The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mac Jones Starting Week 1 - Pats Cut Newton

+3
DolFan 316
JEGnj
white1
7 posters

Go down

Mac Jones Starting Week 1 - Pats Cut Newton Empty Mac Jones Starting Week 1 - Pats Cut Newton

Post by white1 Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:11 am

Well it's settled now. Tua vs Mac Jones week 1 against NE.

Pats outright released Cam today. WOW. Dual of Alabama QBs!

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/08/31/patriot-cut-cam-newton-as-mac-jones-wins-starting-quarterback-battle/

white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Mac Jones Starting Week 1 - Pats Cut Newton Empty Re: Mac Jones Starting Week 1 - Pats Cut Newton

Post by JEGnj Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:21 am

The only one to control the stop of rumors and QB BS is Tua. Go out and win.
JEGnj
JEGnj

DolFan 316 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Mac Jones Starting Week 1 - Pats Cut Newton Empty Re: Mac Jones Starting Week 1 - Pats Cut Newton

Post by DolFan 316 Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:34 am

I read about this, and Cam essentially got cut because he wasn't vaxxed. This is a real thing teams are doing and will continue doing.

And yes, it will be a really bad look if this team loses to the Pats in the opener now. There are officially no excuses not to win that game.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:51 pm

The battle of Bama 2021.

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Tue Aug 31, 2021 3:07 pm

Spoke to a fellow fin fan at work... um.... did we take the WRONG Alabama QB?

Obviously, there won't be evidence until end of this season earliest, and at the latest I would say end of 2022 season. Two full years will probably put the verdict in.

I'm hoping and praying that Grier / Flores did not "miss" on their franchise QB. I really like the defense, and I'm not sure Ross will have the patience to let them try again to find a QB.

I just got this sinking feeling when the Pats cut Cam Newton. Actions speak louder than words, and they spoke very loudly on how they feel about M Jones...
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Tue Aug 31, 2021 4:09 pm

Cam was not a Belicheck type player IMO.

Mac Jones... He is good. I think Belicheck thinks he has the next Tom Brady.

We Shall See.

If Tua can get off the dump offs and start hitting some deep passes, everything will be groovy!

The Oline has to pass block and just as importantly I think, open some holes for Gaskin and Co to run through.

A rushing attack that WORKS...that makes the Defense have to play to stop the run... will help Tua on the long balls IMO.

I ain't real SURE this O-line has what it takes though. I suspect big bad D-lines are gonna punch them in the face and take their lunch money! Shocked
finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by JEGnj Tue Aug 31, 2021 4:16 pm

4pm on cut day NFL Network has a preseason game on instead of Live coverage. Does not make sense.
JEGnj
JEGnj

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Tue Aug 31, 2021 5:34 pm

white1 wrote:Spoke to a fellow fin fan at work... um.... did we take the WRONG Alabama QB?

Obviously, there won't be evidence until end of this season earliest, and at the latest I would say end of 2022 season.  Two full years will probably put the verdict in.

I'm hoping and praying that Grier / Flores did not "miss" on their franchise QB.  I really like the defense, and I'm not sure Ross will have the patience to let them try again to find a QB.  

I just got this sinking feeling when the Pats cut Cam Newton.  Actions speak louder than words, and they spoke very loudly on how they feel about M Jones...

I thought you were supposed to be the optimist around here scratch

At any rate there's absolutely no reason for any of us to expect Jones to come right out of the gate in his first ever NFL game and whip this team. Even in '01 Brady didn't fare so well the first time he went up against them.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/200110070mia.htm

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:59 pm

If you ask former Alabama receivers the answer to who they prefer, it's Mac. We shall see.

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:09 pm

Maybe the Pats game is being used as an audition for Tua. As in, if he can't even beat Mac Freaking Jones then at that point Ross will force a Watson trade. Just a feeling I have.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:49 am

New England usually plays a great first game. Miami doesn't seem to get it together for a couple games.

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:30 am

white1 wrote:Spoke to a fellow fin fan at work... um.... did we take the WRONG Alabama QB?

Obviously, there won't be evidence until end of this season earliest, and at the latest I would say end of 2022 season.  Two full years will probably put the verdict in.

I'm hoping and praying that Grier / Flores did not "miss" on their franchise QB.  I really like the defense, and I'm not sure Ross will have the patience to let them try again to find a QB.  

I just got this sinking feeling when the Pats cut Cam Newton.  Actions speak louder than words, and they spoke very loudly on how they feel about M Jones...

Jones was never as good as Tua, and never will be. They were completely different QBs at Alabama. Tua threw bombs all over the field, and Jones threw short passes and let his receivers run wild. You're seeing the same thing in New England this summer...Jones is completing almost nothing but short passes. Newton was cut because Newton sucks, and has for the past few years. He threw what, 8 TDs last season?? His arm is shot.

The Patriots' offensive philosophy is going to be run the ball, run the ball and run the ball some more. Jones will mix in some easy short passes to their weak receiving corps. You want to beat the Pats this season, you stop the run. It's that simple. We'll find out right away if the Phins really did shore up their run defense in the offseason.

And just keep doubting Tua...he's gonna make all of you eat your words. Twisted Evil

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:05 am

And just keep doubting Tua...he's gonna make all of you eat your words. Twisted Evil

I'm citing my status as a long-battered, mentally scarred Fins Fan that has seen us try and fail so many times... now I just expect it.

I am looking forward to the day I can laugh that I once doubted Tua!!!
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:29 am

Doubting Tua isn't even the issue for me. I've recognized his improvement so far this year and am willing to wait and see. If anything I'd be shocked if he *wasn't* significantly better this season.

The issue for me is that so many other people are doubting him and have already written him off that these Watson rumors have gained far more traction than they had any right to, and Ross might be one of those people. The media has a nasty habit of making perception reality. It doesn't matter if I don't doubt Tua, only the opinions of his doubters seem to matter at this point. That's an extremely hard thing to fight in today's world.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Wed Sep 01, 2021 11:07 am

DolFan 316 wrote:...only the opinions of his doubters seem to matter at this point.

the only opinion that matters as far as Tua is concerned is Flores'.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Sep 01, 2021 11:09 am

I know it is fashionable to shit all over Tua, but look at these stats:

7 wins, 2 losses, 1970 yards, 19 total TDs, 5 INTs, 58.4 completion %, 7.67 yards per attempt

6 wins, 3 losses, 1805 yards, 14 total TDs, 5 INTs, 63.9 completion %, 6.27 yards per attempt

4 wins, 5 losses, 1559 yards, 12 total TDs, 9 INTs, 52.9 completion %, 6.55 yards per attempt

The first group of stats are Dan Marino’s first 9 starts, the second are Tua’s, and the third are Josh Allen’s.

Keep in mind: unlike Tua, Marino and Allen were both healthy and had full offseasons and preseasons.

As I’ve said many times, the narrative that Tua sucked as a rookie is complete bullshit.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Wed Sep 01, 2021 1:50 pm

DolFan 316 wrote:I read about this, and Cam essentially got cut because he wasn't vaxxed. This is a real thing teams are doing and will continue doing.

what? that's crazy talk. no one would do that.

"Everyone was considered," Meyer said. "That was part of the [considerations such as] production, let's start talking about this, and also is he vaccinated or not? Can I say that that was a decision-maker? It was certainly in consideration."

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/32121794/jacksonville-jaguars-urban-meyer-says-vaccination-status-factor-roster-cuts

oops. never mind.

mercury22nathan

JMP and DolFan 316 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Wed Sep 01, 2021 1:57 pm

I knew about that but wasn't going to bring it up because even *I* realize I've been yammering way too much about that subject lately.

But since *you* brought it up... Twisted Evil

The NFLPA is now going to "investigate" Meyer, which I suspect will last 24 hours and won't result in anything. He's only saying what at least 25 other head coaches are thinking but are too smart/savvy to say.

What bothers me about this more than anything is that Urban Meyer is the absolute last NFL coach to be taking any sort of moral stance or have moral authority on anything Evil or Very Mad It's yet another example of what I've been talking about, where somehow the most morally bankrupt people are being allowed to set the standards and rules for everybody else.

At least what I'm sure some of you thought was me being paranoid is now being proven true. Not that I feel good about it.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:58 am

“Mac Jones didn’t beat me out,” Cam said. “But I would have been a distraction knowing if they would have given him the starting role. They knew the perception that would have had if the success didn’t come.”

He also believes if he had been the starter from Week 1, that New England, now sporting a loaded roster, risked him having a lot of early success and delaying the transition to Jones.

“With that roster you can win right now,” Cam said. “If you go 4-1 or 5-0, you’re locked in … the reason why they released me is because indirectly I was going to be a distraction, without being the starter.”

“The truth of the matter is this, he would have been uncomfortable. And they knew.”

https://sports.yahoo.com/cam-newton-speaks-on-camera-after-cut-by-patriots-143825140.html

interesting.

mercury22nathan

DolFan 316 and white1 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:38 pm

Interesting indeed...but I'm wondering where New England's "loaded roster" is...are they hiding it from public view??? scratch

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down