The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Blockbuster Trades!!!! Phins move down to 12 and then back up to 6!!!

+3
mercury22nathan
JMP
JEGnj
7 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Blockbuster Trades!!!! Phins move down to 12 and then back up to 6!!! - Page 2 Empty Re: Blockbuster Trades!!!! Phins move down to 12 and then back up to 6!!!

Post by mercury22nathan Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:31 am

"We're in a situation where when you bring in a rookie quarterback, to me it's always better, especially on the team that you have, if you've got a veteran starter there already who you like and you're comfortable winning with, that's usually the direction you want to go," Shanahan said. "And not throw someone else out into the fire until they're fully ready, and that's the situation we're at. ...

Lynch said the Niners began talking to other teams near the top of the draft weeks ago in the belief that there were up to five quarterbacks who could become the future face of the franchise. Those quarterbacks -- Clemson's Trevor Lawrence, BYU's Zach Wilson, North Dakota State's Trey Lance, Ohio State's Justin Fields and Alabama's Mac Jones -- all had at least some appeal to Shanahan and Lynch, who surveyed the quarterback landscape around the league and believed they would have no shot at any of them if they didn't make a move quickly.

"We felt pretty strongly we were gonna get left at the altar sitting there at 12," Shanahan said.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/31160240/niners-want-get-left-altar-staying-no-12-believe-jimmy-garoppolo-gives-best-chance-now

the Niners admitted they made the move to go up and get a QB.

The Eagles worked exclusively with the Dolphins, and Roseman had to keep the trade under wraps in the two-plus weeks in between to allow for the bang-bang nature of how it eventually would go down. And with the Eagles believing there is a pretty good chance the Bengals will take LSU’s Ja’Marr Chase at five (we mentioned in our mock this week that that Joe Burrow has given Cincinnati’s brass a glowing recommendation), Philly felt comfortable with the difference in talent between six and 12—and also operated with the knowledge that it’d be hard to get a future first (this being Miami’s slotted No. 1 in 2022) in exchange for moving down closer to the draft, particularly if it looked like the top four picks would be QBs.

https://sports.yahoo.com/eagles-traded-down-idea-ja-134544771.html

the Eagles moved back considering 4 QBs and their target Ja'Marr Chase would be gone.

things are falling in line quite nicely for Miami. if indeed things fall as the Eagles predict, Miami would have their choice of Smith or Pitts. will Carolina or Denver try to flip with Detroit to get the 5th QB? would Miami chance moving back with Carolina (or potentially Denver depending on what Detroit does) and still getting either Smith or Pitts?

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Blockbuster Trades!!!! Phins move down to 12 and then back up to 6!!! - Page 2 Empty Re: Blockbuster Trades!!!! Phins move down to 12 and then back up to 6!!!

Post by finfanatic Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:28 am

I still say if the Jets do not take Wilson, which is what they NEED to do, so I hope they don't... that will REALLY open the door
for Miami to get some more picks in a trade down but stay in the top ten. There needs to be at least one of those QBs left in play when Miami is on the clock.

And if the Falcs choose not to go QB.... things could get... in the immortal words of Artie Feldman... "Very Interesting!"
finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:13 pm

with SF telegraphing their desire for a QB at 3, that tells every team that if they want to guarantee getting their QB (other than Lawrence) they need to move up to the Jets spot. so if the Jets don't take a QB or trade with a QB needy team for a boatload of picks - but sit at 2 and select anyone but a QB, then they are as dumb as they've always been (i hope so).

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:52 pm

I'm actually hoping the Jets take Wilson. I see big bust potential there. Sure, he has a fantastic arm...but he's got crap mechanics and he's a one-year wonder. I'd label him a "project", just like Lance, Fields and Jones.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Umix10 Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:02 pm

Who knows...this might be a ploy for the Niners as well. They could be the ones that fuck this whole thing up.

The niners are down because they were plagued with injuries from QB to both all pro DE. They aren't in a rebuild. They have pieces in place that could make them a contender with a QB. But I don't think the answer is a rookie QB. They could be parlaying the #3 to get a QB and Still be in the top 10. Likely or unlikely, the possibility exists
Umix10
Umix10

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:03 am

The Falcons extended Ryan's contract, so he has like 40 mill of dead money next season if they cut him.

If they do go QB, he will sit behind Ryan this year and next. Which makes Trey Lance, the guy who needs development, the pick IMO.

If it t'were me... and Justin Fields the GA kid is there... I would draft him.

Which is one reason the Phins traded down I am thinking. Rolling Eyes
finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:23 am

Justin Fields is a Buckeye. You don't tug on Superman's cape, you don't spit in the wind, and above all else you never EEEVER draft a QB from Ohio St. Seriously, don't do it. Whoever's foolish enough to actually take Fields will rue the day. RUE, I tell you!

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:31 am

DolFan 316 wrote:Justin Fields is a Buckeye. You don't tug on Superman's cape, you don't spit in the wind, and above all else you never EEEVER draft a QB from Ohio St. Seriously, don't do it. Whoever's foolish enough to actually take Fields will rue the day. RUE, I tell you!

Fields is one of the least impressive "top" QB prospects I've ever seen. But that 4.4 he ran yesterday - while stumbling - will trick some team into thinking he's such an athletic freak that he can't miss. Happens every year - teams fall in love with athletes and take them over football players.

To his credit, Fields does seems to be a tough SOB and a hard worker...unlike Dwayne Haskins, the last OSU QB bust.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:40 am

JMP wrote:Happens every year - teams fall in love with athletes and take them over football players.

That's a shot at Pitts isn't it? ISN'T IT??? Razz

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:23 am

DolFan 316 wrote:
JMP wrote:Happens every year - teams fall in love with athletes and take them over football players.

That's a shot at Pitts isn't it? ISN'T IT??? Razz

LOL, no, it really isn't! It is intended as a shot at all these highly-rated QB prospects like Fields, Lance and Wilson. And Jayson Oweh, a DE who runs a sub-4.4 but has no production at a big school.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:10 am

Maybe this is just a smokescreen. But maybe not...

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2021/03/falcons-interested-in-te-kyle-pitts-at-no-4

Even if Pitts really does go at #4 (which would make him the highest drafted TE ever) there's no way the Bengals would take Smith over Chase or Sewell, right?

RIGHT?!?!

I suspect the reason the 49ers traded up to 3 instead of 6 is because they were convinced the Falcons were going QB. Because otherwise there's no reason to trade up that high when you know the Fins and Bengals won't be drafting a QB at picks 3 or 5. IMO the Falcons are the biggest wild cards of this draft. They could literally go in any direction (QB, TE, WR, OL, D) and it would make sense for them.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:10 pm

DolFan 316 wrote:Maybe this is just a smokescreen. But maybe not...

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2021/03/falcons-interested-in-te-kyle-pitts-at-no-4

Even if Pitts really does go at #4 (which would make him the highest drafted TE ever) there's no way the Bengals would take Smith over Chase or Sewell, right?

RIGHT?!?!

I suspect the reason the 49ers traded up to 3 instead of 6 is because they were convinced the Falcons were going QB. Because otherwise there's no reason to trade up that high when you know the Fins and Bengals won't be drafting a QB at picks 3 or 5. IMO the Falcons are the biggest wild cards of this draft. They could literally go in any direction (QB, TE, WR, OL, D) and it would make sense for them.

The Falcons are definitely the wildcard. Personally, I think OL and defense should be their primary targets based purely on need. But, Pitts also makes a lot of sense for them - given the $ commitment they have in Matt Ryan and the fact that their #1 TE is currently the underwhelming Hayden Hurst.

The Bengals really should be targeting Sewell and no one else. They have two very good (maybe great) WRs already, but their OL sucks. Their TE position is a huge, gaping hole so Pitts makes sense for them as well. Of course, you have the Burrow-Chase connection. But - Burrow is going to have a very short career if they don't fix the OL. I'd go so far to say the Bengals taking anyone other than Sewell is irresponsible.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:21 am

Yeah, the Falcs are interesting.

I think they should probably go for Justin Fields, to sit behind Ryan a year or two. But they REALLY need pass rushing help. And Fields is an OSU QB, so there is that big negative for him. Wink

I saw an analyst on the NFL (Frelund I think her name is) have the Falcons taking Kwitty Paye at #4!!!

They have been desperately needing a pass rush for a few years and nothing they have tried has worked, so... I would think if Paye was the target, they might try and trade down.

After looking at a few different ratings boards, I am thinking this draft could be wild and wacky! There seems to be a whole range of different rankings at every position.

Wouldn't it be nice to see some teams pull a few Lageman, Mamula, Jamarcus Russel type draft day blunders? That always makes the draft so much better when you can see Mel Kiper get irate!!!

Except for the Phins of course. No draft day blunders by the Phins please.

Blockbuster Trades!!!! Phins move down to 12 and then back up to 6!!! - Page 2 1f615
finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2