The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BREAKING NEWS: It's TUA Time!

+6
DolFan 316
JEGnj
CarsonChris
Degarmo
JMP
white1
10 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

BREAKING NEWS:  It's TUA Time!  - Page 2 Empty Re: BREAKING NEWS: It's TUA Time!

Post by Degarmo Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:28 pm

Snaps is different than starts though.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

BREAKING NEWS:  It's TUA Time!  - Page 2 Empty Re: BREAKING NEWS: It's TUA Time!

Post by Umix10 Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:37 am

Contracts are very important. If we were 4-2 circumstances might be different. At this point in the season, the state of the world with COVID-19. There’s a chance that we may not see what Tua can do in live action.

Everything is a situation. Purely by the way Fitz is playing, I’m 50-50 about having him step aside but, if I’m Grier we need to think about what the Texans pick could potentially be! Are we a contender or are we lucky to be 3-3 because our division is weak? If we know that Tua is struggling early, the pick from Houston ( should they keep falling) could have a significant impact for those who might want Lawrence. If Tua rises than the draft capital for that Houston pick becomes considerable.

I’m not saying throw away this season. I’m saying that there’s a lot more upside by playing Tua now than later. On the field(scheme wise) as well as off the field (draft capital).
Umix10
Umix10

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:33 am

rightchea wrote:BREAKING NEWS:  It's TUA Time!  - Page 2 Ek3suu10

This is Fitz contract information. Basically what happens is if Fitz plays the next game he would get $1 million if he doesn't play he doesn't get it. so basically it was a GM move more than a Flores move

The move happened because we had a bye. The Dolphins have plenty of money and $1 million is literally nothing to them - the bonus was absolutely not a factor.

Tua is ready - that's the bottom line. The switch was made because of the upside he brings. We know what Fitz is...a leader and amazing person, but ultimately average at best. Tua gives us a shot at greatness.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:21 pm

Totally agree.

Development also is a huge consideration. Right now, TODAY, yes Fitz is the better QB. No question. He has a total mastery of the offense and 15 years experience reading defenses and knowing how to get his team into the best play possible.

However, Tua can make throws that Fitz can't dream of making - he said it himself just a few weeks ago. So in November, December, next year, Tua will very likely well exceed what Fitz is today.

This will happen ONLY if Tua is starting games. He will not develop much at all running the scout team offense and talking to Fitz during the game. He has to digest the weekly game plan, practice it, and then play it during the game. That's the only way you'll see him improve more than he has to this point - he has to play.

I'm positive there will be rookie moments, that's going to happen. He starts game 7, and I'd expect by game 14 we'll be seeing a much different and much improved QB than the one we will see against the Rams. He's too smart, too accurate, and works too hard not to improve.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:11 pm

Great post, white. Agree completely.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Umix10 Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:16 pm

True or False.....Now that Tua's QB1, Do we "MAKE" the playoffs?
Umix10
Umix10

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:42 pm

Umix10 wrote:True or False.....Now that Tua's QB1, Do we "MAKE" the playoffs?  

Honestly, I'm not even thinking about playoffs now that Tua is in. To me, it's all about developing Tua. If that leads to playoffs - awesome. If not, that's OK, too - just get him ready. 2021 is the target season for me...I expect a MASSIVE jump next season.

As white said, we have to expect growing pains. So, we may lose some winnable games along the way. But it's all about the big picture.

Having said all that - if Tua gets up to speed quickly, this team can and will make some noise.

So, do we make the playoffs with Tua? Probably not, but if he charges out of the gate at a high level anything is possible.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JEGnj Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:35 pm

I am excited about this. Fitz knew the deal going in. He has played well but everyone knows you get Fitzmagic or Fitztragic. This is a new NFL and you have so long to maximize the rookie contract to know if you have to pay up big bucks on the second one.
Our Dolphins of the past is only a memory. This franchise needs an infusion for the future.
JEGnj
JEGnj

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:22 pm

The burden for a playoff run is going to fall on our defense.

We HAVE to expect growing pains, not only for Tua but for the rest of the offense as Gailey implements massive changes to his game plan in order to customize the attack for Tua and his skill set. It won't be new, I'm sure it's already installed, but much of it sat on the shelf while Fitz friendly plays and schemes were used instead.

The defense HAS to keep us in games and prevent the opponent from running away early, so far they've shown they can do it. I know the Jets are terrible, but shutting out an NFL team is no easy task and we were fortunate on a couple timely penalties that took them out of the red zone.

Jones and Howard are playing great, keep up the pass rush pressure and contain the run - it can be done. They need to keep us in the game while the offense is evolving it's going to be a bit rocky early on.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by Umix10 Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:45 pm

I honestly think that the Rams and the Cards are going to be easier for Tua. There's no game film on him up until this point in the NFL. If they are scouting they are scouting tapes from damn near a year and half ago. I think the calming part will likely come after these first two games. He'll settle in more.

Tua was 18 years old and came into a championship game at half and won the game. I know that this is nothing new but even when the kid made a mistake by taking a sack, he came back and threw the prettiest dime ever to Devonta Smith. Text book play. Sure he'll have bad games but I think that he will surprise a lot of haters, doubters, and so called experts.

I expect him to show out and finally put the Burrow/Herbert/Tua question to rest!!!!!! End of Conversation. Mic drop. LMAO
Umix10
Umix10

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:01 pm

Umix10 wrote:Tua was 18 years old and came into a championship game at half and won the game.

That's a good point, Umix - Tua has shown that there is no game too big for him. He is prepared and confident, and he knows how to win. I don't think we're going to see a sloppy, hesitant QB with happy feet - I think we're going to see a guy that looks surprisingly polished and knows what he's doing from the first snap. Yes, there will be mistakes - but those mistake will be learning opportunities.

I'm telling you right now - if we get the Tua I think we're going to get, the Herbert-Burrow talk will stop immediately. We're not going to see Tua playing in the 15-yard box that Burrow seems to play in, and we're not going to see the passes to nowhere that Herbert consistently throws. Big things are coming, Dolfans - this is the start of something special. sunny

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JEGnj Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:13 pm

I know getting the bye week to prep and practice is a big deal but I wish we didn't have to wait a week. I really have never watched any of Tua playing except a few highlight reels so I am excited to see him in action.
JEGnj
JEGnj

Back to top Go down

Post by rightchea Fri Oct 23, 2020 5:05 pm

Umix10 wrote:True or False.....Now that Tua's QB1, Do we "MAKE" the playoffs?  

Not seeing it. I think that Miami gets close to the playoffs even with Fitz TBH, but I don't see too much change

rightchea

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:00 pm

Herbert with another phenomenal game. All I can say is Tua better look like Marino from the get go. Herbert looks like a future hall of famer

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:41 am

Herbert has won one game, against an awful Jags team that Ryan Fitzpatrick also lit up. He does look very good, but far too early to know what he'll be.

Tua is nothing like Marino, so if you are expecting him to be that, you will be disappointed. Tua is much more in the mold of Drew Brees IMO. He is going to rely on timing, accuracy, touch and decision-making and isn't a gunslinger that's going to throw the all over the field.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by finskev Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:50 pm

I see the Tickets Prices on Secondary Markets is up for His Start, Cheapest Ticket in Upper Deck is $125 and some Clubs Seats for $1600 a Pop.

finskev

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:19 am

finskev wrote:I see the Tickets Prices on Secondary Markets is up for His Start, Cheapest Ticket in Upper Deck is $125 and some Clubs Seats for $1600 a Pop.

Yeah, Tua is definitely generating a lot of interest.

If the Phins somehow win the next two very difficult games and Tua plays well, ticket prices will probably skyrocket for the home game against the Herbert-led Chargers!

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:01 am

Rams played a very physical game last night and pushed Chicago around in impressive fashion.

The silver lining for us, it was a Monday night game and now they have to fly cross country to face us.

AT 5-2, the Rams are a reflection of their record, a very good to excellent team playing in the tough NFC West. The Fins are going to have a tough time handling them, and I don't think it would matter if Fitz or Tua were playing. In fact, Tua could serve as an x-factor since there are likely going to be plays we don't run regularly with Fitz, and his mobility along with being a left handed QB are wrinkles for the Rams tough defense.

Our defense is going to have to step up big time to keep us in it. We need sacks and turnovers, and we cannot let the Rams running game get on track. If they run the ball at will on us, it's going to be a very long day...
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:24 am

The Rams do a lot of different things on offense. They can give the ball to any player at any given time, both in the passing game and the running game. They are a very physical running team, and they run the ball more than any other NFL team. Unfortunately, the Dolphins aren't very good against the run and I think the Rams will look to pound the ball early and often. So it is important for the Dolphins to somehow jump out to an early lead and try to make the Rams a bit more one dimensional. The Rams do have good receivers, but I think the Phins' D can handle them. It's the Rams running game that worries me.

Statistically, the Rams defense is very similar to the Dolphins against both the run and pass. I think there were plays to be had for the Bars last night, but their offense is terrible. Hopefully Tua will be able to take advantage of the holes I saw in the Rams' D last night. It would be great if we can get a running game going to take pressure off Tua, but I am assuming the Rams will begin the game focused on stuffing the run. That means the OL must bring it's "A game" in pass protection, and Tua has to beat the single coverage he will likely see early.

On STs, when playing the Rams you always have to worry about fakes, especially with punter Johnny Hekker - who in addition to being arguably the NFL's best punter is also a damn good passer on fakes.

This is a tough game for the Phins, but a winnable one. To me, the X-factor is the fact that Tua throws lefty and there is no film on him...that could confuse the Rams, and hopefully Tua can attack and catch them off guard.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:23 pm

Cool article outlining what Tua brings to the table:

https://www.phinmaniacs.com/articles/tua-traits-what-can-he-do-that-fitzpatrick-couldnt

I like this:

Anticipation: This is where the Jedi stuff comes in. A lot of QBs, even in the NFL, throw to receivers when they’re open…which is fine. Tua throws to receivers, leading them away from coverage, as they’re about to be open. He’ll see a receiver about to come out of his break into an area of the field that he can throw to; he’s able to see defenders leaving that area, or he’ll manipulate them…more on that momentarily.

One of the best examples of Tua’s ability to see receivers coming open was in the 2017-2018 National Championship against Georgia. You know the play you’ve seen a million times where Tua threw to DeVonta Smith to win the game in overtime? That’s not it. The one I’m referring to is the TD pass before that. Less than four minutes to go, 4th and 4 from about the 9 yard line, Tua is forced to his left, and throws a bullet that didn’t look like it had a prayer. What Tua saw was that Calvin Ridley had started to clear his coverage AND Georgia DB J.R. Reed was following his assignment out of the area he was throwing to. Tie game. Without this throw, there’s no overtime, no highlight game-winning championship moment. It’s one of the best throws I’ve ever seen a college QB make.

That throw made me a Tua fan, and had me dreaming of him becoming a Dolphin some day...even though I knew it would never happen. Glad I was wrong about that!

After watching that Fox documentary about Tua, there is just so much more to him than what you see on the field. All that stuff is awesome, but his focus on faith and family, and the incredible focus, drive and hard work that he has shown his entire life, especially overcoming the hip injury, is inspiring. He's an amazing human being, and he is one of those rare individuals that will do literally everything in his power to succeed. He was born for this role, and as long as he stays healthy I don't think there is any way he will fail. This is the beginning of an incredible journey for Tua and the Phins...enjoy the ride!!

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2