The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Article about how Phins are emphasizing scheme diversity on OL

2 posters

Go down

Article about how Phins are emphasizing scheme diversity on OL Empty Article about how Phins are emphasizing scheme diversity on OL

Post by JMP Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:23 pm

Pretty cool (if short) read:

https://www.phinsnews.com/miami-dolphins-news-phins-sign-webb-van-ginkel-to-i-r-scheme-advantage/

Given Webb (6’7” 331lbs), Davis (6’6” 321lbs), Prince (6’7′ 305lbs), and Davenports’ (6’7′ 325lbs) comparable heights we have the prototype Flores is looking for at Tackle.

Very tall and kinda’ big is the name of the game for the Dolphins Tackles.

This rangy size at Tackle means that they aren’t a liability in any scheme. While they are all shield blockers rather than maulers, they are fast enough to get outside and big enough to wall off.

Also, their long reach can generate a second or two more for the quarterback to make their read by riding pass rusher out a few feet extra. In a quick rhythm passing style, this is a big difference… if the interior line does their job and allows the QB space to step up.

In preseason Flores has run Zone Stretch and Inside Zone running schemes (I might have noticed man-blocking as well). The Patriots run a similar diverse blocking scheme. So I expect nothing different in Miami. Most teams choose one scheme and use it as their primary blocking style. This scheme flexibility helps the offense maintain the initiative as opposing defenses have more to prepare for.

Also, as a play-by-play strength, Linebackers and D-linemen are never exactly sure what to expect. This can make the defenders tentative. Every drop of advantage helps, and this Dolphins O-line will need it.

But, this added flexibility increases the challenge to the O-linemen to execute consistently with the diversity of techniques. Can these Phins O-linemen pull it off?

I really love the emphasis on being scheme-diverse. Such a breath of fresh air after Gase and his staff, who were so damn bull-headed and refused to do anything different. Looks like under Flores we'll be scheming based on our opponent each week, and we're trying to stockpile players that can do a variety of different things. There's another article this week (I think in the Herald) talking about a similar mindset on defense - where Charles Harris has played LB and DE, and has lined up on both the right and left side. If you want to be on this team, you better be versatile!

Obviously we are talent-challenged across the board this season...but this stratgey will pay big dividends in the long run as the roster continues to improve year after year. So cool to see this team have an actual plan.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Article about how Phins are emphasizing scheme diversity on OL Empty Re: Article about how Phins are emphasizing scheme diversity on OL

Post by HalCHorn Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:17 pm

I liked getting Davenport out of this deal, and with two years remaining on a 4 year, $3 million rookie deal. Webb is clearly on the downside, but we needed someone provide depth after the deal.

If we have to endure a 1989 Cowboys or 2000 Patriots season to get to the good stuff, I'm OK with that. Certainly isn't any worse than another year of Gase or Philbin could have been.

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Article about how Phins are emphasizing scheme diversity on OL Empty Re: Article about how Phins are emphasizing scheme diversity on OL

Post by HalCHorn Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:01 pm

Along those lines, Davis just got a 3 year extension today. $15 million.

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:55 am

HalCHorn wrote:Along those lines, Davis just got a 3 year extension today.  $15 million.

Smart move. Davis is a young versatile linemen and that's a crazy team-friendly deal for sure.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down