The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Head coach search

+6
scotgif
HalCHorn
white1
DolFan 316
rightchea
CarsonChris
10 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Head coach search Empty Head coach search

Post by CarsonChris Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:57 am

I hear we are showing interest in Kris Richard. He coached the legion of boom in Seattle.

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Head coach search Empty Re: Head coach search

Post by rightchea Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:13 am

seen that as well.

Sent from Topic'it App

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:28 am

Not a big fan of defensive guys as head coaches. They're the ones who always punt on 4th down in the first 3-plus quarters no matter what the distance and situation, never go for two through the first 3-plus quarters no matter how nonsensical it is not to, and think football is the same now as it was in the 70s. I just saw an ex-defensive coach make all those scaredy-cat decisions last night and more.

Then again whenever this team hires an offense-based coach they somehow always get the absolute bottom of the barrel, so...

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:56 am

I’m kind of pulling for a minority coach.

Failing that, I’d love to see Campbell or Rizzi get the job.

My preference would be a first time head coach. Not really excited about a retread. I was very glad to find out Rex Ryan not a candidate. Fangio, Richards the guy in NE all sound fine to me. I’m good with pretty much any option I’ve seen to this point.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:05 pm

I think the new coach will have a rookie QB. Makes me think we will be looking at hiring a proven offensive coordinator that does good grooming rookies.

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:08 pm

white1 wrote:I’m kind of pulling for a minority coach.

Why? Not trying to race-bait, just genuinely curious. Especially since minority coaches have proven recently they can fail just as completely as white ones.

I don't care of the next coach has green, pink or purple skin as long as he does the opposite of every Fins coach this century. And late last century, come to think of it.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:09 pm

Flores, Campbell and Richard are intriguing candidates to me.

As for Grier, well, let's see how it goes. At least the structure is finally right. We've hired a GM with final say, and if Grier makes good decisions, it's a win. If he doesn't, we'll have a new GM in a few years.

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:13 pm

Thinking Shane Waldron is worth a look. Currently McVay’s right hand man. Was QC coach at Washington when they had their best offensive output a couple years ago. He also has ties to Belichick

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:29 pm

“Why? Not trying to race-bait, just genuinely curious. Especially since minority coaches have proven recently they can fail just as completely as white ones. ”

It just feels right. Never hired one before. I guess I’m still feeling pride at having the only minority GM why not build on it.

Three of our interviews are black coaches, good chance we choose one.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:36 pm

white1 wrote:“Why? Not trying to race-bait, just genuinely curious. Especially since minority coaches have proven recently they can fail just as completely as white ones. ”

It just feels right. Never hired one before. I guess I’m still feeling pride at having the only minority GM why not build on it.

Three of our interviews are black coaches, good chance we choose one.

Okay, I can see that.

I'm looking at some of these names and I don't know whether those guys are black or white TBH. And I don't care. I just want the best one.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:37 pm

Totally agree!
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:41 pm

Bieniemy is a minority candidate. Hear Miami has reached out to him and so have the Jets

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by scotgif Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:15 pm

I don’t know if Bienemy is another gase. He has Mahomes that he is getting credit for and boy wonder had Peyton. Doesn’t Andy Ried pretty much run the KC offense, or is Bienemy really a big part of the success?
scotgif
scotgif

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:31 am

If we go first-time head coach, I would love Eric Bienemy.  While he probably needs a bit more seasoning, I think he will interview very well and get a head coaching job this offseason.  I've watched interviews with him, and I really like his style.  Intelligent and respectful, and he exhudes confidence.  Detail-oriented, strong work ethic.  He's a motivator and players respect him.  He's learned under Andy Reid, which is a big plus.  Reid can't say enough good things about him.  And, EB has coached Adrian Peterson and Kareem Hunt...which tells me that he understands the importance of building a strong OL and using the running game.  With the Chiefs, he supposedly has played a big role in the development of Pat Mahomes (he gives the play to Mahomes on each down), and he is heavily involved in game-planning each week.  I'm all in...he's my top choice.  

#2 would be Kris Richards.  Players and coaches seem to rave about him whenever his name is mentioned, and he's done some rock solid work with the secondaries in Seattle and Dallas.  

If we go re-tread, I'm not sure what I'd do.  Mike Munchak might top my list - tough and knows OL - but his stint as Titans' HC wasn't exactly good.  

I don't want Vic Fangio as a head coach.  He's 60 years old and has been coaching in the NFL since 1986...yet never had a head coaching job.  Why?  That's a huge red flag for me.

Trading for John Harbaugh would be the best-case scenario, even with losing draft picks, but I just don't see it happening.

For the record, I'd prefer a more experienced Head Coach, but given what's out there at the moment, a first-time HC looks like the way to go.

Last edited by JMP on Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:32 pm; edited 1 time in total

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:51 am

Just heard that Kliff Kingsbury (currently OC at USC) will interview with the Cards and Jets. I didn't realize he was on the NFL radar yet, but if he's available I'd definitely have him at the top of the list. Brilliant offensive mind.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:02 am

BTW - with any of these first-time head coaches, the key is: what kind of staff can they build?  That could be the difference between success and failure.  

I'm guessing guys like Bienemy and Richards, as former players, have strong contacts throughout the NFL, so that isn't much of a concern for me with those two.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Umix10 Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:53 pm

Don’t matter to me who ithe hell it is. It could be woman for all I care. I just want to be able to watch a game and not turn it off after the 1st qtr.

The coaching search should focus on the game plan to change the culture ON the field not so much OFF. My first interview question would be 3 days before your interview. Here are 3 games of the 2018 season, what do you see is the biggest problem? How would address the situation? How do you measure progress? How long do you feel progress should be made? If you don’t get relevant answers to what Grier thinks, kick the guy down the road!!!!
Umix10
Umix10

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:15 pm

I'm really warming toward the idea of Kris Richard. The more I read/watch about him, the more I think he's ready. Because Bienemy probably needs a bit more seasoning, I think I might have Richard as my #1 at this point.

I have a feeling that Richard and Grier are more likely to be on the same page in terms of what they look for in schemes and players, so he may be a perfect fit. But...can we get him???

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:34 pm

Agree. Our job is not high on the list. Plus Grier has total control.

If Grier feels like he aligns with one of these guys he’s going to have to pivot to sales mode and work to convince they can build a great team together.

I’m reading a lot of bullshit about “tank” that’s not how I read the situation. Not signing anymore Julius Thomas or Robert Quinn or Akeem Spence or Hayes or Sitton is not tanking. It’s smart.

We don’t have to dump our young talent like Tunsil and Howard. In fact I’d sign them long term now using the cap space we create by dumping older expensive players.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:13 pm

white1 wrote:
I’m reading a lot of bullshit about “tank” that’s not how I read the situation. Not signing anymore Julius Thomas or Robert Quinn or Akeem Spence or Hayes or Sitton is not tanking. It’s smart.

We don’t have to dump our young talent like Tunsil and Howard. In fact I’d sign them long term now using the cap space we create by dumping older expensive players.

Exactly. It's not about "tanking" (although landing Tua would be AWESOME) - it's about building a championship-caliber team. I love the idea of getting younger, and avoiding high-priced, injury-plagued free agents. That alone would be a step in the right direction. And yes - part of that is making sure Tunsil and Howard are locked up long-term. No more dumping solid home-grown talent and replacing it with aging vets (Olivier Vernon - Mario Williams, Jay Ajayi - Frank Gore, Jarvis Landry - Danny Amendola, etc.)

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:26 pm

The irony of all this is that if the Fins actually HAD tanked earlier, they'd likely be one of the top AFC teams right now and might have even usurped the Pats, who are now just being gifted division titles and byes without even having to do anything.

What I don't like is that Ross and Grier seem to be settling into the same old pattern of hiring first-time coaches based on them doing a good job in situations where anybody on this forum could've done a good job. I also don't like that apparently every other team who recently fired its coach is interviewing multiple guys, but the Fins don't seem to be holding any interviews at all if the bottom of my TV screen is to be believed.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:26 pm

I would prefer a more experienced head coach over a first-timer - but the problem is that most (all?) of the currently available retreads are a waste of time. Unless we can get a Harbaugh, I think the best available coaches at the moment are all first-timers.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:03 am

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/armando-salguero/article223900295.html#storylink=cpy
Armando wrote:
The Miami Dolphins were scheduled to meet with Patriots defensive play-caller Brian Flores somewhere in New England Thursday evening, have dinner, then get into an in-depth interview Friday morning. And after that session is complete the team is scheduled to meet with Chiefs offensive coordinator Eric Bieniemy Friday afternoon and evening somewhere in Kansas City.

The Bieniemy interview could leak into Saturday morning depending on several factors.

All this according to a club source familiar with the team’s plans.

the timing of the Flores interview followed by the Bieniemy interview begs a comparison. No, not of the two men necessarily.

But of their background and training.

And if their coaching background from which they come is any measure based on history, it suggests Bieniemy is the better candidate.

Why?

Well, Flores is a product of the Bill Belichick coaching tree.

And Bieniemy is a product of the Andy Reid coaching tree.

And while Belichick has been the much more successful coach and won five Super Bowls, his coaching tree is not too impressive when one considers footnote things like results.

Reid has been a very good coach over the years and has the No. 1 seed in the AFC this season. But he has not won a Super Bowl as a head coach, much less five.

Still, the Reid coaching tree is a staggering, impressive Redwood if one measures success.

And Belichick’s tree is a Dwarf Willow (I looked it up, it’s tiny).

The Reid tree includes Doug Pederson, Ron Rivera, Todd Bowles, Sean McDermott, Matt Nagy, and John Harbaugh.

Pederson has won a Super Bowl.

Harbaugh has won a Super Bowl.

Rivera took his team to a Super Bowl.

Nagy is in his first season as the Chicago Bears coach and they are in the playoffs.

According to the Kansas City Star, a Miami Herald sister newspaper, 67 percent of Reid assistants hired as head coaches took their teams to the playoffs by January 2018. Nagy has obviously increased that percentage.

And then there’s Belichick’s coaching sprout.

Nine of his former assistant went on to become NFL head coaches. That’s excellent. They are:

Nick Saban with the Dolphins.

Josh McDaniels with the Broncos.

Al Groh with the Jets.

Eric Mangini with the Jets and the Browns.

Matt Patricia with the Lions.

Mike Vrabel with the Titans.

Romeo Crennel with the Browns and Chiefs.

Jim Schwartz with the Lions.

Bill O’Brien with the Texans.

And none of these have won a Super Bowl.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:56 am

JMP wrote:And yes - part of that is making sure Tunsil and Howard are locked up long-term.

this might've required its own thread, but here it is anyways.

Howard was (or is, i'm not sure) quickly becoming one of my favorite Dolphins and there is no denying he was (is?) a star in the making. he was clearly a force this year and while i'm not ready to call him shutdown yet (he's close), his penchant for interceptions was a bright spot on a very dim defense. but... is anyone else concerned about signing him long term at this point? as a rookie, he had two knee surgeries and missed a total of nine regular season games. and while this year it looks like he finally put it all together, he missed the final four games and required, you guessed it, yet another knee surgery - which coincidentally, he has still not recovered from.

and we're not talking just any run of the mill extension...

Xavien Howard in just 12 games did enough to earn a Pro Bowl nod and win team MVP honors.

He deserved both, picking off seven passes and establishing himself as a shutdown corner.

So what does Howard, who missed the final four games with a knee injury that still is not 100 percent, want to do for an encore?

Sign the richest contract in league history awarded to a cornerback.

“I think I deserve it,” Howard told the Miami Herald Sunday. “My numbers speak for themselves. Yes, I want to be paid like the best corner in the league.”

Right now, Washington’s Josh Norman has that designation. He signed a five-year, $75 million contract with the Redskins in 2016.

So $15 million annually is expected to be the floor when Howard’s representatives begin extension talks this offseason.

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nfl/miami-dolphins/article223750025.html

so, do you pay him that? do you make him the cornerstone of the defense despite the fact that he may or may not give you close to a full season? after the third knee surgery in a young three year career, will he be free and clear of knee problems going forward? its going to take a boatload to extend Howard, how do you weigh the injury history? at what point do you risk letting him play out his current contract and then try to sign or franchise him?

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:07 pm

Great post, merc - a lot to consider for sure.

I actually feel better about extending Howard than I do Tunsil...Tunsil's drug history really worries me, and I keep waiting to hear that he failed a drug test.

On Howard, this decision would be much easier if we had drafted Tre'Davious White instead of Charles Harris. Then we could easily move on from Howard - preferably trading him - with the knowledge that we have a better CB in-house to take his spot. But, with absolutely zero starting-caliber CBs on the roster, it makes it very difficult to let Howard walk.

The injuries are a concern, as is his streaky play...he's not great against fast #1 receivers. And this may be a bit picky, but many (most?) of his INTs are of the "stand there and catch it" variety, really requiring no skill on his part.

But all things considered, I think Howard has to be a part of this rebuild as long as the money is doable.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next