The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Roster moves this week

5 posters

Go down

Roster moves this week Empty Roster moves this week

Post by JMP Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:52 am

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-dolphins/fl-sp-dolphins-martell-spaight-20180925-story.html

The Miami Dolphins will add former Washington Redskins linebacker Martell Spaight to address the unit’s depth after Chase Allen suffered a foot injury in Sunday's win over Oakland, according to a league source.

Spaight, who started seven of the 30 games he played in the past three seasons in Washington, has contributed 104 tackles and one interception during his NFL career.

The former Arkansas standout, who is 6-foot, 238 pounds, was selected by the Redskins in the fifth round of the 2015 NFL draft. He’s better at playing the run than the pass, and has a reputation as a strong special teams contributor.

That will come in handy for the Dolphins the next couple of weeks while Allen is sidelined by an injury that requires his foot to be in a walking boot.

Allen, who has started four games for the Dolphins the past two seasons, shared the outside linebacker workload with rookie Jerome Baker, primarily coming onto the field in packages designed to stop the run.

However, it’s more likely that Stephone Anthony will move into that role now that Allen is slowed by his foot injury.

I doubt Spaight will see much time this week, so we'll likely see a lot of Stephone Anthony. I'm sure the Patriots will be happy about that.

In other moves: William Hayes was placed on IR and WR Tanner McEvoy was cut. So, we have one open roster spot. The Phins are expected to promote DE Jonathan Woodard from the practice squad to fill that spot.

One other roster consideration: if AJ Derby is unable to play this weekend, that means we only have two TEs: Gesicki and Smythe. Hope the rookies are ready for an increased workload, because we'll definitely need them against the Pats. Sucks that we are hellbent on carrying 5 RBs and 4 QBs...would have been good to dump one of them and add a TE (Escobar??) for this game. Also sucks that RB Kalen Ballage is never active...would be nice to have a bigger back for short yardage and goal-line.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Roster moves this week Empty Re: Roster moves this week

Post by mercury22nathan Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:30 am

but what i believe to be the most important issues facing the team - how is Jones' shoulder and will he play against NE?

all the coverage screw ups allowing Nelson to run free this past game were a direct result of poor communication and missed assignments because Miami moved McCain and Fitzpatrick around. if Jones is out, i can only imagine the nightmares that Belichick will draw up with slot receivers and Gronk running free.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:15 am

My guess is Jones plays, but I haven't heard a thing about him. We definitely need him Sunday.

I guess we'll know more tomorrow when we (hopefully) get some word of which players aren't practicing.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:32 am

Safety: Reshad Jones was limited in practice because of a shoulder injury that sidelined him on Sunday against the Raiders. And though Jones said he feels a “lot better,” he was non-committal about whether he would be available for the Patriots game. He told The Miami Herald he is not sure he will be able to play.

Tight end: A.J. Derby didn’t practice because of a foot injury, meaning the Dolphins have two healthy tight ends: rookies Mike Gesicki and Durham Smythe. Gase suggested there could be more changes before Sunday; promoting Nick O’Leary from the practice squad is considered a decent possibility.

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nfl/miami-dolphins/

not sure if Jones will play or not - perhaps keeping things vague on purpose.

and we may see a promotion for Nick O'Leary.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:24 pm

mercury22nathan wrote:

not sure if Jones will play or not - perhaps keeping things vague on purpose.

and we may see a promotion for Nick O'Leary.

My initial take on reading the Jones news was that he was trying to keep the Patriots in the dark. I still think he plays.

I was surprised that the Bills cut O'Leary. He's certainly not great, but he can be a solid backup. Glad the Phins added him to the practice squad. We may need him on Sunday...tough to have only two TEs active, especially with both being rookies.

Hopefully Wake's kneeinjury isn't bad...we definitely need him to harass Brady!

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Umix10 Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:55 pm

Didn't like the roster moves at all. Would have liked to have seen a veteran piece here. Langford would be my choice at DE. Escobar at TE would have been fine too.

I strongly disagree with carrying 4 QB's. I have no clue why we are even thinking about this let alone you know, actually doing it. Get rid of Osweiler, he had his chance. Let Falk get a legitimate shot at development.

I do think that Ballage has what it takes to be an NFL back. I think that like years prior the dolphins continue to neglect the offensive line. Sitton was a great pick up but a short term plan. 2 or 3 years max. Miami's penchant for long term goals with short term thinking is going to be the death of a running back ever coming to Miami. How can the Dolphins continually negate themselves in the running game. The Raiders were last in the league in rushing defense going into the game but yet WE manage 41 yards. 26 from our QB Scrambling. Once you shut down the running game all you gotta do is make sure you keep an eye on Grant and Wilson. Trick plays is not going to get you into the playoffs.
Umix10
Umix10

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:45 pm

Wake and Jones both practiced today! Cool

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:48 pm

Umix10 wrote:Didn't like the roster moves at all.  Would have liked to have seen a veteran piece here.  Langford would be my choice at DE.  Escobar at TE would have been fine too.

I strongly disagree with carrying 4 QB's.  I have no clue why we are even thinking about this let alone you know, actually doing it.  Get rid of Osweiler, he had his chance.  Let Falk get a legitimate shot at development.  

I do think that Ballage has what it takes to be an NFL back.  I think that like years prior the dolphins continue to neglect the offensive line.  Sitton was a great pick up but a short term plan. 2 or 3 years max.  Miami's penchant for long term goals with short term thinking is going to be the death of a running back ever coming to Miami. How can the Dolphins continually negate themselves in the running game.  The Raiders were last in the league in rushing defense going into the game but yet WE manage  41 yards. 26 from our QB Scrambling.  Once you shut down the running game all you gotta do is make sure you keep an eye on Grant and Wilson.  Trick plays is not going to get you into the playoffs.

Agree completely. And good to see you posting, Umix! Cool

Not a fan of how they're handling the RBs. Ballage looked awesome in preseason, and at minimum he could help in an area where we are weak: short yardage. And it's not like Drake and Gore are tearing it up. Seems stupid to activate both Perry and Bolden, when neither one offers anything on offense. And it's not like they are such superstars on STs that we can't live without one of them.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:32 pm

Bolden, when neither one offers anything on offense. And it's not like they are such superstars on STs that we can't live without one of them.

Disagree here. I read Bolden IS a special teams superstar, in fact that's why we signed him. Plays on every special teams unit. If that's his role, hell yes I want him active.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:02 pm

white1 wrote:
Bolden, when neither one offers anything on offense. And it's not like they are such superstars on STs that we can't live without one of them.

Disagree here.  I read Bolden IS a special teams superstar, in fact that's why we signed him.  Plays on every special teams unit.  If that's his role, hell yes I want him active.  

Yes, Bolden is a good STs player...but regardless of how good he is, do we need to have both him AND Perry active while Ballage stays in street clothes? IMO, it's stupid to have two RBs active that are never going to see a down on offense. I would cut Perry outright, and go with Ballage and Bolden on gamedays. No need to have 5 RBs on the roster if only 2 of them are actually going to play RB, and this way we can use the player we spent a 4th round pick on. There are much better uses for the extra roster spot than a 5th RB.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:13 pm

JMP wrote:Wake and Jones both practiced today!   Cool

Great news Miami really going to need those guys out there against the Patsy

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:14 pm

Phins signed veteran center Wesley Johnson - former Jets starter and one of the worst linemen in the league last season. Oh well...experienced depth, I guess.

DE Cameron Malveaux promoted from the practice squad.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down