The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dolphins draft pick slots are now set

3 posters

Go down

Dolphins draft pick slots are now set Empty Dolphins draft pick slots are now set

Post by JMP Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:40 pm

I lost the link, but I just saw that all of our 14 draft pick slots are now official. Here is the list:

1st round (5th)
1st round (18th) - From Steelers
1st round (26th) - From Texans
2nd round (39th)
2nd round (56th) - From Saints
3rd round (70th)
4th round (141st) - Compensatory
5th round (153rd) - From Dolphins through Cardinals (this was the pick we traded for Rosen, then got back for Drake)
5th round (154th) - From Jaguars through Steelers
5th round (173rd) - From Ravens through Rams
6th round (185th)
7th round (227th) - From Colts
7th round (246th) - From Chiefs
7th round (251st) - Compensatory

Six picks in the top 100 is pretty sweet! Having all these picks gives us tons of flexibility - I expect all sorts of wheeling and dealing to be done!

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Dolphins draft pick slots are now set Empty Re: Dolphins draft pick slots are now set

Post by rightchea Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:47 am

I know that a lot of people hated this strategy but I think this is what Miami needed to do for a while now. Clean up shop and recreate the process.

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Dolphins draft pick slots are now set Empty Re: Dolphins draft pick slots are now set

Post by JMP Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:32 am

rightchea wrote:I know that a lot of people hated this strategy but I think this is what Miami needed to do for a while now. Clean up shop and recreate the process.  

cheers cheers cheers cheers

EXACTLY!!!

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:08 pm

Draft picks are wonderful and all, but some folks could get three or four times as many picks as others and still end up picking crap....i.e. Dave Wannstedt. Dude would crawl over carrion and broken glass to make the wrong pick when there were ten others that were better.

So, if Grier and Flores do not get some IMPACT from these draft picks, it will not matter what strategy they followed IMO.

Anybody can trade away every valuable player they have for picks, and ship starters out and assemble a team of no-names to stink it up. But that only works once. if you blow the picks you got from the "everything must go sale" you are left with a team of stinkers, and no way to get all the additional picks you need.

So, you traded and dealt players for picks.... After that, you have to do something that is VERY HARD to do repeatedly; draft well. Some GMs, and Coaches have the knack for it, and even then, they do not get it right every time. Look at Belichick drafting WRs!

This draft is going to clarify our opinions on Grier's process I think. Is he going for impact, or is he playing it safe. Is he swinging for the fences (franchise QB, HOF RB, Pro Bowl DB, DE, etc...) or is he looking to get players that will start and play well for their rookie deals and then be shipped off when they want market value?

We shall see.

finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:49 pm

I get what you're saying FF - but this is all part of the plan. You acquire as many picks as possible to give you flexibility and options - you can trade picks to target specific players you want in the draft, you can trade picks to acquire veterans from other teams, and most importantly you ensure that you have a constant pipeline of inexpensive players coming in to help manage your salary cap and build for the future.

Obviously you still have to pick the right players - that is true whether you have 4 picks or 20 picks. But the plan is a sound one, and it is one that the top NFL franchises have used to remain competitive year after year.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:06 pm

True, but the point was, having traded away essentially everyone who had any trade value, that option is now closed.... they have what they have, and the only way to acquire more picks next year is to trade some of the picks this year.

Hopefully, they won't NEED as many picks next year, and can start trading down to acquire picks in the upcoming drafts.
finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:47 pm

finfanatic wrote:True, but the point was, having traded away essentially everyone who had any trade value, that option is now closed.... they have what they have, and the only way to acquire more picks next year is to trade some of the picks this year.

Hopefully, they won't NEED as many picks next year, and can start trading down to acquire picks in the upcoming drafts.

Yep, good point. We already have a couple extra picks for 2021, so that's a good start.

To your point - I do think we'll trade a pick or two this year to get another 2021 pick. And there will always be players to trade, too - not for the huge bounty we got for Tunsil, but at least something of value. The Patriots manage to have a bunch of extra picks every year, so it can be done.

It's exciting to see the Phins taking a new direction...we'll see if it works, but at least it's something different!

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:22 pm

I don't know, Miami seem to be pretty clear on getting players so that they can be better this up coming season. Miami really don't have any trade power either after all that they did last season.

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down