The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Phins sign DL Robert Nkemdiche

+3
DolFan 316
white1
JMP
7 posters

Go down

Phins sign DL Robert Nkemdiche Empty Phins sign DL Robert Nkemdiche

Post by JMP Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:53 pm

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-dolphins/fl-sp-dolphins-robert-nkemdiche-20190808-rqbd24sdxveedoqsc26kil7v6e-story.html

The Miami Dolphins signed defensive tackle Robert Nkemdiche on Thursday, hoping the nation’s former No. 1 high school recruit and first-round pick can resurrect his NFL career following major knee surgery last year and an arrest earlier this summer.

Nkemdiche, who suffered an ACL tear in December, will begin his stint with the Dolphins on the team’s active/physically unable-to-perform list. He reportedly is expected to return to action in September, but the Dolphins could have other plans for his rehabilitation process now that he is under contract.

Nkemdiche, widely considered the nation’s top high school player in 2013, played three seasons at Ole Miss and was the 29th pick in the 2016 NFL draft by the Arizona Cardinals.

However, Nkemdiche has been unable to live up to the hype and stay out of trouble during his NFL career.

Nkemdiche was released by the Cardinals on July 27, the same day new Cardinals coach Kliff Kingsbury said Nkemdiche was “not in shape” when reporting to training camp last month.

He remained on the team despite a June 6 arrest, following a traffic stop for speeding and driving with a suspended license. He was taken into custody on an outstanding warrant for driving with a suspended license, according to a report by the Arizona Republic.

During the traffic stop, police found a small, metal credit card case that had a white powdery substance. The case was considered drug paraphernalia and the substance had the appearance of cocaine. Nkemdiche said the substance was a “bathroom product.” Due to his cooperation, the credit card case was not tested and was seized and destroyed, according to the report.

If Nkemdiche can return to form, he could compete for significant playing time on the Dolphins defensive line, which is in need of a dominant pass-rusher.

Despite the knee injury, Nkemdiche is coming off his best NFL season where he started 6 of 10 games, had 4.5 sacks, 32 tackles and nine tackles for loss with a forced fumble and pass deflection.

Nkemdiche could come off the Dolphins’ PUP list at any time during the preseason, but the team must designate him on injured reserve, waive him or place him on the 53-man regular-season roster by Aug. 31.

I like the signing. The dude has had off-field issues and injuries, but on a one-year prove it deal why not? He played very well for Arizona last year before he tore his ACL, and if he gets healthy he can definitely help this Dolphins' defense. He brings size, attitude, versatility and playmaking ability. I think he will play both DT and DE in this defense.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Phins sign DL Robert Nkemdiche Empty Re: Phins sign DL Robert Nkemdiche

Post by white1 Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:12 pm

Good signing. The talent is there, and we need more D Linemen.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:25 pm

Bleh. Feh. Meh.

Gotta disagree with you this time, Jmp (you too White1 Razz ). Just your typical desperation signing because nobody currently on the roster at that position is worth a damn. Good players aren't just sitting around in the FA pool the first week of August.

To be fair, that dude hasn't been right in the head since this happened.

https://www.redcuprebellion.com/2016/9/30/13126446/ole-miss-memphis-2016-robert-nkemdiche-concussion-jackson-dillon-tweet-trash-talk-lol-alright-bro

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:20 pm

DolFan 316 wrote:Bleh. Feh. Meh.

Gotta disagree with you this time, Jmp (you too White1  Razz ). Just your typical desperation signing because nobody currently on the roster at that position is worth a damn. Good players aren't just sitting around in the FA pool the first week of August.

https://www.redcuprebellion.com/2016/9/30/13126446/ole-miss-memphis-2016-robert-nkemdiche-concussion-jackson-dillon-tweet-trash-talk-lol-alright-bro

I wouldn't call it a desperation move at all. It was an opportunity to get an immensely talented player at a bargain-basement price. No risk whatsoever.

My biggest problem with Nkemdiche (other than his injury history)? When he jumped out a window at Ole Miss while high on synthetic marijuana a few years ago, several of his teammates were in the room with him...including Laremy Tunsil. I just hope Nkemdiche doesn't bring out the worst in Tunsil.

Otherwise, if Nkemdiche gets healthy he could be a difference-maker on the field - or he may never play a down. Either way, it cost nothing to kick the tires.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Umix10 Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:21 pm

Have to agree with everybody. There’s nothing there really. It’s the smartest thing to do or the dumbest. It’s a pick your poison kinda thing. If pans out it will only be to meet expectations. If he doesn’t then it was a bad decision made by the 32nd best team in the NFL. The only win here is to meet expectations. Nothing absolutely nothing can change that. Because if it does, then the rest of the DT’s we have are worth way less. Meaning we fucked it again!
Umix10
Umix10

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:25 pm

JMP wrote:I wouldn't call it a desperation move at all.  It was an opportunity to get an immensely talented player at a bargain-basement price.  No risk whatsoever.

I remember people saying the same thing about Cecil Collins. How'd that one work out?

Turns out all that talk about character was just that, and the Fins are no different from any other NFL team who'll sign pretty much anybody.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by Umix10 Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:13 pm

Again I have to agree with everybody. But food for thought everyone is Immensely talented given the right circumstances. Miami has never got that out of any player. Far too long we were bringing in guys who were successful elsewhere or immensely talented elsewhere only to find that they were less than ideal in Miami. Like Kiko Alonso. My deepest thought is to not retread guys! It’s too just build on youth. Gamble on guys aren’t immensely talented but talented and hungry. Success to me for this team at this point in time is when opportunity meets preparation. Now based on that do you really think ndkemiche is all that?
Umix10
Umix10

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:33 pm

DolFan 316 wrote:Bleh. Feh. Meh.

Gotta disagree with you this time, Jmp (you too White1  Razz ). Just your typical desperation signing because nobody currently on the roster at that position is worth a damn. Good players aren't just sitting around in the FA pool the first week of August.

To be honest Miami needs another star on the team. Now for the fact that he has all these issues is a concern but still a good less stress deal.

For players still available
Eric Berry
Kam Chancellor
Tre Boston
Nick Perry

and that just the ones I know of. So there are still some players out there but not good for Miami or too much that Miami not trying to get them at the moment

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:48 am

DolFan 316 wrote:
JMP wrote:I wouldn't call it a desperation move at all.  It was an opportunity to get an immensely talented player at a bargain-basement price.  No risk whatsoever.

I remember people saying the same thing about Cecil Collins. How'd that one work out?

Turns out all that talk about character was just that, and the Fins are no different from any other NFL team who'll sign pretty much anybody.

Cecil Collins was a low risk that didn't pan out. Didn't hurt the team, and life went on.

Of course the Phins aren't different than other teams. It's a business. The name of the game is adding talent, and you take it when and where you find it.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:51 am

Umix10 wrote:Again I have to agree with everybody.  But food for thought  everyone is Immensely talented given the right circumstances.  Miami has never got that out of any player.  Far too long we were  bringing in guys who were successful elsewhere or immensely talented elsewhere only to find that they were less than ideal in Miami. Like Kiko Alonso.  My deepest thought is to not retread guys!  It’s too just build on youth.  Gamble on guys aren’t immensely talented but talented and hungry.  Success to me for this team at this point in time is when opportunity meets preparation.  Now based on that do you really think ndkemiche is all that?

The answer is, we don't know. No one does. That's why the team brought him in on a one-year "prove it" deal and not a big money, multi-year contract. This is a low risk opportunity to check out a guy that was once considered the best football player in the nation at the high school level.

The first step is getting healthy. After that, it's up to him - he'll either seize the opportunity or piss it away. Either way, it cost the Phins nothing.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Umix10 Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:44 pm

I agree JMP but with a little more urgency. You are correct that it was a low risk move, even lower if he gets cut before the final 53. If he makes the opening day roster and then doesn’t pan out then the risk is higher because he could’ve burned an opening day roster for someone who could have contributed. In essence, timing would determine the risk/reward. I just don’t think that the guy will give this team anything. I hope he does.

Umix10
Umix10

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:36 am

Umix10 wrote:I agree JMP but with a little more urgency.  You are correct that it was a low risk move, even lower if he gets cut before the final 53.  If he makes the opening day roster and then doesn’t pan out then the risk is higher because he could’ve burned an opening day roster for someone who could have contributed.  In essence, timing would determine the risk/reward.   I just don’t think that the guy will give this team anything.  I hope he does.  

The good news is, it's not like we're going to be cutting a superstar in order to keep him...likely just a bottom of the roster guy. But yeah, the jury is definitely out as to whether we'll get anything at all from Nkemdiche. Let's hope he gets healthy and in shape quickly so we can see what we have.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:14 pm

I'm sure he'll be fine, it'll all be fine.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:56 pm

Degarmo wrote:I'm sure he'll be fine, it'll all be fine.

Define "fine". Because he's been placed on the PUP list which as I understand it, means he won't even see the field this season at all. Yeah.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/N/NkemRo00.htm

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:04 pm

That's fine. Everything's fine.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:03 am

DolFan 316 wrote:
Degarmo wrote:I'm sure he'll be fine, it'll all be fine.

Define "fine". Because he's been placed on the PUP list which as I understand it, means he won't even see the field this season at all. Yeah.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/N/NkemRo00.htm

He's recovering from an ACL. The team will have to determine what to do with him before the season begins. I read somewhere that he could be ready by October, but we'll see. He is not out for the season.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by scotgif Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:46 am

I heard he is really out of shape and could not even complete the sprint portion of pregame warmups. Not a good sign.
scotgif
scotgif

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:07 pm

scotgif wrote:I heard he is really out of shape and could not even complete the sprint portion of pregame warmups. Not a good sign.

Ugh. Definitely not a good sign.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:49 am

ACL he probably couldn't run for quite a while. He'll get in shape. Or, he'll be released. Either way a good run at adding talent where we could use some.

Up to him to seize this chance, or blow it again.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:09 pm

Good news...Nkemdiche could be ready to play fairly soon.

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article235337327.html

Former Arizona Cardinals first-round pick Robert Nkemdiche, on the physically unable to perform list, becomes eligible to practice and play on Oct. 14, and defensive line coach Marion Hobby said he expects to see the talented defensive tackle by mid-to-late October or early November.

The hope is that Nkemdiche can have an impact similar to the one made so far by Taco Charlton, who has two sacks in his first two games since being claimed off waivers from Dallas.

Nkemdiche had 4.5 sacks and and 32 tackles in 10 games for the Cardinals last season (including six starts) before sustaining a torn ACL in December. Arizona released him on June 27, and the Dolphins claimed him Aug. 8.

Besides recovering from the knee injury, Nkemdiche also was instructed by the Dolphins to lose a lot of weight.

Hobby said Dolphins strength and conditioning coach Dave Puloka “is doing a great job with him, getting his weight down. [Nkemdiche] came here really heavy. He’s getting his weight down. I’m excited about him. He’s getting his body in better shape. I asked him personally, how’s that weight coming? I want to be the only extra large guy in the room.”

The Dolphins would not say if Nkemdiche — who was signed to a one-year, $720,000 contract — has received full medical clearance after December’s knee surgery, but Hobby said he expects to see him on the field in the coming weeks and “he’s feeling better. Every time he sees me, he’s making a swim move on me, starting to feel it better. He’s a kid I’ve known for a long time, since high school days. Followed him through Ole Miss, to the Cardinals. Once healthy, everybody knows he’s got that big-time ability.”

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:34 pm

That good hoping that he really helps out this defense

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:41 pm

Smart. Stockpile talent that has disappointed, over time bring in talent and continue to compete for playing time.

For talented squads this makes little sense. For us, great approach I love it!
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:48 am

So I wonder if he is able to play against the Redskins

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:38 pm

rightchea wrote:So I wonder if he is able to play against the Redskins

He can't practice till October 14, so maybe he can be ready for at least limited snaps when we play the Bills on Oct. 20.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:37 am

Well we get to see what he is like against a good OL and not whatever the Redskins have

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down