The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dolphins signing WR Will Fuller, per Adam Schefter

+5
DolFan 316
mercury22nathan
CarsonChris
JMP
HalCHorn
9 posters

Go down

Dolphins signing WR Will Fuller, per Adam Schefter Empty Dolphins signing WR Will Fuller, per Adam Schefter

Post by HalCHorn Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:02 pm

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Dolphins signing WR Will Fuller, per Adam Schefter Empty Re: Dolphins signing WR Will Fuller, per Adam Schefter

Post by JMP Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:12 pm

1 year, $10+ million.

I have mixed feelings on this one. Fuller is a speed demon and one of the top deep threats in the NFL. Absolute playmaker. BUT - he's always hurt.

The one-year deal makes it easier to swallow, so overall I'm OK with it, but our current top 3 receivers are all injury-prone.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Dolphins signing WR Will Fuller, per Adam Schefter Empty Re: Dolphins signing WR Will Fuller, per Adam Schefter

Post by JMP Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:15 pm

FYI - Fuller is suspended for week 1.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Thu Mar 18, 2021 6:08 pm

Why is Fuller suspended for week one?

Fuller seems durable and I value that in a player.

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Thu Mar 18, 2021 6:08 pm

I thought Fuller has only missed one game?

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Mar 18, 2021 6:25 pm

I think it's a suspension for PEDs.

Will Fuller is the opposite of durable. He's had a sports hernia, torn ACL, hamstring issues, fractured collarbone, broken ribs, etc. He played 14 games as a rookie in 2016, but since then has never played in more than 11 games.

That said, he may be the most dynamic deep receiver in all of football when he's healthy. Cross your fingers on this one...

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:55 pm

CarsonChris wrote:I thought Fuller has only missed one game?

Missed 19 games in the past 3 seasons. Most of that was 2018, which I think is the year he tore his ACL...played in just 7 games that season.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:05 pm

Back to Grier loving injured players. WTF

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:50 am

i'm ok with this signing. when healthy, or otherwise available, he a very fast and very talented. as there is no long term commitment, i don't see this a precluding the Phins from still drafting a WR high up in the draft. if anything, this give Miami some flexibility and insurance things don't pan out as planned. it also puts some talent on the field while a rookie learns. the person who should be most concerned by this signing is Preston Williams.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:54 am

mercury22nathan wrote:i'm ok with this signing.  when healthy, or otherwise available, he a very fast and very talented.  as there is no long term commitment, i don't see this a precluding the Phins from still drafting a WR high up in the draft.  if anything, this give Miami some flexibility and insurance things don't pan out as planned.  it also puts some talent on the field while a rookie learns.  the person who should be most concerned by this signing is Preston Williams.

Yep, the key is "no long term commitment". I'm fine with taking a low-risk chance on one of the league's top receiving playmakers. Tu'as going to love him.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:03 pm

JMP wrote:
mercury22nathan wrote:i'm ok with this signing.  when healthy, or otherwise available, he a very fast and very talented.  as there is no long term commitment, i don't see this a precluding the Phins from still drafting a WR high up in the draft.  if anything, this give Miami some flexibility and insurance things don't pan out as planned.  it also puts some talent on the field while a rookie learns.  the person who should be most concerned by this signing is Preston Williams.

Yep, the key is "no long term commitment". I'm fine with taking a low-risk chance on one of the league's top receiving playmakers. Tu'as going to love him.

It will be great if Tua can complete a pass longer than 4.8 yards this year!

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Fri Mar 19, 2021 1:46 pm

Would this be the same Preston Williams with the ghastly 52.6% career catch rate? He's as good as off the team now methinks.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/W/WillPr01.htm

Last edited by DolFan 316 on Fri Mar 19, 2021 1:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Fri Mar 19, 2021 1:51 pm

CarsonChris wrote:It will be great if Tua can complete a pass longer than 4.8 yards this year!

Maybe that's the real reason there's only been bargain basement spending by this team so far, Grier and Flores know that no amount of money will be good enough with Tua at QB!

But seriously, only two teams last season averaged worse than Tua's 6.3 yards per attempt, while Fitz, on the same team with the same surrounding cast, averaged 1.5 more yards per attempt Shocked Shocked Shocked

Maybe now that they've got an OC who's not from the Jurassic Era that'll change. Maybe...

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:36 pm

CarsonChris wrote:
JMP wrote:

Yep, the key is "no long term commitment".  I'm fine with taking a low-risk chance on one of the league's top receiving playmakers.  Tu'as going to love him.

It will be great if Tua can complete a pass longer than 4.8 yards this year!

Of course the passing game needs to improve - no question about it. There's a lot of things that went into the poor showing in 2020, and we've been over that a million times.

But in theory, having a full offseason and an offense designed specifically for Tua, plus adding a consistent deep threat like Fuller (and draft picks), should get us closer to the QB we saw at Alabama.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:00 pm

This is my new stance on PEDs.  Unless they are illegal in real life (the actual drug, not the crime for trafficking in false prescriptions, etc.), don't make them illegal in NFL football.  There are far too many banned substances that just force guys to do shit on the down low.  Like blood doping.  Re-injecting your own super oxygen-enriched blood should NOT be considered an issue.  It helps guys heal that are literally killing themselves early for our entertainment.  

I understand Lyle Alzado-style brain eaters/cancer causers being an issue, but a broad range of these supplements are completely safe and effective today and would actually help prevent as well as heal injury.

It's just a Draconian power measure at this point.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by Killah Sith Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:33 pm

I like Fuller as a player but like everyone else has said, the guy is always hurt.

Killah Sith

Degarmo likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:12 pm

Degarmo wrote:This is my new stance on PEDs.  Unless they are illegal in real life (the actual drug, not the crime for trafficking in false prescriptions, etc.), don't make them illegal in NFL football.  There are far too many banned substances that just force guys to do shit on the down low.  Like blood doping.  Re-injecting your own super oxygen-enriched blood should NOT be considered an issue.  It helps guys heal that are literally killing themselves early for our entertainment.  

I understand Lyle Alzado-style brain eaters/cancer causers being an issue, but a broad range of these supplements are completely safe and effective today and would actually help prevent as well as heal injury.

It's just a Draconian power measure at this point.

Great post and I completely agree. Helping players heal quickly should be a priority, whether it's PEDs or something else. With all the money the owners have invested in the players, I'm shocked that PEDs and similar substances are still banned.

JMP
Admin

Degarmo likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:29 am

Article about Fuller:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/31122118/miami-dolphins-fuller-took-one-year-deal-prove-my-worth-league

"I wanted to take a one-year just to prove my worth in the league," Fuller said Tuesday. "I've had my fair share of injuries, and I've been working really hard. I just want to prove to the NFL, to the Dolphins for taking a chance on me, that I'm a player that they would love to have long term."

Injuries might have hurt Fuller the most -- he has played just 53 of 80 games and has eclipsed 11 games in a season only once -- and his late-season suspension for violating the league's performance-enhancing drugs policy didn't help, either.

Fuller assured the Dolphins that "it was a one-time thing, completely accidental, that's never going to happen again."

Fuller said he's been working with Houston sports trainer Ben Fairchild on specialized training, with the goal of playing a complete season for the first time as a pro. His Dolphins debut will have to wait until Week 2, as he serves the final game of his PED suspension in Week 1.

Fuller said he has already talked to Tagovailoa -- whom he called an "electric player" -- on the phone and via texts about setting up Miami workouts very soon.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:03 pm

Say what you want about Fuller, and his signing doesn't wow me, but last season he had more receiving yards and TDs than anyone on this team, and would've tied for second in receptions. Hmmm...

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:26 am

DolFan 316 wrote:Say what you want about Fuller, and his signing doesn't wow me, but last season he had more receiving yards and TDs than anyone on this team, and would've tied for second in receptions. Hmmm...

If not for injuries, we might be talking about him as a top 5 receiver. As it is, he is still one of the top deep threats in the league.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:22 am

Let's hope we only need Fuller for the first six games or so, and by then the Rookie WRs...yes plural....are looking so good
that Fuller is not needed.

One can always hope anyway.

Very Happy

EDIT: I guess I should say Rookie WR and Rookie TE.... maybe??

A TE in the top 10.

That would be worth it just to get JMPs take on it!

Smile
finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:45 pm

finfanatic wrote:Let's hope we only need Fuller for the first six games or so, and by then the Rookie WRs...yes plural....are looking so good
that Fuller is not needed.

One can always hope anyway.

Very Happy

EDIT: I guess I should say Rookie WR and Rookie TE.... maybe??

A TE in the top 10.

That would be worth it just to get JMPs take on it!

Smile

Cool

For the record, despite my posts on the subject, I think Pitts is a fantastic prospect and can have a great career. I'm just not convinced he's as good as people are making him out to be, and I'm also not convinced that there is value in taking a top 10 TE. BUT - if the Phins do draft him, I'll be on board and hope for the best. I would take Pitts over Chase - but I wouldn't take him over Smith.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Umix10 Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:54 pm

I think Pitts is a great talent but we need inline blocking TE's. Which is why Smythe was drafted and Shaheen was brought in. Gesicki is gonna get his as soon as they get it all together. He by far was the most under utilized offensive threat we had. With the depleted receiving corps it was hard for him to work. Pitts could be better than Gesicki but I don't see him being waaaaaayyyy better. Which in my mind doesn't warrant taking the guy at 6. TE wasn't are weakness. Let's face it! We need a WR, RB and IOL. Period. That was our weakness on offense.
Umix10
Umix10

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:07 pm

I was watching a little bit of the Alabama Pro Day today, and seeing Smith run patterns is just...DAMN!! He may be one of the smoothest runners I've ever seen, both running straight ahead and making cuts. There is no wasted motion at all, he's both quick and fast, and his arms are about as long as a giant redwood tree is tall. It shows up on game tape for sure, but just watching him run patterns alone, uncontested, you can really see how special he is in terms of skillset. I don't care about the weight, at all. This dude is the real deal.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:23 pm

Yeah, I have been going back and forth on Smith or Waddle. Waddle would give you that electric return guy as well as a WR home run hitter.

I still think the Phins are locked in on Chase. I heard they think is gonna be the next Antonio Brown. If so, and they draft him, let's hope he ain't the nutcase Brown is!

I hear you on Pitts - I saw him do some amazing stuff at Florida last season, but I admit to wondering if he is gonna be able to duplicate that in the NFL. If I knew for sure he could, he would be worth a top 10 pick.
finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down