The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BREAKING NEWS: Tua gets a new 4-year contract

+4
Umix10
finfanatic
61finfan
JMP
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

BREAKING NEWS: Tua gets a new 4-year contract Empty BREAKING NEWS: Tua gets a new 4-year contract

Post by JMP Fri Jul 26, 2024 3:12 pm

Highest per-year average on a 4-year contract in NFL history.  $53.1 million per year.

Last edited by JMP on Fri Jul 26, 2024 3:24 pm; edited 1 time in total

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

BREAKING NEWS: Tua gets a new 4-year contract Empty Re: BREAKING NEWS: Tua gets a new 4-year contract

Post by JMP Fri Jul 26, 2024 3:13 pm

Waiting to see the amount of guaranteed money and the per-year breakdown/cap hits.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

BREAKING NEWS: Tua gets a new 4-year contract Empty Re: BREAKING NEWS: Tua gets a new 4-year contract

Post by JMP Fri Jul 26, 2024 3:20 pm

Hearing it's $167 million guaranteed.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 61finfan Fri Jul 26, 2024 3:48 pm

Now, lets play football. Guess thats why he was practicing today

61finfan

JMP and DolFan 316 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Jul 26, 2024 3:59 pm

61finfan wrote:Now, lets play football.

Well said! cheers

JMP
Admin

DolFan 316 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Fri Jul 26, 2024 5:07 pm

JMP wrote:
61finfan wrote:Now, lets play football.

Well said!  cheers

Dang straight.

Glad to see it.

And thanks to JMP for keeping the Phaith on this.

Its always good to have someone on the board who can see the positive side. Even though the Phins continually break our hearts.

IMO, it should not have taken this long, but apparently, as JMP pointed out, that's just how long these things take for some teams.

Tua, now go out and show everyone you ARE worth it!!!
finfanatic
finfanatic

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Umix10 Fri Jul 26, 2024 5:11 pm

I knew he signed once he went to practice and participated in everyting. He 'WOULD' not have gone out there without a contract.
Umix10
Umix10

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Fri Jul 26, 2024 5:19 pm

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Jul 26, 2024 6:32 pm

Laughing Laughing Very Happy Very Happy

Hilarious!!!

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Jul 26, 2024 6:35 pm

finfanatic wrote:that's just how long these things take for some teams.

With this being just a 4-year deal instead of 5, I'm thinking the 5th year and/or total guaranteed money were the sticking points. Of course, we haven't seen how the deal is structured yet, so there could be more to it.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Fri Jul 26, 2024 8:23 pm

Great news.

The hold in worked. One day of training camp with Mike White at the helm and the Phins backed the Brinks truck. LOL

Now let ‘em get to work.

mercury22nathan

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Sat Jul 27, 2024 6:49 am

And then before yesterday even ended Jordan Love got paid even more. SMH.

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2024/07/packers-qb-jordan-love-agree-on-extension

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sat Jul 27, 2024 8:39 am

DolFan 316 wrote:And then before yesterday even ended Jordan Love got paid even more. SMH.

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2024/07/packers-qb-jordan-love-agree-on-extension

I think Tua got more guaranteed money? But it's absurd that we live in a world where Jordan Love is tied for the highest per year contract in NFL history. It's really gotten out of hand.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Sat Jul 27, 2024 9:08 am

JMP wrote:I think Tua got more guaranteed money? But it's absurd that we live in a world where Jordan Love is tied for the highest per year contract in NFL history.  It's really gotten out of hand.

Oh NOW you think it's out of control Razz Laughing

But seriously, the NFL better hope and pray there doesn't just "happen" to be another plandemic (not a typo) between now and November for...reasons that prevents anyone from attending the games. Another cap drop at this point would be catastrophic for half the league's teams. Someone on Youtube pointed out something even I hadn't thought of: the NFL is likely to shift all games to streaming only, but have them on multiple "services" so nobody knows which one will have their team's game any given week and they'll ultimately have to pay for them all. They've got to cover the insane cost of QBs somehow.

Not to mention simple math and common sense alone will tell you that most of these $50 plus mil a year QBs won't even get as far as their conference title games in any given season. All these hypocrite fans who screamed for them to "get paid" (as if that improved THEIR lives at all) will be doing a 180 and yammering about how most of these guys are overrated bums who were never worth the money.

Then there's the fact that having one man taking up 25% of a 53-man payroll will obviously leave far less money for everybody else. But I'm sure that won't lead to massive player discontent, right? Wink

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Sat Jul 27, 2024 9:31 am

I just love the Chiefs fan yawning. That encapsulates the NFL right now.

I am thinking the NFL is going to step in and do something about QB contracts. They have to. No way they can continue on this upward path. Pretty soon the avg salary is going to be 60 or more mill per!!!

The owners are rejecting it but the solution would be to assign position groups a maximum percentage of the salary cap. Anything over that would have to be incentive based. It will require a new CBA but...

Tua ain't worth that much, but... It is what you have to pay for a QB when he could leave and go get paid by another team.

Just ask the Cowboys.

The Phins are gonna be cap strapped next season too I think?

(sigh)
finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Sat Jul 27, 2024 9:35 am

finfanatic wrote:I just love the Chiefs fan yawning.  That encapsulates the NFL right now.

I am thinking the NFL is going to step in and do something about QB contracts. They have to. No way they can continue on this upward path. Pretty soon the avg salary is going to be 60 or more mill per!!!

I have been told that the owners are seriously considering a separate salary cap for QBs. Not sure how serious this is or if it's even got legs at all, just what I've been told. Owners are apparently quite alarmed at this sudden QB market surge.

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sat Jul 27, 2024 10:11 am

DolFan 316 wrote:
JMP wrote:I think Tua got more guaranteed money? But it's absurd that we live in a world where Jordan Love is tied for the highest per year contract in NFL history.  It's really gotten out of hand.

Oh NOW you think it's out of control Razz Laughing

But seriously, the NFL better hope and pray there doesn't just "happen" to be another plandemic (not a typo) between now and November for...reasons that prevents anyone from attending the games. Another cap drop at this point would be catastrophic for half the league's teams. Someone on Youtube pointed out something even I hadn't thought of: the NFL is likely to shift all games to streaming only, but have them on multiple "services" so nobody knows which one will have their team's game any given week and they'll ultimately have to pay for them all. They've got to cover the insane cost of QBs somehow.

Not to mention simple math and common sense alone will tell you that most of these $50 plus mil a year QBs won't even get as far as their conference title games in any given season. All these hypocrite fans who screamed for them to "get paid" (as if that improved THEIR lives at all) will be doing a 180 and yammering about how most of these guys are overrated bums who were never worth the money.

Then there's the fact that having one man taking up 25% of a 53-man payroll will obviously leave far less money for everybody else. But I'm sure that won't lead to massive player discontent, right? Wink

There's so many angles to this. The league/teams/owners make an ungodly of money, so I don't begrudge any player getting as much $ as they can - really, the player salaries are a drop in the bucket in the overall scheme of things. But, at the same time, how can you justify QBs like Love and Lawrence making more money than Mahomes? Or giving a guard like Hunt a $100 million contract? It's just absurd, and it gets worse every time a new contract is handed out. So, I don't know the answer...but with a salary cap in place - and a salary cap that can in theory change dramatically one way or the other year to year - it's harder and harder to build a team that can compete for the long haul. Eventually, something's gotta give.

JMP
Admin

DolFan 316 and 61finfan like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JEGnj Sat Jul 27, 2024 1:17 pm

Crazy but that's the new NFL.
JEGnj
JEGnj

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Mon Jul 29, 2024 8:41 am

DolFan 316 wrote:All these hypocrite fans who screamed for them to "get paid" (as if that improved THEIR lives at all) will be doing a 180 and yammering about how most of these guys are overrated bums who were never worth the money.

if i later come back and say paying Tua was a mistake, you have every right to remind me that i was one of those fans advocating for Tua to get paid...although you don't need my permission - you gonna do it anyways. Very Happy Very Happy

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Mon Jul 29, 2024 8:52 am

the QB position has become so important to winning in the modern NFL, that teams are desperate to pay any half-way decent QB gobs of money just to have a chance. without a QB, teams realize they have no shot at success. the salaries will continue to get more and more astronomical unless and until a coach shows he can consistently win at a high level with defense, a running game and a replaceable system QB. and then the rest of the copycat league will poach his coaching staff hoping to replicate the success. but honestly, i don't think it'll happen anytime soon.

the two most likely candidates are Jim Harbaugh - once he gets tired of only coming just so close with the overpaid Herbert and move on (but that is several years away). and Shanahan if decides not to pay Purdy and pulls another unheralded QB out of the hat. and the league is already full of his protégés, including Miami.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Mon Jul 29, 2024 8:56 am

so now that details of the process are coming out. just what was the hold up? why were other teams able to get their guys under contract while Miami seemed to languish.

apparently, it was Steven Ross who wasn't (and still might not be) sold on Tua.

“I’ve been told he went to bat for me the day that I went out and practiced. He went to bat for me with our owner. I won’t go into details about what is said,” Tagovailoa said, acknowledging that hours before his contract was agreed to on Friday evening head coach Mike McDaniel advocated for him with owner Steve Ross. “He did what I was thinking he’d do for me, and not just for me but other players.”

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nfl/miami-dolphins/article290492559.html

i'd imagine after seeing how awful his backups look, McDaniel went to Ross to convince him to open the check book. but it does make me wonder, if the head coach had to talk to Ross to get the deal done, just what was Grier doing in all of this?

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Mon Jul 29, 2024 12:10 pm

mercury22nathan wrote:i'd imagine after seeing how awful his backups look, McDaniel went to Ross to convince him to open the check book.  but it does make me wonder, if the head coach had to talk to Ross to get the deal done, just what was Grier doing in all of this?

Being his usual incompetent self just to personally spite me, as usual Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

On the other hand, could this be a sign that the team will play hard for McDaniel beyond November maybe possibly hopefully? If I were him, I'd milk this for all it's worth! Every day I'd be reminding the entire locker room that I was the one who fought for Tua to play. I'd even start embellishing and playing it up, slipping in that I risked being fired for doing this but didn't care because hey, you guys are just that important to me. By the time I was done the players would be carrying me on their shoulders around the room and chanting my name...

And then the GF wakes me up.

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Jul 29, 2024 2:32 pm

Hearing Tua and McDaniel talk about the discussion with Ross, it really doesn't sound like it was a big deal and that wasn't the catalyst to finalize the deal. It sounds like everyone wanted the deal to get done, and they all knew it was going to get done. I think McD just reiterated, hey let's move quickly so Tua can commit to practicing at 100%.

There are a lot of incentives built into the contract, and if I had to guess that could be one of the reasons it took longer to finalize. In the end, I think Grier and his staff, especially Brandon Shore, did an amazing job with this contract. It looks like a fair deal for both sides and it won't destroy the cap at all.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Mon Jul 29, 2024 4:25 pm

JMP wrote:Hearing Tua and McDaniel talk about the discussion with Ross, it really doesn't sound like it was a big deal and that wasn't the catalyst to finalize the deal.  It sounds like everyone wanted the deal to get done, and they all knew it was going to get done. I think McD just reiterated, hey let's move quickly so Tua can commit to practicing at 100%.

I say Grier was determined to never pay Tua what he was asking for untl the 2 bad offensive practices happened and then he *and* McDaniel panicked, only while Grier was cowering in fear McDaniel actually took the initiative, selflessly and even heroically putting his own job on the line and talking Ross into finally making Grier do his damn job. This is my truth Razz

The way I can spin things makes the MSM look like amateurs Cool Even more than they already do to themselves, that is Laughing

There are a lot of incentives built into the contract, and if I had to guess that could be one of the reasons it took longer to finalize. In the end, I think Grier and his staff, especially Brandon Shore, did an amazing job with this contract. It looks like a fair deal for both sides and it won't destroy the cap at all.

They already had to let Wilkins and Hunt go *before* Tua's ginormous deal and let's be real here, Williams would've been gone too even without getting injured. So I just can't see how this *doesn't* result in yet another and possibly even more significant talent drain next offseason. Chubb and Armstead would almost certainly have to go, for starters. We've already seen how the Allen and Herbert deals forced their teams to do some roster chopping, and their cap numbers are only going to shoot up. And now the Bengals are dealing with those same issues. Even the mighty Chiefs aren't immune--remember the Chris Jones drama? The 49ers are running into trouble already even BEFORE inevitably making Purdy the first $60 mil a year QB. (He totally deserves it though.)

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Mon Jul 29, 2024 4:45 pm

SO...Tua's cap number for this season shrinks by around $9 mil from what it was last week, and next season it's over $39 mil (not *that* bad but still the largest in team history). 2026 is a different story though affraid

https://overthecap.com/player/tua-tagovailoa/8745

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next