The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The greatest of all time has passed - RIP Don Shula

+8
finfanatic
HalCHorn
finskev
rightchea
JEGnj
mercury22nathan
Killah Sith
JMP
12 posters

Go down

The greatest of all time has passed - RIP Don Shula Empty The greatest of all time has passed - RIP Don Shula

Post by JMP Mon May 04, 2020 10:12 am

Barry Jackson
✔
@flasportsbuzz

Very sad news: Dolphins Hall of Fame coach Don Shula passed away this morning at age 90, one of his children confirmed.
10:00 AM - May 4, 2020

Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

The greatest of all time has passed - RIP Don Shula Empty Re: The greatest of all time has passed - RIP Don Shula

Post by Killah Sith Mon May 04, 2020 10:22 am

Oh no. RIP Coach. He is and always be the #1 Dolphin in my opinion.

Killah Sith

Back to top Go down

The greatest of all time has passed - RIP Don Shula Empty Re: The greatest of all time has passed - RIP Don Shula

Post by mercury22nathan Mon May 04, 2020 10:44 am

sad news. he's the greatest of all time and is the one person most responsible for making the Dolphins franchise the bastion of excellence that it once was. he is the reason why i - and i am sure many of you - am a Dolphins fan. rest in peace, sir.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by JEGnj Mon May 04, 2020 11:26 am

RIP Architect of the Perfect Season.
JEGnj
JEGnj

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon May 04, 2020 11:43 am

A career of excellence. Just 2 losing seasons in 33 years as a head coach. That is unreal.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Mon May 04, 2020 11:51 am

I didn't get the joys of seeing Miami win a Superbowl under him but I did get to see a lot of great Fin football while he was coaching....very sad

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by finskev Mon May 04, 2020 12:23 pm

I Started watching the Fins in 1970 at the age of 6 and got to see Greatness right away at such a Young Age, Thanks Coach for All the Great Memories and We haven’t come Close to replacing the Standard You set. Keeping your Family in Prayer during this Difficult Time.

finskev

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Mon May 04, 2020 1:16 pm

Stats don't tell the whole story, but two that just amaze me:

1) Between 1963 and 1985, a span of 23 years, won 256 games (11.1 per year, in an era with 12 or 14 game seasons for two-thirds of that span) with a .721 winning percentage. Winning 72 percent of your games over 23 years? Unreal. That's the equivalent of going 12-4 12 times and 11-5 11 times over that same time span today.

2) Went to the league championship game with 5 different starting QB's: Unitas, Morrall, Griese, Marino and Woodley. True, three HOF'ers, but two who aren't. Gibbs is the only one close, having done that with three (Rypien, Williams, Theismann).

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Killah Sith Mon May 04, 2020 1:33 pm

HalCHorn wrote:Stats don't tell the whole story, but two that just amaze me:

1) Between 1963 and 1985, a span of 23 years, won 256 games (11.1 per year, in an era with 12 or 14 game seasons for two-thirds of that span) with a .721 winning percentage.  Winning 72 percent of your games over 23 years?  Unreal.  That's the equivalent of going 12-4 12 times and 11-5 11 times over that same time span today.

2) Went to the league championship game with 5 different starting QB's: Unitas, Morrall, Griese, Marino and Woodley.  True, three HOF'ers, but two who aren't.  Gibbs is the only one close, having done that with three (Rypien, Williams, Theismann).

I think #2 is a very important stat and one that is often not considered. If you look at the history of head coaches, for the most part they attained their highest success with 1 quarterback, at most 2. Shula and Gibbs clearly break that mold. Props to Gibbs for winning it all with 3 different QBs, this is why I say he is in the argument for greatest of all time, but while Shula may not have won them all, simply getting there with 5 different QBs is simply amazing.

Killah Sith

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Mon May 04, 2020 2:15 pm

Sad news indeed. Shula was always a class act. Even when he probably had cause to pitch a fit, he never did. Remember the playoff game in SD, when the power in the visitors locker room went out at halftime?

I still got my Dolphins Digest photo of him being carried off the field after that win in Philly that broke the wins record. Didn't Doug Pederson finish that game up?

finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Mon May 04, 2020 6:52 pm

He picked a great time to go. I just hope that a year or two from now we all aren't wishing we were dead.

I also hope he's not being classified as a COVID-19 death, since hospitals are being paid to do that no matter what the actual cause of death is. Seriously, this is a real thing.

Also, do NOT buy or read the book "SHULA: The Coach Of The NFL's Greatest Generation." It's crap.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Mon May 04, 2020 9:39 pm

What an amazing life and amazing run for him. I love this guy.

RIP Coach, we'll never forget you.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by scotgif Mon May 04, 2020 11:29 pm

He had a great run and a great long life. Ninety is more than most of us could ask for. RIP Coach Shula. I know he is probably tipping a cold one (green lizard) with his buddy Mad Dog Mandich.
scotgif
scotgif

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Wed May 06, 2020 11:19 am

The greatest coach of all time. He won without belicheating!

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by Killah Sith Thu May 07, 2020 1:12 pm

CarsonChris wrote:The greatest coach of all time. He won without belicheating!

I don't know if it's accurate but I read something that basically said that Shula was the one who coined the word "belicheat."

Killah Sith

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down