The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Phins sign WR Robert Foster

5 posters

Go down

Phins sign WR Robert Foster Empty Phins sign WR Robert Foster

Post by JMP Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:02 pm

OK, so here's a signing I don't really understand.  You might remember Foster as a rookie with the Bills in 2018...he was a speed demon that really made an impact, catching 27 passes at an amazing 20 yards a catch and scoring a few TDs.  Good size at 6'2", 196.  But for some reason, he disappeared after 2018, barely playing in 2019 and then playing even less with Washington in 2020.  I don't know what his deal is.

Foster played with Tua at Alabama, but other than that I'm not sure where he fits.  Unless he's a speed guy to compete with Grant???

Last edited by JMP on Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:58 pm; edited 1 time in total

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Phins sign WR Robert Foster Empty Re: Phins sign WR Robert Foster

Post by JMP Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:51 am

Reading some stuff online, it seems like Foster could replace Mack Hollins on special teams as a gunner. So that makes more sense. But, we'll see.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:33 am

More bleh.

I was thinking they were gonna be conservative, but this is almost like they have an ulterior motive?

Maybe save cash for the potential trade for Watson?

finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Mar 18, 2021 2:05 pm

finfanatic wrote:More bleh.

I was thinking they were gonna be conservative, but this is almost like they have an ulterior motive?

Maybe save cash for the potential trade for Watson?

Absolutely nothing to do with the alleged sexual assaulter Deshaun Watson. No ulterior motives...it has everything to do with avoiding these absolutely absurd contracts that other teams are giving out. Curtis Samuel just got almost $30 million guaranteed, and a washed up Patrick Peterson just got $10 million. Those deals make zero sense, and I'm glad the Phins aren't playing that game.

The Phins have quietly improved their roster in several key areas (OL, DL, LB, QB, RB/FB, CB, special teams), without overspending. They still have some holes for sure, but those holes don't need to be filled by carelessly throwing huge $$ around.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:06 am

I can see both sides of it. On the one hand, teams still insisting on throwing money at any old above-average player despite a shrinking cap is literal insanity, not to mention this approach has almost never been proven to actually make teams better. If anything it makes far more teams who try it worse. On the other hand, I'm failing to see how any of the players signed so far will actually help this team win games. They seem more like guys signed to fill out the roster than anything else. If this team had Brady it would make more sense but they don't.

The bottom line is that previous seasons caused the player FA market to be absurdly overinflated (seems familiar, almost as if this has happened in multiple other markets before, hmmm...) and now players and agents have gotten so used to being paid 5 times what they're worth that it'll take at least 2 more years for the market to correct itself and get back to where it should've been all along. It's one thing for a Lamborghini to cost six figures but when your average Ford vehicle starts costing the same, that's a problem.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:00 am

DolFan 316 wrote:I'm failing to see how any of the players signed so far will actually help this team win games. They seem more like guys signed to fill out the roster than anything else.

I disagree. Fuller is a huge upgrade at WR (when he plays). We upgraded the center position. We upgraded nickle corner. We upgraded ILB. We upgraded RB. We upgraded the DL rotation. That's 6 positions, all of which will have a direct impact on how good this team is in 2021. And the draft is still over a month away. Grier has put this team in excellent position, and he's done it without handing out stupid contracts.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:19 pm

My assumption is that they're using free agency to fill holes and are going to be building through the draft, which is an excellent way to do it, IF YOU CAN DRAFT THE RIGHT GUYS.

Since we're channeling each other, I'm giving you my best 316, circa FinNation.

Degarmo

DolFan 316 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Killah Sith Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:23 pm

Bring him in and see if what he has for our team. No big deal. I doubt he's on the final 53 man roster.

Killah Sith

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down