The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Jason Jones to sign free-agent deal with Dolphins

5 posters

Go down

Jason Jones to sign free-agent deal with Dolphins Empty Jason Jones to sign free-agent deal with Dolphins

Post by rightchea Fri May 13, 2016 11:43 pm

Dan Hanzus wrote:The Miami Dolphins are adding some more depth to their defensive line.

NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported Friday that defensive end Jason Jones is headed to Miami to sign a deal with the Dolphins, according to a source with knowledge of the situation.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000662666/article/jason-jones-to-sign-freeagent-deal-with-dolphins

Looks like Miami is stock pilling DL.

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Jason Jones to sign free-agent deal with Dolphins Empty Re: Jason Jones to sign free-agent deal with Dolphins

Post by JMP Sat May 14, 2016 12:36 am

I figured this would happen after the draft. I would have preferred to draft a DE, but Jones is a solid player and a great addition to the rotation.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Jason Jones to sign free-agent deal with Dolphins Empty Re: Jason Jones to sign free-agent deal with Dolphins

Post by JMP Sat May 14, 2016 1:50 am

Hopefully this means the end of Terrence Fede's Dolphin career. Trim the dead wood from this roster.

DE is looking pretty deep with Williams, Wake, Jones and Branch, plus that CFL dude Laing. As critical as I am of Tannenbaum, he's turned DE into a strength (assuming Wake is healthy), adding a bunch of big, strong veterans to soldify the line. Nice work. I do have some concern about DT, but Jones and Branch could kick inside in certain packages.

Also have to keep an eye on Chris McCain (DE or LB???), although I consider him a longshot to make the final roster. And Dion Jordan, if he ever puts on a uniform, could also be a DE or LB...though LB makes more sense IMO.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Sat May 14, 2016 11:13 am

Totally agree, good pickup.

This is what competition means. We now have four legitimate seasoned starters at defensive end. Fede, McCain or any other young guys competing for a spot face the very real specter of getting cut if they don't show vast improvement. This is the way to build a good roster.

With this move and looking at the roster, I also agree on Jordan. If he does return, would seem like a better move to work him at linebacker. I don't believe he has the size (he's tall but thin) to play end in what we are trying to do on defense. Plus, linebacker is not exactly a deep unit for us - better to work him full time and see if we can develop his coverage skills. Yes, I'm still thinking he can be a solid matchup against Gronk.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Sat May 14, 2016 11:46 am

This is a nice move, definitely. We need some defensive help, and our line will be a strength. I'm assuming we'll be boom or bust on D this year. We either get to the QB, or we don't and have a hellacious time keeping the other team off the scoreboard.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by Birdmond Sat May 14, 2016 2:18 pm

I'm pretty happy with this move. I'd feel better if Miami signs another LB and DT. I'm thinking that there should be some quality veterans released.

Birdmond

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Sat May 14, 2016 9:53 pm

So I am trying to figure out how they are going to use Jordan if they feel like that he is a keeper. Are they going to move him to LB and where at LB would he fit in at? I have seen some of highlights before he was suspended and he did pretty well against some TE and if he can keep up with the TE's then he's a keeper.

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sun May 15, 2016 2:10 am

Honestly, I don't think Jordan fits in anywhere. He has very limited pass rush skills, and he's not a run defender. He's OK in coverage, but nothing special IMO. He doesn't have enough pass rush ability to play DE, so I think you'd have to look at him as an OLB. But realistically, he's not going to beat out Jenkins or Misi for a starting job (and I don't think much of either player). Jordan has a cap hit of a little over $5.3 million this season, which is completely absurd for a player that is at best a role player and special teamer. I think the Phins should cut their losses now and move on.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Sun May 15, 2016 2:47 pm

If Jordan does not come into camp and show right away that he can be an impact player, I think he'll be gone quickly. He's on his last chance down here.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down