The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New OC Chad O'Shea discusses his offensive philosophy

+2
white1
JMP
6 posters

Go down

New OC Chad O'Shea discusses his offensive philosophy Empty New OC Chad O'Shea discusses his offensive philosophy

Post by JMP Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:42 am

Very informative article from Adam Beasley. I posted most of it below since it has so much great info.

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nfl/miami-dolphins/article225310845.html

O’Shea, during a nearly 15-minute interview with the Miami Herald Wednesday, was more than happy to discuss his philosophy and New England’s scheme and what he wants in a quarterback. And there’s nothing stopping the rest of us from taking that context and projecting it forward.

Will he bring the Patriots’ consistently successful Erhardt-Perkins system with him to Miami? We’ll find out next week, but based on the way he praised it Wednesday, it’s a safe bet.

“I think we’ve been able to put players on the field that share some common traits that are very important in offensive players,” said O’Shea, 46. “Dependability, consistency, ability to adjust, whether it be a different game plan for a different opponent. Whether it be a position that they might not have played previously that we feel is the best role for them to be successful in winning the game. I think that’s something we’ve always asked our players. We’re going to ask you to be in a role that’s to try to win the game.

“It might not be a role that you’ve been best suited for in the past, but it’s a role in which we’re going to put you in because we think it’s the best thing for the team.”

But he won’t squeeze a round hole into a square peg. There’s no better example of this than Julian Edelman, who arrived in Massachusetts as a converted quarterback the same year O’Shea joined Bill Belichick’s staff. Edelman has a rare ability to get open and catch the football, but he did not necessarily fit the Patriots’ system. So New England changed its system to suit his ability.

Ten years, 499 catches and 30 touchdowns later, Edelman’s place in Patriots history is secure. But his story might have been different with a different position coach.

“Coach O’Shea’s had a huge impact on my career,” Edelman said. “We both came in 10 years ago. He’s not only coached me a lot but he’s been kind of like a figure that keeps me intact mentally. He knows how to deal with people in a real way. We have a special relationship because we came here at the same time. I love having him as a coach.”

Added Patriots receiver Phillip Dorsett: “I don’t want to be biased, but he’s one of the best receivers coaches I’ve had. He’s helped me a lot.”

In Miami, O’Shea won’t be responsible for five or six players. More like 25.

And he all but acknowledged Wednesday that, if he doesn’t get the right quarterback, nothing else really matters.

The Dolphins are expected to move on from Ryan Tannehill this offseason, and will surely draft his replacement high, either this year or next.

And the traits most important to O’Shea in that position? Accuracy and leadership.

“I think in the end, the decisions the quarterback makes are very important,” O’Shea said, “but the accuracy has as much to do with the success of a quarterback as any other trait he would physically have.”

So keep that in mind as we evaluate the draft class in the next three months. Arm strength is important, but it’s useless without accuracy.

“I truly still believe in the player,” he added. “I think that you can have a system in place, but if you don’t have the right players to fit within that system, the system isn’t going to work. I think it’s important to identify what your players that you have available to you do best and to try to build the system around what those players do.

Man, I'm getting excited. Imagine the Dolphins actually tailoring their gameplan to the specific opponent! This is something we've all been wanting forever. Of course, first we have to get the right QB, OL and skill players, players that are intelligent and versatile and willing to "buy in"...but damn, what a breath of fresh air!

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

New OC Chad O'Shea discusses his offensive philosophy Empty Re: New OC Chad O'Shea discusses his offensive philosophy

Post by white1 Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:44 pm

I find myself a bit discouraged by an Armando "tanking" article today.

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/armando-salguero/article225285760.html

The Miami Dolphins will not be signing Foles, a Super Bowl winning quarterback, if he becomes available in free agency.

The Dolphins aren’t planning on bringing Teddy Bridgewater, a Miami native and scheduled to be an unrestricted free agent, back to South Florida as the starting quarterback of their 2019 team.

Okay, I understand the thinking on Foles. He's probably going to command at least Tannehill-level salary and bonuses, given he's won a Superbowl and is not going to require any draft compensation. There's more than enough demand for this kind of QB to price us quickly out of the market, especially in Year One of a brand new regime that is going to need to shed a ton of veteran players. We know there are several veterans we will be dumping to shed salary, age, and sub-par performance in purging the roster.

However, I fail to see the logic in turning a blind eye to a prospect like Bridgewater. He's still young. He doesn't have the track record to command a high salary. He has starting experience. Apparently, he wants to live in Miami. Why so quick to say "NO" before free agency has even begun?

The Dolphins aren’t planning on letting Ryan Tannehill remain as the starter in 2019, either, by the way. After seven years with the club, the people who run the organization, including owner Stephen Ross, are agreed they are moving on from Tannehill.

Nothing but VIOLENT AGREEMENT from me here. There's no feasible way you can bring Tannehill back into this locker room. Not when starting from scratch, and knowing everything wrong with the player so intimately. However, this brings me back to the Bridgewater point. Who's going to start at QB this year? We don't have a starting caliber QB on the roster. Are we really going into the draft with no one qualified to start? That would only force us to draft a guy in April even if we don't really like him. Goes against the "best player available" approach completely. I guess we could use another grizzled veteran as our bridge starter, there are a few out there, but again I'm puzzled on why NOT Bridgewater?

The club will not dive into the deep end of the free agency pool in 2019, as I reported inartfully in my column Tuesday morning.

So every significant roster need the Dolphins have now -- offensive line, defensive line, cornerback, quarterback -- will not be filled with the best (highest-priced) player available at the position.

No issues with this statement. This approach in the past is what has led to the failure of the current roster. Chasing high-priced vets who come in immediately as not only starters but centerpieces of the offense or defense.

And what about the quarterback position?

A source within the team said this week that Ross loves the idea of Alabama quarterback Tua Tagovailoa being on the Dolphins if he’s available in the 2020 draft. The source said he heard Ross say so.

So the #TankforTua social media movement isn’t just a hashtag birthed as a joke.

It’s real, folks.

God damn it here we go again. Why the hell would we burn a year just to put ourselves into position to draft a rookie, who no one can tell me right now is a lead pipe lock to even be a good starter in the NFL? I have a real problem with this approach. Sure, position yourself for the possibility. Yes, stockpile draft picks. But knowingly mis-managing the roster to ensure YOU DON'T win enough games to hurt your draft position?

I don't agree with this philosophy. If it happens that the team fails in 2019 while managing the roster correctly, fine, that's part of the game. But knowingly letting holes on the roster go unaddressed, because losing is a good thing? That's not right. And that's not how successful teams are built. Part of winning is cultural. This goes against that.

Make your moves and be smart about the players brought in. Young, hungry, still in their prime. No high-priced centerpieces (I realize that means no to Foles, Bell, A Brown, etc). I'm fine with that.

But if Luke Falk is starting in September I'm going to be disappointed. This "tank" talk needs to stop.

white1
white1

Back to top Go down

New OC Chad O'Shea discusses his offensive philosophy Empty Re: New OC Chad O'Shea discusses his offensive philosophy

Post by DolFan 316 Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:26 pm

Not to mention two other things. One, no FA is going to sign on with a team that's publicly declared it's going cheap *and* tanking and two, this team sucks at sucking which means they'll find a way to do their usual "miss the playoffs but win enough to not draft top 5" routine.

This is also why all this "Things WILL get worse before getting better!" talk baffles, befuddles and bewilders me. How can winning 4-6 games next season with brand new people in every area possibly be construed as any sort of progress? Did the Rams *have* to suffer when McVay took over? NO!!! The reason they're in the Super Bowl now isn't because they *had* to tank last season, is it? It's because they actually got better after years of being on that Fins-type treadmill to nowhere. Had they tanked I guarantee you McVay would not be coaching them now.

If the Fins just come out and admit they won't have the $$$ to field a functional team next season that's fine, I'd prefer that to all this cryptic murmuring about tanking.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:38 pm

Totally agree DF.

The quarterback line put me over the edge. Yeah, let's just knowingly fail to start anyone worth a damn at QB, because losses this season are a good thing. Don't try to find one, because we might just stumble onto a starter and NOT NEED one in the 2020 draft. Or, we're able to draft a franchise caliber starter in 2020 and he doesn't have to start right away because we already have a solid starter.

I'm wondering how much of this is smokescreen. If we as fans are failing to believe it, aren't all the teams in the NFL doing the same thing?

You can build a good team without targeting the draft two years from now. The Eagles did and so did the Rams. Did the Chiefs "tank" for Mahomes? No they did their homework and figured out how to trade up and get their guy! He moved into the role on a squad already stocked with talent in key roles on the roster.

If this is seriously our approach.... we've learned the wrong lessons and think the Browns are the model. THEY DID NOT FINISH ABOVE 500 THIS YEAR. That's not the model to follow!
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:02 pm

white1 wrote:If this is seriously our approach.... we've learned the wrong lessons and think the Browns are the model.  THEY DID NOT FINISH ABOVE 500 THIS YEAR.  That's not the model to follow!

FINALLY someone who gets it about the Browns instead of insisting they're somehow a great team who will go 19-0 next season.

Yeah, 7 wins is nice after going 1-32 but the Fins won 11 games a year after winning 1 so that doesn't impress me. There's no guarantee they'll be a playoff team next year or any year and in fact, recent NFL history shows that teams who finish strong but miss the playoffs actually get worse the next season.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:06 am

First, the new Browns model is exactly what we should be following: put a football guy in charge and let him run the show - and get a franchise QB in the draft. No, the Browns did not have a winning season in year one of this plan...but they came very close to a 10-win season, and are clearly headed in the right direction with stout OL and DL, a franchise QB, and offensive weapons. Hopefully, Grier can have similar success in Miami.

Second, it doesn't matter what Ross says, and it doesn't matter what the media say. The new coaching staff isn't even in the building yet, so it's far too early to know what is going to happen. I don't think the Phins will be looking to "tank" - I think they'll be looking to start building a foundation and preparing themselves for the future. This isn't a one-year plan. My guess is:

--We'll sign a cheaper vet QB (like Tyrod Taylor) and try to develop one of the young QBs on the roster (Luke Falk or newly-signed Jake Rudock). If a QB they like falls in their lap in the draft, they'll take him - but they won't force the issue. The franchise QB will likely be acquired in 2020, one way or another.
--The focus this offseason will be on freeing up future cap space by getting out of bad contracts. I expect a lot of veterans to get cut or traded to save money and add more draft picks.
--We will look to add lower-tier free agents that are young and ascending, players that are intelligent, versatile and coachable.
--Building the offensive and defensive lines will be a priority - and for once, this won't be done by breaking the bank on older, declining free agents.

I think we're trying to build something that is sustainable, with an eye to the long game and not immediate results. I think this new coaching staff will look to put a system in place that will be based on flexibility, versatility, discipline and intelligence.

I'm very, very excited about the future of the Miami Dolphins, but I recognize that this isn't going to be an overnight fix. My advice is to sit back and enjoy the ride...it may not be pretty at first, but if the Phins are really committed to building this the right way I think we're all going to end up very satisfied in the the coming seasons.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:22 am

Great post, JMP.

For the record, I am TOTALLY ON BOARD with the plan you have laid out. Tyrod Taylor is a perfectly fine example of the "bridge QB" I expect to see starting for us in September 2019.

I blame Armando for winding me up. All his articles and tweets lately read like "TANK TANK TANK A TANK TANK TANKETY TANK!".

Bullshit. I don't believe for one minute that Flores and Grier are already drawing up scouting reports expecting to have the top overall pick in 2020.

I completely understand that we are going to dump many - and hopefully ALL - of our high-priced veterans to clear cap space.

I would be okay if we trade away Howard for a first round pick, because that would reflect a trade with great value in return.

I want us to add lower-tier, young free agents because that's smart and cost effective.

If we draft nothing but OL and DL this draft, I would be completely satisfied. And God help us if we draft another damned running back.

However, ALL OF THESE MOVES could combine and actually result in a stronger squad than we fielded last season. It just depends on how right we are with the players we acquire, how well they match our scheme, and how good the coaching staff is on training to the scheme. I could easily see a team short on skill positions, but strong up front, playing power football and winning 5-7 games.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:17 pm

The issue with QB is difficult - and it's difficult because this isn't a great offseason to need a QB.  I'm all for getting the franchise QB as soon as possible...but looking at what's available, realistically it's not going to happen.  (And yes, Tannehill needs to be gone NO MATTER WHAT!!)

Foles will be way too expensive and I'm just not sure he is "the guy".

Bridgewater is an interesting case, but again will probably be too expensive.  As much as I like him, it is difficult to justify giving him a huge contract based on his history.

The draft?  I see a lot of guys that could maybe become quality backups someday...but I'm not sure I see a future top-tier starter.  I'm all for drafting a later-round project this year, but I really don't see any reason to use a high pick on what I consider "meh" QBs like Haskins, Murray, Lock and Jones.  You could convince me to take someone like Ryan Finley, Gardner "The Mississippi Mustache" Minshew, or even Jarrett Stidham...but not before round 4, and they'll likely all go earlier in this QB-starved league.

Anyway...given everything I just said, it may be smartest to go cheap on QB in 2019 - a lower-tier FA like Taylor, and develop Falk/Rudock/rookie.  Get the system established, fix the OL, and then strike in 2020.

But the key is...if we can't get "THE" QB this offseason, we at least MUST build up everything else - so that when we do get the QB, he'll be set up to succeed.

Last edited by JMP on Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:00 pm; edited 1 time in total

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by scotgif Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:09 pm

white1 wrote:
I'm wondering how much of this is smokescreen.  If we as fans are failing to believe it, aren't all the teams in the NFL doing the same thing?

My thinking exactly. Could it be that the team is leaking the tanking plan to hide their real interest in one of the top QB's THIS year?

I find it hard to believe that EVEN that Dolphins could be as dumb as to actually tell "sources" that they plan on tanking.

They may actually have their eyes on their prize QB and want to "sneak up" on other teams that may hold off on picking one of the guys they want because they don't see the Fins as a threat to take a QB in the 1st round.

Personally, I like Haskins. I think he has the body and arm of the modern NFL QB of today.

Even if we do pick a QB and start him and he flops, so be it. Then you try again the following year. Keep drafting a QB until you find that special guy. And, even when you find him, continue stockpiling QB's for trade value. Seems like our soon-to-be head coach's current team has used this philosophy pretty good over the years.
scotgif
scotgif

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:36 pm

I don't give a shit what Ross thinks, and neither should Grier.  Ross was doing great getting the hell out of the way, and he should remain the hell out of the way.  Ross' thinking is what got us here in the first place.  Just sign the checks, sir, and let the football professionals do the heavy lifting.

We're going to have Tyrod Taylor as the starter this year, I can feel it.

Oh, and when they tank, and the Pats slap a tampering charge on the Phins for this hire (don't know what or how, but they're the evil empire, so . . .) and we lose our 1st overall, then what? God I love making up conspiracy stuff, it just writes itself Very Happy

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:11 pm

scotgif wrote:

Personally, I like Haskins. I think he has the body and arm of the modern NFL QB of today.

If I'm taking a QB in round one, I want more than one season of starting experience. My other issue with Haskins is that he can't move. The way the league is these days, you need a QB that is at least semi-mobile. Haskins to me just seems very un-athletic and statue-like in the pocket. I don't trust him with pressure coming at him. His accuracy at Ohio State was off the charts amazing, but I'm not convinced it translates to the pros. He seems too much like a smaller (and less experienced) Byron Leftwich IMO. I'd take that in round 4...but not in the top 10, where he'll almost certainly go.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:32 pm

Never ever EVER draft a QB out of Ohio St. (I refuse to use the pretentious "the"). Literally none of them have amounted to anything in the NFL ever.

So yeah, the Fins are wasting a pick on Haskins guaranteed.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:11 am

Everyone seems to think Haskins is a lock to go top 10, with a lot of people having him going to the Giants at 6. That's A-OK with me.

With Grier having a Parcells background, I really don't see any way he'd draft a one-year starter in round one...doesn't fit the Parcells QB "rules".

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Umix10 Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:18 pm

Haskins maybe the QB that closely resembles Tannehill's career track. Not enough experience and too few Top echelon QB's available in the draft. He may very well be forced to start for no reason other than thats all there is.

I still believe that our only hope in the rebuild is to fix the one thing that has plagued the dolphins, the interior line.
Umix10
Umix10

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down