The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Phins talk extension with Landry

+3
white1
JMP
mercury22nathan
7 posters

Go down

Phins talk extension with Landry Empty Phins talk extension with Landry

Post by mercury22nathan Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:50 am

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/armando-salguero/article189867619.html

The Dolphins are finally convinced they want Jarvis Landry on their team long term.

And sources say the team and Landry’s representation are either already in preliminary talks or about to start talks — neither side is comfortable saying which — to discuss contract parameters, with the goal being that it leads to getting the receiver signed beyond this season.

and while the team asked Landry to do certain things and wanted to see his performance this season, he's done those things and continued to perform as well as he always has. this was really less about Landry being Landry and more about another players performance - or lack thereof...

The Dolphins also wanted to see how Landry fit into a wide receiver room and on the salary cap with teammate DeVante Parker coming up for his own new contract in a couple of years.

And the fact is, while Landry showed the team everything everyone needed to see, Parker stumbled. Parker has averaged three catches per game so far this year, down from 3.5 last year. He’s averaging 11.4 yards per reception this year, down from 13.3 last year. Parker has only scored one touchdown after scoring four last year.

So Parker has not proven he’s a budding No. 1 receiver and will have to play to that level next season if he wants to be paid like one in 2019.

The No. 1 receiver money available now, meanwhile, is destined for Landry, who leads the team with 88 receptions and eight touchdowns.

so, in eyeing the future and knowing this team can only pay one guy like a No. 1 WR (whether or not he is a true no. 1), the decision was between Parker and Landry. and since Parker hasn't stepped, it looks like Landry is the guy. i suspect this strongly indicates that Parker will be gone (perhaps traded this year for a draft pick) after his rookie deal is up. and look for this Dolphins to draft (perhaps this year, but more likely next year) a young WR to team up with Landry and Stills.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Phins talk extension with Landry Empty Re: Phins talk extension with Landry

Post by JMP Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:03 am

It's about time. They better get a Landry deal done before free agency, because he'll cost too much to franchise and he'll command a shit-ton of $$$ on the open market.  If he becomes a FA, he's gone.  

As for Parker...I would have traded him already.  At this point, his value is as low as it's ever been.  I think we could get a 5th for him...maybe a 4th if there's a team that really liked him in the draft back then.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:56 am

I wonder if the Phins will try to lowball Landry because of his low yardage and yards per catch average this season. That would be a big mistake, because the only reason those numbers are low is because of the stupid ways Gase uses Landry. He could be a 13+ yards per catch receiver if used correctly, but Gase continues to use him at or close to the line of scrimmage - which IMO is a huge waste of his talent.

My guess is that Landry and his agent will look for a contract that averages close to $15 million a year. Will the Phins go that high? Should they go that high???

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:14 pm

Given what we've seen from Parker and Landry this season, my opinion has totally changed.

Yes, I think we should pay Landry and try to get the best deal possible. Hopefully we will get some kind of home town discount, and I don't think this is an unreasonable hope because I read that Stills took less than he could have to stay in Miami. Say what you want about Gase, but to me it seems like players enjoy playing for him. A huge asset, IMO.

Parker is turning into such a disappointment. Single handedly, he came very close to opening the game back up and giving the Pats a chance to win. That tipped ball late in the game was atrocious. To Cutler's credit, he gave him another chance later on that crossing route which Parker caught for a key first down to burn more clock.

My thought is lock in Landry, and install Landry-Stills as our primary receiving options this offseason. Tannehill seems to have good chemistry with both of them.

Yes, we may need to draft another WR, but IMO that's not critical. Get more practice squad guys, dump Carroo, and maybe continue to invest time in Grant, given his really nice TD we saw on Monday.

IMO the position that will be more critical is tight end. We need to dump Thomas, Fasano may very well retire leaving us with Marquis Gray. A great receiving threat at TE would do much more for this offense than another receiver, IMO. Plus, with Landry signed, the money to him and Stills argues we've already invested enough there for the time being.

white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:37 pm

Will Landry give the Phins a discount? I'd be surprised if he did, knowing that he could put up much better numbers on another team.

And yes - TE is a huge need. I agree - dump both Thomas and Fasano. The worst part of it is, this past draft was arguably the best draft for TEs in the history of the NFL...and we completely ignored it because we had already added Thomas and Fasano. That was a HUGE mistake, as I said at the time. Really poor planning and evaluating on the Phins' part.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:46 pm

Agreed. What makes it worse is we drafted a dud at DE, leaving us still needy at a critical position. We need a young pass rusher, and Harris was supposed to solve that.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:05 pm

Yeah, I see people praising Harris on other boards, and the Phins seem to love him...but I try to key on him every game and I'm just not seeing anything. Sure, he can get a pressure every now and then...but if you are drafted in the first round I need to see more than 1 sack and 14 tackles in 13 games. I can pull an undrafted FA off the street that can do that. Hopefully he can develop, but right now he looks like a wasted pick.

He has a lot of trouble getting off blocks...seems way too easy to take him out of the play. I wonder if he'd have better luck playing on the other side, going up against right tackles instead of left tackles?

And you're right...we went into last offseason needing to upgrade DE and TE, and now we're heading into the 2018 offseason needing to upgrade DE and TE. Same story every year...the draft kills us.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:44 pm

The euphoria from the Pats win sure did wear off quickly lol!

I'm at least waiting until after they somehow manage to lose to a team with Joe Webb at QB before I resume my gloom and doom again. The way I figure it, that at least gives me the weekend to still fell good Cool

Also, I actually looked up the receiving stats from this TE draft class the other day and...I'd hold the phone on calling it the greatest class ever.

How weird would it be if Landry signed with the Pats this offseason after pretty much having a personal crusade against them?

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:22 pm

DolFan 316 wrote:The euphoria from the Pats win sure did wear off quickly lol!

I'm at least waiting until after they somehow manage to lose to a team with Joe Webb at QB before I resume my gloom and doom again. The way I figure it, that at least gives me the weekend to still fell good Cool

Also, I actually looked up the receiving stats from this TE draft class the other day and...I'd hold the phone on calling it the greatest class ever.

How weird would it be if Landry signed with the Pats this offseason after pretty much having a personal crusade against them?

I'm just assuming our season will be over after week 17. Never too soon to look to the offseason with this team! Neutral

As for the TE class...looks pretty damn good to me:
OJ Howard (will be a monster)
Evan Engram (55 catches and 6 TDs - picked just after the Phins picked Charles Harris)
David Njoku (29 catches and 4 TDs, picked 7 spots after Harris)
Gerald Everett (just 13 catches so far...but averaging 17.5 yards a catch with 2 TDs)
Adam Shaheen (only 12 catches, but a great blocker and 3 TDs)
Jonnu Smith (13 catches and 2 TDs)
George Kittle (a couple of guys on this board loved him, and he has had a very strong rookie year - 30+ catches)

And Jake Butt, who has been hurt, also has a ton of potential.

That's 7 or 8 young TEs drafted this year that seem to have a bright future...and we have Julius Thomas and Anthony Fasano. No

And yeah...Landry on the Pats would be every Dolfan's nightmare!

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:03 pm

I’m expecting a victory but a large part of my subconscious is telling me to prepare for a huge disappointment.

Tyrod Taylor is starting so we will need to focus on contain while pass rushing. Not a recipe I’ve often seen work for us.

At this point seriously any fan of this team needs to be evaluated for ptsd. How many embarrassing losses have we witnessed and suffered through?
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:19 pm

How are we gonna sign Landry after we give Cutler a $40 million 2-year deal? Razz

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:23 pm

Easy. Cap savings from releasing Tanny.

If Cutler plays 14 games a year like he did Monday I’ll take him all day every day
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:21 pm

Tanny's staying. We need the wide receiver help, and we can run a new revolutionary two-QB's-at-once system.

AND THIS NEXT PART CANNOT BE STATED LOUDLY OR CLEARLY ENOUGH

Cutler will not give you 14 games like that game on Monday. He is a classic mirage, a Jeff George, a bundle of promised talent, with no payoff.

I'll tell you this. If they drop Tannehill, keep Cutler for 2 years, and ignore QB in the first 2 rounds, I think I'm done. Razz

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:35 pm

Well the good news is odds for that scenario are very low. Bad news you’ll have to continue suffering with us
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:32 am

The more I think about it, the more I think Landry will be playing elsewhere next season. I think he's going to want a lot more than the Phins are willing to pay, and I think he's pissed that they didn't address his contract sooner. We should have signed him much earlier in the process, when he would have been a bit less expensive. Of course, signing Cutler pretty much made that impossible.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:58 pm

Once again...Jay Cutler is a team-killer. Degarmoe nailed it with that Jeff George reference. Very Nice, DG.

I was against DRAFTING Parker, but NO...some of you were screaming for a WR!!!!

Any guy that Jon Gruden likes as much as he likes Landry is a guy you need on the team IMHO.

I just wish he could motivate himself without all the theatrics, but....
finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:22 pm

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/armando-salguero/article191514059.html

Bye-bye Landry.

"KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- It was the fourth quarter when the Miami Dolphins were trying to make an improbable comeback against the Kansas City Chiefs when they faced a third-and-24 situation. And in that situation, coach Adam Gase called a screen pass to Jakeem Grant.

And quarterback Jay Cutler threw it over Grant’s head for an incompletion. That apparently freaked out reciever Jarvis Landry who came to the sideline stomping his feet and yelling at Gase.

And Gase yelled right back at him.

This is the picture of how the 2017 Miami Dolphins season dies.

The Dolphins are out of the playoffs now. They needed to win out and get help elsewhere to keep their hopes alive. The hopes never made it out of this windswept midwest freezer of a venue."

Can't have a fiery guy with a personality, not for Philbin McCameron. Get ready for an all World-League 3rd Team Alternate Squad WR corps.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:44 am

Well...A guy who gets fired up about poor performance is different from a guy who pouts about competition (Ajayi) IMHO.

But I do think Landry wants near-ODB money and that ain't gonna happen.

Still ALOT wrong with this team, but Landry, even with all his faults, flaws, quirks, theatrics, and terd-like behavior, is not one of them IMO.
finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:35 am

Well, the bar has been set: Davante Adams just signed a 4-year $58 million extension with Green Bay, including an $18 million signing bonus. That's a $14.5 million a year average. So, you have to figure that Landry's agent will be looking for that type of deal at a minimum.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:22 pm

Degarmo wrote:How are we gonna sign Landry after we give Cutler a $40 million 2-year deal?  Razz

Not seeing that happening but if it does I stop being a dolphins fan and become a Jags fan. burning everything Dolphins

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down