The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dolphins sign 1-year deal with Chris Culliver

3 posters

Go down

Dolphins sign 1-year deal with Chris Culliver Empty Dolphins sign 1-year deal with Chris Culliver

Post by rightchea Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:51 am

I heard that he is coming off of a torn ACL......classic Fin move....

ESPN wrote:he Miami Dolphins have signed cornerback Chris Culliver to a one-year contract, the team announced Wednesday.

Miami was in the market for a replacement for departed cornerback Brent Grimes.

Tony Lippett, a fifth-round pick in 2015 and converted receiver, has been working with the first team. Xavien Howard, a second-round choice in 2016, has yet to practice in training camp after undergoing arthroscopic knee surgery.

Culliver, who turns 28 on Aug. 17, was released by the Redskins on May 2 after completing just one season of a four-year contract he signed with the team in 2015.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/17258997/miami-dolphins-add-chris-culliver-thin-secondary

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Dolphins sign 1-year deal with Chris Culliver Empty Re: Dolphins sign 1-year deal with Chris Culliver

Post by JMP Wed Aug 10, 2016 4:57 pm

I heard he may not be able to play till close to midseason!

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Dolphins sign 1-year deal with Chris Culliver Empty Re: Dolphins sign 1-year deal with Chris Culliver

Post by rightchea Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:31 pm

He reported that he won't play until October

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:19 am

To me this signing demonstrates and reinforces a couple of trends we've seen this offseason.

1. Yet another proven veteran on a 1 year deal. Our roster is getting teed up for major overhaul, we are going to have a ton of contracts expiring over the next 1-2 years.

2. Bigger is better for corners, in the opinion of our revamped front office. Culliver is a six footer.

3. While the team likes youth, clearly corner is a concern. We have no one behind Maxwell on the outside that is a proven veteran. That's not just thin, that's wafer thin. Not a bad idea to take a guy that has proven he has the skill set, and get him healthy to fill in as our roster suffers the injuries typical for an NFL team. Timing could work out well for us, meanwhile he has plenty of runway to learn the defense while finishing his rehab.

Overall I'm fine with the move. Short term deal, veteran player, meeting our profile at the position. I'd venture to guess that Culliver at 85-90% is probably better game 1 than anyone other than Maxwell, so it's a clear addition from a depth standpoint. Based on his play this season, we may choose to sign him longer term or we may let him go in favor of a younger guy that develops into a starter.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Aug 11, 2016 6:01 pm

I'm fine with the move just becaue it's in August and you aren't getting anyone good right now. But I'm not expecting much from Culliver at all. Bottom line - the front office screwed the pooch at CB, and now they have to scramble to fix it. CB remains a huge problem area.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down