The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Trends suggest that Miami Dolphins should target running back

+4
finfanatic
Degarmo
Birdmond
rightchea
8 posters

Go down

Trends suggest that Miami Dolphins should target running back Empty Trends suggest that Miami Dolphins should target running back

Post by rightchea Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:18 pm

Adam Beasley wrote:Let’s begin here: Ezekiel Elliott is the best running back in the NFL Draft.

If he’s available with the 13th pick, don’t be surprised if the Dolphins take him.

Elliott worked out for Miami last week, and the front office is not philosophically opposed to taking a running back high in the first round.

But if not, there are plenty of options in the subsequent rounds. This is considered a deep draft at a position.

And although it’s a tired cliché to say that running backs are a dime a dozen — tell that to the Rams and Todd Gurley — it remains true that you can find value throughout the draft.

Still, the idea that a seventh-round pick will be as productive as a top-five selection is a bit of a stretch.

Read more here:

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nfl/miami-dolphins/article73552767.html

it looks to me that everyone wants Miami to draft a RB. I am all in, whoever that guy is they picked up from the Rams I don't trust him to be a legit backup or starter.

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Trends suggest that Miami Dolphins should target running back Empty Re: Trends suggest that Miami Dolphins should target running back

Post by Birdmond Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:01 am

Zeke is one of my top 3 favorites in the first round and one of my top 3 has not been chosen since Marino. So I'll be shocked if he's picked. In case your curious here is my favorite 3 in round 1.

1: Zeke
2: Treadwell
3: Ragland

So take them off your board.

Birdmond

Back to top Go down

Trends suggest that Miami Dolphins should target running back Empty Re: Trends suggest that Miami Dolphins should target running back

Post by Degarmo Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:23 pm

I really feel like if we can't get Elliott or the UCLA linebacker, we'll try to move back, but I could envision a scenario where we move up, and give up far too much, because of a panicked Tannenbaum.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:42 pm

Moving up and paying too much does sound like Tannenbaum strategy, but I think they realize this season is to set up 2017. Way too many holes to fill to even go for the "Win now!" mentality IMO.

But it is Tannenbaum. So who knows?

At this point, I have no idea who the Phins are looking at.

I am left to wonder though.....if Tannenbaum had known there was going to be a rush to trade up into the top two spots, would he have stayed at #8? The two QBs going first and second have REALLY pushed some talent further down than they should go IMO.

On a side note: Anyone else have a vague feeling like this draft is shaping up like the Peyton Manning and Ryan Leaf draft? Goff is Manning and Wentz is Leaf. Wentz' accuracy on intermediate and long range passes is atrocious.
finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:57 pm

I really think Lynch will be better than either and will end up being a bargain pick. Just like I think Bridgewater is going to make a lot of teams look dumb for passing on him.

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:58 pm

Oh and I would much rather see a move DOWN, since it seems this draft has tons of value in rounds 2-3.

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:33 pm

HalCHorn wrote:Oh and I would much rather see a move DOWN, since it seems this draft has tons of value in rounds 2-3.

I agree on that.

Last edited by finfanatic on Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:36 pm

Tannanbaum's already gotten this team screwed more than a first time prison inmate. All he had to do was stay at 8 and somebody would've traded up and given him the extra picks this team so badly needs. Somebody.

So naturally instead he drops down 5 spots for NO extra picks and will probably trade BACK up to where he was to begin with!

(Facepalms.)

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:41 pm

DolFan 316 wrote:Tannanbaum's already gotten this team screwed more than a first time prison inmate. All he had to do was stay at 8 and somebody would've traded up and given him the extra picks this team so badly needs. Somebody.

So naturally instead he drops down 5 spots for NO extra picks and will probably trade BACK up to where he was to begin with!

(Facepalms.)

Perhaps this would merit the double facepalm...with muffled sobs...

Very Happy
finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:20 pm

I hope I'm wrong.  If Tannenbaum trades back up, it would remind me of 2001, the first of many Wannstedt Era fiascos on draft day (in 2000, he didn't have a first round pick, and Jimmah was sitting with him for awhile, so he did less damage than usual).

Sitting at # 26, and with both Drew Brees and Reggie Wayne there among others, Wanny has an offer from San Diego for # 32 AND a third rounder (# 67 overall).  So we could take one of two badly needed offensive potential stars, or we could trade down a mere six spots and pick up a high third rounder in the process.

Bumstedt does....neither, because he just can't risk losing Jamar Fletcher!  So he stays put and takes Fletcher. San Diego wanted to move up for Brees, and ended up getting him anyway at 32.

Then, once the third round rolls around, Bumstedt decides that he needs an extra third rounder because his coveted Morlon Greenwood is falling (and he wants both Travis Minor and Greenwood).  So.....he sends Philly our 2002 SECOND rounder to get the third rounder in '01 and grab Greenwood...really, not the most irreplaceable LB in the world.

So instead of an extra third in '01 (or a franchise QB, or Pro Bowl WR, either would have been nice) while leaving our 2002 picks intact, we instead dip into the '02 picks because Wanny couldn't plan a couple of HOURS ahead.

(by the way, while Steve Smith was the only truly great player who would have been there at # 67 in 2001, the Eagles ended up with 8 year starting CB Sheldon Brown with the 2002 pick we sent them.)

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:36 pm

Pure incompetence. No

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:32 am

Could be a smokescreen, and I hope it is, but on Mike Fisher's show on the radio this morning Schefter has reported rumors that Miami is looking to move into San Diego's spot to take Elliott ahead of the Cowboys.

So if this shakes out, Tannenbaum is likely moving us entirely out of a deep, value-rich second round..... *&^%$#!

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:47 am

If the Phins move up to 3 and don't take Ramsey, I will be one unhappy camper.  Evil or Very Mad

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Wed Apr 27, 2016 4:37 pm

Hell for that matter if you move to 3, why not take Tunsil? While Elliott is highly rated, and so is Ramsey, the grade on Tunsil reflects the likelihood he will turn into a pro bowl LT.

If you really are going BPA, with an aging and injury prone Branden Albert why do you REACH for a running back instead of drafting a pro bowl caliber replacement at LT?

white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Wed Apr 27, 2016 4:38 pm

Btw while Ramsey is considered the best all-around defensive back and playmaker, Hargreaves is considered more talented as a pure cover cornerback. Take that for what it's worth.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:24 am

white1 wrote:Hell for that matter if you move to 3, why not take Tunsil? While Elliott is highly rated, and so is Ramsey, the grade on Tunsil reflects the likelihood he will turn into a pro bowl LT.  

If you really are going BPA, with an aging and injury prone Branden Albert why do you REACH for a running back instead of drafting a pro bowl caliber replacement at LT?

Give me the playmaker every time. You can get a quality offensive lineman anywhere in the draft...but you're not getting a Jalen Ramsey anywhere but #3 overall.

As for Tunsil vs. Elliott, same rule applies - I'll take the playmaker. That said, I am not taking Elliott at 3 if I trade up. Ramsey all the way.

white1 wrote:
Btw while Ramsey is considered the best all-around defensive back and playmaker, Hargreaves is considered more talented as a pure cover cornerback.

I see the DB class this year like this: there's Jalen Ramsey, and there's everyone else. My one concern is that he's only had 3 INTs in his career, but Ramsey can play any position in the defensive backfield and he is an elite athlete. I'd stick him at corner and feel confident that he'd be the best DB on the Phins' roster the moment he steps on the field. I like Hargreaves, but he doesn't fit what the Phins want from a size standpoint (height and arm length) - and Ramsey is the prototype for this D. I really don't want to trade up, but to get Ramsey...I'd have to seriously consider it.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Birdmond Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:15 am

Well if Miami does trade up to #3 I'm convinced it will be for NEXT years #1. I think Next year San Diego will be QB shopping. They'll want picks next year. Obviously I'm not a fan of this but moving up to 3 gets me in bed by 9:00. So there's that.

Birdmond

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:35 am

Birdmond wrote:Well if Miami does trade up to #3 I'm convinced it will be for NEXT years #1.  I think Next year San Diego will be QB shopping.  They'll want picks next year.   Obviously I'm not a fan of this but moving up to 3 gets me in bed by 9:00.  So there's that.

What, you're not going to stay up and post about what a monumentally stupid move it was? Razz

I'm actually looking forward to how Tannenbaum's going to mess this up. I'm not one of those people who love reality shows for the "drama" but this has spectacular fiery train wreck written all over it. In five languages, no less.

If anything, I'll be disappointed now if he DOESN'T trade up.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:22 am

Birdmond wrote:Well if Miami does trade up to #3 I'm convinced it will be for NEXT years #1.  I think Next year San Diego will be QB shopping.  They'll want picks next year.   Obviously I'm not a fan of this but moving up to 3 gets me in bed by 9:00.  So there's that.

Next year's #1? God, I hope not! That could very easily be a top 10 pick, if not top 5.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Birdmond Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:21 am

JMP wrote:

Next year's #1? God, I hope not! That could very easily be a top 10 pick, if not top 5.

We know it and The Chargers know it.

But I am now convinced Jack will be the pick at 13.

Birdmond

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:04 pm

Me too, bird. We stay at 13 and take Jack. I would be cautiously optimistic in that case...love the player, but the injury is scary. Still, getting a talent like that t 13 is insane.

I'm actually out in Montauk now (east end of Long Island) so I probably won't get to see the draft live. But I'll be checking in again as soon as I can tonight!

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:00 pm

If the Fins draft Jack, he'll reinjure his knee in minicamp and be out of the league within 3 years, and the media will forever mock Tannenbaum for taking him.

If any other team drafts him the knee will somehow never be an issue and he'll become a star. The media will mock Tannenbaum for NOT taking him.

My pessimism is just getting warmed up BTW. This will be a disaster putting the sinking of the Titanic to shame. It cannot end any other way.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by Birdmond Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:28 pm

DolFan 316 wrote:If the Fins draft Jack, he'll reinjure his knee in minicamp and be out of the league within 3 years, and the media will forever mock Tannenbaum for taking him.

If any other team drafts him the knee will somehow never be an issue and he'll become a star. The media will mock Tannenbaum for NOT taking him.

My pessimism is just getting warmed up BTW. This will be a disaster putting the sinking of the Titanic to shame. It cannot end any other way.

It's a gamble you have to take.

Birdmond

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:32 pm

NO gamble is one you *have* to take. No more injured players!!! Evil or Very Mad

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down