The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

No 5th year for Jackson and Iggy

+3
JMP
DolFan 316
mercury22nathan
7 posters

Go down

No 5th year for Jackson and Iggy Empty No 5th year for Jackson and Iggy

Post by mercury22nathan Wed May 03, 2023 7:48 am

Miami is declining the fifth-year option for offensive tackle Austin Jackson and cornerback Noah Igbinoghene

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nfl/miami-dolphins/article274925186.html

the Phins wisely declined both.

mercury22nathan

JMP and DolFan 316 like this post

Back to top Go down

No 5th year for Jackson and Iggy Empty Re: No 5th year for Jackson and Iggy

Post by DolFan 316 Wed May 03, 2023 7:57 am

I wish those two bumblers, busts and bums weren't getting a FOURTH year...

2020 first round had a record number of declined 5th year options BTW.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed May 03, 2023 9:10 am

I think Jackson is going to surprise. He looked real good in preseason last year. I keyed on him specifically and really liked what I saw. If he stays healthy, I think he's going to be the solution at RT. But of course - he could just as easily get injured again or just completely bust. He is the definition of "question mark", and that's why I really want the Phins to sign Cam Fleming.

That said, declining the 5th year option was a no brainer. There was absolutely no reason to do it.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Wed May 03, 2023 9:28 am

Disappointing that we missed on at least one of them.

I agree with JMP and hoping for the best with Jackson.
white1
white1

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed May 03, 2023 10:12 am

I'm hoping we can trade Iggy for a 6th or 7th just to get something for him, but that seems unlikely. He'll probably just get cut at some point.

JMP
Admin

white1 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Wed May 03, 2023 10:40 am

Iggy needs to be cut. And then released from the team. (Rim shot.)

But hey, we'll always have...Pittsburgh.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed May 03, 2023 10:52 am

DolFan 316 wrote:Iggy needs to be cut. And then released from the team. (Rim shot.)

But hey, we'll always have...Pittsburgh.

That INT against Pittsburgh sealed the victory. If the Dolphins lose that game, they don't make the playoffs and the Steelers do. That was a massively huge impactful play by Iggy. So, he may be a bust, but he's a bust* with an asterisk for me, just to note the one big game-saving play he did make. And I was in the stands when it happened! Cool

JMP
Admin

DolFan 316 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Wed May 03, 2023 11:43 am

DolFan 316 wrote:2020 first round had a record number of declined 5th year options BTW.

right you are.

That same 2020 pandemic class that leaned so heavily on game tape has set a benchmark for first-round futility with a record-setting 20 players failing to have their fifth-year options picked up by their NFL teams. That means that after three seasons of on-field performance, 62.5% of the 2020 first round failed to have their rookie contracts automatically extended with one additional (and lucrative) fully guaranteed year of pay.

https://sports.yahoo.com/a-blunt-nfl-draft-barometer-suggests-the-first-round-of-the-2020-pandemic-class-was-historically-bad-063320304.html

a rate of refusal much hirer than all previous years. the blame is being placed on scouts inability to get close to the prospects at the combine, pro days and personal workouts (covid restrictions) and having to rely solely on game tape. so without all that extra, the scouts really are no better than the rest of us at projecting players' NFL abilities.

so i wonder, if there had been no pandemic restrictions, would've Grier have seen something that would've made him not draft Iggy?

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed May 03, 2023 12:04 pm

mercury22nathan wrote:
so i wonder, if there had been no pandemic restrictions, would've Grier have seen something that would've made him not draft Iggy?

I guess we'll never know for sure, but Iggy seemed like a Flores pick. Too bad we didn't draft a WR in round one to pair with Tua - Tee Higgins and Michael Pittman both went shortly after Iggy.

Interestingly, other than Trevon Diggs, in hindsight that was a really, really weak draft for corners. It was a terrible draft for OT also, other than Andrew Thomas and Tristan Wirfs.

JMP
Admin

DolFan 316 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Wed May 03, 2023 2:04 pm

I heard Jim Miller and Pat Kirwan the other day going through the list of 1st rounders and they also were predicting a bunch not getting the 5th year option.

The draft is a crapshoot anyway, more art than science, and then when you add in the quirks in the person making the decision, such as as Grier's views about the current Phins Oline, you end up with some strange picks.

Of course, nobody REALLy knows how a draft pick is going to turn out until they actually play or in Iggy's case, get beat out by lower round draft picks or undrafted free agents even!

At least with Jackson, the Phins are getting some utility out of him. If he can stay healthy, maybe the RT spot is not a problem. I am not as sanguine about Jackson being the "answer" there though as is JMP.

It would be very nice to see the Phins go injury free at both OT spots and most especially at QB this year. T'aint likely, but it would be very nice to see.

SIGH

finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed May 03, 2023 2:27 pm

finfanatic wrote:

At least with Jackson, the Phins are getting some utility out of him. If he can stay healthy, maybe the RT spot is not a problem. I am not as sanguine about Jackson being the "answer" there though as is JMP.

Nice use of "sanguine"! I wouldn't say I'm very optimistic that A-Jax will be the answer, but I do *think* he can be - based solely on what I saw in preseason. If he can return to that form and stay healthy, that would be awesome. But like I said - huge question mark till proven otherwise. That's why we need a capable vet to come in and challenge Jackson - and at worst be able to step in if he fails or gets hurt. Fleming and Wynn top my wantlist, but there will be other linemen getting cut around the league very soon.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Wed May 03, 2023 7:11 pm

JMP wrote:
mercury22nathan wrote:

I guess we'll never know for sure, but Iggy seemed like a Flores pick.  Too bad we didn't draft a WR in round one to pair with Tua - Tee Higgins and Michael Pittman both went shortly after Iggy.

Interestingly, other than Trevon Diggs, in hindsight that was a really, really weak draft for corners.  It was a terrible draft for OT also, other than Andrew Thomas and Tristan Wirfs.

I said watching it live Flores intimidated Grier into picking Iggy, and I have never wavered from that. I'm telling you, right before that pick he gave Grier a glare, and Flores is a mean looking dude anyway as it is! affraid He's got the male equivalent of what used to be called Resting Bitch Face. (Yes, that is a thing, google it.) BTW I am also on record as wanting Jeremy Chinn the whole time. And what do you know, Grier went with Holland the very next draft--taking him nearly 30 picks higher than Chinn went.

And yes, the pickings at OT when Jackson was available were slim indeed. If only Grier had traded up for Wirfs the way he would do so for Eich the very next year. Five freaking spots, man. (Sighs).

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by finskev Thu May 04, 2023 9:15 am

So JMP we need You to go to more Fins Game so IGGY can make more Big Plays.

finskev

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu May 04, 2023 9:19 am

finskev wrote:So JMP we need You to go to more Fins Game so IGGY can make more Big Plays.

Very Happy I wish I could!

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Wed May 10, 2023 7:34 am

an article about players who didn't get their 5th year option, but can still reclaim their career.

https://sports.yahoo.com/in-a-record-class-of-5th-year-options-declined-by-nfl-teams-another-daniel-jones-payday-is-lurking-151240947.html

spoiler. Iggy and Jackson are not mentioned.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Wed May 10, 2023 10:57 am

Iggy better step it up if he wants to have Jamar Fletcher's career. AV of 4 after 3 years, Fletcher's career was at 11. But he has already tied Fletcher's best season by hitting AV of 2 his rookie year, so there's that. :-)

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down