The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dolphins draft priorities

+5
DolFan 316
rightchea
JMP
HalCHorn
CarsonChris
9 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Dolphins draft priorities  - Page 2 Empty Re: Dolphins draft priorities

Post by Umix10 Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:31 pm

We have draft capital. Burrow/Tua should be the pick. If neither one is there for whatever reason, then you go all in on Chase Young. Some of you may not agree, but I think this kid looks like a young Cam Wake. You have the potential to get a game changing edge guy. With 2 more first rounders next season we should have the same type of capital to get a QB.

Playmakers is what we need with that first pick no matter what position.
Umix10
Umix10

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:14 am

Umix10 wrote:We have draft capital.  Burrow/Tua should be the pick.  If neither one is there for whatever reason, then you go all in on Chase Young.  Some of you may not agree, but I think this kid looks like a young Cam Wake.  You have the potential to get a game changing edge guy.  With 2 more first rounders next season we should have the same type of capital to get a QB.  

Not sure I'd trade up for Chase Young...he's a stud, but I don't think we need to spend multiple picks on one pass rusher.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:39 am

JMP wrote:Not sure I'd trade up for Chase Young...he's a stud, but I don't think we need to spend multiple picks on one pass rusher.

For once we agree on something regarding this next draft, it's a post-holiday miracle! Very Happy cheers Razz Laughing

If Tua announces he's staying today I am advocating a trade down, and I HATE trading down.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:43 am

Umix10 wrote:We have draft capital.  Burrow/Tua should be the pick.  If neither one is there for whatever reason, then you go all in on Chase Young.  Some of you may not agree, but I think this kid looks like a young Cam Wake.  You have the potential to get a game changing edge guy.  With 2 more first rounders next season we should have the same type of capital to get a QB.  

Wouldn't trade up for Young and I wouldn't reach for Tua until you know that he is 100%. The other issue that I have with drafting Tua so high is the ability to reinjuring that hip would be costly especially if you are relying on Rosen as a backup.

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:01 am

DolFan 316 wrote:
JMP wrote:Not sure I'd trade up for Chase Young...he's a stud, but I don't think we need to spend multiple picks on one pass rusher.

For once we agree on something regarding this next draft, it's a post-holiday miracle! Very Happy cheers Razz Laughing

If Tua announces he's staying today I am advocating a trade down, and I HATE trading down.

I think I would trade down too if Tua isn't available...so we agree on that too! Cool

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:06 am

rightchea wrote:

Wouldn't trade up for Young and I wouldn't reach for Tua until you know that he is 100%. The other issue that I have with drafting Tua so high is the ability to reinjuring that hip would be costly especially if you are relying on Rosen as a backup.  

No one will know if Tua is 100% till next offseason, after he rehabs and fully heals. That doesn't change the fact that he's going near the top of the 2020 draft if he declares.

An injury to any QB we draft will be costly. What if we draft Herbert and he fractures his collarbone again? Injuries are part of the game - you never know if and when they will occur.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:50 am

Oh, I didn't know that he fractured his collarbone.

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:25 pm

rightchea wrote:Oh, I didn't know that he fractured his collarbone.

I think it was 2017. I don't see it as a big deal - just pointing out that all these guys have questions.

My bottom line is this: taking Burrow out of the mix since he's going at #1, the difference between Tua and everyone else is enormous. Guys like Herbert and Fromm aren't worthy to be mentioned in the same sentence...they just aren't at Tua's level, at all. Yes, taking Tua is a risk...but every pick is a risk.

Let's not forget - Miami didn't sign Brees because of his injured shoulder...I don't want to make that mistake again. Sometimes you have to take a big risk to try to achieve greatness...I'm willing to take that risk for a potential franchise QB. Tua is the guy I want to be the 'face of the franchise'...intelligent, confident, well-spoken.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:28 pm

My issue with the Brees/Culpepper was the injury itself. you have a big dude that has a knee injury that is different than having a QB that has a shoulder injury that is almost half Culpepper's size. Yeah, both were great QB at that time but Culpepper had a lot more weight on his knee that made it harder for him to be at 100%.

Not saying that Tua wouldn't be a great addition but if we looking longterm and Fitz willing to stay another year until Tua is 100%, then I would be gun hoe but if Miami is trying to rely on Rosen it gonna be another rough year for Miami.

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:02 pm

rightchea wrote:My issue with the Brees/Culpepper was the injury itself. you have a big dude that has a knee injury that is different than having a QB that has a shoulder injury that is almost half Culpepper's size. Yeah, both were great QB at that time but Culpepper had a lot more weight on his knee that made it harder for him to be at 100%.

Not saying that Tua wouldn't be a great addition but if we looking longterm and Fitz willing to stay another year until Tua is 100%, then I would be gun hoe but if Miami is trying to rely on Rosen it gonna be another rough year for Miami.

If I remember correctly, the Miami doctors weren't sure that Brees would ever be able to throw a football again - and they were reasonably sure that Culpepper's knee would be fine. That was really the deciding factor. Obviously, they were as wrong as wrong could be about Brees!

I get your point, but no matter who we draft, they are going to be battling with Rosen for the #2 job. Guys like Herbert and Fromm are not day one starters, and probably won't be ahead of Rosen, at least early. So no matter what, we have to rely on Fitz as the starter and Rosen as the backup (unless Rosen gets traded...which IMO is very possible.)

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:44 pm

If we get a guy that has to battle for more than 2 weeks of mini-camp with Rosen, then we've made a poor choice.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:54 am

If Miami drafts Tua then right tackle becomes our top priority.

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:03 am

After RT we will be looking at either RB or a guard/C.

Tua, with his injury history would dictate the team priority. That becomes protecting Tua from injury. Right tackle to protect the blind side and either someone to hand off to or another blocker. Protection and getting the ball away quickly will become priorities. We gave up the most sacks in the NFL and that can’t happen if you want your franchise player to be a long term solution. No running game means defenses can key in on the QB.

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:18 am

Good posts, CC. Agree. With a left-handed QB, we'll DEFINITELY need to upgrade from Davis at RT.

But even if we don't get Tua, protecting the QB and building a running game will be key for whoever is behind center.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:26 am

If Grier was envisioning Tua as the eventual starter LT wasn’t as much a priority. Maybev that’s why we let Tunsil go?

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:56 pm

CarsonChris wrote:If Grier was envisioning Tua as the eventual starter LT  wasn’t as much a priority. Maybev that’s why we let Tunsil go?

Maybe, but I think it had more to do with how they view Tunsil. He's good, but is he a $16+ million a year good when he hits free agency in 2021? For that matter, is he even worth the $10 million he's due to get in 2020? Personally, I'd rather have the draft picks we got. Even though he made the Pro Bowl this year (based on people knowing his name due to the trade), I don't think he's worth that kind of money. He's got more penalties than any other OL in the league, he's an inconsistent pass protector and he's not a great run blocker. We can do better at a much lower cost.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2