The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Skylar Thompson #2

+4
JEGnj
white1
DolFan 316
CarsonChris
8 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Skylar Thompson #2 Empty Skylar Thompson #2

Post by CarsonChris Sat Aug 13, 2022 9:07 pm

I'm just going to start calling him the Torch. Skyler Torch Thompson is fire!

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Skylar Thompson #2 Empty Re: Skylar Thompson #2

Post by DolFan 316 Sat Aug 13, 2022 9:56 pm

He HAS to be elevated to 2nd string now. No need to keep dicking around.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Sun Aug 14, 2022 11:55 am

I have to agree. The game was simply an extension of his good work in practice, which sets him apart from last preseason heroes.

He may in fact be worth rostering and continue to develop.

Also, with Tua excellent performance retaining a veteran backup to play mentor is less important
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Sun Aug 14, 2022 12:09 pm

I've read the two most impressive throws in our training camp have been from The Torch.

Bridgewater will never be anything more than what he is. A backup. Time to deal Bridgewater to someone else.

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by JEGnj Sun Aug 14, 2022 8:51 pm

Was in Myrtle Beach and except email and Facebook I was off social media. Have to read up and watch the replay.
JEGnj
JEGnj

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:48 am

I didn't see the whole game yet, but I have done a lot of thinking about the backup QB situation.

I think, no matter what, Skylar has to be on the final roster. You don't give up on a cheap, young QB that has shown potential. He will NOT last on the practice squad.

That said, I'm keeping Bridgewater at #2. This is a season where I expect the Dolphins to make a legit run at the playoffs and maybe even the division. If anything happens to Tua, I want an experienced QB leading the team - not an untested rookie who is still wet behind the ears as they say. Bridgewater has 58 career regular season starts, and that level of experience will be invaluable if Tua gets hurt. It's also great to have an experienced vet to help Tua continue to develop.

Skylar is a great story - I just don't think he's ready to be the primary backup.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Mon Aug 15, 2022 3:14 pm

Bridgewater is an interception machine. Trade him to the Browns for a 7th rounder.

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:34 pm

CarsonChris wrote:Bridgewater is an interception machine. Trade him to the Browns for a 7th rounder.

Supply and demand. It's worth at least a 5th, maybe a 4th for the Browns to have a QB for the 6 games Watson is out. I agree with the trade to the Browns part BTW.

The precedent has been set already when the Seahawks threw big money at Matt Flynn only to have rookie Russell Wilson outplay him and be named the starter right away before Flynn was eventually traded. That was about a decade ago, trades happen much faster and more frequently now. Why should Bridgewater get a free pass for sucking because he's played longer than Tua or Skylar? Did we learn NOTHING from the Jacoby Brissett disaster last season? Evil or Very Mad

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:12 pm

DolFan 316 wrote:
CarsonChris wrote:Bridgewater is an interception machine. Trade him to the Browns for a 7th rounder.

Supply and demand. It's worth at least a 5th, maybe a 4th for the Browns to have a QB for the 6 games Watson is out. I agree with the trade to the Browns part BTW.

The precedent has been set already when the Seahawks threw big money at Matt Flynn only to have rookie Russell Wilson outplay him and be named the starter right away before Flynn was eventually traded. That was about a decade ago, trades happen much faster and more frequently now. Why should Bridgewater get a free pass for sucking because he's played longer than Tua or Skylar? Did we learn NOTHING from the Jacoby Brissett disaster last season? Evil or Very Mad

Well, picture this: Tua plays all 17 games in the regular season, the Dolphins win the division and are primed for a big run. BUT - Tua gets hurt on the opening drive of the first playoff game, ending his postseason. Who do you want coming off the bench and trying to lead the team to a ring: a 9-year vet that has started almost 60 games, or a kid that has never thrown an NFL pass?

Sure, this is an unlikely scenario...but the point is, Bridgewater has had success in this league, and Skyler hasn't done anything. We finally have a playoff-caliber team...let's not risk blowing it by being cheap at the backup QB spot.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:26 am

I'll take the kid that's trying to become an NFL starter vs the guy that's gifted a job. Bridgewater is washed up.

CarsonChris

DolFan 316 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:51 am

CarsonChris wrote:I'll take the kid that's trying to become an NFL starter vs the guy that's gifted a job. Bridgewater is washed up.

How was Bridgewater gifted a job? He's exactly what he was brought in to be - a veteran presence in a young QB room, who can step in and hold down the fort when needed.

I like Skylar a lot and think he has a decently-high ceiling. But he really wasn't all that impressive against the Bucs. He was a game manager at best. A couple of nice passes, a couple of missed passes...overall, a good effort for his first semi-real NFL action, but nothing to indicate that he is ready to lead a team if needed. He definitely has tools to develop, and I think he could be a strong #2 in time, maybe an eventual starter...but he's not there yet.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:56 pm

It's tough decision, but if it comes down to losing Skylar or keeping Bridgewater, I say bye bye Bridgewater.

I agree, if they try to put ST on the practice squad, he be gone!

I would be A-OKAY with ST as the #2.

This is the best looking drafted QB since Scott Mitchell IMO.

And that was with a plethora of suckwad OLinemen too. And the Phins normal no running game to speak of.
finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Aug 16, 2022 3:15 pm

Honestly, I don't see how anyone could watch that game against the Bucs and walk away feeling confident with Skylar as the #2. To me, he looked like a developmental player. Again, some good things - but too much bad, and he showed that he needs more time.

I absolutely do think he's worth developing, and I'm all in with him as the #3 on the final roster. But #2? I need to see A LOT more before I go there.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Tue Aug 16, 2022 3:57 pm

7 INT's in 426 attempts last year when the games counted, I'll take that.

Bridgewater is already one of the league's best backups. Thompson might become that, but he isn't yet.

I'd keep all three on the active roster myself.

HalCHorn

JMP and DolFan 316 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Tue Aug 16, 2022 4:07 pm

If you’re going to invest roster spots then QB is the position to do it. It’s too important.

I vote we keep all three.
white1
white1

JMP and DolFan 316 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:19 pm

finfanatic wrote:It's tough decision, but if it comes down to losing Skylar or keeping Bridgewater, I say bye bye Bridgewater.

I agree, if they try to put ST on the practice squad, he be gone!

I would be A-OKAY with ST as the #2.

This is the best looking drafted QB since Scott Mitchell IMO.

And that was with a plethora of suckwad OLinemen too. And the Phins normal no running game to speak of.

FF being on my side in this was...unexpected. In a pleasant surprise kinda way Very Happy cheers I needed some good news in this otherwise cold, cruel world...

However, I SUPPOSE they could let Bridgewater stay. As a bridge QB.  

Thank you, I'll be here all week! (Dodges flying tomatoes.)

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:52 am

DolFan 316 wrote:

However, I SUPPOSE they could let Bridgewater stay. As a bridge QB.  

That was pretty punny! Laughing Laughing

Jokes aside, I think that's the way to look at it - Teddy is the bridge to Skylar becoming the #2 next season. I do think it's important to have a veteran QB in the room that can help these young players understand how to prepare, what to expect, how to read defenses, etc. Sure, coaches can help with that - but having a peer that's been there and done that, that you can ask questions to at a different level than you can with a coach, can be invaluable. And, as much as people want to discredit Teddy, he has a winning career record and has thrown almost twice as many TDs as INTs - so he has had some amount of success in this league.

Anyway, I say keep 'em both - this year.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:23 pm

Any man who won an award named after The Legend himself in back to back years is a worthy addition to any roster. Bowden won it once too!

https://www.louisvillesports.org/howard-schnellenberger-award/

HalCHorn

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Wed Aug 17, 2022 3:32 pm

The way practices are going this week Skyler The Torch Thompson #1, Turnover Tua #2, Bridgewater still gets dumped!

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Aug 17, 2022 4:11 pm

CarsonChris wrote:The way practices are going this week Skyler The Torch Thompson #1, Turnover Tua #2, Bridgewater still gets dumped!

Well, Bridgewater supposedly looked great today, and Tua kicked ass in red zone work two days in a row.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JEGnj Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:11 pm

I liked Bridgewater in college against Rutgers. In the NFL if you are a great #2 it means you aren't a good #1. See Ya.
JEGnj
JEGnj

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:24 pm

JEGnj wrote:In the NFL if you are a great #2 it means you aren't a good #1.

The problem is, in the NFL there aren't a lot of good QBs - period. The majority of NFL starting QBs fall on the mediocre side of the spectrum, and I'm not sure there are more than a handful of really good #2 QBs. So if you have a great #2, you're way ahead of the game, and unless there's a really strong reason to dump him you should hold onto him IMO.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Sat Aug 20, 2022 11:24 pm

Thompson was the best QB on the Dolphins tonight.

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Sun Aug 21, 2022 2:22 am

Skylar Thompson is the hero humanity needs right now but doesn't deserve.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Sun Aug 21, 2022 9:17 am

152.1 passer rating. That sideline throw to Ezukanma was phenomenal!

CarsonChris

DolFan 316 and white1 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next