The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Game thoughts: week 11 Dolphins at Jets

5 posters

Go down

Game thoughts: week 11 Dolphins at Jets Empty Game thoughts: week 11 Dolphins at Jets

Post by JMP Sun Nov 21, 2021 4:35 pm

The Dolphins won their third consecutive game today with an ugly win against the last place Jets.  On a day when the two teams had almost identical offensive stats across the board, the Dolphins did just enough to win.

It’s hard to get too excited about Tua Tagovaiola’s dink and dunk offense, but he carried the team today, completing over 80% of his passes for 273 yards and 2 TDs.  He did throw an ugly INT early, but otherwise he played an efficient game and took what the defense gave him.  Despite being under heavy pressure all day, Tua did a good job of avoiding pressure and finding open receivers.  The offensive playcalling was head-scratching, to say the least, especially in the red zone where they constantly took the ball out of Tua’s hands to run direct-RB snaps that did nothing.  With the constant pressure it was impossible to get a deep passing game going, so the Dolphins didn’t even bother attempting any – except one, on the play of the game.  Mack Hollins got behind the defense, and Tua – on the run and running for his life – threw a deep bomb that hit Hollins and resulted in a 65-yard TD.  Tua also hit Gaskin for a short TD later in the game, while getting absolutely pounded by a Jets’ defender.  Jaylen Waddle made some key plays despite once again being used only on short routes, finishing the day with 8 catches and outrunning the defense to the outside for a TD run on the opening drive.

The OL was once again dreadful in pass protection, with Tua under pressure all game.  On one play, he got sacked by literally 4 Jets.  The play was nullified by a Jets’ penalty, but you just can’t have 4 players getting to the QB on one play – unacceptable.  The Dolphins did not allow a sack – but that is a testament to Tua’s escapability and not a measure of the OL’s success.  The OL was at least somewhat better in run blocking, as Gaskin quietly had an 89-yard rushing day.

The defense went back to bend-but-don’t-break mode today, and despite allowing just 17 points it seemed like the Jets were able to move the ball well all day.  The Jets beat the Miami Cover-0 defense on one play in the third quarter, where rookie WR Elijah Moore got open and had a 62-yard catch-and-run TD.  Otherwise, the Dolphins did enough on defense to win.  Key plays included a 3rd down sack by Jae Phillips late in the game, and an earlier sack-forced fumble by Brandon Jones in the red zone that was recovered by Christian Wilkins.

Jason Sanders missed a 32-yard FG late in the first half, but did kick a 24 yarder to seal the victory late.

Overall, it was an ugly game – but I’ll take the win every time, especially against the hated Jets.  The Dolphins will look to make it 4 wins in a row next week as they host the Cam Newton-led Panthers.

Hero of the Game: I have to give it to Tua, for an efficient effort that included several key throws while under heavy pressure.  The coaches seem to be trying to undermine Tua, but he is making the most of what he’s been given to work with.

Goat of the Game: Once again, the OL.  I have run out of words to describe just how pathetic this group is.  Dishonorable mention to the offensive playcalling – just terrible, especially in the red zone.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Game thoughts: week 11 Dolphins at Jets Empty Re: Game thoughts: week 11 Dolphins at Jets

Post by DolFan 316 Sun Nov 21, 2021 4:36 pm

Got this one up quick, I love it cheers cheers cheers

JMP wrote:The offensive playcalling was head-scratching, to say the least, especially in the red zone where they constantly took the ball out of Tua’s hands to run direct-RB snaps that did nothing.  With the constant pressure it was impossible to get a deep passing game going, so the Dolphins didn’t even bother attempting any – except one, on the play of the game.  Mack Hollins got behind the defense, and Tua – on the run and running for his life – threw a deep bomb that hit Hollins and resulted in a 65-yard TD.

I'm telling you, Flores does NOT want Tua looking good. I'm completely serious when I say this is a conspiracy to hold Tua back so a Watson trade looks good. There's literally no other explanation for what you're seeing. The one deep pass they call actually works, so...they refuse to do it again? Okay  Rolling Eyes  Rolling Eyes  Rolling Eyes

The OL was once again dreadful in pass protection, with Tua under pressure all game.  On one play, he got sacked by literally 4 Jets.  The play was nullified by a Jets’ penalty, but you just can’t have 4 players getting to the QB on one play – unacceptable.

Did this happen before or after I said in the game thread that Flores was so upset at the deep pass score he ordered the O-line not to block at all?

Overall, it was an ugly game – but I’ll take the win every time, especially against the hated Jets.  The Dolphins will look to make it 4 wins in a row next week as they host the Cam Newton-led Panthers.

I mean, as long as they keep winning I'll keep rooting for them to win. Might as well, especially since the rest of the AFC seems determined to sink down to their level. At 47, this team has a serious shot at the playoffs.

As for the Panthers, I consider Cam to be a vaccine traitor and a supporter of global tyranny, and he MUST pay!!!  Twisted Evil  Twisted Evil  Twisted Evil

Hero of the Game: I have to give it to Tua, for an efficient effort that included several key throws while under heavy pressure.  The coaches seem to be trying to undermine Tua, but he is making the most of what he’s been given to work with.

Tua is a hero period for the same reason Kyle Rittenhouse is a hero. Both are standing up to a system that's literally and completely rigged against them--and beating it anyway.  cheers  cheers  cheers

Goat of the Game: Once again, the OL.  I have run out of words to describe just how pathetic this group is.  Dishonorable mention to the offensive playcalling – just terrible, especially in the red zone.

CON. SPI. RA. CY.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Game thoughts: week 11 Dolphins at Jets Empty Re: Game thoughts: week 11 Dolphins at Jets

Post by CarsonChris Sun Nov 21, 2021 4:45 pm

These direct snaps make me think the coaches broke out their HS playbook and keep trying to make what worked for them 25 years ago as teenagers will work now.

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Sun Nov 21, 2021 4:48 pm

CarsonChris wrote:These direct snaps make me think the coaches broke out their HS playbook and keep trying to make what worked for them 25 years ago as teenagers will work now.

Spoiler alert: it didn't even work all that well THEN.

It literally cannot be more obvious that "they" don't want Tua to have any hand in any kind of any good thing the offense does.

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Sun Nov 21, 2021 4:53 pm

JMP wrote:The Dolphins did not allow a sack – but that is a testament to Tua’s escapability and not a measure of the OL’s success.

Fun fact: going into this game Brissett's sack percentage was 7.4, and Tua's was 4.5. And of course that's sure to get even lower after today.

Fun fact #2: Tua's sack percentage by itself going into this game would've been the 8th lowest in the league, just a hair below the LA Herberts...um, Chargers.

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Sun Nov 21, 2021 5:04 pm

BTW I am now convinced that if Grier had drafted Jonathan Taylor (Thomas) instead of Iggy, this team would've swept the Bills even with every other player staying the same.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Sun Nov 21, 2021 5:28 pm

DolFan 316 wrote:BTW I am now convinced that if Grier had drafted Jonathan Taylor (Thomas) instead of Iggy, this team would've swept the Bills even with every other player staying the same.

Don't get me started. He was my guy that draft!

CarsonChris

DolFan 316 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Sun Nov 21, 2021 5:32 pm

CarsonChris wrote:Don't get me started. He was my guy that draft!

I am SO tempted to check and see if that's actually true. Where's that live draft thread at? Razz

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:10 pm

Just wanted to share this little tidbit.

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/open-discussion/2021/week-11-open-discussion#comments

The Jets have now had THREE separate QBs come in and outplay their starting QB and ostensible future of the franchise... He's a rookie, but if he can't come back and outperform a nobody, a career backup, and an old Joe Flacco, it's a very bad sign.

Wasn't it Jmp who called Wilson being a bust? Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:19 pm

Yeah, I mean it is pretty clear that right now Wilson is the worst QB on that team.  Still, they need to get him on the field and see if he can develop.

I just thought Wilson had a very lackluster college career against weak competition, and he seems like a dick from what I've seen.  He has a big arm, but there's really nothing else impressive about him IMO.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:28 pm

Reminds me of when I called Rosen and Darnold as busts before the 2018 draft. It was just so obvious to me. When you know, you know.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:59 am

This really is an incredible play. Watch the OL completely collapse around Tua. He still manages to hang in there, go through his progressions and deliver a laser-guided missile to Gaskin for the TD. That is special. Great example of a QB bailing out a horrible OL.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:07 am

Is there a Dolphins fan working the video booth at MetLife Stadium??? scratch

Marcel Louis-Jacques
@Marcel_LJ
·
19h
Lol the videoboard at MetLife Stadium just replayed Flacco being hit by Jaelan Phillips, rewound it and played it again, then played it a third time from a wider angle

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:38 am

https://dolphinswire.usatoday.com/2021/11/21/jets-dl-john-franklin-myers-provides-tua-tagovailoa-with-some-bulletin-board-material-after-their-loss/

After the contest, Jets defensive lineman Jonathan Franklin-Myers had some harsh comments about Tua Tagovailoa’s play in the Dolphins’ Week 11 win.

According to The Athletic’s Connor Hughes, Franklin-Myers said that Tagovailoa was throwing up prayers, and “sometimes prayers are answered.”

Someone should tell Franklin-Myers that Tua just became the 6th consecutive QB to post a rating of over 107 against the Jets. That's a lot of prayers! Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:40 am

BTW - the best part of the game yesterday was hearing the "Let's Go Dolphins!" chant at MetLife in the closing minutes! Twisted Evil

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:25 am

To strike back at all the Tua talk when it's clear he is making the offense better with every start, how many sacks do you think DeShaun Watson takes yesterday?

I would say at least four. At least.

Tua has a great release and has the pocket presence to maneuver when blocking is collapsing all around him. Watson showed in Houston if you have a bad line, the defense will get to him before he can escape.
white1
white1

JMP and DolFan 316 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:32 am

white1 wrote:To strike back at all the Tua talk when it's clear he is making the offense better with every start, how many sacks do you think DeShaun Watson takes yesterday?

I would say at least four.  At least.

Tua has a great release and has the pocket presence to maneuver when blocking is collapsing all around him.  Watson showed in Houston if you have a bad line, the defense will get to him before he can escape.

Good point. I think Watson was sacked more than any other QB in the NFL from 2018-2020. As good as he is at putting up excellent stats on a losing team, that's a huge negative in Watson's game.

JMP
Admin

white1 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Mon Nov 22, 2021 5:13 pm

JMP wrote:Good point.  I think Watson was sacked more than any other QB in the NFL from 2018-2020.  As good as he is at putting up excellent stats on a losing team, that's a huge negative in Watson's game.

Just to be clear, I knew you were baiting me. Don't think I didn't know that.

(Spoiler alert: he was.)

https://stathead.com/football/psl_finder.cgi?request=1&match=combined&order_by_asc=0&order_by=pass_sacked&year_min=2018&year_max=2020&positions%5B%5D=qb&age_min=0&age_max=99&season_start=1&season_end=-1&undrafted=E&draft_year_min=1936&draft_year_max=2021&draft_type=B&draft_pick_in_round=pick_overall&conference=any

DolFan 316

JMP and white1 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:16 pm

Cool

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:25 am

This is the first time since 2016 that the Dolphins have won two AFC East road games in the same year. Miami won at New England in the opener this season.

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article255982067.html

i found this amazing...and an indication of just how pathetic this team has been as of late.

[quietly wondering if DF316 will tell us the last time the Phins won 3 (or dare i ask for 4) AFC east road games - yes, there used to be 5 teams in the AFC east.]

mercury22nathan

JMP and DolFan 316 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:33 am

mercury22nathan wrote:
This is the first time since 2016 that the Dolphins have won two AFC East road games in the same year. Miami won at New England in the opener this season.

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article255982067.html

Crazy!

i found this amazing...and an indication of just how pathetic this team has been as of late.

[quietly wondering if DF316 will tell us the last time the Phins won 3 (or dare i ask for 4) AFC east road games - yes, there used to be 5 teams in the AFC east.]

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:02 am

mercury22nathan wrote:

The two road wins in '16 were extremely significant because if one of those is a loss, the Fins miss the playoffs. Also, they were back to back and right after Tannehill was injured for the season (I still say it was a cheap shot, dammit). Also, that Bills win was the most yardage given up in a win in franchise history. Also, Tannehill is 0-5 as a starter in Buffalo so in a way him being injured made it possible.

Off the top of my head I thought for sure that last season with 3 division road wins was 2000...and then I remembered the '08 team and the (in)famous Wildcat Win at Foxboro (I refuse to add the pretentious "ugh" at the end) so without further research I'm saying that has to be it.

The last time they had 4 division road wins? Again, off the top of my head it's probably '84 since after that they'd lose to the Jets, Pats or Colts at least once per season and then the Bills got good. Their best shot at it after that was '92 when they did win in Barfalo early but lost to a 4-12 Jets team after coming into the game 6-1 Evil or Very Mad

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down