The Dolfan Cave
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

McCain Released

+4
finfanatic
white1
JMP
Killah Sith
8 posters

Go down

McCain Released Empty McCain Released

Post by Killah Sith Thu May 06, 2021 10:08 am

According to Armando Bobby McCain has been released.

Killah Sith

Back to top Go down

McCain Released Empty Re: McCain Released

Post by JMP Thu May 06, 2021 10:22 am

https://dolphinswire.usatoday.com/2021/05/06/report-dolphins-inform-safety-bobby-mccain-of-his-release/

The Miami Dolphins, according to a report from ESPN’s Adam Schefter, will be releasing veteran free safety Bobby McCain today after spending the last two seasons as the team’s primary free safety.

This move for Miami will save the Dolphins over $5.5M in salary cap space for the upcoming season, opening significant room to help the Dolphins ensure they’re able to get their 2021 rookie class under contract without any trouble or having to restructure any additional contracts. But his departure will keep $1.48M on the books in dead salary cap, so the Dolphins will have some lingering effects of McCain’s contract on their books for the upcoming season.

Whether or not Holland steps into the free safety role to replace McCain is yet to be determined. He’s got plus ball skills with 19 career interceptions and passes defensed combined through two seasons at Oregon. But his range on the back end is something that may be a hurdle that prompts Holland to play closer to the line of scrimmage.

What happens in the coming days will be telling. If the Dolphins commit to signing Hooker after their mid-week free agent visit, than Holland appears ready for a role in the nickel and potentially as an early down defender at strong safety. But if Miami stands firm, it seems they’re willing to bet big on Holland’s potential as their deep man in the middle.

JMP
Admin

https://dolfancave.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by white1 Thu May 06, 2021 10:39 am

Surprised, but not shocked. I was thinking McCain may move back to nickel/slot. Shows what I know about the team and what they think about the secondary.

I'm wondering, did that drubbing in Buffalo to end the season fall on McCain?
white1
white1

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Thu May 06, 2021 11:26 am

They paid WAY TOO MUCH for him IMO.

I think this might be more cap related than McCain's performance, but he did always seem to be a little slow in giving help, which is a reading "the play/the QB" problem I think. McCain at a lesser salary might have been kept.

But Holland SHOULD be a a major upgrade.

Assuming they play him at FS.
finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by mercury22nathan Thu May 06, 2021 11:26 am

good player who being paid (perhaps overpaid) for his accomplishments as a slot corner. was moved to safety and played decent, but was not impactful. he continued to have excellent coverage metrics...

McCain comes off of a very solid season. In his 503 coverage snaps, McCain was second best in the league in passer rating against (27.5).

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article251188334.html

...but only made 1 interception and wasn't a great tackler. i would've liked to see a pay cut and perhaps a move back to the slot, but alas that wasn't in the cards. i'll be curious to see where he ends up and at what position (CB vs S) and for how much.

mercury22nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu May 06, 2021 12:33 pm

McCain was exactly what we needed during the Flores rebuild: a leader in the secondary that could hold down the fort. But now, Flores is ready to take this defense to the next level with impact players that fit his scheme and vision. McCain is not an impact player, and despite doing his job well he was never an ideal fit in his role.

I did like McCain, but I look at this as a good thing. First, Flores is not content to sit back and keep things as they are - he is constantly looking to get better. Second, I think this move is a sign that Flores thinks this team is ready to take a big step forward.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu May 06, 2021 12:35 pm

finfanatic wrote:

But Holland SHOULD be a a major upgrade.

Assuming they play him at FS.

It all depends on Hooker. If the Phins sign Hooker, he becomes the every-down FS and Holland becomes the "play everywhere" chess piece. But if Hooker isn't signed, Holland will see a lot of action at FS.

But agreed - with Holland's size, speed and playmaking ability, he should be a big upgrade once he settles in.

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by finfanatic Thu May 06, 2021 1:41 pm

I heard they were trying to get Holland to wear a jersey with...

Jevon "Minkah" Holland

on the back!!!

But that could be just a rumor?

Laughing
finfanatic
finfanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by Umix10 Thu May 06, 2021 2:01 pm

I think if Hooker signs with the Dolphins it'll be Hooker and Jones in the back and Holland the Jack safety. Jones played decent. I would love to see what he could do without Rowe or McCain in front of him
Umix10
Umix10

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Thu May 06, 2021 2:19 pm

finfanatic wrote:I heard they were trying to get Holland to wear a jersey with...

Jevon "Minkah" Holland

on the back!!!

But that could be just a rumor?

Laughing

😂😂😂 Classic

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by CarsonChris Thu May 06, 2021 2:20 pm

I've heard Hooker's are good with balls. I hope our Hooker is!

CarsonChris

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Thu May 06, 2021 2:30 pm

CarsonChris wrote:I've heard Hooker's are good with balls. I hope our Hooker is!

Laughing Laughing Laughing

JMP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Degarmo Fri May 07, 2021 12:58 am

CarsonChris wrote:I've heard Hooker's are good with balls. I hope our Hooker is!

Does this mean they're good when they have balls, or what they do with balls, because those are two entirely different things.

Degarmo

Back to top Go down

Post by JMP Fri May 07, 2021 9:18 am

Very important question, Degarmo. VERY important.

JMP
Admin

Degarmo likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down