The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Austin Jackson signs 3-year extension!

+2
DolFan 316
JMP
6 posters

Go down

Austin Jackson signs 3-year extension! Empty Austin Jackson signs 3-year extension!

Post by JMP Thu Dec 07, 2023 8:54 am

FANTASTIC NEWS! Great job by Grier and his staff to get this done, and on the surface it seems like a team-friendly deal.

cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

DolFan 316 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Austin Jackson signs 3-year extension! Empty Re: Austin Jackson signs 3-year extension!

Post by DolFan 316 Thu Dec 07, 2023 9:12 am

The question is, does this mean no OT in the draft? It definitely means no OT with the first pick. But Armstead still exists, so...

Funny thing is, I literally just did a mock at PFN where I went OT with the first pick thinking it was such a huge need so now I have to change my whole strategy! Laughing

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Austin Jackson signs 3-year extension! Empty Re: Austin Jackson signs 3-year extension!

Post by finskev Thu Dec 07, 2023 9:28 am

Nice Deal, Great Job by Grier.

finskev

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Thu Dec 07, 2023 10:01 am

Yes!   This is a very good deal for Miami.

The sportrac comparisons were all paid more per year it looks like?

Austin Jackson Comparisons

Austin Jackson signs 3-year extension! Screen25

The Phins locked up Jackson for 13 per year!

A very nice job.

Now lock up Van Ginkel and then Wilkins, and then...

Wink
finfanatic
finfanatic

JMP and DolFan 316 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Thu Dec 07, 2023 10:50 am

based on Jackson's current play, this is an excellent value. this places him somewhere around #30 on the OT pay list and like #11 for RT.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/average/tackle/

considering he is Tua's defacto blindside protector, i am actually surprised by the relatively low value of the signing. i suspect he really appreciated the faith Miami showed in him when they drafted and stuck with him despite his relatively (extended) weakened state after donating bone marrow to save his sister and maybe took an exceedingly team friendly deal. i am certain he could get at least another $4-5M per year on the open FA market. there are guys making far more than he is not playing nearly as well.

now we just hope he stays healthy and continues to play well (or even better) - but you could say that exact same things about any player who just signed a contract.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Thu Dec 07, 2023 11:38 am

Excellent deal. He's earned it this year.

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Dec 08, 2023 10:42 am

So Flores tried to ruin Jackson, too. See the lines below that I bolded.  Those are tactics that are used to try to control people.  It's disgusting.

McDaniel deserves even more praise for having to literally rebuild players' perceptions of themselves after Flores constantly tore them down.

Tua noted that the media, and yes, the previous coaching staff, was very harsh toward Austin (and Tua, too).

"I just smile because of where he’s come from early when we got here together," Tua said of Jackson. "There’s a lot of things that have been said about him in front of team meetings, in the media and things like that. So, I’m just happy. I don’t want to get choked up about it. What he’s done is tremendous. What he’s done is tremendous. I’m very proud of him. Very happy.”

Jackson was a first-round pick in 2020, the same year Tua was a first-round pick.

Both players were criticized by the coaching staff led by Brian Flores.

"Yeah, not this year," Tua said. "Past years. It’s awesome. Truly remarkable to sit in those meetings and have things told about you that you know aren’t true but get planted in your head. And you have the media on you as well. Then you have someone like Mike (McDaniel) and his coaching staff come in and basically just build you back up."

Jackson said he appreciates that McDaniel gave him a fair evaluation with fresh eyes.

"He definitely took the time to really see who I was," Jackson said.

What was it like to get beat up a bit, by both outsiders and insiders?

"I had high expectations every time I didn't perform, it was noted and highlighted," Jackson said. "And it was very much so highlighted to say the least. But that just made me a better football player at the end of the day. I'm very tough. I understand this is football and there's certain things that are done in football. Only thing you can do is is not take it too personal."

Like Tua, though, Jackson has clearly benefited from the positive vibes and emotional support that McDaniel and his staff believe in.

"I've matured a lot. I've been through a lot," Jackson said. "I think that I was already mature coming in, but there's a lot of stuff going on. And it's a very fast pace. Nobody's really stopping to catch you up with things you should kind of know already."

https://www.palmbeachpost.com/story/sports/nfl/2023/12/07/austin-jacksons-contract-thrills-tua-tagovailoa-with-whom-he-has-a-kinship/71839718007/

Last edited by JMP on Fri Dec 08, 2023 11:18 am; edited 1 time in total

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Fri Dec 08, 2023 10:50 am

wow. its one thing for the fans and media to get down on players, but how does tearing them down without giving them the tools to improve help the team in the long run? there is a difference between being "old school" tough and just being an asshole. i'm glad Flores is now far away from this team.

mercury22nathan

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Fri Dec 08, 2023 11:14 am

Great read. Obviously Jackson was willing to re-up to continue working with this coaching staff, and of course the lack of state income tax is a bit of a bonus there too. Hopefully he isn't alone in that. He's still improving too!

Between Belichick's own slide and the fact that Flores is actually the most successful NFL head coach to date from the "Patriot Way"(!), it's easy to see that this particular coaching change was a great move and clearly the right one.

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Fri Dec 08, 2023 12:52 pm

I can tell you from personal experience in my youth that yes, if enough people keep telling you 24/7 in no uncertain terms that you're worthless, inadequate, deficient, defective, etc. and always will be that you will start to believe it. Once you believe it then you lose all confidence and once that happens it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. I will say that NONE of my family was doing this, it was pretty much everyone else except for one friend who I'm still close to 35 years later.  

Fortunately I was able to escape from this environment but it wasn't until just before I started posting with some of you guys and even then the scars lingered. Things didn't improve until I was no longer forced by society to interact with people who hated me on a daily basis and for the last 25 years I've been able to pick and choose who I interact and associate with (for the most part). Strange how that works scratch

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Fri Dec 08, 2023 2:25 pm

while this thread is about Jackson and his well-deserved contract, this bit about Flores came out in last night's pregame.

During Prime Video’s “Thursday Night Football” pregame show, former Dolphin Ryan Fitzpatrick made scathing remarks about former Miami coach Brian Flores and his relationship with quarterback Tua Tagovailoa.

...saying that the 2020 first-round pick was “broken from Brian Flores, the way that he treated him. The way that he coached him. And what happens? Mike McDaniel comes in, he restores his confidence, he gets it back and now he’s an MVP candidate.”

https://www.yahoo.com/news/former-dolphin-ryan-fitzpatrick-tua-174918502.html

Ryan Fitzpatrick confirming what we all knew… Brian Flores tried to break Tua Tagovailoa. If it were up to Flores, Tua would have not be playing in the NFL right now.

https://x.com/ian693/status/1733094353919197270?s=20

no Mr. Flores, the whole world is not racist against you - its just that you're a grade A asshole!!

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Fri Dec 08, 2023 2:26 pm

oh, and thank you Ryan Fitzpatrick for being honest.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Fri Dec 08, 2023 2:52 pm

and of course all the worry up there in Minnesota is if Flores will leave for a HC job.

Flores' name popping up in the rumor mill as a possible head coaching candidate when jobs open up after the season.

“Matt, I understand the question, I really do. My message to our guys yesterday was we’ve got 35 guaranteed days. That’s all we got that’s guaranteed. I asked them to put everything into these 35 days,” Flores said. “I can’t give that message and not heed that message. My focus is on these guys, this team, these next five games because that’s all we really have. I understand the question, but that’s where my focus is.

"All the other stuff, I ask them to block it out and I'm blocking it out myself because I think you gotta lead by example and I'm certainly going to do that. I know that that's out there, I'm not blind to any of that. But, I'm really focused on the task at hand.

https://www.si.com/fannation/bringmethesports/vikings/leading-by-example-vikings-brian-flores-blocks-out-rumors

but now that Fitz put it out there to a national audience (well, Prime), i wonder if any of those Minnesota reporters will have the balls to ask him about his HC possibilities in light of the fact he tried to ruin Tua?

Flores - HC candidate, my ass.

mercury22nathan

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Dec 08, 2023 3:14 pm

Any team that hires Flores as a head coach deserves exactly what they'll get.

JMP
Admin

DolFan 316 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Sat Dec 09, 2023 9:01 am

Toxic Team Killer = Flores.

You have been warned.

Part of the Toxic is the fact that he is a vindictive, petulant, arrogant arsehole.

He didn't get hired by the Giants and started lawsuits, because obviously, he is a better HC than anyone else? Rolling Eyes

Any owner blindingly stupid enough to hire Flores for a HC deserves what they are going to get IMO.
finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down