The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Skylar Thompson #2

+4
JEGnj
white1
DolFan 316
CarsonChris
8 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Skylar Thompson #2 - Page 3 Empty Re: Skylar Thompson #2

Post by JMP Mon Sep 12, 2022 9:46 am

DolFan 316 wrote:Dak done banged up his hand, perfect opportunity for Bridgewater to be traded. Just sayin'.

The temperature at the Dolphins game was 100 degrees on the field. At one point, the camera showed Teddy sitting on the bench wearing a winter hat. I know that it's considered "fashionable" to wear winter hats all year long these days, but I'd dump him just for that! Laughing Laughing Laughing

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

DolFan 316 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Mon Sep 12, 2022 9:57 am

Btw, I read a detailed analysis on Skylar Thompson on my fantasy site (footballguys.com).  

In any case, based on his film work from both college and the preseason, he believes the league was caught snoozing on Thompson.

He makes a convincing argument that Thompson is the real deal, not just a typical "preseason hero"....

Editing to include link and a couple quotes: https://www.footballguys.com/article/2022-the-gutcheck-573-the-all-gutcheck-ww-sleeper-team

Players with low draft capital earn far fewer reps in meaningful practice moments and it reinforces an existing confirmation bias based on dollar amounts invested into players. A player with strong draft capital can make multiple mistakes during a series of reps and the decision makers will provide patient rationalizations ("he'll figure it out in time") compared to a player with weaker draft capital making one similar mistake out of far fewer reps ("see, we knew he wasn't that good.").

He continues to say this about Thompson:

This is the hill Skylar Thompson had to climb this offseason to force the Dolphins to keep him on its depth chart. Thompson was a top recruit at his position but he played in a Kansas State offense that wasn't a high-octane passing game if judging by the number of attempts. Thompson played in the same run-heavy, play-action variant of the West Coast Offense as Trey Lance.

Here's where he is talking about the chances of him getting live playing time this season:

Don't expect Thompson to leapfrog Teddy Bridgewater on the depth chart if the Dolphins are a competitive team and Tua Tagovailoa suffers an injury or falters. If Miami is out of contention, that's a different matter and it will be a perfect time for them to evaluate Thompson in a similar manner the Texans evaluated Davis Mills last year, or the Bengals checked out Ryan Finley a few years earlier.

I'm a believer in Thompson's talent. He was the RSP's No.1 pre-draft quarterback and his grade was significantly higher than his peers. Even so, I cautioned subscribers to understand the weight of draft capital.
white1
white1

JMP and DolFan 316 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Sep 12, 2022 10:18 am

Thanks for posting, white. Cool article.

It's refreshing to think that we FINALLY have a developmental QB on the roster that just might turn into something. I think Scott Mitchell is that last time we had a legit developmental QB! Shocked

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

DolFan 316 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Mon Sep 12, 2022 12:33 pm

I kinda - sorta agree with JMP on this: I do not know if Thompson is ready to start if Tua goes down.

If the Phins are out of playoff contention, then I am all for it. Throw him in the deep end and let him get some real game time experience.

But if the Phins playoff chances are on the line, Bridgewater can at least manage the game like Tua did in the Pats game. The Phins would have to rely on the defense to win the game, but they are doing that now with Tua, so...

I do think Thompson's upside is better than any backup QB the Phins have had since Scott Mitchell!
finfanatic
finfanatic

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3