The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BREAKING NEWS: Tua out, Skylar in

+5
white1
CarsonChris
mercury22nathan
HalCHorn
JMP
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

BREAKING NEWS: Tua out, Skylar in Empty BREAKING NEWS: Tua out, Skylar in

Post by JMP Wed Jan 11, 2023 10:50 am

McDaniel had his press conference this morning. Here are some tweets coveruing what he said:

Barry Jackson
@flasportsbuzz

Mike McDaniel says Tua has not been cleared for on field work
11:37 AM · Jan 11, 2023

Dave Hyde
@davehydesports

Tua Tagovailoa ruled out for Sunday, Mike McDaniel says
11:39 AM · Jan 11, 2023

Andrew Siciliano
@AndrewSiciliano

Mike McDaniel:

"We will be approaching the game today as if Skyler Thompson is our starting quarterback."

Teddy Bridgewater?

"He's working to prepare himself to be capable on Sunday."

"He can't afford any setbacks."
11:40 AM · Jan 11, 2023

Chris Perkins
@chrisperk

McDaniel said Teddy Bridgewater is still working his way back and is still trying to go on Sunday. As a result, McD said, Teddy can’t afford any setbacks and they’re approach today is Skylar will start
11:39 AM · Jan 11, 2023

Marcel Louis-Jacques
@Marcel_LJ

McDaniel said Tua is learning to control what he can control -- and that medical professionals have his best interest at heart

It's "frustrating" for Tua, it was a "huge goal" for him to get the Dolphins to the playoffs and to play in them
11:41 AM · Jan 11, 2023

Barry Jackson
@flasportsbuzz

McDaniel said Tua hasn't had any setbacks but has "compounding variables" in play. Doctors are supposed to consider past concussions in clearing a player; that could be coming into play.
11:42 AM · Jan 11, 2023

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

BREAKING NEWS: Tua out, Skylar in Empty Re: BREAKING NEWS: Tua out, Skylar in

Post by JMP Wed Jan 11, 2023 10:54 am

So, yeah, Skylar Thompson is our starting QB in the playoffs. Neutral

Reading that last quote from Barry Jackson makes me wonder why past concussions come into play for Tua, but no one else. scratch

I am typically not one to jump on conspiracy theories, but it sure seems like someone is doing whatever it takes to ensure that Tua isn't cleared to play.

JMP
Admin

HalCHorn likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Jan 11, 2023 11:02 am

Well, time for McDaniel to take the training wheels of of Skylar. We do need to become a run-first team, but when it comes to passing McD needs to open it up and let Skylar fling it when the opportunities arise. We aren't winning this game with no TDs and with Hill and Waddle combining for an under 10 yards per catch average.

Pull out all the stops, Coach - whatever it takes. If we're going down, let's go down fighting.

JMP
Admin

HalCHorn likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Wed Jan 11, 2023 11:31 am

Buffalo must win the SB, the league has ordained this. We will see if I’m wrong but I expect lots of crappy calls their way every week.

HalCHorn

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Wed Jan 11, 2023 12:33 pm

JMP wrote:I am typically not one to jump on conspiracy theories, but it sure seems like someone is doing whatever it takes to ensure that Tua isn't cleared to play.

its all about optics. the NFL has made Tua the posterboy for concussions and can't afford to let him be on the field. after the visuals of Tua and then Hamlin both in primetime (and both in Cincy - what are the chances?), there is no iota of a chance the NFL is gonna let Tua see the field again this year. do you think that big long "Tua's future in doubt?" article plastered all over ESPN was by coincidence? i think not.

Hamlin - whose release from a Buffalo hospital is now the headline being pimped - has a better chance of seeing the field before Tua. in fact, the NFL desperately wants the Phins to lose this Sunday so they can put the Tua story on the backburner.

but hey, i'm not worried about Skylar - i just wanna know if McDaniel will name him the starter again when the Phins play in KC a week from this Sunday!! Twisted Evil

mercury22nathan

JMP and DolFan 316 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Wed Jan 11, 2023 12:59 pm

Let's beat the Bills one play at a time!

CarsonChris

DolFan 316 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Jan 11, 2023 1:09 pm

mercury22nathan wrote:

but hey, i'm not worried about Skylar - i just wanna know if McDaniel will name him the starter again when the Phins play in KC a week from this Sunday!!   Twisted Evil

Love it, merc! cheers That would go down as the biggest upset in playoff history, and I don't need 316 to do research to prove me right on that one! Laughing Laughing Laughing

But yeah, we probably lose the game even with Tua, but now the "doctors" are trying the remove the word "probably" from the equation. Hmmm...I wonder why??? scratch

It is clear that the league is still trying to bury Stephen Ross for getting out of the absurd racism charges from Flores. It is just as clear that the Bills are being ushered into the Super Bowl by the NFL. Just watch any Bills game and see how the refs call (or don't call) penalties and you'll get an indication. And if you think we're unhappy about it, just imagine being a fan of the Chiefs or Bengals, who both got blatantly fucked (no way to sugarcoat it) by the NFL because of Hamlin's injury. This whole situation stinks, literally and figuratively.

Too bad the trade deadline is over. We could have traded for Kenny Pickett and then watched while the NFL worked to get Pickett back into the protocol since he had two concussions this season. Rolling Eyes

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Wed Jan 11, 2023 1:11 pm

On balance, I would say I am glad that Tua is NOT playing. I'd rather not risk his long-term health right now - not with these additional injuries:

- Armstead, Jackson, Shell all OUT at tackle. We are literally down to 2nd and 3rd string tackles.
- Mostert OUT. Our best running back.
- We could field a starting defensive backfield using IR players. Jones (x2), Needham, Trill Williams (who was looking just as good as Kohou, if not better) all on IR. And X Howard is playing through something that will require offseason surgery.
- Both Hill and Waddle are hobbled with ankle injuries.

So yes, having Tua out hurts, but the rest of the injuries combined make this a very, very difficult game to win even under optimum circumstances (say, for example, the game was at home instead of cold weather away).

I'd rather he not get shelled in a losing effort.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Jan 11, 2023 1:29 pm

Have Armstead, Shell and Mostert officially been ruled out? I haven't heard anything about Shell, but it sounded like Mostert and Armstead have a chance to play - though both are of course doubtful.

Regardless, even with OL injuries Tua gave us a chance to win, and he's being held out because the league wants him held out. No other player has ever been held to this impossible standard for concussion protocol, and it's bullshit. Unfortunately, there's nothing to do about it.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Jan 11, 2023 1:51 pm

Adam Beasley
@AdamHBeasley

Armstead: "If I can drive [on my right leg], I'm going."

Adam Beasley
@AdamHBeasley

Armstead said he's "working around the clock" to play against the Bills. "I want nothing more than to be out there with my guys."

Barry Jackson
@flasportsbuzz

Armstead (hip, foot, knee, pectoral) said: "For me, it's not a pain thing. It's function of the muscle. If I can go [Sunday], I'm going." Said right leg has been an issue.

I think Armstead plays. How effective he'll be...who knows? But having him in there at any level is a big help for Skylar.

On the right side, I hope they do what they did against the Jets - Jones at RG and Hunt at RT. But that only works if Eich is healthy enough to play LG. Not sure what his status is, or Greg Little's status for that matter, for Sunday.

This OL is a damn MASH unit.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Wed Jan 11, 2023 2:06 pm

JMP wrote:It is clear that the league is still trying to bury Stephen Ross for getting out of the absurd racism charges from Flores.

funny you should mention this. i was going to bring something up that i saw the other day and thought, "nah, what's the point?" well...

in an article about the candidates to be the next Browns DC (note: many outlets, including Albert Breer of SI, are claiming that Flores is the favorite)...

The resume of Flores is an impressive one despite his controversial firing by the Miami Dolphins that cost them their 2023 first round pick. Flores went to serve as a defensive assistant under Mike Tomlin with the Pittsburgh Steelers in 2022 (mainly because he would have to give back chunks of his buyout had he taken a coordinator gig).

https://brownswire.usatoday.com/lists/browns-brian-flores-jerod-mayo-joe-woods-replace/

first, there is this narrative (being pushed by both USA Today and SI) that the Dolphins were docked the 1st rounder because of the firing of Flores (hint, hint, RACISM). that is patently FALSE. the NFL docked Miami for tampering with Brady - it had nothing to do with firing Flores. but the media is all too happy to put it out there knowing most people don't know the truth.

second, does anyone else find it mildly hypocritical that Flores is happy to continue to take checks from the team he claims treated him so poorly? so now you know his job is just a semantics work-around so he can keep the cash.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Jan 11, 2023 2:09 pm

The whole Flores thing is such a disaster, on every level. And of course, the resolution to Flores's bullshit accusations is to punish the Dolphins.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Wed Jan 11, 2023 2:48 pm

I tried to tell everybody the NFL would not allow Tua to play. He was too much of a threat to the Bills and the NFL is so determined to drag that team kicking and screaming to a title that they'd rather make their first playoff game as unwatchable as Georgia-TCU.

The next step is to somehow force Tua to retire in the offseason and then proceed to go right back to not caring about concussions at all.

And if Skylar was playing like Brock Purdy, this team would STILL have such a good chance of winning that the league would HAVE to fix the game.

Last edited by DolFan 316 on Wed Jan 11, 2023 2:57 pm; edited 1 time in total

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Wed Jan 11, 2023 2:55 pm

This goes way beyond Tua, as you guys are already figuring out. I went to see exactly how many draft picks the Fins do have this year and found this rather interesting bit.

https://www.prosportstransactions.com/football/DraftTrades/Future/Dolphins.htm

team forfeited • 2023 first round pick • 2024 third round pick for violating league policies pertaining to the integrity of the game (violated league tampering rules with Tom Brady and Sean Payton while they were under contract with other teams, and team intentionally lost games during 2019 season to improve its draft position

Because apparently a team whose roster has been completely gutted but who wins their final two games of a season and three of its last five (should've been four but the NFL decided to make them lose the Jets game) now constitutes "tanking". Yet the Colts have engaged in the two most blatantly obvious tank jobs in NFL history over the last 12 years and the NFL doesn't care. Go figure.

All I have left to hope for at this point is that the pro-Bills rigging becomes so obvious that there's an unprecedented fan backlash...but even THAT doesn't seem to make a difference these days Crying or Very sad

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Wed Jan 11, 2023 3:05 pm

JMP wrote:Love it, merc!  cheers  That would go down as the biggest upset in playoff history, and I don't need 316 to do research to prove me right on that one!  Laughing Laughing Laughing

This would be the equivalent of the NFL stepping in the week before the first Giants-Pats Super Bowl and declaring that every single Giants starter had been immediately suspended for PED use all at once...and the Giants winning anyway.

There has literally never been a playoff game in NFL history so obviously rigged against one team than this one. They are actually willing to accept a record low audience rating for this game just to punish the Fins, because they're assuming nobody will care and just watch them rig the Bills all the way to a title, SMH Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Wed Jan 11, 2023 3:16 pm

BTW remember just last year when the NFL decided to ignore their own virus protocol so multiple playoff games wouldn't get cancelled? And the media who'd been telling us the whole time that COVID 19 was the new bubonic plague suddenly declaring that it was no big deal if players who tested positive were allowed to go ahead and play anyway? Good times.

DolFan 316

JMP likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by finskev Wed Jan 11, 2023 3:42 pm

I agree with what y’all all are Talking about but want to go another Direction, Can Boyer come up with a Game Plan to Keep Buffalo to 17 and Under, Just don’t see anyway this Offense can Score 20 or more by just Running and Throwing 5 yard Passes, Time for Boyer to save His Job and does He have the Balls to try different Concepts instead of Running the same crap over and over.

finskev

Back to top Go down

Post by JEGnj Wed Jan 11, 2023 4:44 pm

With Tua healthy it could've been a blowout. Without this should be an ass kicking.
This crap is on McD and Grier. Teddy Trash is SHIT. Skylar should have been the backup and taking first team reps and learning the system instead of being thrown to the wolves to fail.
JEGnj
JEGnj

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Thu Jan 12, 2023 8:13 am

DolFan 316 wrote:The next step is to somehow force Tua to retire in the offseason

with all the silence around his condition, i was a bit concerned that maybe Tua himself was understandably having doubts about his future (and the media wanted to paint that picture) but then i saw the video of him celebrating in the tunnel after the Jets game and there's this...

The only person who has publicly said Tagovailoa plans to continue playing is his brother, Maryland quarterback Taulia. But nobody has suggested that Tagovailoa isn’t going to resume his career, and Tagovailoa told teammates he hoped to play this week, as NFL Network reported. So all indications are that Tagovailoa will continue playing.

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article269997727.html

i'm really, if anyone is gonna know his intentions, it should be his own family, right?  i look forward to another year of Tua getting even better under McDaniel's system.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Jan 12, 2023 8:21 am

finskev wrote:Can Boyer come up with a Game Plan to Keep Buffalo to 17 and Under, Just don’t see anyway this Offense can Score 20 or more by just Running and Throwing 5 yard Passes, Time for Boyer to save His Job and does He have the Balls to try different Concepts instead of Running the same crap over and over.

Really, this game is going to come down to: can the defense force turnovers (at least 2-3) and limit the Bills scoring? Yes, we need the offense to produce - absolutely. But it's not going to matter if the defense allows 30+ points. And oh yeah...tighten up STs coverage. We don't need the Bills getting two return TDs like they did last week!

I would actually limit the blitzing and just play coverage. Keep a guy close to the line to spy Allen, but otherwise just play assignment football and don't let these receivers run wide open. We've seen over and over again this season that blitzing doesn't work because we don't play coverage. I'd try something completely different - blanket everyone and let the Bills earn every yard they get. I don't want to see wide open receivers running all over the place like we see every game - change it up and cover these damn receivers.

So yeah - I think the defense needs to win this game. We have the players...can Boyer devise a scheme that will put them in position to keep the team in the game and give the offense a chance? That's the question.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Jan 12, 2023 8:22 am

Tua isn't retiring. Not even an issue.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Thu Jan 12, 2023 9:43 am

I hope not. We saw enough this year to think he can take another step in 2023. A playoff berth does help the teams confidence for sure, however short the stay may be.

I just wish we weren’t so depleted in draft stock for such a deep draft in positions we need.

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Jan 12, 2023 9:54 am

HalCHorn wrote:
I just wish we weren’t so depleted in draft stock for such a deep draft in positions we need.

Yep, but thankfully we still have some quality picks: a 2nd, two 3rds and a 4th. We should (in theory) be able to get some nice players with those selections.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Thu Jan 12, 2023 10:40 am

JMP wrote:
HalCHorn wrote:

Yep, but thankfully we still have some quality picks: a 2nd, two 3rds and a 4th.  We should (in theory) be able to get some nice players with those selections.

Should be able to... Unless Grier... Griers It!!!  I just hope they don't do something unbelievably stupid in the offseason that cost the Phins picks this year and next...for an oft injured player or two or three...

Shocked     Evil or Very Mad

Yep, I just do not see any way the Phins can stop this Bills juggernaut, especially if Hamlin is in Da'House!!  

I do disagree with JMP on letting Skylar cut it loose though. The only way the Phins win this is by limiting Josh Allen's touches and that means long sustained drives using the running game and the short passing attack. But with the state of the Oline... I doubt it is going to matter.

Also, I HOPE the Phins D can do something, but... After what we have seen from the Phins D on the road...it ain't looking real good. If they could get some pressure on Allen WITHOUT letting Allen be the Bills leading rusher, they might have a chance to hold the Bills to 20 or so...

That's assuming the Phins special teams does not look like StumbleBums-R-US!!   Shocked

I also agree Tua should probably not play this game.   You can keep saying two concussions, but from what I am reading the chances that first "back injury" was a concussion
and led to those awful images in Cincy seem fairly high.  So that's THREE CONCUSSIONS in one season!!!

That should lead anyone to be extra special careful IMO.

I do hope Tua can come back from all of this, and maybe wear one of those awful, awkward, extra padding helmets like Steve Tasker used to wear??

Hey! Let them laugh! If it keeps Tua from getting concussed, I say add another layer or two on that helmet!!!   Laughing
finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:15 am

There is a very real angle that concerns me, raised somewhere this morning.

The Dolphins themselves may decide with the concussion issue, and constant focus on Miami, that a long term investment is not the right choice.

Wouldn't that be so Miami? We find a franchise QB.... but he's damaged goods so we see him play for less than one season.

IMO McDaniel can work with any competent QB. Look what they did with Garropolo in SF. Who, btw, is kind of the same QB we have now - when healthy, he can play really well. Not at Tua's level, but still.

If they go another direction, I don't know who's out there to play QB but next season would be a throw away. Unless it's Brady, and there's a non-zero chance that happens.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next