The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dolphins meeting with Lamar Miller’s agent at NFL Combine

5 posters

Go down

Dolphins meeting with Lamar Miller’s agent at NFL Combine Empty Dolphins meeting with Lamar Miller’s agent at NFL Combine

Post by rightchea Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:48 am

Andrew Abramson wrote:Lamar Miller hasn’t always felt the love in Miami, but the Dolphins won’t let him leave without a fight.

Team officials wil meet with Miller’s agent Drew Rosenhaus at the NFL scouting combine this week as the two sides discuss a potential long-term deal.

If Miller isn’t under contract by March 7, other NFL teams can begin contacting him. He could sign with another team as early as March 15.

“We’d all like Lamar here,” general manager Chris Grier said. “We drafted him, we know him, we spent a lot of time with Lamar over the years. That being said, you’d always love to have the guys you know. You know what you’re getting day-to-day, in terms of the person, the work ethic in the locker room.

“We’re meeting with his agent here at some point, trying to get something done.”

Miller is one of the most sought after running backs on the market despite failing to reach 1,000 rushing yards for the second consecutive season.

He ran for 872 rushing yards, 13th-best in the league. His eight rushing touchdowns were tied for seventh-best, and he also had two receiving touchdowns.

http://dailydolphin.blog.palmbeachpost.com/2016/02/24/dolphins-meeting-with-lamar-millers-agent-at-nfl-combine/

I hoping that Miami does keep him. They have way too many holes to fill to find someone else to replace him.

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Dolphins meeting with Lamar Miller’s agent at NFL Combine Empty Re: Dolphins meeting with Lamar Miller’s agent at NFL Combine

Post by Birdmond Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:07 pm

I'm okay letting Miller walk and I'd be okay signing him. Don't really care. I think he's going to have a nice career but I don't think he's the type of back that equates to wins. I'm also pretty confident we can go 6-10 without him.

Birdmond

Back to top Go down

Dolphins meeting with Lamar Miller’s agent at NFL Combine Empty Re: Dolphins meeting with Lamar Miller’s agent at NFL Combine

Post by JMP Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:31 pm

If the Dolphins really wanted Miller back, I'd have to think they would've started talking with his agent long before this. I think they'll lowball him and then he'll test the market and ultimately sign elsewhere. That's a big hole to fill - he was our biggest playmaker, even though he didn't get the ball enough.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:56 pm

Birdmond wrote:I'm also pretty confident we can go 6-10 without him.

And Birdmond wins the thread, just close it now cheers cheers cheers

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Sat Feb 27, 2016 1:10 pm

I'm also pretty confident we can go 6-10 without him.

And Birdmond wins the thread, just close it now cheers cheers cheers

I understand the sentiment, but IMO this is an overly simplistic view of the decisions we are faced with this offseason.

An NFL team cannot afford to look at solely their record in assessing the priority for retaining free agents. I would work to keep Miller and Vernon for sure. For that matter, I would also retain Cameron or even extend him given that last years performance will only drive his price down. I do not think Cameron or Miller was utilized properly. Given that I hated Lazor's offense, I am not blaming the players for the problems we had last year. Other than Tannehill, and the two guards. That's where the risk and holes are.

Vernon is a pass rusher entering his prime. Either pay him, or deal with the fact we are likely going to take a big step down at one of the most important spots on the defensive side of the ball. That, and it becomes a huge need for us in the draft, with Wake approaching the end of his career also. No cheap free agent will be available that will match what Vernon can do on the field. We're either paying someone else, that another team decided was not worth keeping, or we're burning a draft pick. I did not mention Dion Jordan on purpose. He may as well have never been drafted.

Matthews is another guy I would consider keeping. Even with his limited opportunities, he clearly displayed his skills. If not for Parker and Landry, this would be a huge priority. Long-term thinking applies here, for when Landry and Parker play out their rookie contracts. So, which ones look great here long term, or do you try and sign Matthews to something like a four year deal?
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sat Feb 27, 2016 4:49 pm

I think Vernon is VERY overrated by Dolfans. I think we could pretty easily get an upgrade at a significantly lower price. As I've said many times, overpaying for average players is a recipe for failure.

Miller is our best player on offense, IMO, but these days running backs come cheap and you can find them in any round of the draft. I'd love to keep Miller, but there's no need to pay big money to a back.

Jordan Cameron is another overrated player and I'd definitely cut him. Shouldn't be hard to find a cheaper receiving TE with poor hands and no blocking ability.

Matthews is the one guy I'd strongly consider keeping. I think he's the second or third best receiver on the team and he has good chemistry with Tannehill. Let him walk, and you really only have two trustworthy receivers, one of whom may have chronic foot issues. I don't like Kenny Stills at all, and I think it would be a mistake to hand him a starting job.

My plan is to build a perennial contender. You don't do that by overpaying free agents, especially at positions that don't warrant it like RB and TE. And Vernon averaging close to $15 million a year would just be absurd...no reason for that at all.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Birdmond Sat Feb 27, 2016 6:15 pm

No my point is this group of free agents are part of a losing culture. They are losers. I want a complete house cleaning where possible. Vernon is overrated and Miller could easily be replaced by a 4th round pick. Paying overrated players or over valued positions is a mistake. Would the Patriots give these two big money? I say no f*cking way.

Birdmond

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Sat Feb 27, 2016 8:25 pm

Birdmond wrote:No my point is this group of free agents are part of a losing culture.  They are  losers.   I want a complete house cleaning where possible.   Vernon is overrated and Miller could easily be replaced by a 4th round pick.    Paying overrated players or over valued positions is a mistake.  Would the Patriots give these two big money? I say no f*cking way.

PREACH AWN, BRUTHA!!! TESTIFYYY!!! YOU ARE AWN FIYAH!!!

Vernon had half a sack more in 16 games than Wake did in 7. In a contract year. He has just one double digit sack season out of four he's played. And THIS is the guy you want to give big money to??? Really???

I'd honestly rather keep Miller, but the RB position has never been more fungible.

My question is and always has been, if you're a Fins player hitting FA, why would you even WANT to return to this dumpster fire?

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:57 pm

Problem is if Miami doesn't get the RB from Ohio St or Alabama then Miami shouldn't go after a RB at all

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by Birdmond Sun Feb 28, 2016 6:04 am

rightchea wrote:Problem is if Miami doesn't get the RB from Ohio St or Alabama then Miami shouldn't go after a RB at all

It would not surprise me if Elliot is the pick. Even though the RB position is over valued I think Elliot is a once in a generation player and I think he's a better prospect than Gurley. In fact I think Elliot is the best player in the draft.

THAT BEING SAID I DO NOT WANT TO DRAFT A RB in round one.

Birdmond

Back to top Go down

Post by Birdmond Sun Feb 28, 2016 7:11 am

I'll take my house cleaning one step further: I would draft Paxton Lynch and trade Tannehill to the Rams.

Birdmond

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:12 am

I like how this thread has evolved. We are seeing elements of the debate on our core approach.

Is this a retooling year or a total rebuild? If rebuild, then yes go much cheaper in free agency and don't use the tag. Also, yes I would draft a qb
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by Birdmond Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:26 am

white1 wrote:I like how this thread has evolved. We are seeing elements of the debate on our core approach.

Is this a retooling year or a total rebuild? If rebuild, then yes go much cheaper in free agency and don't use the tag. Also, yes I would draft a qb

Yeah it's a good thread but my philosophy is just a fantasy. As long as Ross and Tannembaum are running the show we are always "close".

Birdmond

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Sun Feb 28, 2016 6:26 pm

Birdmond wrote:I'll take my house cleaning one step further:  I would draft Paxton Lynch and trade Tannehill to the Rams.

Bird, if you keep posting like this I might develop a man crush. Seriously.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by Birdmond Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:13 am

DolFan 316 wrote:
Birdmond wrote:I'll take my house cleaning one step further:  I would draft Paxton Lynch and trade Tannehill to the Rams.

Bird, if you keep posting like this I might develop a man crush. Seriously.

I'm tired of every player on this team except Suh, Landry , Parker, Jones and the new kickers.

Birdmond

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:31 am

I'm actually kinda tired of Suh already. But yeah, the rest can stay Smile

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:59 pm

Here's something else I found just now that highlights just how individual performance by RBs is less important than ever, or at least in 40 years.

http://www.footballperspective.com/number-of-5075100125150-rushing-yards-games/#more-28476

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:00 am

Doug Martin and Matt forte are hitting free agency also. Probably others too, but I like both.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:10 am

I'm a big Forte fan.  One of the most underrated players in the NFL, IMO.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down