The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Phins sign ex-Ravens center Matt Skura

4 posters

Go down

Phins sign ex-Ravens center Matt Skura Empty Phins sign ex-Ravens center Matt Skura

Post by JMP Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:58 pm

Just a one-year deal, so I assume we will draft his replacement.

Big, strong run blocker - 6'3", 315. Started 51 of 54 career games for Baltimore. Last season he lost his starting job after a couple of bad snaps, but he's been pretty solid overall.

Good signing, IMO - and a helluva lot cheaper than Andrews.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Phins sign ex-Ravens center Matt Skura Empty Re: Phins sign ex-Ravens center Matt Skura

Post by JMP Thu Mar 18, 2021 2:44 pm

One year, $2.1 million. That's bargain basement cost. Love it!!!

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Phins sign ex-Ravens center Matt Skura Empty Re: Phins sign ex-Ravens center Matt Skura

Post by white1 Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:07 pm

I agree with this approach to FA. The only player we really committed to long-term last year was Byron Jones. Can't complain given how our defense performed last season.

Predominantly, and as demonstrated by the Van Noy release and Lawson trade, the deals were structured to allow the team to cut ties even after one season.

We lost Godchaux but had the emerging Raekwon Davis taking his starting spot anyways, then added depth with a short FA signing.

Dare I say.... progress? If Grier hits on some players in this draft, the talent base is being further solidified with young players. We can retain those that become true blue chip talents at core positions.
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:12 pm

If Skura returns to 2019 form he's a pro bowl talent.

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:57 pm

Cool article on Skura:

https://www.palmbeachpost.com/story/sports/nfl/2021/03/19/new-miami-dolphins-center-matt-skura-feels-healthy-and-he-has-been-working-snaps/4765086001/

New Dolphins center Matt Skura has a history of committing few penalties and allowing few sacks.

But perhaps the biggest reason Skura was benched by the Ravens last November is he had two consecutive games with poor snaps.

In a loss at New England, Skura had a wild snap to running back Mark Ingram in the Wildcat formation on fourth down. Skura had another poor snap to Lamar Jackson late in the contest.

"It was the Patriots game when we were having a little bit of a torrential downpour," Skura said Friday. "But I'm someone who really doesn't like to make excuses. I don't care if it's a blizzard, a hail storm, whatever it is. That's something that I have to take responsibility for. That's one of the main things in this offseason."

So what has Skura been doing to make sure it's a non-issue as a Dolphin?

"Literally every day, snapping, whether it's 10 snaps or 30 snaps," Skura said. "Whatever time permits. I'm doing snaps. Doing o-line drills. Doing everything I can to make myself feel prepared."

"I had a few different offers," Skura said. "Seeing coach (Brian) Flores' passion for the game and how much he truly cares about his players and really wanting to improve the culture of this team, this was a big thing for me."

Skura has worked with Lamar Jackson in Baltimore and he's looking forward to forging a relationship with Tua Tagovailoa.

"One of the big things is communication," Skura said. "Him communicating on the line. Me communicating the protection changes. And also just understanding how he sees the game. Everyone is different. Everyone has different perspectives. Understanding how he sees certain blitzes. How he sees certain defenses. How he wants the offensive line to protect him are all things that go into it.

"For me, too, just building a relationship off the field helps that as well. Lamar and I have a great relationship off the field. And so I think that definitely helps us on the field. That's always been big for me. Just building those relationships. When it comes time to play communication becomes that much easier."

Skura certainly has the right attitude. I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Killah Sith Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:01 pm

I like this signing as well.

Killah Sith

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down