The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The rookie watch

+4
DolFan 316
Umix10
JMP
CarsonChris
8 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

The rookie watch   - Page 3 Empty Re: The rookie watch

Post by JMP Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:04 pm

DolFan 316 wrote:
HalCHorn wrote:first 3 starts in 2020, he means; which does include that excellent game in Arizona.

WHOOPS~! And I'm usually great at reading comprehension too Embarassed

But even then Tua's yardage looks pathetic, and nobody should be surprised at Wilson or Jones struggling, or that Fields is already sucking big time, and Trey Lance can't even get on the field yet. It's like seeing everybody raving about Rosen and Darnold before the 2018 draft all over again.

The shocker is Lawrence not tearing it up out of the gate, but he still has as many TDs as anyone else on the list, plus it's easy to tell that Uh-ban's ruining him.

It's not really a surprise that Lawrence is struggling.  He needs to learn how to read defenses.  He was in a one-read system in college, and that's not gonna fly against NFL defenses.

But regardless, Urban is taking a crappy team and somehow making them even crappier.  In over his head for sure.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:57 pm

Waddle leads all rookies in receptions, and has now climbed to second in receiving scores, so there's that at least Smile

It's not that Waddle's a bad player, it's that the cost of trading up for him was too steep and he didn't play a position this team really needed as badly as others (cougholinecough). Then again this team would've no doubt ruined Sewell, who stunk on the right side in preseason which is what he'd have needed to play in Miami. A part of me was really hoping the Son Of Surtain would be a Fin, and in hindsight that probably would've been a better pick than a WR who the OCs refuse to let catch any pass that travels more than 5 yards in the air.

Then again, I haven't heard a thing about any deviant behavior from Parsons and he seems to be doing well (that figures) and taking Mac Jones at 12 would've initially been seen as insane, but now he's better than Tua IMO.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:01 pm

Also, Harris really would've fit in well with this offense since he's apparently the ideal RB to throw short dumpoffs to, the RB I wanted (Williams) is currently second in rookie rushing yardage and Jones somehow leads all rookie QBs in passing yardage despite apparently throwing nothing but short little baby tosses and his stats are very comparable to that once in a generation QB Lawrence. Also, Rousseau has twice as many sacks as Phillips.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2021/draft.htm

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:13 pm

I believe Rousseau also had a pick six last week
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:19 pm

Waddle is playing well, but like Elijiah Moore isn't being used well. Kadarius Toney, Devonta Smith and JaMarr Chase are all being put in position to succeed. They all have more yards than Waddle, who might as well be in an Adam Gase offense.

HalCHorn

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:02 pm

HalCHorn wrote:Waddle is playing well, but like Elijiah Moore isn't being used well. Kadarius Toney, Devonta Smith and JaMarr Chase are all being put in position to succeed. They all have more yards than Waddle, who might as well be in an Adam Gase offense.

I will say I don't like Waddle returning kicks. He seems to shy from contact.

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:17 pm

On the positive side, Waddle is still leading all rookie receivers with 37 catches - Smith and Chase are next on the list with 27 each. Waddle's 3 TDs are second only to Chase, who has 5. No other rookie WR has more than 1 TD.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:35 am

FINS ROOKIE UPDATE: Waddle is lapping the field in receptions, and is now up to second in yards somehow Shocked Phillips is now second in sacks, and Holland is tied for second in INTs with two sacks of his own cheers

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:33 pm

DolFan 316 wrote:FINS ROOKIE UPDATE: Waddle is lapping the field in receptions, and is now up to second in yards somehow Shocked Phillips is now second in sacks, and Holland is tied for second in INTs with two sacks of his own cheers

Damn...THREE potential superstars in one draft! cheers cheers cheers

JMP
Admin

DolFan 316 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:42 am

DolFan 316 wrote:Phillips is now second in sacks

hmm, what could've happened to turn his season around? hmm... so the Phins started out by playing him at OLB.

The Dolphins — who moved him from defensive end (his primary position at UM) to linebacker

even dropping him into pass coverage 36 times! but as of late (you know, since he's actually gotten good)...

Phillips opened his press availability on Monday by crediting teammates for helping set up those three sacks. “Without them, it wouldn’t have been possible,” he said. “...the other D-linemen for getting pressures to make it happen.”

he's actually been playing primarily DE (while VanGinkel has been the primary OLB)...the position he excelled at in college.

as a matter of fact, the Phins opened the game against Carolina in a 4-3 alignment and have been playing a much larger percentage of it during this recent defensive resurgence. if only they had listened to me from the beginning...

mercury22nathan wrote:i've never been a fan of the 3-4. i think its too easy to run on and requires far more talent at LB than Miami has had in a several generations. i think the current talent lends itself to a base 4-3 anyways. Davis is good, but he isn't Richard Seymour NT good. Wilkins is a tweener - not big enough to be a NT not agile enough to be a DE...yet that is where he is playing. i think he would be a better 4-3 DT next to Davis. our new guy J Phillips was terrible as an OLB at UCLA and great as a DE at UMiami...so what do the Phins do...move him to OLB. remember even Jason Taylor began his career as a great 4-3 DE and did not transition to 3-4 OLB until he was forced to. Miami's LBers are the Jerome Baker 225lbs guys who could benefit from more beef in front of them - they are not the 3-4 super athletic thumpers (like the Steelers and Pats LBers of recent glory). i get versatility, but i'm just not sure the defense is tailored to match the talent that's available...despite the current regime being in control of both scheme design and talent acquisition.

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com/t2436-13-and-35-miami-s-draft

just saying. Cool

mercury22nathan

JMP, DolFan 316 and HalCHorn like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:16 am

Great points, merc. What I love about this defense is that when they use the amoeba formation, positions don't matter. Any player can literally line up anywhere, and then move (or not) at the snap. The offense has no idea who is doing what or where they'll be.

I think the fact that Phillips has now played a lot of LB helps with the amoeba - it gives him versatility so that the coaches can move him around and trust that he'll know what to do. They also have him doing a lot of stunts and twists as well, so he can strategically find openings in the OL, and he can get into the backfield quickly using his speed and athleticism. Once he adds a bit more strength - look out. He's going to be special.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:24 am

Merc is just too modest. He needs to toot his own horn more Cool

Seriously, he does. I'd completely forgotten he said that about the D.

Speaking of Merc, I'd like to ask his expert opinion on the following rookie O-line prospects: Charles Cross, Trevor Penning, Tyler Linderbaum, Ikem Ekwonu and Darian Kinnard.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:54 am

I haven't watched as much college football as usual this year, but I keep hearing about how good Charles Cross is. I'd be curious to hear merc's take on him, too.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:08 am

JMP wrote:I haven't watched as much college football as usual this year, but I keep hearing about how good Charles Cross is.  I'd be curious to hear merc's take on him, too.

I actually watched the Egg Bowl (Mississippi St. VS Ole Miss) at my sister's on Thanksgiving night because that game is a Very Big Deal around where I live. Didn't really have an opinion on Cross one way or another, but the other senior OT was absolutely horrible and made Ole Miss's Sam Williams look like a Hall Of Famer in the making (he'll be in this upcoming draft too).

From what I've read about Cross compared to Penning, I prefer Penning but that might be just me. Cross seems like too much of a project and spending yet another first round pick on that kind of player is literally the last thing this team needs.

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:07 pm

It's a good year for OTs and while Linderbaum is the top C and most NFL ready at that position, there are other promising prospects (i.e. Alec Lindstrom of BC)

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:38 pm

We will always wonder what might have been if the Dolphins didn't think that this season began on November 1st. Oh well, according to PFF, we do have two of the top 7 highest graded rookies through the end of November:

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-top-15-highest-graded-nfl-rookies-week-12-2021

If Phillips keeps coming on, this will look like an excellent draft. Grier may well be able to breathe easier.

HalCHorn

JMP and DolFan 316 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:45 pm

HalCHorn wrote:We will always wonder what might have been if the Dolphins didn't think that this season began on November 1st.

In Flores' three seasons this team is a combined 4-17 before November 1st and currently 16-7 afterwards. It's officially a problem.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:52 pm

Also, Waddle at 7th is at the moment ahead of 12th ranked Ja'Marr Chase and 13th ranked Devonta Smith and is the highest ranked WR. Kyle Pitts is 8th.

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:00 am

HalCHorn wrote:Also, Waddle at 7th is at the moment ahead of 12th ranked Ja'Marr Chase and 13th ranked Devonta Smith and is the highest ranked WR. Kyle Pitts is 8th.

Crazy how just a few weeks ago Chase was the greatest thing since sliced bread. But in the last 4 games here are his yardage totals: 32, 49, 32, 39. Maybe he's hitting that "rookie wall" sooner than expected?

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:35 am

Waddle starting to lap the rookie field in receptions now--nearly 30 ahead of second place and 31 ahead of Chase Shocked He's also second in yards.

Phillips is now second in sacks and closing fast on Parsons. He may grab the lead before the season's done yet.

Holland still tied for second in INTs.

If only Grier's 2020 draft was as good as this one (sighs).

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:47 am

DolFan 316 wrote:Waddle starting to lap the rookie field in receptions now--nearly 30 ahead of second place and 31 ahead of Chase Shocked He's also second in yards.

Phillips is now second in sacks and closing fast on Parsons. He may grab the lead before the season's done yet.

Grier should no longer be allowed to pick offensive lineman. Maybe we have dual GM's. The new GM picks offensive linemen and running backs.

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:48 am

DolFan 316 wrote:Waddle starting to lap the rookie field in receptions now--nearly 30 ahead of second place and 31 ahead of Chase Shocked He's also second in yards.

To have three rookies playing at such a high level is pretty special in general...but for the Dolphins, it's miraculous!

The thing with the 2020 draft is, if Tua continues to ball out and proves to be a true franchise QB then that draft was a success even with all the misses. Plus, Raekown Davis, Brandon Jones and yes even Blake Ferguson were all above average picks based on where they were drafted. And who knows...Robert Hunt may not be a lost cause if he gets real coaching. So, yeah, the Jackson and Iggy picks look awful...but otherwise that's not a bad haul - and if Tua pans out it's a great draft IMO.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:50 am

BTW - Waddle is now tied for second overall in the entire NFL in receptions. Cooper Kupp leads with 100 catches, and Waddle, Keenan Allen and Tyreek Hill are next with 86 each.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3