The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Oline changes to be made

5 posters

Go down

Oline changes to be made Empty Oline changes to be made

Post by mercury22nathan Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:47 am

so the good news is that Miami realizes it has a problem on the oline and is going to try to do something.  hey, that's at least a start - i guess.  but now to what they are actually going to do to supposedly address the issues:

According to team sources, Solomon Kindley — who started the first two games at left guard — is expected to go to the bench against Las Vegas and rookie second-round pick Liam Eichenberg is expected to be inserted as a starter Sunday, barring another change of heart by the staff during practices this week.

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article254113958.html

umm, ok.  so they're going to remove their highest rated run blocker and call it a day.  admittedly, we don't know what goes on behind the scenes, but it appears that Miami is going to ignore the issues at tackle and blame it all on Kindley - who they already tried to replace during preseason after moving him to the left from the right side where he performed at least competently last year.

Austin Jackson is expected to keep his job at left tackle for now, but he knows he must improve. Internally, he graded out as Miami’s second-worst lineman against Buffalo, per sources [Davis being the worst].

...and has been one of the NFL’s lowest-graded tackles since the start of his rookie season in 2020.

and yea, Kindley is the problem???

Dolphins coaches and officials, this week, privately and briefly discussed the wisdom of two global issues: moving Robert Hunt back from right guard to right tackle and possibly shifting Jackson from left tackle to guard. The sources said both remain on the table as long-term options, but the Dolphins are not expected to execute either of those moves now.

at least they are willing to admit they may have made a mistake.

Per sources, the Dolphins have gone back-and-forth about where to play Jesse Davis and Eichenberg. There’s some thought to having Davis continue at right tackle and Eichenberg at left guard, and it wouldn’t be surprising if that’s the direction they go against Las Vegas.

But there’s also some internal support to having Davis move to left guard (where he has experience) and playing Eichenberg at right tackle, where he played (and allowed five pressures) after Davis left Sunday’s game with a knee injury.

cause you know, no matter what Davis HAS to be on the field someway, somehow.  Rolling Eyes

i guess its a start, but IMHO the first step isn't the right step and not nearly enough to fix this line.  unfortunately, the talent to actually fix the line may not be on the roster (despite the draft resources spent), but certain moves, again IMHO, could be made to make it better.  but this first move ain't it.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Oline changes to be made Empty Re: Oline changes to be made

Post by white1 Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:04 am

It is really a discouraging line of discussion. All the draft resources spent and free agents brought in, and we're still struggling to field a solid five man unit. And no one can tell me constant juggling and shifting of guys from one spot to another doesn't have the effect of stunting growth and development across the board.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:28 am

not to mention Miami's inability to find a competent Oline coach - what are they on now, Flores' 4th Oline coach? and what makes me even more concerned, is there is apparently debate between the staff as to who should be playing where. might the co-coordinators not agree. is the oline coach at odds. does Flores dictate the changes? i hope this is not signs of a dysfunctional offensive coaching staff.

oh, and just to frustrate you even more, other team (like KC, Buffalo and Seattle) go out and fix their oline issues in one offseason, while Miami can't get it done is a decade.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:01 am

Yep. Early reports are both Penei Sewell and Rashawn Slater are playing great, their respective teams are thrilled with them.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:43 am

so encouraging news for this weekend's matchup in LV.

It won’t be an advantageous matchup every week — but Miami should certainly have a leg up in the trenches this weekend against the Raiders. Maxx Crosby is the star of the show up front for Las Vegas. He’s 255 pounds. Yannick Ngakoue is the other starting defense end — he’s nearly 10 pounds lighter than that at 246. Quinton Jefferson mans an interior spot at 291 pounds. There’s a lot of side advantages for Miami to key on up front.

Nose tackle Jonathan Hankins is 340 pounds; but here’s every other defensive lineman on the roster for the Raiders and their current stature:

Crosby: 255 pounds
Ngakoue: 246 pounds
Carl Nassib: 275 pounds
Clelin Ferrell: 265 pounds
Jefferson: 291 pounds
Solomon Thomas: 280 pounds
Darius Philon: 286 pounds
Malcolm Koonce: 250 pounds
Damion Square: 293 pounds

The Dolphins top-6 offensive lineman average a 43.6 pound advantage over the size of the Raiders’ defensive line. And if the Raiders want to combat that by playing more of Carl Nassib and Clelin Ferrell, then it helps the Dolphins resolve the conundrum of how to slow down the Raiders’ pass rush.

And if you can’t run the ball on the Raiders with this kind of size advantage, it will probably be time to ask some hard questions about personnel, coaching and how all the pieces of the puzzle fit together. But right now things seem pretty simple for Miami. Run downhill at the Raiders and put all this size you’ve coveted up front for three years to good use.

https://sports.yahoo.com/one-thing-miami-needs-more-123727366.html

so of course Miami is preparing for this matchup by sitting their biggest and best run blocker. uuugggghhhhh!

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:57 am

white1 wrote:Yep.  Early reports are both Penei Sewell and Rashawn Slater are playing great, their respective teams are thrilled with them.

As I said at some point between Sunday and now, Sewell wouldn't have helped this team one bit because in preseason he was awful at RT. Had the Fins drafted him he'd have just been moved inside. Amazing how the freaking LIONS had the common sense to move Sewell back to the side he fared well enough to be a top 10 pick at, after realizing their mistake.

This team had no chance at Slater BTW, not unless Grier traded up 5 spots. And even if it happened he'd have just been completely misused by this staff anyway.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:59 am

SO...let me get this straight. The coaches make a big deal about changing the o-line personnel, before changing as little as possible and completely ignoring any change that would actually work? Yup, seems about right in today's world.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:03 pm

Nothing has been officially announced yet. We'll see if we get any official news later in the week, but may have to wait till gameday to see exactly who is starting where.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:22 am

Only two teams have allowed QB pressure on more than 50% of their dropbacks through Week 2, per
@PFF
:

New York Jets (52%)
Miami Dolphins (55%)

https://twitter.com/PFF_AustinGayle/status/1440338757199155202?s=20

wow!!

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:19 pm

mercury22nathan wrote:
Only two teams have allowed QB pressure on more than 50% of their dropbacks through Week 2, per
@PFF
:

New York Jets (52%)
Miami Dolphins (55%)

https://twitter.com/PFF_AustinGayle/status/1440338757199155202?s=20

wow!!

Damn, that is UGLY. Like I said, no QB can succeed under those conditions. Let's just hope the coaches can figure out a plan that works, and damn soon!

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:26 pm

I feel some Wildcat offense on the horizon.

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:31 pm

CarsonChris wrote:I feel some Wildcat offense on the horizon.  

I'm sure they'll mix it in every now and then, as they did in week 1.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:35 am

Rookie Liam Eichenberg said he has practiced this week at both guard and tackle. “They flipped me around the whole week,” he said.

According to a source, the Dolphins began the week intending to start Eichenberg at one position and move Solomon Kindley to the bench, provided Jesse Davis — off a knee injury — is able to play. But Eichenberg must practice well for the Dolphins to stick with that plan.

Davis was again limited in practice on Thursday with a knee issue.

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article254114403.html

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:44 am

I know some people hate to see linemen moved around, but I think it's great to cross-train Eich. It gives us options and allows us to make changes on the fly, if needed.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down