The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dolphins Reportedly Fired OC Chad O'Shea Because of Complex Playbook

+4
HalCHorn
white1
mercury22nathan
rightchea
8 posters

Go down

Dolphins Reportedly Fired OC Chad O'Shea Because of Complex Playbook Empty Dolphins Reportedly Fired OC Chad O'Shea Because of Complex Playbook

Post by rightchea Wed May 20, 2020 11:28 pm

blake schuster wrote:Miami Dolphins offensive coordinator Chad O'Shea was fired after just one year on the job, which seemed odd considering he was working with a young team primed for development.

Now there's finally a reason for the move: The playbook was too complex.

According to Barry Jackson, Adam Beasley and Armando Salguero of the Miami Herald, O'Shea was unable to teach his offense to Miami's players, with one Dolphin calling the coach's tenure a "s--tshow."

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2892682-dolphins-reportedly-fired-oc-chad-oshea-because-of-complex-playbook

This makes sense but doesn't have a lot of information

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Dolphins Reportedly Fired OC Chad O'Shea Because of Complex Playbook Empty Re: Dolphins Reportedly Fired OC Chad O'Shea Because of Complex Playbook

Post by mercury22nathan Thu May 21, 2020 8:25 am

O’Shea would go to Flores and say a player didn’t know the playbook, but some of the players felt O’Shea wasn’t doing a good job teaching it.

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nfl/miami-dolphins/article242186641.html

a combination of a complex offense, young players and a first-time OC new to teaching his offense.

hopefully things will get better...

Gailey has not coached since he was the Jets offensive coordinator in 2015 and 2016.

In his 14 years as an NFL play-caller, he has never had a top five-offense. His teams had a top-10 offense (in terms of yardage) in four of the 14 years, six times finished between 20th and 32nd in total offense (never lower than 26th) and four times ranked between 11th and 19th.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Dolphins Reportedly Fired OC Chad O'Shea Because of Complex Playbook Empty Re: Dolphins Reportedly Fired OC Chad O'Shea Because of Complex Playbook

Post by rightchea Thu May 21, 2020 11:22 am

That doesn't look good to be honest. He never had a top ten offense in his 14 years with being with the Jets. With all the players that they have had since I could remember could mean disaster. But then again Flores is at the helm so lets see what happens.

For O'Shea, I hope this is a learning lesson for him. He seems like he would be a great coach might just have to dumb it down a little.

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Thu May 21, 2020 11:55 am

I read that too, a very interesting article. I have a few thoughts of my own on why O'Shea was summarily shown the door - a shock to most of us coming right on the heels of our "feel good" win over the Pats in NE.

For O'Shea, I hope this is a learning lesson for him. He seems like he would be a great coach might just have to dumb it down a little.

I'm not so sure O'Shea has what it takes to advance and ascend the coaching ladder. Here are the problems he needs to correct:

- Clearly, he approached installing our offense no different than if he had Tom Brady with 10+ years of experience running the show. This was a flawed approach from day one. A good coach needs to be able to flex and adapt to the personnel, and create a system that works for the talent on hand. This was not done, and the results speak for themselves.

- O'Shea seems to be comfortable with the passing game based on his position in NE, and that is reinforced by the fact he has a passing-game role in Cleveland now. His running game was a disaster. O'Shea struggled to create a cohesive game plan leveraging the pass to open the run and vice versa. Experienced coordinators will mesh the two, and it's clear O'Shea was not ready for that much responsibility. Flores wants a physical run game, and most people forget how much the Patriots use that weapon. It's not all Tom Brady passing, and anyone playing fantasy football finds out really quickly just how much he throws the ball. In my opinion, the level of abject failure seen in our running attack was a primary reason he was fired - the complexity of his offense was secondary IMO.

That doesn't look good to be honest. He never had a top ten offense in his 14 years with being with the Jets. With all the players that they have had since I could remember could mean disaster. But then again Flores is at the helm so lets see what happens.

I too read that piece on Gailey. A few sentences later, the writer explains a big reason for those numbers: By and large, Gailey was asked to work with journeymen QBs - he only had a franchise talent at QB in something like 2-3 of the seasons sampled. Names like Tyler Thigpen and other similar QBs are going to be crippling for any OC.

The reason I think Gailey works here are several: He is a creative coordinator who will craft a scheme and game plan based on the talents of his personnel. He has so much experience there's no reason for him to hammer any square peg scheme into a round hole, he's run a number of different attacks including spread and RPO concepts. Gailey believes in running the ball, and this meshes perfectly with the physical team Flores wants. Having Fitzpatrick here with all of his experience in the offense, and with Gailey and his playcalling, is icing on the cake. The perfect veteran presence to accelerate the installation and learning of the offense, especially with our youth in the receiving corps and offensive line, and two new starting RBs.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Thu May 21, 2020 12:03 pm

I'm good with Gailey being hired.

His starting QB's:
Mike Tomzcak (96)
Kordell Stewart (97)
Troy Aikman (98-99)
Jay Fiedler (00-01)
Tyler Thigpen (08)
and Ryan Fitzpatrick in Buffalo (10-12) and NY (15-16)

One great QB in the bunch, and he was on the downside, his last two seasons (Aikman)

Gailey got career years out of Fiedler, Fitzpatrick (with 30 TD's no less) and Stewart. He certainly got as much out of Tyler Thigpen as anyone could hope to.

The rankings don't tell the whole story, yards per play says a lot more. Just look at the number of Gailey headed offenses that ranked in the top 5 in yards per rushing play, for example. He accomplished that in both Buffalo and KC (in 08 no less) and was 6th and 7th in 2 years in Pitt.

Then remember the 2001 Dolphins had Jay Fiedler at QB and a less than stellar WR corps. They were 4th in the NFL in yards per passing play.

Dude can coach.

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri May 22, 2020 9:25 am

Gailey gets more out of nothing than any coordinator I can think of.  

The reason I like him is he's adaptable and creative.  He can run pretty much any type of offense, and he will make changes to adapt to the players he has.  Most coaches don't do that - it's "my way or the highway".  Look at Gailey through the years - he's had a power-run based offense, he's had a high-flying pass-first offense, he's had pocket QBs, he's had running QBs, and pretty much anything else you can think of.  He is one of the few offensive coaches than can successfully mix a spread offense with a power running game, and I think that's what we'll see in Miami...something along the lines of what the Chiefs and Eagles run.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Fri May 22, 2020 7:19 pm

Bring back the Run and Shoot.

Let's have some fun again.

In all reality, though, I think we're about to get a dose of 1970s football Wink

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by Killah Sith Fri May 29, 2020 3:55 pm

I saw somewhere that Ryan Fitzpatrick really wanted O'Shea gone.

Killah Sith

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Fri May 29, 2020 5:36 pm

Degarmo wrote:Bring back the Run and Shoot.

Let's have some fun again.

In all reality, though, I think we're about to get a dose of 1970s football Wink

Oh you'd love that, wouldn't you? WOULDN'T YOU??? Razz Then again, with that bottom 5 receiving corps, I suppose there would be no choice, really Rolling Eyes

Killah Sith wrote:I saw somewhere that Ryan Fitzpatrick really wanted O'Shea gone.

Fitz is literally the last player I would ever suspect of engaging in Machiavellian machinations and maneuvering to get rid of a coach Shocked Shocked Shocked Remember, as the story goes those two were in the middle of an exit interview when O'Shea got the news. Maybe that was planned by Fitz all along???

Seriously, any instruction given by people with an average IQ of 150 designed for people with an average IQ of 100 (or less) without taking said IQ disparity into account is always a disaster in the making.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:23 am

We are grading people IQ now DolFan316 Laughing Laughing Laughing

But in all seriousness Fitz advocating for the younger players makes sense. Even if it seem like he the one that causing a rift amongst coaches he doing it for the younger players. He a leader and showed what a leader is suppose to do even if it means someone getting fired.

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:26 pm

rightchea wrote:We are grading people IQ now DolFan316 Laughing Laughing Laughing

But in all seriousness Fitz advocating for the younger players makes sense. Even if it seem like he the one that causing a rift amongst coaches he doing it for the younger players. He a leader and showed what a leader is suppose to do even if it means someone getting fired.

In this case IQ is extremely important, we're talking about people's ability to understand something job-related. I'm thinking that Fitz is smart enough to know that neither he nor the team can succeed unless *everybody* is able to understand what they're being told to do.

The problem with modern coaches is that they're so desperate to "outsmart" their peers that they go out of their way to design gimmicky plays and systems without considering who actually has to run them.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:32 pm

DolFan 316 wrote:
rightchea wrote:We are grading people IQ now DolFan316 Laughing Laughing Laughing

In this case IQ is extremely important, we're talking about people's ability to understand something job-related. I'm thinking that Fitz is smart enough to know that neither he nor the team can succeed unless *everybody* is able to understand what they're being told to do.

The problem with modern coaches is that they're so desperate to "outsmart" their peers that they go out of their way to design gimmicky plays and systems without considering who actually has to run them.

That last sentence describes that fraud Adam Gase perfectly.

That's why I like the hiring of Chan Gailey. Gailey doesn't have a "system". He designs plays for the players he has. Sure, he may not be the greatest coach ever, but I think he's perfect for what this team needs at this time. He has shown time and again that he is adaptable and he can put players into position to succeed. On a young unproven team, that's exactly what you need.

As for Fitz, he's seen it all and he's smart enough to know how to handle any situation. He also knows that this is his final season as an NFL QB, and he's going to do whatever he can to go out on a high note.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:04 pm

Once Fitz retires, they should lock him up with a coaching job, if he's interested, of course. The guy's one smart cookie.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:43 am

Count former Redskins and Texans general manager Charley Casserly among those who believes Brian Flores made the right move bringing 68-year-old Chan Gailey out of retirement to be the Dolphins’ offensive coordinator.

“Ten years ago, Chan Gailey told me that ‘the NFL will change. They will run college offenses because they don’t have the time to develop those quarterbacks into pro offenses,’” Casserley said on NFL Network last week.

“Guess what? Chan Gailey was ahead of his time. He runs a spread offense. He will take some of that Alabama stuff, put it in. He’s already running it. There won’t be a great learning curve for Tua Tagovailoa with Chan Gailey running that offense.”

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article242905056.html

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:45 am

mercury22nathan wrote:
Count former Redskins and Texans general manager Charley Casserly among those who believes Brian Flores made the right move bringing 68-year-old Chan Gailey out of retirement to be the Dolphins’ offensive coordinator.

“Ten years ago, Chan Gailey told me that ‘the NFL will change. They will run college offenses because they don’t have the time to develop those quarterbacks into pro offenses,’” Casserley said on NFL Network last week.

“Guess what? Chan Gailey was ahead of his time. He runs a spread offense. He will take some of that Alabama stuff, put it in. He’s already running it. There won’t be a great learning curve for Tua Tagovailoa with Chan Gailey running that offense.”

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article242905056.html

Good stuff.

I still think the one thing that makes Gailey stand out is his ability to have a power running game with a spread offense. That's really rare. The Chiefs, Eagles and Rams do it, but I can't think of another current team that does it - or even can do it - consistently. If Gailey can bring that to Miami, it's a huge advantage and plays to the strengths of both Fitz and Tua. The boring Dolphin offense we've watched for seemingly forever could get exciting very quickly if it works.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:45 pm

I think that what Flores bring to the table an exciting offense. I have never been so excited to see a game and worried about missing something. Most of the time Miami will loss and it was because the coaches were to scared to do something but Flores made opportunities, was aggressive no matter the score and kept the fans excited for what next.

If Gailey is what people say he is. Miami will make the NFL scared in 2021 and beyond

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down