5 career receiving TDs.

Yes, Grant is a great returner (when he is able to field the ball cleanly). But really, you can find 10 small, fast returners on the 'street free agent' list any day of the year who will get paid the vet minimum.

I love rooting for Grant on game day. He's a fun player, seems like a good guy, and I just keep waiting for him to realize his potential. But he's now been in the league for 5 seasons. I think it's safe to say that he is what he is at this point, and the bottom line is this: we can easily bring in another returner/receiver to do what he does at a fraction of the cost, and it wouldn't be difficult for the new guy to be a more impactful receiver than Grant has been.

I'm much more interested in seeing what a healthy Albert Wilson can do in this offense, than in praying that Jakeem Grant finally learns how to be an NFL wide receiver.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:45 am

I suspect they want Perry to take the KR\PR duties.

As for Wilson.... you would think with drafting Waddle, Wilson would be on the outs. He did SIT OUT last season over virus concerns. But I am sort of wondering what it would be like to see Waddle in one slot and Wilson in the other?

Yep, I agree on Grant... Someone with that much speed SHOULD be getting a deep pass every one in a awhile.

What was that WR Ireland kept pushing? Clyde Gates? He told Sleepy Grandpa Queasy Joe how fast he was. And Joe said, "Yeah, we know he's fast. Now we just need to find out if he can play football."

Neutral
finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:59 pm

Ugh...Clyde Gates. No

Wilson's name seems to be coming up a lot this offseason, in a positive way. Unless something changes over the summer, I think he's on this team. As you said, FF, he can play one of the slot positions, and he also has the ability to line up outside.

And relevant to this thread: Wilson can also handle the "gadget" plays that Grant runs.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Umix10 Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:03 am

Grant does have suspect hands. It seems almost every catch he had was pads. I don't think he makes the team but his only shot is injury to someone else. He doesn't have the size to run vertical routes. His best routes are going to be bubble screens and crossers. We just never used him like that.
Umix10
Umix10

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down