The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rishard Matthews is a free agent - keep or walk away?

+6
HalCHorn
CarsonChris
Degarmo
scotgif
finfanatic
mercury22nathan
10 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Rishard Matthews is a free agent - keep or walk away? - Page 2 Empty Re: Rishard Matthews is a free agent - keep or walk away?

Post by JMP Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:07 am

I just don't see Matthews getting any big offers in free agency. But, we'll see. I hope the Phins can find a way to keep him.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Rishard Matthews is a free agent - keep or walk away? - Page 2 Empty Re: Rishard Matthews is a free agent - keep or walk away?

Post by white1 Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:07 am

No one commented on my plan for trading away Landry and James?
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:26 am

white1 wrote:No one commented on my plan for trading away Landry and James?

I've actually been giving some thought to this, since I saw your post.

I really don't care about James one way or another, so I'd have no problem trading him.

And after thinking it over, if the deal is right...yes, I'd trade Landry to get a QB. I didn't like Landry when he was drafted, but he has since become a favorite of mine. I definitely think he's very overrated by Dolfans, but no doubt he is a good player and he adds a spark to this offense. But, without a real QB, I think his ceiling is pretty low. Getting a legit QB is really the only thing that matters...we're not winning jack till we get one. So, whatever it takes - if I have to trade Landry, I'm doing it.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:11 am

Yeah that's where I'm at. Omar just said Paxton Lynch maybe in the same conversation as Luck. Wow.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Mon Dec 07, 2015 4:26 pm

white1 wrote:No one commented on my plan for trading away Landry and James?

I kinda sorta remember reading that post before I blacked out for some reason...

But then I realized how in line with my philosophy it actually was. And my philosophy is...if a team is bad WITH Player X, how much worse could it be if he was traded? It's the same approach JJ used when he traded Herschel walker, and even this team managed to go 11-5 after trading off JT. Of course said team still has to use the picks they get wisely, and with the Fins that's a major problem. Remember how they blew the Wes Welker picks? pale Plus, creating yet another void on the O-line gives me the willies. But if it meant getting Lynch then screw it, he can run just like Hennehill Laughing

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Mon Dec 07, 2015 4:29 pm

white1 wrote:Yeah that's where I'm at.  Omar just said Paxton Lynch maybe in the same conversation as Luck.  Wow.

As a Memphis homer I hope he can be better than that considering Luck's surprisingly mediocre career stats so far. But I know what they really meant. I'm not sure even I'd go *that* far, but he'll be better than Hennehill barring some freak injury, I can guarantee that.

If this team keeps insisting on winning though they might have to trade half the team to get him at this rate Crying or Very sad

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Mon Dec 07, 2015 8:05 pm

Time to start circulating the cocaine use rumors to drive down his stock.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Mon Dec 07, 2015 8:22 pm

Degarmo wrote:Time to start circulating the cocaine use rumors to drive down his stock.

Cocaine??? That's so 80's. Crystal meth's what the rednecks 'round these here parts do these days. Of course the cool kids are doing stuff from their parents' medicine cabinet but that just doesn't make for a sexy enough rumor Laughing

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:14 am

Memphis is not exactly a proving ground for the NFL, so Paxton Lynch will likely need to sit a year or two to adjust to the speed of the game. Which actually works out fine for the Phins, since we are stuck with Tannehill for another year. Lynch looks like the real deal. It'll be interesting to see how he does in the offseason leading up to the draft.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:15 am

Agreed this could be a really good fit.

Tannenbaum got his man last year when he went after Suh. Does he put the same effort into getting his QB this year? Far more important position, and he really needs to get this right.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:38 am

I like Brandon Doughty of WKU as well, but the same thing applies; he'd need a year or two to adjust to the speed of the game. I know that others have mentioned him here as well.

He had originally committed to FAU (if Schnellenberger tried to recruit him, that's a pretty good endorsement for a QB) but ended up choosing WKU. However he apparently has a sixth year of eligibility granted so he may not come out.

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:18 am

Normally, W1 and I are on the same wavelength, but this plan to trade away PROVEN players for the POSSIBILITY of getting better, makes me cringe..

Everyone DOES realize, the draft is a crapshoot and there is ABSOLUTELY NO GUARANTEES the drafted player can even perform at anywhere close to an NFL LEVEL, right????

Right???

And since we all agree, that the Phins DRAFTING ABILITY has been their downfall, I am at a loss to understand WHY anyone thinks the probability for getting a franchise QB from the Drunken Monkey Clan's pickings is a good idea????

Would it have been a good idea to sell the farm to go up an get a Ryan Leaf? Matt Leinart? Blake Bortles? RGIII?

Or to WAIT and have taken Russell Wilson? Teddy Bridgewater? Derek Carr? Or heck, even Landry Jones?

This assumes the Phins "braintrust" aka "Drunken Monkey Clan", have the ABILITY to identify the QB that will develop, and are smart enough to work the draft to get him.

If the Phins KNEW the player was going to be a franchise QB, EVERYONE ELSE would know that too, and you could not give up enough to move up to get him. Which essentially makes the move an even bigger crapshoot IMHO.

Plus, when you roll the dice like that, you are essentially betting your job on the outcome.

Is Tannebaum that secure in his job that he would do that?

No, I will be extremely surprised if the Phins even LOOK AT QBs this off season. Unless it is as a 3rd Qb or to replace Moore as the backup.

A lot is going to depend on whom they hire as the next HC IMO.

Note: I am just guessing what Tannebaum is going to do, not saying I agree with it.
finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:45 am

All valid points, FF.

I think what you are seeing is extreme fatigue setting in with our fan base. Yes, it can be rightfully considered foolish to trade away proven talent for a chance at getting someone who could very well be the next Ryan Leaf.

The mental calculation I made was, you know what? Who cares if the plan fails. WE ARE FAILING ANYWAY. EVERY YEAR. At least this would be a bold, exciting move offering the POSSIBILITY of real change.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:21 pm

Bottom line: if you identify a QB that you think could possibly be "the man", you do whatever it takes to get him. If that means trading an established player, so be it.

Maybe the new QB succeeds and leads us to multiple championships - maybe he's Akili Smith. But, you can't be scared to fail.

Landry is a good player, but we're not winning anything with him. Look at Cam Newton and Russell Wilson - they are kicking ass with no-name receivers. Or look at Brandon Marshall - stud receiver that has never made the playoffs. Getting a QB is all that matters.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:42 pm

That is true. But look at the Pats, they are undefeated with Gronk who is a stud TE and Edelmen a good WR. Then they loss both and they are on a losing streak. So to have a good QB is okay but when you need support and you have non around you need to have a WR

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:08 pm

rightchea wrote:That is true. But look at the Pats, they are undefeated with Gronk who is a stud TE and Edelmen a good WR. Then they loss both and they are on a losing streak. So to have a good QB is okay but when you need support and you have non around you need to have a WR

Good point, but I would argue that the Pats' defense and STs have let them down in those two losses - not the QB. And let's not forget...Brady has won multiple Super Bowls with mostly no-names at WR. I also don't think the Pats are aywhere close to 10-2 this season without Brady.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Tue Dec 08, 2015 5:30 pm

The more time goes by, the more I like White1's reasoning. Dare to be different. Shake things up. The time for half-assed pseudo-change is long gone.

Had the Fins made this sort of trade for Luck, would anybody be complaining now?

BTW Jmp, the real reason the Pats are 10-2 is that the rest of the league has decided to become hot garbage. This team can't hold a candle to the '07 edition and actually should have 3 losses in the last 4 games. It blows my mind how many times another team will have the Pats beaten and then suddenly start acting and coaching as if Belichick's somehow using an invisible mind-control ray to make them stupid.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:23 pm

LOL.....I like the concept 316. The Pats are very lucky and it is like Belichick is paying them off to loss at the end. Once a cheater always a cheater...

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:58 pm

With all the success the Patriots over such a long period of time, it's really difficult for me to say it's just luck or it's because they cheated. It's obviously more than that...you don't stay that good for that long for no reason. They're clearing doing something right, and it's a model no other team has been able to copy. I fucking hate that team, but I have to give credit where it's due.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:02 am

Here's something you probably didn't know--Belichick and Brady have been together longer than any other coach-QB combo in NFL history. Seriously.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:11 am

DolFan 316 wrote:Here's something you probably didn't know--Belichick and Brady have been together longer than any other coach-QB combo in NFL history. Seriously.

Yep, that's certainly a huge part of their success. That, and an uncanny ability to find players that fit exactly what Belichick wants to do.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2