The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why I like Head Coach Flores

5 posters

Go down

Why I like Head Coach Flores Empty Why I like Head Coach Flores

Post by rightchea Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:16 pm

Kyle Crabs wrote:The Miami Dolphins dropped their 5th consecutive game on Sunday to open the 2019 season — a 17-16 decision at the hands of the Washington Redskins. And while Miami was lifeless on offense for 45 minutes, Dolphins head coach Brian Flores should be applauded for his aggressiveness throughout the game to stay hot in pursuit of the team’s first win of 2019. Because Flores didn’t take this loss lying down — he pulled out all the stops in hopes of a big breakthrough on the field.
Remember — the Dolphins faked a punt on the Washington 45-yard line, direct snapping the ball to Kalen Ballage, who was sent in motion across the set. Miami also converted a 4th and short in this contest. The Dolphins tried to steal a possession at one point with a successful onside kick attempt — but a penalty nixed the Dolphins’ recovery of the kick and forced a re-kick, which was sent deep.

https://dolphinswire.usatoday.com/2019/10/15/dolphins-brian-flores-showed-promising-aggression-versus-washington/

Even though I wanted Flores to go for the tie and get Miami a win in OT. But then again this makes sense....

wrote:Remember Adam Gase’s play-calling late in the game against the Colts in 2018? Remember how Joe Philbin felt “a little queasy” late against Green Bay and mandated a running play on a critical 3rd and 9 late in the game? Those Dolphins lost both of those games. How many times did Tony Sparano’s group settle for long field goals?
Flores is coaching to win. His roster isn’t built for that — but we should be applauding the aggressive mentality to go out and win games, not give them away.

This is a great reason to like Flores. Miami firing him shows that Ross is a yellow belly and doesn't want to win.

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Why I like Head Coach Flores Empty Re: Why I like Head Coach Flores

Post by JMP Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:33 pm

Yeah, the play call on the 2-point conversion was awful...but I was absolutely on board with going for it.  We're a winless team, at home, momentum on our side - win the game!

I thought the coaching was very good overall yesterday. No complaints from me.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:40 pm

It's Flores' job to win with the players they give him.

It's Grier's job (this season) to give him players to lose with, while pretending he's not.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:15 am

Degarmo wrote:It's Flores' job to win with the players they give him.

It's Grier's job (this season) to give him players to lose with, while pretending he's not.

That's true, well until the off-season then Miami needs to go all in finding players to make it to the superbowl

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:17 pm

Serious question: Did Grier "miss" on drafting Dieter or is it too early to tell?

One thing is certain. Grier MUST draft far better than his predecessors, or this rebuild is dead in the water. All those draft picks will be of little help if we're drafting the wrong guys.

Maybe I'm wrong, but isn't it reasonable to assume a team SHOULD be able to draft and develop an effective starting guard in the third round of the draft?

I'm not trying to panic here, but would LOVE to see some signs we are turning the corner on drafting the right players...
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:39 pm

I agree with your trepidation, White. Dieter may be a product of his shitty environment, but he may just as well be bad. I think a good look at his technique and assignments would let us know what we need to about him, but I'll just wait for Merc because he'll see more than I will in a third the time Wink.

That's the thing with these blow-up-rebuilds. If Grier isn't the guy, this is not only a waste of time, but an assurance we're going to be Bottom 7 for the next decade.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:13 pm

white1 wrote:Serious question: Did Grier "miss" on drafting Dieter or is it too early to tell?

One thing is certain.  Grier MUST draft far better than his predecessors, or this rebuild is dead in the water.  All those draft picks will be of little help if we're drafting the wrong guys.  

Maybe I'm wrong, but isn't it reasonable to assume a team SHOULD be able to draft and develop an effective starting guard in the third round of the draft?

I'm not trying to panic here, but would LOVE to see some signs we are turning the corner on drafting the right players...

I'm in the "too early to tell" camp with Dieter. He's coming off by far his worst game of the season, but in all the games before that Redskins game I saw some good and some bad. He's still learning to do things he was never asked to do at Wisconsin, particularly in pass pro, so he is a work in progress. Part of the problem is he's a rookie playing between a poor/mediocre LT and a mediocre C - so he's really not getting any help..

I too would love to get merc's take, but I see him as a key piece if/when we are able to put together a legit OL. I've seen enough good to think he has a bright future...I'm not talking All Pro, but a solid dependable lineman.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:32 pm

The part where it's hard for me to judge Dieter is the fact that more than anywhere else on the field the OL is a unit, a team. It's hard to develop on this line. He's trying to get his feet under him in a situation where the guys left and right of him are struggling too, so it's difficult to learn, and one mistake looks massive where everyone is running around blind.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:34 am

Degarmo wrote:The part where it's hard for me to judge Dieter is the fact that more than anywhere else on the field the OL is a unit, a team.  It's hard to develop on this line.  He's trying to get his feet under him in a situation where the guys left and right of him are struggling too, so it's difficult to learn, and one mistake looks massive where everyone is running around blind.

Yep, exactly. Really difficult to evaluate these guys.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:21 am

white1 wrote:Serious question: Did Grier "miss" on drafting Dieter or is it too early to tell?

Dieter will be fine. yes, he's had to deal with some rookie adjustments, but the bigger issue for him has been the revolving door at LT and even worse was Kilgore's play. i really think some of the knocks or mistakes "credited" to Dieter were Kilgore's fault (missed assignments where it ended up looking like it was Dieter's man when in fact it was Kilgore). it is true that Dieter isn't the most laterally mobile OG, but when it comes to keeping pads down and grinding forward, he's pretty darn good.

The Miami Dolphins were forced into their fifth different starting offensive line alignment of the season Sunday in a 31-21 loss to the Buffalo Bills and, somehow, it yielded the Dolphins’ best blocking performance of the season against one of the NFL’s most stout defenses.

Still, the performance was certainly the most positive development yet for the battered and beleaguered unit, and it came among some of the least favorable circumstances imaginable. Boehm made his first start at center in place of injured captain Danie Kilgore... To his right were rookie guard Shaq Calhoun...

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nfl/miami-dolphins/article236493973.html

hmm, let's see. the o-line had its best day against a tough defensive front. Kilgore was out and the Phins finally listened to me and re-inserted Calhoun in the starting lineup.

mercury22nathan wrote:what was the point of letting Calhoun, a young developing rookie, take all the snaps in preseason only to then supplant him at the last minute...

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com/t1738-game-thoughts-week-1-ravens-at-dolphins

coincidence? i think not.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:59 am

This kid Boehm has impressed now at both RG and C, and it seems like he makes the rookies around him play better - first Prince and now Dieter and Calhoun. I think I'd keep him at center moving forward, even when Kilgore is healthy.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:31 am

Mistakes may have been made, but to the staff's credit they did not stop looking for the right mix. They may have finally found one that will work moving forward. If they stay stable, we will know they've found the right mix.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:30 pm

To be honest, I'm not sure Kilgore is ever really healthy. Sometimes these guys on the line are just in a state of perpetual injury maintenance. They get injured and then never fully recover. Jake Long comes to mind.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down