The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Jets trade Darnold to Panthers

+2
DolFan 316
JMP
6 posters

Go down

Jets trade Darnold to Panthers Empty Jets trade Darnold to Panthers

Post by JMP Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:29 pm

This probably means the Panthers are no longer looking to trade up???

Jets get a 6th this year, and a 2nd and 4th next year. Not exactly a big haul for a young starting-caliber QB.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Jets trade Darnold to Panthers Empty Re: Jets trade Darnold to Panthers

Post by DolFan 316 Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:12 pm

BAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Imagine two months ago thinking you could possibly trade for Watson and winding up so desperate you had to settle for...DARNOLD! Laughing Laughing Laughing And people say the TEXANS are a dumpster fire Rolling Eyes

I agree, Grier should just stay where he is instead of trading down to 9 and losing out on Pitts AND Smith. That would be one of the all-time biggest draft blunders in franchise history, maybe second only to the Dion Jordan fiasco.

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:29 pm

Here in NY, I find it funnier from a Jets perspective.  Delusional fans have been talking for months about how many firsts they'd get for Darnold!    Jets trade Darnold to Panthers 1f602  Jets trade Darnold to Panthers 1f602  Jets trade Darnold to Panthers 1f602

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:16 pm

The Jets got a great deal. Darnold is not going to be anything of merit.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:27 pm

Degarmo wrote:The Jets got a great deal.  Darnold is not going to be anything of merit.

I think he's better than Wilson, so I see this as a major blunder. We'll see...

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Umix10 Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:16 am

Jets are just trying the dolphins approach and acquiring as many picks as possible but utterly failing at execution.
Umix10
Umix10

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:50 am

Well, EVERYONE KNEW the Jets were going to draft a QB this year, so they had absolutely no leverage. I heard they even used Darnold's pic on their ticket sales page! But then again, who do they have they could put on there?

Darnold is good, but I do not think he is ever going to be great. If they are expecting greatness, then the Panthers are in for a rude awakening IMO.

I am somewhat worried that Saleh may be very good. But then again... it is the Jets. The whole NY Media situation makes the job a nightmare.

I am really hoping the Jets "Scroogy the pooch" yet again! There is no schadenfreude like Jets Shcadenfreude IMO! Jets trade Darnold to Panthers 1f600

I wonder what becomes of Bridgewater? He snubbed the Dolphins, went to the Panthers, and now he has been cast aside it seems. He could possibly have been the starter for the Phins had he not decided to stay a backup with the Saints?

Some guys are just snakebit it seems.
finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:27 am

finfanatic wrote:Well, EVERYONE KNEW the Jets were going to draft a QB this year, so they had absolutely no leverage. I heard they even used Darnold's pic on their ticket sales page! But then again, who do they have they could put on there?

Darnold is good, but I do not think he is ever going to be great. If they are expecting greatness, then the Panthers are in for a rude awakening IMO.

I am somewhat worried that Saleh may be very good.  But then again... it is the Jets. The whole NY Media situation makes the job a nightmare.

I am really hoping the Jets "Scroogy the pooch" yet again! There is no schadenfreude like Jets Shcadenfreude IMO!   Jets trade Darnold to Panthers 1f600

I wonder what becomes of Bridgewater?  He snubbed the Dolphins, went to the Panthers, and now he has been cast aside it seems. He could possibly have been the starter for the Phins had he not decided to stay a backup with the Saints?

Darnold is now reunited with WR Robby Anderson. They did some good things together with the Jets, but Anderson didn't really flourish until he got to the Panthers. It'll be interesting to see how Darnold does in Carolina, with a good receiving corps and OL and the best pass-catching RB in all of football. He could surprise. I'm actually rooting for him, so we can see this trade blow up on the Jets! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

As for Robert Saleh, it seems like the "rah rah" cheerleader-type assistant coaches never make good head coaches, but we'll see. He is certainly a good defensive mind. He'll face some adversity on what should be a bad Jets team.

I hate to say it, but the Jets are building things the right way by stockpiling draft picks. I'm not sold on their GM, Joe Douglas, but at least they have the right idea.

Finally, Bridgewater can't seem to catch a break. He's better than a lot of the starting QBs in this league IMO.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:08 am

Compare this to what Grier traded for Rosen, which was a 2019 2nd and a 2020 5th. Utterly nonsensical, which I said at the time, but the Panthers actually gave up one MORE pick for Darnold, who won't work out any better for them than Rosen did in Miami.

(And while I'm tooting my own horn, who said from the start that both Rosen *and* Darnold would be busts? Me, that's who.)

BTW the Cards spent that 2nd on...Andy Isabella (oof) and wound up trading the 5th right back to the Fins for Drake. Grier then traded that same 5th to the 49ers for Breida, which the 49ers used to finally pick somebody (OT Colton McKivitz). So don't think the Jets will necessarily use this mini-haul to actually improve their team that much.

Last edited by DolFan 316 on Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:12 am; edited 1 time in total

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by DolFan 316 Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:10 am

finfanatic wrote:I wonder what becomes of Bridgewater?  He snubbed the Dolphins, went to the Panthers, and now he has been cast aside it seems. He could possibly have been the starter for the Phins had he not decided to stay a backup with the Saints?

No sympathy for Bridgewater. Like Clowney, he made a choice and now he looks silly for it. But at the same time who's to say we wouldn't have rejected this team too if we were an NFL free agent in 2019, knowing what a dumpster fire they had been (and appeared they were going to still be last season)?

DolFan 316

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:03 pm

DolFan 316 wrote:
finfanatic wrote:I wonder what becomes of Bridgewater?  He snubbed the Dolphins, went to the Panthers, and now he has been cast aside it seems. He could possibly have been the starter for the Phins had he not decided to stay a backup with the Saints?

No sympathy for Bridgewater. Like Clowney, he made a choice and now he looks silly for it. But at the same time who's to say we wouldn't have rejected this team too if we were an NFL free agent in 2019, knowing what a dumpster fire they had been (and appeared they were going to still be last season)?

Yeah, I agree. Hard to fault Bridgewater for the decision. It DID look like the Phins were going into full on "Tank for Tua" mode. So, being the starter for 1 or 2 seasons on a bad, really bad team and knowing that the Phins were probably going to draft a QB?

Maybe he will end up on a good team. I bet Da'Bears are kicking themselves in the wedding-tackle area! They could have waited and got Bridgewater.
finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:19 pm

Bridgewater's best fit might be Denver. He deserves to start somewhere.

Not so sure that the Saints wouldn't have been better off just signing him long-term and making him Brees' heir apparent. There was little dropoff while Bridgewater was in for Brees in 2019, and I'd much rather have him than Winston.

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:09 am

Payton is another one of those Parcells disciples that "gets too cute" sometimes according to Parcells, who lost all my respect when he drafted and OT instead of taking the top rated QB in the draft.

Payton just LOVES being able to send Hill in and do that RPO stuff.

Which is nice and all, but without the main QB, I think it is a luxury.

finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by HalCHorn Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:01 am

Parcells just wasn't sold on Matt Ryan. He got that wrong, but hey, it could have been worse, he could have drafted Vernon Gholston. At least Long was very productive over his too-short career.

IMO the bigger blunder to take one of those gadget players, Pat White, ahead of several choices the following year who could have filled a lineup need for years.

HalCHorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down