The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

OL: That old dreaded feeling is starting... Again!

+2
JMP
finfanatic
6 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

OL: That old dreaded feeling is starting... Again! - Page 2 Empty Re: OL: That old dreaded feeling is starting... Again!

Post by JMP Wed Aug 31, 2022 3:46 pm

finfanatic wrote:Nice comments boy all.

I hear the problem in trading Gesicki, besides who wanted a TE/WR, something to do with him signing the franchise tender offer. No team could negotiate a new long term contract with him until after this season?

Or some such rumored crapola.

There also did not seem to be a lot of interest from teams which I find hard to believe, but...???

In any event, the Oline cuts are in and the only one I can maybe raise an eyebrow about is OG Solomon Kindley. He looked like a killer on run blocking to me.

Grier mentioned that two teams called about Gesicki but the Phins never had any intention of trading him.

Marcel Louis-Jacques
@Marcel_LJ
Chris Grier said the Dolphins received calls from two teams about Mike Gesicki but Miami was not shopping him

Jeremy Fowler
@JFowlerESPN

[In response to the Marcel Tweet above] This was sense I got from teams. Miami was more so shopping Preston Williams/Lynn Bowden. Teams knew Gesicki not ideal fit in McDaniel offense and figured he was unhappy, so they talked to Grier about it

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

OL: That old dreaded feeling is starting... Again! - Page 2 Empty Re: OL: That old dreaded feeling is starting... Again!

Post by finfanatic Wed Aug 31, 2022 4:53 pm

True dat...

But I still think if they could have gotten a good, gooder, deal for him they would have moved him.

We shall see next season I guess.

Maybe he becomes a star in this McDaniel Offense and they have to keep him.
finfanatic
finfanatic

DolFan 316 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Aug 31, 2022 7:01 pm

finfanatic wrote:True dat...

But I still think if they could have gotten a good, gooder, deal for him they would have moved him.

We shall see next season I guess.

Maybe he becomes a star in this McDaniel Offense and they have to keep him.

I just don't see any way they would have traded Gesicki. There's just no reason for it. All of this "he's not a fit for McDaniel's offense" is pure hogwash. First, nobody know what "the McDaniel offense" is, because it hasn't existed yet! Sure, he's going to do similar things as the 49ers, Rams, Packers, etc. - but McDaniel has his own ideas and will run his own offense. For all we know, Gesicki could play a major role in what the coach wants to run. Second, if McDaniel is the real deal, I'm pretty sure he can figure out a way to utilize one of the top receiving TEs in the league!

Now, next season is a different story. They can franchise Gesicki again, but most likely they'll let him walk and collect the compensatory pick. He'll likely be too expensive to keep, especially if he does have a big season, because we have a lot of money committed elsewhere and will also have to pay Tua sooner rather than later if he becomes the QB I expect him to be. I'm sure the hope is that Tanner Connor can develop enough to replace Gesicki at a fraction of the cost.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Thu Sep 01, 2022 7:59 am

I'm sure the hope is that Tanner Connor can develop enough to replace Gesicki at a fraction of the cost.

I was thinking about this yesterday. The plan is probably for Connor-Long to replace Smythe-Gesicki. They will definitely be cheaper, hopefully they will develop to be just as good - or better.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Sep 01, 2022 8:55 am

white1 wrote:
I'm sure the hope is that Tanner Connor can develop enough to replace Gesicki at a fraction of the cost.

I was thinking about this yesterday.  The plan is probably for Connor-Long to replace Smythe-Gesicki.  They will definitely be cheaper, hopefully they will develop to be just as good - or better.

I looked into Tanner Connor a bit last night, and I think he may be more suited to an H-back role, assuming he can block. He was supposedly a good blocker in college, but at his size (6'3", 230) it's hard to see him ever being either a true TE or a direct replacement for Gesicki (who has 3 inches and 20 pounds on Connor). So the more I look, the less sure I am about where he fits - but I do know that McDaniel can figure out a way to utilize his speed.

I think I've said this before, but I think Smythe is going to play a key role in this offense as the "George Kittle lite". I am picturing him as a frequent target on 3rd downs and in the red zone.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Thu Sep 01, 2022 11:59 am

Well... whatever you think about Gesicki, he blocks like a WR!!

I am sure McDaniel can utilize his skills, but probably not in the way they utilize the other TEs.

Had Gesicki not been under a franchise tender contract I think the Phins WOULD have traded him and found some teams willing to trade for him. Just MHO on this.

Besides... trading a proven player for more picks so Grier can (probably) screw the much desecrated corpse of the screwed to death Draft pooch is a recipe for disaster IMO.

Shocked

Rolling Eyes

finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Sep 01, 2022 12:17 pm

I don't know...I think McDaniel wanted to keep Gesicki right from the start. The guy caught 73 passes in a clown-show offense. Just imagine what he can do in a legit high-powered offense. If you line Waddle and Hill up outside, that leaves Gesicki free to roam the middle of the field, usually with no more than a LB covering him. I think that's something McDaniel sees, and starts to drool over.

But that's what makes this offense so exciting...there are literally weapons everywhere, and they're all going to build off of each other. I can't wait to see how McDaniel utilizes all the pieces!

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Thu Sep 01, 2022 12:44 pm

I agree... we could be on the cusp of something very good.... if...If...IF.... Tua can get the deep pass working.

Like he did at Bama.

Where is that fingers crossed emoji....?

Very Happy
finfanatic
finfanatic

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Sep 01, 2022 1:49 pm

finfanatic wrote:I agree... we could be on the cusp of something very good.... if...If...IF.... Tua can get the deep pass working.

Like he did at Bama.

Where is that fingers crossed emoji....?

Very Happy

As usual, it will all come down to the OL - can they pass protect and can they run block? I am starting to feel more confident in this group, but we'll know a lot more after week 1!

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Thu Sep 01, 2022 6:21 pm

Gesicki is 3rd all-time in Fins history among TEs in both receptions and yards BTW. If he stays healthy and doesn't get completely phased out of the offense because Muh Blocking, he should easily surpass Bruce Hardy for 2nd in both categories--in less than half the seasons played.

https://stathead.com/football/player-season-finder.cgi?request=1&match=player_season_combined&order_by_asc=0&order_by=rec&year_min=1966&team_id=mia&positions%5B%5D=te&phase_type=reg&season_start=1&season_end=-1&weight_min=0&weight_max=500&draft_year_min=1936&draft_year_max=2022&draft_pick_in_round=pick_overall&conference=any&seasons_played_comp=gt&pro_bowls_comp=gt&all_pros_first_team_comp=gt

It still seems ridiculous to me that such a player could fall out of favor without an arrest or suspension involved, but I've resigned myself to it now and want at least a 3rd rounder in compensation. That's what the Fins will almost certainly get if they just let him walk after he season.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Sep 01, 2022 8:00 pm

DolFan 316 wrote:
It still seems ridiculous to me that such a player could fall out of favor without an arrest or suspension involved, but I've resigned myself to it now and want at least a 3rd rounder in compensation. That's what the Fins will almost certainly get if they just let him walk after he season.

Yeah, looking at Dolphins boards it seems like Gesicki gets almost as much hate as Tua. It's crazy. It's like no one ever heard of Darren Waller or Kyle Pitts...two receiving TEs that can't block much better (if at all) than Gesicki. I'm pretty sure Raiders and Falcons fans aren't crying because those guys don't/can't block.

Anyway, yeah, I agree - he'll price himself out of Miami and we'll get a 3rd. And probably spend the next decade looking for a receiving TE! jocolor

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Thu Sep 01, 2022 8:02 pm

JMP wrote:Anyway, yeah, I agree - he'll price himself out of Miami and we'll get a 3rd.  And probably spend the next decade looking for a receiving TE!  jocolor

Nah, my dude Tanner Connor's got that handled Cool Next starting TE I'm telling you! He is the ONLY reason I am not angry about Gesicki leaving.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:57 am

DolFan 316 wrote:
JMP wrote:Anyway, yeah, I agree - he'll price himself out of Miami and we'll get a 3rd.  And probably spend the next decade looking for a receiving TE!  jocolor

Nah, my dude Tanner Connor's got that handled Cool Next starting TE I'm telling you! He is the ONLY reason I am not angry about Gesicki leaving.

If he can put on a few more pounds and get stronger (which I'm sure he will) - you may be right! McDaniel obviously has plans for him.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2