The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NFL stats and FA

5 posters

Go down

NFL stats and FA Empty NFL stats and FA

Post by CarsonChris Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:16 pm

I started thinking about Byron Jones today. He was one of the biggest shut down corners in the NFL while playing for the cowboys. He was kind of a bust in Miami and this got me thinking about the competition. Dallas has 8 games vs divisional opponents. Redskins, Giants, and Eagles. The Redskins and Giants have struggled with QB play and the Eagles have had some down seasons at the position. I'm wondering if Jones numbers were skewed because of the divisional rivalries?

I wonder if GM's look at the opponents of these FA players when evaluating the level of play?

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

NFL stats and FA Empty Re: NFL stats and FA

Post by DolFan 316 Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:30 am

Now THAT would be an approach based on both common sense and analytics (even if only in rudimentary form). Which is why I suspect the majority of NFL GMs would either openly reject it or never even think of it to begin with. The smart ones would, but there are only about 5 or 6 teams with smart GMs at any given time.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:16 am

A bust? No way! Jones allowed less than 3 catches a game and had a huge impact on the success of the Miami D. His presence on the field is a big reason X had such a great year. Teams targeted X (90 targets) a lot more than they did Jones (60 targets).

Sure, you do want to see better tackling and more pass break-ups from Jones. But his impact was undeniable.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:23 am

I wonder how PFF graded Jones?

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:35 am

Compare the Phins pass D the first few games without Jones versus the games with Jones on the field and i think his value (at least last year) was quite clear.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:15 pm

CarsonChris wrote:I wonder how PFF graded Jones?

When it comes to grading, PFF stands for Partially Factual Figures.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down