The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dallas Thomas - he is who that he was

+4
white1
HalCHorn
mercury22nathan
finfanatic
8 posters

Go down

Dallas Thomas - he is who that he was Empty Dallas Thomas - he is who that he was

Post by mercury22nathan Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:18 am

despite the coaching staff recently gloating over how improved Dallas Thomas has become...

On Miami’s first sojourn inside the 20, Damien Williams was stopped short on a fourth and 1 when Ryan Kerrigan ran unabated to tackle him and Dallas Thomas couldn’t hold a block on Jason Hatcher.

and

PFF said Dallas Thomas allowed two of the Redskins’ four sacks.

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/sports-buzz/2015/09/monday-dolphins-notes-tape-analysis-of-how-run-defense-was-gashed-notable-snap-counts-pff-grades-not.html

and so it continues.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Dallas Thomas - he is who that he was Empty Re: Dallas Thomas - he is who that he was

Post by JMP Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:27 am

I'm sure Philbin will give Thomas another award this week and tell everyone how great he played. No

The Phins are playing with fire, and it's only a matter of time till they get burned. And in this case, getting burned means losing Tannehill to injury because of a missed block by Thomas.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Dallas Thomas - he is who that he was Empty Re: Dallas Thomas - he is who that he was

Post by white1 Tue Sep 15, 2015 3:10 pm

Yep. It's Philbin's year to sink or swim. He wants Thomas at LG? Fine. Your career dude.

white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Tue Sep 15, 2015 7:09 pm

Tannehill is a tough, tough kid, but the body can only take so much. He's taken more sacks than just about anybody else in the NFL in the years he's been in the league. He WILL get hurt if this continues, it's only a matter of time. Then we get Matt Moore, and we can just pack it in.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by Triumph Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:09 am

I packed it in when they did not fire Vanilla Joe.

Mark my words the Bills will win the division. You heard it here first.
Triumph
Triumph

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:37 am

Triumph wrote:I packed it in when they did not fire Vanilla Joe.  

It's pretty obvious that Philbin and his coaching staff are holding the team back. The Phins made what were supposed to be several roster upgrades to address the team's main issues this offseason:
--OL (drafted Douglas, signed a couple of veterans)
--run defense (made Suh the highest paid defensive player in league history)
--passing game (dumped Wallace, Gibson and Hartline, added Cameron, Stills and Jennings, and drafted Parker in the first rd.)
--red zone offense (added Cameron, drafted Parker)

I know it's only one game, but guess what our main issues were against the Skins? That's right: OL, run defense, passing game and red zone offense. Surprised? Not me. I think it doesn't matter how this roster is shuffled around and remade...the team will continue to underachieve because Grampa Joe and his staff don't know what the hell they're doing.

316 and Degarmo talked about it last week: the team takes on the persona of it's head coach - that's EXACTLY what we're seeing here. Philbin is weak, emotionless and uninteresting...and those are the three top characteristics I'd use when describing the team.

Question for you, Triumph: what do you think of Eric Mangini as the next Dolphins head coach? Several of us here think it's going to happen, given the Tannenbaum connection. What do you think? Personally, I think he's a brilliant football mind with the personality of Joe Montana (in other words, zero personality...). That combination could work, but I'm not sure how it would fly in Miami. After Philbin, the lack of personality scares me - but at least Mangini makes up for it with stellar football knowledge.

Triumph wrote:Mark my words the Bills will win the division.  You heard it here first.

I still think the Pats take the division, but if any team overtakes them I agree it will be the Bills. That Bills team is scary...the only question for me is, how far can Tyrod Taylor take them? With the talent around him, it could be pretty damn far as long as he doesn't shit the bed too often.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Wed Sep 16, 2015 12:18 pm

Agreed. Grandpa "Queasy" Joe Philbin is in over his head. He goes thru the motions like he is a HC, but it is obvious he is NOT a HC, and at some point the Players figure it out and start tuning him out. Right now, that is my theory for why the Phins collapse at the end of the season.

You can only hear so much rah-rah bull puckey from the HC and then see him lose a game or two because of ineptness either in the roster and personnel decisions, or during the game. the more of Philbin the Phins Players see, the more they realize he is in over his head IMO.

Dallas Thomas? I have given up trying to understand this mystery. he must have pics of somebody doing something improper with livestock of some sort???

How much of this ole blocking do we have to see before they cut his dumb arse? LaMike fumbles and he is sent packing? Thomas looks like a complete goober or several plays a game and he gets praised??

I dunno? I have never understood why he was so highly regarded.

But in fairness, the other Olinemen ain't doing so good either?

Mangini - I like his football mind, but he is completely unsuited for handling a team IMO. That Belicheck stuff only works for Belicheck.

I heard a good rumor the other day: Nick Saban!!! if he cannot get the Colts job, he would be interested in coming back to Miami, now that the team has a QB!!!

I about run of the road when I heard that.
finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Sep 16, 2015 12:30 pm

finfanatic wrote:Dallas Thomas? I have given up trying to understand this mystery. he must have pics of somebody doing something improper with livestock of some sort???

How much of this ole blocking do we have to see before they cut his dumb arse? LaMike fumbles and he is sent packing? Thomas looks like a complete goober or several plays a game and he gets praised??

I dunno? I have never understood why he was so highly regarded.

But in fairness, the other Olinemen ain't doing so good either?

Yeah, the Dallas Thomas situation is like the Bermuda Triangle or something like that...just something unexplainable that logically cannot be understood.

It's simply amazing that we throw resources at the OL every season - tons of money and draft picks - and nothing changes. I mean, our starters include two first rounders, a third rounder, a fourth rounder AND a very highly-paid free agent (and a third round backup guard)...and that's not enough to field an adequate offensive line? How is that possible???? scratch

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Wed Sep 16, 2015 12:38 pm

JMP wrote:It's simply amazing that we throw resources at the OL every season - tons of money and draft picks - and nothing changes.  I mean, our starters include two first rounders, a third rounder, a fourth rounder AND a very highly-paid free agent (and a third round backup guard)...and that's not enough to field an adequate offensive line?  How is that possible????  scratch

and don't forget that includes the poaching of a very successful O-line coach in Benton.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by Triumph Wed Sep 16, 2015 1:20 pm

Mangini? Oh yea that would be a great hire. The Pengiun has a losing head coaching record and was called the worst hire in Browns history. He would be fan fucking tastic. I really love how the first thing he did was piss on Browns history yea lets dump any reference to Shula Griese Marino and all the other Miami greats. Oh boy he sucked on the tit of the great cheater in New England Forget he was out of coaching for what three years. Forget that players called him out of touch and the worst communicator and a micromanager. Those were learning experiences a recipe for success. The squealer is the complete fix for Miami. I cannot wait to see Mangini pick up gum wrappers off the turf because you have to pay attention to the little details amirite. Mangini? What is Schiano not available? Fuck me. I hope you guys are wrong. Saban would be great. He will recruit all those great players and rebuild Miamis roster. Nope do not want any part of little debbie man. These are great suggestions. Shit Miami should just promote Coyle. That would be great to.
Triumph
Triumph

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Sep 16, 2015 2:06 pm

LOL I can't argue with any of that about Mangini - all true.

But, I do think Tannenbaum (who was also out of football for years before the Phins hired him...) likes him and IMO he will be a top candidate. I'd sign up for him as a defensive coordinator or a lesser coaching job...but he does scare me as a head coach. Part of me thinks maybe he learned a thing or two since his first failed head coaching gigs, and I think it helps that he has coached on both sides of the ball since his return. And like I said, I do think he's a great football mind. But his personality and demeanor really make me wonder if he can ever lead a team. I can't say Mangini would make my toes tingle (as the Mad Dog used to say), but I'm almost at the point with Philbin where I''ll take anyone to replace him!

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Triumph Wed Sep 16, 2015 2:33 pm

I would rather go back to talking about Dallas Thomas or anything less painful like getting prostrate cancer than who will be coach next year. I am so spitting mad now I dropped my cigar.

You will take anyone? Let me guess you felt the same way with Tony Sparano. Yea. How did that work out.

The problem is bigger than coach. The best free agents, coaches, and GMs do not want to come to Miami. Well maybe they come if you give them the biggest contract ever. But otherwise no. What the fuck is going on in the franchise there is some deep shit like they built the place on an Indian burial ground or something. Could not possibly be our awesome owner Ross.

Does Tannebaum fix this? Not if Mangini is the answer.

I want Joe gone but not if it means we just get anyone.
Triumph
Triumph

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Sep 16, 2015 3:22 pm

Triumph wrote:You will take anyone? Let me guess you felt the same way with Tony Sparano. Yea. How did that work out.

I didn't really mean anyone...just using exaggeration to show how much I want Philbin gone! LOL The list of coaching candidates has been pretty damn underwhelming for the most part the past few years, but it really shouldn't be difficult to find an upgrade.

I agree that it all starts at the top, with Ross. He's incompetent when it comes to football, period.

I hated the Tannenbaum hire when it was made...absolutely hated it. But, at this point he's here to stay so I'm willing to give him a chance. He's been saddled with Philbin and Hickey, and if they fail again this season I want to see what he can do given the opportunity to build the team in his own way. My hunch is that, like Tannenbaum with the Jets, there may be some limited success - but in the end it'll be disastrous. The Suh signing was exactly what I expected from Tannenabaum - a big splash for sure, but really just a band-aid for the scratch on your arm while you're hemorrhaging from your leg.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Wed Sep 16, 2015 4:52 pm

Last time, Ross was doing the hiring with Ireland as his GM. Predictably, we ended up with the worst candidate of the 3. Sadly, it appears the best candidate of the 3 by far was the one we actually had coaching the Dolphins at the end of 2011 (and who, of course, we let go).

I have to think that Tannenbaum couldn't possibly do any worse.

Of course, if Philbin somehow has his "Kubiak in 2012" season, he may get another year. But the early returns from last Sunday aren't encouraging. Hell, if we play at that level this week, Jacksonville is going to beat us.

Saban? Hell, why not just bring Wanny back while we're at it? All he was lacking was a QB too--and like Saban, he passed over several chances to upgrade the position in the draft and FA.

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Wed Sep 16, 2015 5:12 pm

I did not expect a thread on Philbin replacement until later this year, but what the hell I will dive in.

Didn't we take Cameron over Tomlin? I can't remember. Anyways, this focus on offense vs defense is bullshit. Hire the best coach. Which side of the ball he rose through the ranks on is irrelevant. Of course we loved Tomlin, but hell we need offense so let's hire the worse coach we ever had, and come damn near close to going 0-16.

Saban? No. Even Ross has enough business sense to avoid the guy chased out of town with pitchforks and torches after the "I'm not going to coach Alabama." statement.

Mangini? The link to Tannebaum is scary. Totally agree with Triumph. After some initial success in NY, was fired and then landed in Cleveland where he really shit the bed. I just don't believe he has "it" to succeed as head coach.

The candidate we end up hiring is probably someone not on our radar right now, and that's fine. It will be an upcoming OC or DC from some playoff team, most likely. With Tannebaum leading the effort, assuming he is able to clearly articulate his envisioned front office structure, we have an immeasurably better chance of finding somebody good than with Ross and his fucked up crew of flunkies running all over the country chasing Peyton Manning and anybody else that has won in this league at any time in the past.

I really don't have any suggestions, beyond being afraid of the two names mentioned so far. Tomlin was nobody before Pittsburgh hired him. Harbaugh came out of nowhere also. Carroll got his second chance after a successful college stint. Sometimes guys you never heard of, or would never believe can become successful, will turn out to be the next great coach. My hope is we are lucky enough to find one.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by Triumph Wed Sep 16, 2015 6:05 pm

Well if Mangini is hired we can count the days until we start referring to Tannebaum as Tannebomb. That makes me sad because I bet a stupid Jets fan already came up with that nickname and that reminds me that we are hiring failed fired Jets cast offs who were so radioactive they were out of the league.

I like this white1. Bringing hope back into the discussion.
Triumph
Triumph

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Wed Sep 16, 2015 6:10 pm

I say we hire Saban as head coach, Cameron as offensive coordinator, Wanny as defensive coordinator, Mangini as GM, Sparano as line coach and just go for the ultimate shit coaching squad.

Nah, let's go a different route. I hear Lane Kiffin is available. Razz

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by Triumph Wed Sep 16, 2015 6:59 pm

Through the miracle of science the Miami Dolphins are proud to announce their next head coach created by genetic splicing patent pending Phins up fast incubation

Philsparcamsabstedt
Triumph
Triumph

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:47 pm

Triumph wrote:Well if Mangini is hired we can count the days until we start referring to Tannebaum as Tannebomb.  That makes me sad because I bet a stupid Jets fan already came up with that nickname and that reminds me that we are hiring failed fired Jets cast offs who were so radioactive they were out of the league.

I like this white1.  Bringing hope back into the discussion.  

Here in NY, a lot of Jets fans referred to him as Tannenbum.

As for white1, he is usually the voice of reason...he doesn't go to extremes the way I tend to!  LOL

Triumph wrote:Philsparcamsabstedt

affraid    Man, you and Degarmo really know how to break up the party.  And you thought I was bad for bringing up Mangini????   LOL

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:00 am

because i just can't seem to let this Dallas Thomas things go...

According to Pro Football Focus, rookie right guard Jamil Douglas ranks 72nd and left guard Dallas Thomas ranks 74th among 84 guards...

Among offensive players, Jason Fox and Dallas Thomas graded out worst.

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/sports-buzz/2015/09/lots-of-monday-dolphins-nuggets-exploring-the-surprising-and-not-surprising-shortcomings-exploited-i.html

while not an excuse, but rather and explanation - Douglas is a struggling rookie (who may or may not improve) and Fox is coming of a concussion and wasn't expected to play significantly... so what is the reason Dallas Thomas is still a starter? would Turner be that much worse?

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:24 am

Even if Billy Turner isn't ready yet, what about Linkenbach or McClendon? I don't think either one is a long-term solution by any means, but both players are NFL veterans and have started games at this level. In fact, Linkenbach has 36 starts in his career. Seems to me that these guys are worth at least a look, because right now the starting guards are absolutely destroying this offense. Even if Linkenbach/McClendon are barely mediocre, that would be a big improvement.

And let's be honest...if Linkenbach/McClendon truly aren't better than Thomas/Douglas, than why the hell are they even on the roster?

I understand that it is important to develop young players. But when those young players are ruining your season, something has to be done. You can't keep putting these guys on the field, not if you want to win against good teams. They're actually hurting Pouncey and James too, because now those guys have to worry about covering Thomas and Douglas in addition to their own assignments. It's a mess, and the coaches aren't doing anything about it.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Tue Sep 22, 2015 4:45 pm

JMP wrote:Even if Billy Turner isn't ready yet, what about Linkenbach or McClendon?  I don't think either one is a long-term solution by any means, but both players are NFL veterans and have started games at this level.  In fact, Linkenbach has 36 starts in his career.  Seems to me that these guys are worth at least a look, because right now the starting guards are absolutely destroying this offense.  Even if Linkenbach/McClendon are barely mediocre, that would be a big improvement.

And let's be honest...if Linkenbach/McClendon truly aren't better than Thomas/Douglas, than why the hell are they even on the roster?

I understand that it is important to develop young players.  But when those young players are ruining your season, something has to be done.  You can't keep putting these guys on the field, not if you want to win against good teams.  They're actually hurting Pouncey and James too, because now those guys have to worry about covering Thomas and Douglas in addition to their own assignments.  It's a mess, and the coaches aren't doing anything about it.

That is the exact question I was thinking about. There shouldn't be any player on the roster that is worst then the players that are already their starting. Philbin talks about the now but he isn't going to see the future after bye week

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down