The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Senior Bowl

+3
finfanatic
white1
JMP
7 posters

Go down

Senior Bowl Empty Senior Bowl

Post by JMP Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:56 am

Big news - the Dolphins' coaching staff will coach one of the Senior Bowl teams this year.  The game is on January 30.

It's a great opportunity for the Phins to get a first-hand, in-depth look at the players.

Last edited by JMP on Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:35 am; edited 1 time in total

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Senior Bowl Empty Re: Senior Bowl

Post by white1 Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:41 am

Good stuff. Apparently like 16 teams ahead of us decided against it. No idea why.

Any chance to get more time with draft picks is a competitive advantage, regardless of new COVID protocols.

white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:44 pm

I agree. The more time you get with the prospects in a real setting as opposed to the combine setting, I am all for it.

The agents have learned how to play that combine game and they coach up the TERDS to not show how terdy they actually are.

Hard to not show the "terd" flag or reveal a hardcore knucklehead streak in a few days of practice and drills.

finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Senior Bowl Empty Senior Bowl

Post by CarsonChris Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:47 am

Kind of crazy Miami coaches the senior bowl and gets to see Devonta Smith up close.

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:22 am

CarsonChris wrote:Kind of crazy Miami coaches the senior bowl and gets to see Devonta Smith up close.

Unfortunately he isn't going to practice or play, but it will be a great opportunity for the Phins to get to know him and see how he conducts himself off the field and in the classroom.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:11 am

and i think this becomes even more important given the virtual lack of a combine this year...

The NFL's coaches, scouts and personnel executives will not descend on Indianapolis in February for the annual scouting combine, as the league has altered the event to deal with the coronavirus pandemic.

This year, all on-field workouts will be conducted at on-campus pro days...

All interviews between the prospects and team officials will be conducted virtually, as will the psychological testing.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/30738093/nfl-changes-combine-format-due-covid-19-centralized-event-held-indianapolis

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:00 pm

No combine = MAJOR problems for any college player who decided to sit out last season. Those guys just fell 3 rounds minimum in my eyes. I personally wouldn't want to draft any of the opt-outs, but there might be so many Grier has no choice.

It sucks if you're one of those guys and I empathize completely, but at the same time you can't expect to be paid millions to do a job after you've taken a year off from training or doing it. Maurice Clarett anyone?

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:28 pm

mercury22nathan wrote:and i think this becomes even more important given the virtual lack of a combine this year...

The NFL's coaches, scouts and personnel executives will not descend on Indianapolis in February for the annual scouting combine, as the league has altered the event to deal with the coronavirus pandemic.

This year, all on-field workouts will be conducted at on-campus pro days...

All interviews between the prospects and team officials will be conducted virtually, as will the psychological testing.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/30738093/nfl-changes-combine-format-due-covid-19-centralized-event-held-indianapolis

Damn that really sucks. Pro Days are generally just a cakewalk for the players...ideal conditions with players and coaches you know and plays designed to highlight your skills. Hopefully they tweak them a bit somehow to capture some of the competition. What was great about the Combine was seeing how guys compete with other players from all over the world of college football. The small-school players especially are really going to get screwed....no opportunity to match up against big-school players that everyone already knows.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:41 pm

JMP wrote:Damn that really sucks.  Pro Days are generally just a cakewalk for the players...ideal conditions with players and coaches you know and plays designed to highlight your skills.  Hopefully they tweak them a bit somehow to capture some of the competition.  What was great about the Combine was seeing how guys compete with other players from all over the world of college football.  The small-school players especially are really going to get screwed....no opportunity to match up against big-school players that everyone already knows.

That's why game tape is and always will be the most important criteria for judging talent. And the players who opted out don't have any for last season. It's like filling out a resume when you haven't worked anywhere for a year, people can and should question that during the interview.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:48 pm

DolFan 316 wrote:
JMP wrote:Damn that really sucks.  Pro Days are generally just a cakewalk for the players...ideal conditions with players and coaches you know and plays designed to highlight your skills.  Hopefully they tweak them a bit somehow to capture some of the competition.  What was great about the Combine was seeing how guys compete with other players from all over the world of college football.  The small-school players especially are really going to get screwed....no opportunity to match up against big-school players that everyone already knows.

That's why game tape is and always will be the most important criteria for judging talent. And the players who opted out don't have any for last season. It's like filling out a resume when you haven't worked anywhere for a year, people can and should question that during the interview.

Absolutely. The Combine is really meant as a way for scouts to either confirm or "deny" what they saw on tape. If a guy if much better - or much worse - in a particular drill at the Combine than he is in games, that is a sign that you need to dig deeper. Plus, like I said, it's really hard to judge a small-school player on tape because of the competition. But you can get a better idea when you see him side by side competing in drills with big-school players. It just gives you another "measuring stick".

And yes, the players that opted out really have nothing to fall back on. The less tape the scouts have, the harder it is to make a real assessment - especially when the last tape they have is from a season ago.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:59 pm

I think you all are missing the real tragedy here. Think of all the bars, restaurants, and hookers that are going to be seriously impacted by not having the Indy combine this year. Also, think of the poor GMs who are losing their one really fun vacation time where they can cheat on their spouses and spend a week or two drunk off their asses while pretending to care about how a guy who's not in pads, not matched up against anyone, and not ostensibly playing any kind of viable football performs in a glorified track and field competition.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:10 pm

Degarmo wrote:I think you all are missing the real tragedy here.  Think of all the bars, restaurants, and hookers that are going to be seriously impacted by not having the Indy combine this year.  Also, think of the poor GMs who are losing their one really fun vacation time where they can cheat on their spouses and spend a week or two drunk off their asses while pretending to care about how a guy who's not in pads, not matched up against anyone, and not ostensibly playing any kind of viable football performs in a glorified track and field competition.  

The latent homoerotica when middle aged white guys "inspect" shirtless young muscular black men will be the most missed thing of all, I think.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:43 pm

DolFan 316 wrote:
Degarmo wrote:I think you all are missing the real tragedy here.  Think of all the bars, restaurants, and hookers that are going to be seriously impacted by not having the Indy combine this year.  Also, think of the poor GMs who are losing their one really fun vacation time where they can cheat on their spouses and spend a week or two drunk off their asses while pretending to care about how a guy who's not in pads, not matched up against anyone, and not ostensibly playing any kind of viable football performs in a glorified track and field competition.  

The latent homoerotica when middle aged white guys "inspect" shirtless young muscular black men will be the most missed thing of all, I think.

This is both disturbing and hillarious.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:48 am

Very Happy Very Happy

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:23 pm

Najee Harris will also be on the Dolphins' Senior Bowl squad!!! Cool

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:01 pm

Degarmo wrote:I think you all are missing the real tragedy here. Think of all the bars, restaurants, and hookers that are going to be seriously impacted by not having the Indy combine this year. Also, think of the poor GMs who are losing their one really fun vacation time where they can cheat on their spouses and spend a week or two drunk off their asses while pretending to care about how a guy who's not in pads, not matched up against anyone, and not ostensibly playing any kind of viable football performs in a glorified track and field competition.

I bet our former coaches knew more about the hookers than they did the players judging by the past 20 drafts

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:03 pm

There might be a Crimson Tide reunion in Miami.

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Sat Jan 23, 2021 5:58 pm

CarsonChris wrote:

I bet our former coaches knew more about the hookers than they did the players judging by the past 20 drafts

Oh, you f'in know Foerster did.  

Senior Bowl UDsVOX0

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down